NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Just picked up this extremely popular 1947 "I'M ROOTING FOR JACKIE ROBINSON" Dodgers Pin.

Attachment 50032
Great pick up Jimmy. I've always loved that pin. What a statement that pin must have made during 1947 and the era of Jim Crow. I am in pursuit of the "I'm Rooting for Larry Doby" pennant and think my chances of ever acquiring it are slim to none, but one can dream.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
Was lucky enough to pick up this 1937 Yankees team signed sheet with a pencil Lou Gehrig signature on it at a small auction in Michigan. However, congratulations also must go out to the other bidder who bid against me on this lot. He won several 1937/1938 Whos Whos books for $53.00. Inside he found several signatures on one page which no one else spotted and among them on a Pirates photo page were Pie Traynorboth Waners and a nice Honus Wagner....bummer for me--I should have looked much closer!
Great pickup SI Collector. I am in Michigan and would have loved to have attended that auction. Was there alot of sports memorabilia? I hope it wasn't the auction house in Waterford (see previous thread).
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Gehrig

No there was not a lot of sports memorabilia...just a few things. I feel very fortunate to have come away with this one signed Gehrig item. I always wanted to add something to my collection but with all of the fakes and secretarial signed pieces out there...was never ready to take the leap and also have the dollars in place. This will get matted with an 8X10 photo of the 1937 Yanks and will look great on the wall. Thanks for your kind words!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937.jpg (39.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Andrew

Default Honus Wagner Press Photo

I just loved this pic. I am not sure what year, any uniform experts feel free to chime in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagnerphoto 001.jpg (65.3 KB, 355 views)
Old 11-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Phil Garry

Andrew:

The Wagner photo, based on the uniform, would be 1913 or possibly 1914.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-21-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Andrew

Thanks Phil. That is what I had narrowed it down to also. I had info based on a description of the uniform but no team photos that I could match it to.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Graig Kreindler

GREAT pick-up, sicollector...color me jealous!

G
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Default 1916 Boxing Plaque et al

1916 Boxing Plaque 20 ½” x 15”
Couple weeks ago I drove down to L.A. to pick up the 1916 NYC amateur boxing plaque below. The plaque was made by the renown Dieges and Clust company….Instead of risking damage in shipment I figured I’d pick up in person and hit the Rose Bowl flea same day….got to RB right at 6:00AM but never could get traction…pretty much the weakest Rose Bowl I’d ever been to….The winning club of the plaque “Union Settlement” was founded in 1895

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Union Settlement was founded in 1895 by members of the Union Theological Seminary Alumni Club. After visiting Toynbee Hall in London, and inspired by the example of Hull House in Chicago, the alumni decided to create a settlement house in the area of Manhattan enclosed on the north and south by East 96th and 110th Streets and on the east and west by the East River and Central Park.

Photobucket

Last Saturday I drove into San Francisco and picked up the c1920 7” tall motorcycle statue I posted a couple weeks ago…I’m very pleased…looks better in person than photographs…below installed on my coffee table…managed to squeeze it in.

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 11-23-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: ad link
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Mike H.

Terrific Piece Carlton!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 AM

"I’m very pleased…looks better in person than photographs…below installed on my coffee table…managed to squeeze it in."

Hey Carlton. Where do you put your coffee? Congrats on yet another stellar pick-up. I've lived just a few minutes from the Rose Bowl for over five years now and still haven't been able to make it to the flea market. Guess that has something to do with my going to sleep when the market opens up.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-22-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

That coffee-table pic is classic!

I had a glass-topped coffee table that I build a wooden ledge for that fit underneath. Crammed all of my 'shorter' pieces of memorabilia into it. Then the dog managed to get a minor league baseball out of it and chewed the cover half-off. Yes, I admit to owning game-used memorabilia, but I made my Mother sign an LOA swearing that her father really did give her the baseball.

