NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
I grew up a huge fan of Rickey Henderson and marveled how he could really dominate a game in his prime. I've twice paid for his autograph in person at shows in Chicago, once in 2000 and then this past summer at the National. For a long time, Rickey wouldn't sign game used items, then he changed his motto and would sign game used items for 'double' the autograph price of a non-game used item......what a deal, thanks Rickey . I was surprised to see at last year's National that he would sign 'any bat' for one price and there were no stipulations regarding game used items. I brought a nice mid 80's gamer I've had for years with me and handed it to him to sign. He looked it over and kind of acted funny about it. He pointed out all the game use on it to the autograph rep/employee seated next to him as if there might be a problem. He hesitated while talking to the guy for a moment and they decided to 'check on something later'......maybe signing game used items should have been more clearly stated in Rickey's contract that day?? Anyways, he asked where I wanted it signed, planted a nice one on there and happily handed it back to me with a big smile, a thank you and a firm handshake. Rickey's attitude was the same way back in 2000, as well. He was a nice guy both times.
Matt,
Why would Rickey care if it was game-used?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
BJ Cunningham

Default Game-Used

I've wondered if the player suspected that it had been stolen from him or his team, and didn't want to contribute to any illegal practice.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
And.rew Whi.te

The players know the value of their game used equipment and how much more the item is worth if they sign it. Many know they can get some extra money for signing game used and I am sure thats probably what Rickey was thinking. (Yes, it is a bit cynical)
Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Pete Sycks

I just thought of another experience with a HOFer. I was helping out at a MN Twins youth baseball clinic a couple years back and Molitor was there for half a day. He signed for everyone and I almost missed him and caught him just before he was pulling away and he signed 2 bats and 2 balls for me while he was in his car and shook my hand. He still looks in playing shape. Molitor was amazing to everyone at the clinic.

ps. Carew was at another clinic and the kid in front of me asked Rod to sign the butt of his dirty pants that he wasn't wearing at the time. He was confused, but did it anyways.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Matt

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
The players know the value of their game used equipment and how much more the item is worth if they sign it. Many know they can get some extra money for signing game used and I am sure thats probably what Rickey was thinking.
Andrew.........That's a spot on explanation in most cases. In Rickey's world, I'm sure Rickey didn't want Rickey getting the short end of the deal.....or something like that
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM

When I was in the Army in the early 90's in NC, I met Harmon Killebrew at a signing at a new department store in the local mall. He was very nice, chatted a little with everyone, and offered to personalize the autograph any way you wanted it. Even with all the problems he had after he retired, he was a total class act.

I also had a chance to meet a non-HOF, Chuck Tanner, around 15 years ago after he spoke at my college. Great guy. You could tell after being with him for 5 minutes that he truly loved the game of baseball.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think it is safe to say that the pre-big business encounters with athletes were more satisfying. The old timers were happy to be making a decent but modest fee for being at shows and were nicer than the assembly line stuff that goes on today.

My absolute favorite baseball player encounters were with Sandy Koufax and Luke Appling. I went to a show when I was in school where Koufax was signing for about $6 or so--probably around 1988 or 1989. I didn't want an autograph but a co-worker at my summer job had a card [1966 Topps] he'd saved from when he was a kid and wanted it signed. I told Koufax I was getting the card for a friend and said that I just wanted to shake his hand...and I got to shake hands with Sandy Koufax. Another Koufax story: in 2005 he came to L.A. for a 50th anniversary of the Brooklyn Dodgers. A client of mine was a friend of his from the old days and asked me if I wanted Koufax to sign something when he had lunch with Koufax. I gave him a ball that Nolan Ryan had signed for me and asked for the same inscription and personalization. The client called me back later and said that Koufax looked at the ball and said "WTF do I want to be on a ball with Ryan for?" Of course Koufax was joking and I have a nice, inscribed and personalized Ryan-Koufax dual signed ball. I had Luke Appling sign an exhibit card at a local show. Not only was he personalizing signatures but he took a look at my card and told me chapter and verse about how miserable it was to play in the dark colored heavy felt uniform that was shown on the card. Chuck Connors was cool too, talked a mile a minute with the fans, very gregarious guy.

Boxers have been the nicest ex-athletes I've encountered. Some of them are genuinely pleased and surprised just to be remembered. Joltin' Jeff Chandler, a HOFer, told me that at a World Boxing HOF event here in L.A. Terrible Terry Norris had his 12 year old daughter with him at that event. I overheard her saying that she had all of her father's cards so I asked her if she had one that I had doubles of, she said no, so I gave it to her. Norris then asked me for the other card, asked my name, and personalized it for me, no charge or anything. I had a long conversation with Brian Mitchell, a South African HOFer, about the miserable time he had dealing with pro sports as a South African during the apartheid era. Carlos Ortiz was hilarious. I told him that I had a card of his that I forgot to bring and he said "you F***ed up, my friend." Emile Griffith was really nice; he was actually worried about whether I would like the signature on the card I handed him. Ken Norton was cool, and I was actually pretty nervous to meet him, I mean he's the guy who broke Ali's jaw. HOF trainer Emanuel Steward was doing a publicity event with Lennox Lewis here in L.A. years ago and I noticed that he was alone in the ring after Lewis took the crowd over to the stage, so I asked him to sign a card for me. He not only agreed, he corrected all of the typos on the card while he was signing it.

