NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Question concerning sharing intellectual and personal information?

I have some old hobby documents I have been sharing with the board and a lot of folks enjoy them as much as I do. That being said, is there a time when those documents should be kept private, even though they were obtained very above board and legally, with respect to them being personal conversations between hobby icons? Of course the fact they are well known people isn't necessarily the issue, it's the general nature I am pondering.
Does the fact that most of the folks are deceased matter? Does it matter that the subject matter is not too personal and is discussing mostly hobby events and research? Are there legal issues involved? Almost all of the documents are over 30 yrs old.

Those issues, and probably some others too, are the nature of my concerns. I am certainly leaning towards continuing to share but just thought I would solicit some feedback.

Last edited by Leon; 11-14-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Steven

Id say looking at the respect the issue is being handled with Id ask what these original correspondants intent was with their letters be...Id guess to spread their zest for cards and I would guess theyd be happy those letters are still doing that. Law does not dictate ethics.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Zach

If you are referring to that document you posted from 1948, things like that should not be a problem, because that was a publication and a public document.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default appreciate the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
If you are referring to that document you posted from 1948, things like that should not be a problem, because that was a publication and a public document.
I appreciate the feedback so far. No, these are personal letters between hobby legends concerning questions on hobby matters. Some of it is very intriguing (not that that should really matter in the decision.)

Last edited by Leon; 11-14-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Leon, I got to know Buck Barker pretty well and I would bet that he is smiling, seeing the interest and respect shown towards him and his pioneer friends. Randy
Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Rob G.

if its on the topic of vintage baseball cards, i'd say post it! If it involves any personal/intimate matters & conversation, even between hobby icons, perhaps that should be kept to oneself.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Default post unless personal

+1

peace
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM

I don't know if this helps answer the question but on eBay the auctions for letters and documents always include a scan of the letter and usually a transcript.

Last edited by packs; 11-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Archive

If they are documents/letters about the hobby, such as buying, selling, possible rarities or shortprints, etc. and nothing too personal is involved, I would like to see them posted. I think it would be interesting to read how past collectors viewed cards and building their collections.

Hope this helps Leon.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 11-14-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: ....
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have some old hobby documents I have been sharing with the board and a lot of folks enjoy them as much as I do. That being said, is there a time when those documents should be kept private, even though they were obtained very above board and legally, with respect to them being personal conversations between hobby icons? Of course the fact they are well known people isn't necessarily the issue, it's the general nature I am pondering.
Does the fact that most of the folks are deceased matter? Does it matter that the subject matter is not too personal and is discussing mostly hobby events and research? Are there legal issues involved? Almost all of the documents are over 30 yrs old.

Those issues, and probably some others too, are the nature of my concerns. I am certainly leaning towards continuing to share but just thought I would solicit some feedback.
There are absolutely no legal concerns here. It doesn't matter if the subjects are deceased or alive. The documents were obtained legally. I see no legal barriers here. For your purposes here, the age of the documents is irrelevant.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Guys, I don't think Leon is asking whether we would like to see more of these docs, but rather what are the legal ramifications (if any) of publicly posting what was originally private correspondence.

My completely non-lawyerly opinion would be that the posting of letters related to hobby matters and reasearch on a message board dedicated to hobby matters and research would fall under "fair use." My understanding is that whoever wrote the letter would technically retain copyright, but as long as you're not profiting from posting the letters and not hampering the author's ability to profit from his "creation" (which doesn't appear to be the intent of the letters in the first place), it should be okay. I found a pretty good (at least to my quick read through) explanation of "fair use" here:

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/fair-use

Hope that helps, and by all means, if anyone reading this is actually trained in the law, please chime in and/or correct me.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Relevant legal advice:

http://www.guidethroughthelegaljungl...u-receive.html

Also, I think the laws governing "fair use" and the determination of "commercial value" of a particular work or document is relevant here. See answers #4 and #11:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hi guys

Hi guys
Thanks again for all of the feedback. I think I got my answers. It was really a twofold question, ethical and legal. I got both answers. best regards