NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Default Grading/selling question about the 2010 National in Baltimore.

I'm a newbie to the forum and very much new to vintage baseball card collecting. I'd appreciate your thoughts regarding some cards I’ve recently obtained, and specifically how I might be able to grade and/or sell them at the upcoming National in Baltimore.

I recently acquired my father’s collection of baseball cards from the mid-1950s. There are mostly 1955 Bowman and Topps, 1956 Topps, and 1957 Topps cards in the collection, with a smattering of 1954 Bowman and Topps cards, too. He also collected some football and non-sports (war, car, movie and Western) cards from the era. There are plenty of well-known players’ cards and many of the cards are, at least to my untrained eye, in quite good condition.

While I plan to keep some of the cards for their sentimental value, I’d like to sell most of the cards. I’m reasonably convinced from a few days of perusing the forum that I’d be able to make the most money by having at least the more valuable cards graded prior to selling them, so that prospective buyers could be reasonably assured of the cards’ authenticity and condition. (If you think that is incorrect, I’d be interested in hearing so.) I live in Baltimore and understand that the National will be held here in early August. It seems likely to me that the main grading companies like PSA, SCG and Beckett would be present at the National.

Does anyone know of any way that I could have my cards be both graded and auctioned (or otherwise sold) during the convention? I’d like to think that I could make appointments with the grading companies early in the convention, select one of them, have the cards be graded, and then be able to auction or otherwise sell the cards during the National. This strikes me as a way to not only avoid the shipping costs of grading the cards, but also to have an opportunity to have a large group of avid collectors and dealers simultaneously be in Baltimore to actually buy the cards.

Perhaps the timetable I’ve suggested is too ambitious? Maybe the grading companies don’t accept cards at the National? If anyone has any thoughts about how I might best use the presence of the National to accomplish my goals of both grading and selling the cards, or if what I’ve suggested is even possible, I would be very grateful. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

You can definitely get them graded in Balto but auctioning them at the same show might be tough. If they grade high then maybe a consignment could happen but realistically what you describe are fairly common issues and you would need a bunch of low pops to make it work.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Plus, on-site grading is very expensive--$25 or more per card. My suggestion is that you get together 10-20 of the best cards you see in the group and send them to SGC for grading. Wait a few days to see what special they have--they might have a March special that would fit some of the cards. Once you have the test results you can decide whether it makes sense to grade more (if they really are high grade--then you probably would do best to join PSA's club and send them a bunch of cards) or to simply sell them raw via an auctioneer or otherwise. Taking them to an auctioneer at the show is certainly realistic--they live for walk-ins--but don't expect great purchase offers at the show. If you have mid-grade postwar cards from mainstream sets, they retail cheaply (look around for an idea), so wholesale would be surprisingly low--Multi-thousand dollar cards in 8-9 condition can be had for $100 or less in lower grade (I know--I collect that way). One great way to sell is via BST threads here. No commissions or wholesale costs to you. You might also want to do a bit of homework--invest in a standard catalog (Krause Publications) and see what you have then start searching Ebay for it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-27-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Suggestions

Firstly your thought of getting them graded at the show and then auctioned at the show is not realistic - as mentioned, the grading fees alone will make it a poor financial decision to grade what I would think would be the majority of cards you have. Secondly, as far as I know there is not an auction that you consign to the day(s) of the show that then sells them that day. I think the suggestion to take 10-20 of a mix of the bigger names (Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willie mays, Roberto Clemente) and some of what appear to you to be the "better condition" cards and get them graded now is a great starting point - if they come back in the 8-10 grading range - you have a windfall on your hands (not impossible, but highly unlikely). If they come back in the 4-7 range, you'll be getting some money, but far from a windfall. If you posted some scans, I am sure you could get some more educated opinions regarding condition. Depending on what you get back, will determine your best sales outlet. If you get back those 8-10's, then likely consigning to a reputable auction house would be a great idea, if they come back lower grades (4-7) then selling in team lots/year lots either here(no fees) or on ebay (fees) would be your best avenue. If you sell off just the star cards, you will likely be left either unable to sell the more common cards or getting paid pennies on the dollar. Be well. Good luck.

-Howard