I ran into Jim Brown in the hallway at the hotel in Cleveland a few Nationals ago when he was doing the show and also going to Canton for the FB HOF. I bumped into him and looked up and said "Hey, you're Jim Brown, but you probably know that already." He cracked up and wished me a good morning. Still built like a Mack truck, BTW.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Mike Navarro

I've met a ton of HOF'ers in different sports over the years, celebrities in other fields, Presidents, etc, but Ali has been my favorite. I met him on a few different occasions from a couple different card shows, to bumping into him at Notre Dame a time or two. My favorite time was meeting him at a show circa 18 years ago. While waiting to meet him, they had video monitors up playing highlights of his legendary boxing career with sound bytes. I signed up for a photo op, so that was first. When I first met him, I was kind of sad as he moved pretty slow and talked real soft, however, he was a showman when we were taking pictures, and we took a couple different poses, much different than the hurried photo ops that the promoters push you through today. One of the poses was him punching me on the chin and me looking like I was recoiling in pain, very cool. One thing I asked him was how it felt to be "The Greatest". He smiled and bent down in my ear and spoke in classic Ali, "It feels good", very neat moment for me. This is my autographed photo from that photo op:

After the photo op, we had to wait in another line to get autographs on our other items. As I approached in line, I would watch him sign and move pretty slow, but every now and then, a young kid would approach and Ali would throw out several fast shadow punches, or do a magic trick or something. Very cool and highly entertaining. I got up there to get my glove signed, and he signed it "Muhammad Ali AKA Cassius Clay" for me, and then he stood up in front of me, started leaning toward me, and he started writing on my chest. He was autographing the shirt you see me wearing in the picture above while I was wearing it (you can't see it in the pic as it wasn't signed for the photo op) very cool experience.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Steve Zarelli

Very nice, Mike. What a great encounter.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
Let me start by saying that for every bad experience I have ever had with meeting sports stars or getting autographs, I have also had many good ones as well! This is just another which seems to stand our in my mind of a bad experience.
At one time, I collected signatures of players who appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I would send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the S.I. if I had an address and sometimes would get them back in the mail. On this occasion, I already had two signatures on the cover (Rose/Perez), so I just sent a letter of inquiry asking if it might be alright if I sent the issue to Joe Morgan. You can see my answer.
I then waited until a sports show near where I live where he was appearing...paid my $22.00 fee and stayed until I was the last person in line not wanting to attract any extra attention...Once he signed the mag, I put this note in front of him and asked what the problem was...didn't think he wanted me sending anything to his work place at ESPN so just wanted clarification......I think he was caught off guard as he said something to the effect that his fan mail once had gotten mixed with his house payment and other bills and it really messed him up. Wow....a house payment for Joe Morgan...wonder which house?? I believed that story.

Another example...when the camera is on....the person appears as a really nice guy...but behind the scenes...a total jerk....I also heard he was not too happy when Ryne Sandberg was elected to the Hall and did someone vote not to put Santo in recently as well??? 15-1 or something....gee....could the 1 have been??
This sounds alot like Lee Trevino as well....total jerk but then there is Arnold Palmer as well---a really class act or in todays world...Tiger and Phil..
Wow! Nice!!! I love the envelope.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Haven't seen Whitey Ford mentioned in the thread yet.

Found out Whitey Ford was signing at the Long Island national last year, and decided to go. My grandfather was a childhood friend of Whitey, and I had always wanted to meet him.

Anyhow, he signed my item, and chatted with me for a good five minutes about his childhood. After walking around the show with my 2 year old son and wife, I mentioned to one of the dealers that I wished I asked Whitey for a photo to show my grandfather. They were kind enough to walk me back over with my son, and Whitey was more than happy to pose for a photo with my son and I. After he was done signing, Whitey ran into my son and I as he was heading out, and stopped for a few minutes to play with my son. My son got a few laughs, and Whitey shook my hand and patted my son on the head before he went on his way.