Seeing all that stuff on the table makes me wonder - don't you ever spill a beer or coffee? What a clean-up nightmare.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default The Assville 9

I had to own this. Do you think they posed this way on purpose? (it's actually 'Cassville')

Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I had to own this. Do you think they posed this way on purpose? (it's actually 'Cassville')

Kind of interesting that the team seems to be integrated during this era (the teens).
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:

That's awesome Scott. I laughed my cass off!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerden View Post
Kind of interesting that the team seems to be integrated during this era (the teens).
I think it's older than the teens - probably 1905-1910 - but it could be early 1910's. It's an albumen on a cheap mount, but the border on an albumen is slightly unusual. Yeah, by the teens you wouldn't see black players in the pics too often.

Several ML teams wanted to integrate (John McGraw in particular) simply to be a better team, but they couldn't. Not so below the ML level. This particular team only has eight players in the pic, even with the black player, so maybe if they had a slightly larger male population in their town, he wouldn't have been as welcome. Also, he is noticeably almost out of the picture and doesn't seem too excited.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default More Press Photos

I'm especially happy with the Babe Didrikson. I used to own her pool cue and a bunch of other estate items, and I could not find a photo anywhere of her shooting pool. I've found a couple since, but I love this one.

Ruth and wife - 1939

Stengel - 1935

Dizzy Dean - 1937

Durocher, Dascoli and Goetz, Tookie Gilbert (player) - 1950

Grange - Oct 26, 1928 Caption: "Harold Grange, football star, given time to investigate girl's charge."

Tunney - dated 1926. I have a larger version of this one that is one print newer and CGC-slabbed (whatever that means )

Didrikson - 1947

Hoppe, Hoppe - 1909, 1929

Gordon Chung-Hoon - 1929

Last edited by Runscott; 11-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Default nice pick ups

Quote:
I'm especially happy with the Babe Didrikson. I used to own her pool cue and a bunch of other estate items, and I could not find a photo anywhere of her shooting pool. I've found a couple since, but I love this one.

Scott, Man that's a lot of great photos...I just read up on Babe Didrikson...what an athlete...she sounds more profund than Jim Thorpe!...I've never seen that one of Red Grange...and the Tunney photo is classic. But some I don't recognize...how about putting the names under the photos? Especially the pool players...been getting interested in billiards/pool lately...re the coffee table...no worries on a spill...in word only....not a not a stitch of room to sit down a drink so don't have to worry about that ever happening LOL

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Scott, Man that's a lot of great photos...I just read up on Babe Didrikson...what an athlete...she sounds more profund than Jim Thorpe!...I've never seen that one of Red Grange...and the Tunney photo is classic. But some I don't recognize...how about putting the names under the photos? Especially the pool players...been getting interested in billiards/pool lately...re the coffee table...no worries on a spill...in word only....not a not a stitch of room to sit down a drink so don't have to worry about that ever happening LOL
Thanks - I have a bunch more, mostly too large to fit on the scanner. I have two more of Hoppe (I sort of collect them), and also a very interesting '20s shot of Japanese women playing pool. I'll probably add a photo page to my Billiards website, now that I have a larger grouping.

Didrikson was from my home town (Port Arthur, Texas), so everyone knew all about her. Basically, she was the female Jim Thorpe. There was a NY Times reporter who was, I believe, writing a book about her. He contacted me about various pieces, which I sold him, including her putter which I later found a picture of her using - boy, that would have jacked up the price!
  • Ruth and wife - 1939
  • Stengel - 1935
  • Dizzy Dean - 1937
  • Durocher, Dascoli and Goetz, Tookie Gilbert (player) - 1950
  • Grange - Oct 26, 1928 Caption: "Harold Grange, football star, given time to investigate girl's charge."
  • Tunney - dated 1926. I have a larger version of this one that is one print newer and CGC-slabbed (whatever that means )
  • Didrikson - 1947
  • Hoppe, Hoppe - 1909, 1929
  • Gordon Chung-Hoon - 1929

Last edited by Runscott; 11-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
That's awesome Scott. I laughed my cass off!
Stop it!