I met Juan Marichal at the White Plains show... his line was virtually empty (where as Lenny Dykstra's extended forever). My father-in-law grew up in the Dominican Republic, and idolized Marichal. Marichal had a nice conversation with us, and posed for a photo with my son and my father-in-law.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I've met a ton of HOF'ers in different sports over the years, celebrities in other fields, Presidents, etc, but Ali has been my favorite. I met him on a few different occasions from a couple different card shows, to bumping into him at Notre Dame a time or two. My favorite time was meeting him at a show circa 18 years ago. While waiting to meet him, they had video monitors up playing highlights of his legendary boxing career with sound bytes. I signed up for a photo op, so that was first. When I first met him, I was kind of sad as he moved pretty slow and talked real soft, however, he was a showman when we were taking pictures, and we took a couple different poses, much different than the hurried photo ops that the promoters push you through today. One of the poses was him punching me on the chin and me looking like I was recoiling in pain, very cool. One thing I asked him was how it felt to be "The Greatest". He smiled and bent down in my ear and spoke in classic Ali, "It feels good", very neat moment for me. This is my autographed photo from that photo op:

After the photo op, we had to wait in another line to get autographs on our other items. As I approached in line, I would watch him sign and move pretty slow, but every now and then, a young kid would approach and Ali would throw out several fast shadow punches, or do a magic trick or something. Very cool and highly entertaining. I got up there to get my glove signed, and he signed it "Muhammad Ali AKA Cassius Clay" for me, and then he stood up in front of me, started leaning toward me, and he started writing on my chest. He was autographing the shirt you see me wearing in the picture above while I was wearing it (you can't see it in the pic as it wasn't signed for the photo op) very cool experience.
Awesome Ali story, Mike!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
LOL

This reminds me of another story I forgot about.

I saw Goose Gossage at a show back in the late 90s. At the time he was probably in his late 40s and I think he was coaching some semi-pro team. Despite his gray hair and a bit of a gut, he looked like he was in great shape and his arms were ripped.

I said something to the effect of how he looked like he was in game shape and could still bring it.

I was around 30 at the time. He looked me up and down through squinted eyes and replied, "I could still f%$^ing strike out your ass."
Awesome story, Steve!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Andrew Parks

1. When I was ten years old (1982) Bob Feller was making an appearance at our local mall. I couldn't wait to meet. I was a baseball freak and knew baseball stats as well as anyone. I was the first one there with my dad and was there before he was. He finally walked in with another guy and patiently waited for him to set up. I heard him say, "We should put a sign up so the kids know who I am."

He finally got all set up. I walked up to him and said, "I know who you are Mr. Feller. You won 266 games and struck out over 300 one year." He got the biggest grin on his face and signed my ball, "To Andrew, Best of luck. Bob Feller" I still have it.

2. In the late 70s and early 80s we would go see the Orioles and wait after the game for the players to come out. My sister and mom went to the Red sox side once in 1979. Yaz came out during his chase for 3000 hits and had a huge case of beer. My ten year old sister went up to him to get his autograph and ran right over her, knocking her to the ground. He didnt say a word, got in his sports car and sped off.

Last edited by matty6; 02-06-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Nick Edson

Default Harmon Killebrew

Another Hall of Famer who was great was the late Harmon Killebrew. He was making an appearance at a celebrity golf tournament at our Jack Nicklaus course here in Traverse City. After I got done with our interview, we were just chatting about some of the old, great stadiums he played in. Out of the blue, he said, "You know, the hardest ball I ever hit was in the old White Sox park." I asked him if he meant the longest ball he had ever hit. "No," he replied. "I mean the hardest I've ever hit a baseball. I can't remember who was pitching - it might have been Gary Peters - and I hit a ball on a rope that just cleared the fence in left field, hit one of those old steel girders, and bounced almost all the way back to shortstop. It landed in shallow leftfield. Aparicio went out and retrieved it as I was rounding the bases. He laughed and told me I could have killed someone... and he was right."
Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Pat Gillick

For me the nicest is Pat Gillick. Over the last few years I have become acquainted with him through work. I have never asked him to sign things for me as I did not want to come across as a sports memorabilia collector at the same time that I am trying to have him provide me career advice. He always is prompt at returning emails with suggestions / feedback. He has the most unbelievable memory that I have ever met.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I liked reading all the stories, I think most people have good and bad days. Also some people change.

I got to meet Joe D. back in 1996 I think at the AC show. I was nearer to the end of the line and stood there talking to everyone about Joe. I started hearing every horror story about him. He won't sign this, he won't sign that, he won't talk to you, don't speak to him, etc. But I really wanted to get a good photo with both me and Joe in the pic. I watched the whole show as people would just stand there and say nothing but "thank you" and snap a pic and run. So whe I got up there I had the guy behind me take the picture. I told him I was gonna lean across the table and turn to face him so we would both be in the photo. But since Joe was a signing machine he always had his head down. As he was signing my ball I said, "hey Joe, you mind if I get a picture with you?" He stopped dead and looked me up and down, then said "sure, come around". I ran around the table which was like 50 feet long! I'm pretty sure I was the only person who got to pose with Joe. You can see the picture as it is my ID photo on here.

As for Pete Rose, I first met him in 1996 (same show as Joe) and he was as I expected. He was signing faster than anyone in the room. I figured he was like that and had to beat everyone. How else do you get 4256 hits! He would not pose for a photo. But after about 10 years I saw him again. This time I watched him sign my scorecard and picked it up quickly to get out of his way. To my surprise he asked me how he did in the particular game. I said "one for four". Pete said "bad day" LOL He was genuinely nicer the second time. I think age is softening him. Or maybe he's trying to win support for the HOF, either way.

Last year I got to meet Bob Feller. I wanted to meet him in person because I really respect a guy who volunteers to go into the service when his country called. Bob went before he was called, not many players did that. Bob had done a lot of shows so I always thought I would meet him. But I thought that about Mickey Mantle also and he died before I got around to it. So I was so happy to meet Bob a year before he passed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me&feller.jpg (66.1 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 02-06-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:56 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

This is a great thread! I'm really enjoying the anecdotes, both the positive and the negative ones. Keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post

Looks like this photo was taken behind Plexiglass. What was the deal with that? I can understand a Tensabarrier to keep some distance, but am I thinking too far out of left field to guess that DiMaggio asked that his signing area be separated by Plexiglass?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Scott

Once a few yrs ago, I met Hockey HOFer Bobby Hull at a card show in CT here. I got a photo signed by him, and man, he looked like he could still play again. BIG SMILE and he nearly crushed my hand. haha. Anyways, I told him his son Bret was really good, he's like "yeah, he's pretty good, isn't he? haha. GREAT GUY.

One more I recall was HOFer Eddie Mathews. I h ad a ball for him, got a business like hand shake, thas bout it. Course. he had a cigarette in one hand, and a mixed drink near his other hand. so didn't have much time for Frivolity
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
J@RR0D

As the most contact I've had with a HOFer is an email from Harmon Killebrew, I'm really digging this thread.

More! More!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 PM

I used to collect autographs with my twin brother starting in the early 80's ( I was about 8). I would go 5 hours before the game and ask players to sign baseball cards or a team baseball as they walked from their hotel to the ballpark about 3-4 times a year at St. Louis and 2 times at Chicago. I would guess at least 95% of all MLB would sign if you saw them in this situation up until the early 1990's. Many would chat as they signed cards and seemed happy that I would ask for their autograph. Here are some quick stories about some HOFERS

1. Bob Gibson Told me he would sign my ball if I knew who he was. Then he went to spot away from the crowd a signed my ball. A few years later he wouldn't sign anything he perceived as valuable.
2. Ozzie Smith always nice and would sign for 30 minutes if he had to.
3. Ripken signed at spring training for 1 hr plus down spring trainging 3rd base line..
4. RICKEY HENDERSON WITH NO ONE AROUND EXCEPT ME AND MY BROTHER "I don't sign autographs little boy" He was the only A's player that didn't sign that day (Eck, Mcgwire very nice)
5. Clemens sat and talked to me for 5 minutes but wouldn't sign because he was pitching that day he too was very nice and apparently superstitous. EVANS RICE BOGGS SIGNED AND WERE NICE
6. Strawberry Gooden signed with an entourage around them
7. Gary Carter would sign any baseball card older than 1983 I think... He auctioned the other newer cards off for charity.. Super nice guy
8. All of the Braves and Astros always signed for everybody in the early 1990's Chipper, Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Biggio and Bagwell. (Maddux I think remembered me from the year prior when I got his autograph he is very detail oriented.)
9. Barry Bonds never signed a thing for me when I was a teen ager. Told me I should have gotten him a couple of years ago when he did sign.
10. Matt williams was super nice.
It would get old to sign day in day out. That is why I only bothered them while they were walking to the ballpark.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Not a HOFer, but...
In the early 80's my friends (one of which is a huuuuuuge NY Giants fan) and I were in a Burger King on Long Island having a good old time, when the largest hand I have ever seen in my life reached from behind me past my head and snatched my friend's NY Giants emblazoned wallet right off the table. I reacted instantly and quickly turned myself around and who was standing there?? Why, Mark Gastineau with his wife, holding his baby daughter. This was during the height of his popularity. The 'New York Sack Exchange' was in its prime and all of us Jets fans idolized this guy!! He flipped the wallet back on the table, chuckled and said, "What's the point? There's probably nothing in it." My friend looked him dead in the eye and replied, "No, Mark. It's full of money from betting on the Giants." (I guess it's important to note that you gotta be a New Yorker to understand the extreme rivalry between Jets and Giants fans.) It was frickin' awesome!! He laughed and chatted us up for a couple of minutes before he went on his way. What a terrific guy.

And I, too, will jump on the Brooks Robinson bandwagon. Met him at a show in the 80's and he was the nicest guy on the planet. Clearly appreciating everyone for coming out to see him. I was glad my Mets beat him in '69, but I became a big fan of his that day.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 PM

Default Joe D/Pete R.