There was NO joy in Assville!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Comiskey Park - June 4, 1941

Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Matt

Default it was me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954
Was lucky enough to pick up this 1937 Yankees team signed sheet with a pencil Lou Gehrig signature on it at a small auction in Michigan. However, congratulations also must go out to the other bidder who bid against me on this lot. He won several 1937/1938 Whos Whos books for $53.00. Inside he found several signatures on one page which no one else spotted and among them on a Pirates photo page were Pie Traynor, both Waners and a nice Honus Wagner....bummer for me--I should have looked much closer!
Hey Dave, I didn't know you were on the forum!! As Dave noted, I was the other bidder on the Gehrig page and the one that picked up the Who's Who books with the autographs noted above plus Ki Ki Cuyler, Mule Haas, Floyd Young, Bill Brubaker, Gus Suhr, Tommy Padden, Johnny Dickshot, Goodwin Rosen, Van Mungo, T. Brack, and John Hudson.....plus a separate signed envelope by Casey Stengel in 1958. Not to be too critical of Dave's description, but I was also fortunate enough to pick up the Stengel signature in that auction sales total, as well . So, it was a bittersweet auction for me after the disappointment of coming in second on the Gehrig page as it was VERY poorly advertised in the auction listing and I was hoping (for all 5 days prior to the sale) that it could be bought for peanuts (next time you travel to Michigan, Dave, please call for permission first)......however, after meeting Dave after the sale, it didn't sting as bad after realizing he was a good guy and not a bit arrogant or cocky......and I was relieved nobody else bothered to flip through the Who's Who books!!

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7895.jpg (74.8 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7896.jpg (73.0 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7897.jpg (72.7 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7899.jpg (72.5 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 050.jpg (57.8 KB, 488 views)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Mike Henson

Default Ty Cobb Tin

Decided to make my own for display purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1122111706_01.jpg (12.9 KB, 477 views)
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Default It was you!

Nice to hear from you Matt. You have permission to enter Illinois anytime. Stay in touch.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:39 AM

[QUOTE=Kzoo;941610]Hey Dave, I didn't know you were on the forum!! As Dave noted, I was the other bidder on the Gehrig page and the one that picked up the Who's Who books with the autographs noted above plus Ki Ki Cuyler, Mule Haas, Floyd Young, Bill Brubaker, Gus Suhr, Tommy Padden, Johnny Dickshot, Goodwin Rosen, Van Mungo, T. Brack, and John Hudson.....plus a separate signed envelope by Casey Stengel in 1958. Not to be too critical of Dave's description, but I was also fortunate enough to pick up the Stengel signature in that auction sales total, as well . So, it was a bittersweet auction for me after the disappointment of coming in second on the Gehrig page as it was VERY poorly advertised in the auction listing and I was hoping (for all 5 days prior to the sale) that it could be bought for peanuts (next time you travel to Michigan, Dave, please call for permission first)......however, after meeting Dave after the sale, it didn't sting as bad after realizing he was a good guy and not a bit arrogant or cocky......and I was relieved nobody else bothered to flip through the Who's Who books!!

Boy Matt, this is really a nice haul- especially for the price!!!
Congrats on your pickup-very nice!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM
J.O.N

Finally picked up a post card of Forbes Field. I really like the letter on the back too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4131.jpg (76.8 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4132.jpg (74.3 KB, 399 views)

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Damn, Scott - a FANTASTIC acquisition. Bravo!
Thanks Graig!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Brock

Picked up these yesterday from the framer. Panoramic postcard that I picked up earlier this month and 1919 Brooklyn team photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoXpstcrd.jpg (39.9 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg Broolynpto.jpg (71.7 KB, 345 views)
Old 11-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJacob View Post
Picked up these yesterday from the framer. Panoramic postcard that I picked up earlier this month and 1919 Brooklyn team photo.
That postcard is fantastic.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Mike H.