Just did not bother to remove the photo from the 4X6 plastic holder! LOL.

I agree with another person who added to this thread. When I was 9 or 10--went to a Reds/Cards game and afterwards--waited by the bus and out came Pete Rose. I asked if he would sign the scorecard I had from the game. He told me he was not Pete Rose...a second later...Jack Billingham also came out--signed the scorecard and then asked the other person--Hey Pete, want me to save you a seat on the bus? Enough said.

Feller-Ripken-Kaline-Spahn-Killebrew-Dr. J-Bobby Hull...all class.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Murr the Blurr

I've had the privilege of sitting down to chat with Fergie Jenkins on a couple of occasions, and he's truly a gentleman. Upon learning I was a fellow Montreal Canadiens fan, he immediately wanted my thoughts on the upcoming NHL season and the Habs' prospects for making the playoffs. Fergie is also a former member of the Harlem Globetrotters and really enjoys talking hoops. Great with young fans, too.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

I am loving this thread!

Before a game against the Twins at Fenway in the early 90's I was by the visitor's dugout with about 100 other people. Everyone was yelling Winfield, Winfield" and the guy would not turn around. Me, being a brash lad of about 14 yelled, "Hey David, come sign some stuff!" Oh boy, he did not like that. He spun his head around faster than the girl in the Exorcist. He shoots me the dirtiest look and shook his head 'no.'

Guess he doesn't like being called David
Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 AM

Default HOF signing stories

Great thread all!

I was always a stadium rat, chasing players down for autographs at Anaheim Stadium and other venues in Southern California for more than 25 years. Baseball players were a major focus. I had similar experiences with many of the HOF players mentioned previously.

I've got to say that Nolan Ryan has to have been the most friendly, consistent and prolific HOF signer that I ever came across.

During the peak of his popularity (1989-1993), I never saw him come to Anaheim where he wouldn't exit the Doubletree Hotel in Orange and sign for everyone in the massive line that surrounded the hotel. He would only sign once for each person and would stop only if the crowd got out of control or discrespectful. The way that he knew that he had gotten everyone is that he looked at each person's shoes. Once he spotted the same pair of shoes, the session was over and he would wave to everyone and head off to the stadium to put in his legendary exercise regiment. In 1992-1993, there were literally hundreds of fans that would line up out in front of the hotel. What a signer!! On September 17, 1993 I was fortunate to have gotten Ryan's last sig before he pitched in his last game at Anaheim. In this game, Ryan got his last career strikeout- # 5,714. Pretty cool!!

Cal Ripken, Jr. was a signing machine in the stadium, especially towards the end of his career. Both of these players (Ryan and Ripken) absolutely understood the value of giving back to baseball fans throughout America.

Rickey Henderson never signed for me even though I asked him politely dozens of times in different settings. He would always say that he would sign in the stadium, but would not. I would see him sign for black kids occasionally. That was the only exception.

Rod Carew was difficult to get after his playing days, but he did sign for me several times and was always cordial. The key with him was how you treated him.

Reggie Jackson has a bad rap, but I found him to be a great signer in a variety of venues and always willing to talk baseball and cars. He loves his cars!

Eddie Murray played for the Angels in 1997 only and I was determined to get his autograph. He never did sign for me in 1997, but thanked me every time for asking for his autograph. When he left the stadium after the game on Fathers Day 1997, he scanned the crowd of autograph seekers looking for me. Once he spotted me he handed his FILA wrist band with his uniform number on it and then winked. That was Steady Eddie's shout-out for putting in the consistent effort to get his sig. That was awesome!

There are many others, but those are the one's that stand out the most in my mind.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Andrew Parks

Default Earl Weaver - Dallas Parks and a Rockford Peach

One of my favorite stories...

I went to the Atlanta National a few years back and decided to get a hot dog and a coke. Got my food and looked for a place to sit outside. There was an elderly couple sitting down at a table with an open seat. I asked if I could sit down, and they cordially agreed.

We got to talking and the gentleman asked me my name. When I said, "Andrew Parks." He said that's our last name, too! He introduced himself as "Dallas Parks." I looked at him and said, "There was an AL umpire with that name." He said, "Yeah. That's me." Earl Weaver was signing at the convention and he said he came to see him!

I asked if he saw him yet and he said that he had. He added that "Earl said the nicest thing he ever said to me" that day. I asked what that was and looked at me dead in the eye and said, "He said, "'How ya doing, Dallas?'"

That was it! I laughed so hard, I about peed myself. Earl always did hate umpires. Also, it was during the time the umpires went on strike. I asked him about that and he said, "It's bull shit. We never would have thought to strike."

Later I skipped outside to have a smoke and while I was standing there this elderly woman walked up to me and asked me for one. We got to talking, and I asked if she was enjoying the convention. She said that she was and explained she was there because she used to play in the All-American Girl's League! She was a Rockford Peach! I asked her what she thought of the movie A League of their Own, and she said, "All the girls loved it. It was 95% accurate." Very cool!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Nick Edson

Default Hockey Players Are A Class Act

Someone mentioned in this thread how boxers were a nice bunch of people... and I agree. The group that I've most enjoyed is hockey players - from having dinner with Gordie Howe to golfing with Nick Lidstrom - really down to earth good people. And I laughed out loud when I read about someone's spot on observation about Lee Trevino - the persona of the Merry Mex but really a miserable person to be around... unlike great players and great people like Nicklaus, Palmer and Gary Player. Player, in fact, is one of the most interesting of all the athletes I've ever met in 40 years.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM

I am on the advisory board for a sports complex in Indiana, each year we have the BPA world series at our park. We've brought in Ken Griffey, Sr, Bruce Sutter, and Scott Sanderson as keynote speakers, they have been magnificent, they sign and pose for pics with every one of the participants as part of their fee (this has been close to 700 boys ages 8 to 18 some years).

Sutter was great to talk to afterwards, let me wear his WS ring, signed anything and everything. Griffey and Sanderson were great as well. This is my wife and I with Sutter.

Also, Muhammad Ali was a total gentleman. He signed 3 S.I's for my wife at a baseball tournament he was at that his son was playing in, and between innings and games posed for pics with dozens of fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (74.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (74.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Over the years, I've gotten to meet quite a few players but my favorite, by far, was Bob Feller. The guy was the epitome of the proud American from the heartland. Several years back, I had picked up a nice J.C. Higgins Feller model glove...always wanted one and had it reconditioned, relaced and oiled up...sharp glove. Fast forward a few years and Feller was at a show in NJ...I hopped in the car and brought my glove with me. When I showed the glove to Mr. Feller, he grabbed it out of my hand (in a good way) and put it on his hand, pounding the glove with his other hand to make a nice pocket. Spent a few minutes talking with him about the glove and snapped the photo below. A little over a year later and he's gone..I never saw him play but he's one of my favorite players ever...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feller&Me.jpg (70.9 KB, 183 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM

The coolest I ever met was Bobby Doerr at the All-Star Game at Fenway a few years ago. Great guy. Signed a (reprint) Heads Up card for me. Had a huge smile on his face when I showed it to him and asked to sign it. He hands it back & says, "You know this is fake, right?"
The worst was Yaz, about 10 seconds later. I had a kind of beat up card of his and handed it to him to sign. He says, "You couldn't find a nicer card of me?"
So I said, "Well, I'm not really a Sox fan. I'm a Yankees fan."
He stopped signing it and shoved the card back to me. Somewhere I have a Carl Ya... signed card of Yaz.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Tim

Default Tony Gwynn

Back in 2007 Tony Gwynn was signing at a local Ford dealship (San Diego). He was to sign for 2 hours. But, at the end of two hours the line was still out the door. He continued to sign until the very last person in line....at least another hour. This was just after the announcement of his HOF vote. He looked every person in the eye, smiled, and treated each person as an individual......unhurried. My son, then 11, was very impressed, as was I. He signed two baseballs for my son. He asked my son what inscription he wanted ("Tony Gwynn #19" and "Tony Gwynn HOF 2007"). Perfect signatures........perfect gentleman.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1952tjb View Post
Back in 2007 Tony Gwynn was signing at a local Ford dealship (San Diego). He was to sign for 2 hours. But, at the end of two hours the line was still out the door. He continued to sign until the very last person in line....at least another hour. This was just after the announcement of his HOF vote. He looked every person in the eye, smiled, and treated each person as an individual......unhurried. My son, then 11, was very impressed, as was I. He signed two baseballs for my son. He asked my son what inscription he wanted ("Tony Gwynn #19" and "Tony Gwynn HOF 2007"). Perfect signatures........perfect gentleman.
Tim,

I concur with you on Tony Gwynn. I forgot to mention him in my list of HOF'ers. Tony is amongst the nicest of all HOF signers that you ever would meet. Through the years I found him to be incredibly consistent in being a super nice guy. No wonder he's always been so popular in San Diego!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlives View Post
I've told this story before here, but here's a Brooks Robinson experience:

About seven or eight years ago, I went to a free signing out in Pennsylvania with Brooks that I think was to promote an indy league team and their sponsors. It was one of those deals where the players were supposed to be signing promotional items and nothing else, which the other players, not nearly as big of stars as Brooks Robinson, were sticking to. Can't blame them, that's what they were being paid for. I got on the Brooks line perhaps 100 people back, and noticed immediately that the line was moving pretty slow. I didn't really have a great idea of Brooks's rep at that time, so I was expecting the Willie Mays experience - slow, grumpy, maybe hung over.