Well done Brock. I know you appreciate a bargain, but that is a quality job that cannot have been cheap.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Brock

So how did you guys hear about it??
Old 11-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Adam B

Beautiful Brock.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Brock

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I always wrestle with the cost of having items custom mounted and framed but am never dissatisfied with the end result.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Joe Hunter

Default 1950's Sport Magazine Posters?

Picked these up today. Each piece is hard backed with a photo and an embossed number and "As seen in Sport Magazine" label. Each piece measures 15" x 12" with the photo about 8" x 11". Blank backed. They are neat pieces that I have never seen before. Anyone have an idea where these originated or what they are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1760.jpg (72.6 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1759.jpg (73.4 KB, 332 views)
Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Phil Garry

Very nice, Joe, have never seen those before.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Picked these up today. Each piece is hard backed with a photo and an embossed number and "As seen in Sport Magazine" label. Each piece measures 15" x 12" with the photo about 8" x 11". Blank backed. They are neat pieces that I have never seen before. Anyone have an idea where these originated or what they are?
I don't know anything about them, but I know I want them.

Doug
Old 11-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Jim Murphy

Some photographers put together displays like this for award presentations and the such. I have a group of ones that were used for a Philadelphia area magazines phto award of the year

Last edited by murphusa; 11-25-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 AM
John

Default Tintype

My first tintype. Thank you, DavidC for your coaching.
I hope someone can estimate an approx year taken based on the subject's bat and uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tintype.jpg (72.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Boy John. That's a great photo! Love that crest on his chest. Nice pick-up.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 AM
GaryPassamonte

I would say the tintype is circa 1880. What size is it?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Barry Sloate

Circa 1880 seems about right. Notice he is wearing his position on the front of his cap: r.f. ( unless those are the team initials).

Come to think of it, they probably are the team initials, and it's just a coincidence.

Last edited by barrysloate; 11-27-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:19 AM
John

2 3/8" x 3 1/2"
Old 11-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Barry Sloate

John- that's a sixth-plate tintype.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 AM

Default 1890 Football Calendar

Picked this up yesterday...From Springfield MA. Has advertising for Mass Mutual Insurance below ball carrier getting tackled....

Photobucket

Photobucket

In the late 19th- early 20th century it was a regular practice for calendars to have a football scene for November...and sometimes October

Photobucket
Read about this calendar here

Same for advertising posters for magazines such as Scribners, Outing, Lippencots, Century, Harpers, etc.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 AM

Jeez Carlton, you just keep bringing your "A" game time after time after time. Well done my friend!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Scott

Just picked this cool piece up. and did some research too. I LOVE this kinda stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KGrHqYOKnEE6GnBU2dBOu6vzfr60_3.JPG (58.0 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg KGrHqEOKnQE6OZEyKBBOu62RGE60_3.JPG (53.4 KB, 257 views)
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Very nice Cobb pics. I picked up this 1931 photo of Jim Thorpe today. I thought the headress was classic.
Looks familiar:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
My first tintype. Thank you, DavidC for your coaching.
I hope someone can estimate an approx year taken based on the subject's bat and uniform.
Nice, John. I was the underbidder on that, but I still think you got a very good deal.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Scott

If you want some photos or scans to go with that Luggage Ticket, I bought Dick Hoblitzells photo album from that tour and there are some images of Max Carey in there. They started in the midwest, went through the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, California, and ended up for a while in Hawaii. The tour also had Grover Alexander, and Ray Chapman among other famous players of the day.

Rhys Yeakley
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Scott

That would be really nice Rhys. I did some research on the tour myself. If you want to send me some scans, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

email is : ghost04@sbcglobal.net

Scott.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
John

Quote:
Nice, John. I was the underbidder on that, but I still think you got a very good deal.
Thanks. Now I'm trying to figure out how to display it.