Got up to the front of the line, and the reason the line was moving a bit slow was because Brooks was getting up and taking pictures with anyone who had a camera, having a personal chat for a minute or two with every single person in line, handing out his own signed 8x10s that he brought, and actually asking if people brought anything extra with them for him to sign - even though he wasn't supposed to be doing anything other than signing the team pre-print. The handlers were getting annoyed, but Brooks didn't care at all, and he ended up staying well past his allotted time because he wouldn't let the line get cut off. I took home two beautiful signed ROMLBs with HOF inscription that are proudly in my showcase, the Brooks-provided 8x10 which is also still in my collection, and a permanent fandom of Brooks Robinson.

I simply can't say enough positive things about Brooks Robinson.
In the days when I did card shows Brooks Robinson was a guest at one of them on Staten Island. My son used to help me at these shows. He got on line for Brooks Robinson. I used to take Polaroid photos of my son with the players. Brooks saw me with my camera, came out from behind the table and put his arm around my son for the photo. After I shot one, he insisted I shoot another to make sure I got a good one.
A total class act and a man with a huge heart.
I just realized that I had a new camera when we met Brooks and these are not Polariods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooks.jpg (56.6 KB, 201 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Michael

Default HOF in person experiences

As a shy 16 year old going up to Mickey Mantle in 1967 as he was standing alone in front of the hotel he lived in while in NYC (I was the only one there) I had a Sport magazine photo already signed by Casey Stengel and I said "Mr Mantle can you please sign this" and he looked at me and spit in my face and walked off- that I will never forget .
My other horror story was going up to Hank Aaron (my hero) the same year outside the team hotel and politely asked him to sign my autograph book and he said "go play in the traffic son".
Considering I saw most teams these were my only bad stories. Eddie Mathews started up a conversation with me and was great.
After taking almost 35 years off I started doing IP collecting again in 2002 and still am though this may be my last year at it as dealers are getting too aggressive at spring training, etc and it is no longer as much fun for us "older guys". Sandberg, Brook Robinson, Billy Williams, Fergie, Santo,Ryan, Gossage, Herzog have been great (again none of these are show appearances which can give you a skewed impression since they are paid to be there).
Of present day "superstars" my least favorite has been Sammy Sosa who acted like he thought he was God when the cameras weren't on him.
Others like Frank Robinson and Griffey have been extremely tough autographs but would talk to us for long periods of time.
Lots more stories but these will do for now.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

In 2008 I was putting together a 50th anniversary video for the parents of a friend of mine. His dad, whom I was very close to, was a huge baseball fan and we had spent many hours discussing the old greats of the game. I was in Cooperstown for the HOF Induction ceremony and decided to see if I could get a couple of the guys to say "Happy 50th Anniversary Bob and Donna" on video. I was nervous as heck to ask these legends, but I really wanted to include their greetings if possible to make the video more special. I did this by buying an autograph ticket and getting in line.

Well, long story short, I got Killebrew, Feller, Doerr and "Shotgun" Skuba (my friend's dad grew up a Brooklyn fan) to all give personalized greetings and congratulations for the video. Each was more gracious than the next and Killebrew did a couple takes to get what he wanted to say out.

Needless to say, my friend's dad was blown away by the greeting from his baseball heroes. He passed away suddenly five months later.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
As a shy 16 year old going up to Mickey Mantle in 1967 as he was standing alone in front of the hotel he lived in while in NYC (I was the only one there) I had a Sport magazine photo already signed by Casey Stengel and I said "Mr Mantle can you please sign this" and he looked at me and spit in my face and walked off- that I will never forget
OMG.

Are you serious?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I agree on the Tony Gwynn inclusion, and was glad to see his name finally come up. Nicest, most humble and down-to-earth guy ever (and beloved by all in San Diego).
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Michael

Default Mantle IP

I am serious about the Mantle story. I cried on the subway ride home. I since have heard at least one other similar Mantle story
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
I am serious about the Mantle story. I cried on the subway ride home. I since have heard at least one other similar Mantle story
Stunning and saddening. So hard to believe he would do that to anyone, let alone a kid.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
As a shy 16 year old going up to Mickey Mantle in 1967 as he was standing alone in front of the hotel he lived in while in NYC (I was the only one there) I had a Sport magazine photo already signed by Casey Stengel and I said "Mr Mantle can you please sign this" and he looked at me and spit in my face and walked off- that I will never forget .
I hope you kept the spit. That would make a hell of a relic card.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Andrew Parks

Default LMAO Jarrod

1952 Topps Spit-stained Mickey Mantle 1/1
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I hope you kept the spit. That would make a hell of a relic card.
Wow...this is why I'm loving this thread...I feel like we're seeing sides of players that are not the usual perception. Imagining Mantle doing this is tough...I wonder how drunk he was.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Andrew Parks

Default Not a Hall-of-Famer but...

when Will Clark was at Miss. St. my girlfriend's parents would go to the home games and hold up a sign that said Miss St Alum. One day Clark came over and started talking to them. This became a home game ritual and eventually my gf's mom invited him to their house for dinner. His favorite meal was Southern fried pork chops. He became a routine guest as she can cook now! Lemme tell ya!

They continued the friendship even when he became a star for The Giants. They had moved to Philadelphia and whenever the Giants were in town he'd come over for fried pork chops! Great guy, too!

Last edited by matty6; 02-08-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Mike Dugan

Just read a wonderful essay by Fritz Peterson on his friend Brooks Robinson at www.baseballhappenings.net I think it will reinforce all the nice things said in this thread about my favorite ball player! Best wishes to Brooks, get well soon
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Mikeknapp

This has been one of my favorite posts since joining this board. My initial post on this thread dealt with my experience with baseball players. After reading the positive comments on interactions with boxers I thought I would share my own.

I took my son to an Oakland A’s spring training game about ten years ago. He was twelve at the time. I’m a third generation Indian and Pirate fan. He broke with the family tradition and adopted the Oakland A’s. He now has his own personal hell and he can at least relate to his father’s pain. During the game Mohammed Ali made a surprise appearance. When he entered the ball park you could hear a pin drop. It was surreal. The game stopped and the players applauded him. The crowd chanted Ali, Ali! He sat a few rows away from us and an autograph line quickly formed. He signed between innings. Those in line knelt to avoid obstructing the view of others during the game. My son asked why people were kneeling. My wife smiled and told him you do that before royalty. I told my son that this was an autograph opportunity he should not miss. At that time he was painfully timid but with a bit of coaxing he stood in line by himself for two innings. When it was his turn to receive an autograph play resumed forcing him to kneel and wait. Ali looked over at him and motioned to him. My son approached Ali rather nervously. He told my son to sit next to him in a vacant seat. He then opened a bag and pulled out a large oatmeal cookie broke it in half and handed half to my son. He sat with Ali eating that cookie for a half inning. At the end of the inning Ali smiled at him and threw a quick jab his way. He then signed the autograph and thanked my son for sitting with him.

When we returned home my shy son shocked us with the announcement that he wanted to be a boxer. My wife and I cringed but he was persistent so we relented. He boxed for a few years and although he was an average boxer the sport changed him in a positive manner. He became assertive, disciplined, and extremely confident. He has grown into a young man I am very proud of. I have to attribute some of that to boxing and his fifteen minutes with Ali.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yet the rotten, miserable, ignorant old drunk got to "cut in line" for a liver transplant, while others who had cancer through no fault of their own died waiting. Sad, and pathetic.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 AM

Default Beautiful story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
This has been one of my favorite posts since joining this board. My initial post on this thread dealt with my experience with baseball players. After reading the positive comments on interactions with boxers I thought I would share my own.

I took my son to an Oakland A’s spring training game about ten years ago. He was twelve at the time. I’m a third generation Indian and Pirate fan. He broke with the family tradition and adopted the Oakland A’s. He now has his own personal hell and he can at least relate to his father’s pain. During the game Mohammed Ali made a surprise appearance. When he entered the ball park you could hear a pin drop. It was surreal. The game stopped and the players applauded him. The crowd chanted Ali, Ali! He sat a few rows away from us and an autograph line quickly formed. He signed between innings. Those in line knelt to avoid obstructing the view of others during the game. My son asked why people were kneeling. My wife smiled and told him you do that before royalty. I told my son that this was an autograph opportunity he should not miss. At that time he was painfully timid but with a bit of coaxing he stood in line by himself for two innings. When it was his turn to receive an autograph play resumed forcing him to kneel and wait. Ali looked over at him and motioned to him. My son approached Ali rather nervously. He told my son to sit next to him in a vacant seat. He then opened a bag and pulled out a large oatmeal cookie broke it in half and handed half to my son. He sat with Ali eating that cookie for a half inning. At the end of the inning Ali smiled at him and threw a quick jab his way. He then signed the autograph and thanked my son for sitting with him.

When we returned home my shy son shocked us with the announcement that he wanted to be a boxer. My wife and I cringed but he was persistent so we relented. He boxed for a few years and although he was an average boxer the sport changed him in a positive manner. He became assertive, disciplined, and extremely confident. He has grown into a young man I am very proud of. I have to attribute some of that to boxing and his fifteen minutes with Ali.
Mike,
That is really a beautiful story about your son and Ali. Thanks for sharing it!
BTW, has your son seen Moneyball yet? I finally just caught it and can tell you that it's definately worth seeing. Perfect for an Oakland A's fan, since it involves the A's franchise.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-09-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Scott

Moneyball is an awesome movie, and that story bout Ali is GREAT. Wonderful thread continues.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post

This is my favorite. Great thread, keep them coming!