NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 AM
David Kathman

Default Paul Marchant and Exhibit Supply Company?

Does anybody know whether longtime mail order dealer Paul Marchant is still around, and if so, how to get in touch with him? He bought the Exhibit Supply Company's sports card plates in 1980. I'm asking for George Vrechek, who is technically a member of this board but never goes on here. George is also looking for info on the history of the Exhibit Supply Co.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:02 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I can tell you that Marchant bought the company and its archives from the founding owner when the founding owner retired, then Marchant sold all the original art about ten years ago. Se he was the second owner. When Marchant auctioned off the original art, the winners got a short history of the company-- that's how I know. The only thing I don't retain is the founder's name.

Last edited by drcy; 09-24-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:53 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I can tell you that Marchant bought the company and its archives from the founding owner when the founding owner retired, then Marchant sold all the original art about ten years ago. Se he was the second owner. When Marchant auctioned off the original art, the winners got a short history of the company-- that's how I know. The only thing I don't retain is the founder's name.
Thanks for this, David. I passed it along to George Vrechek, whose response is below. If anybody is able to help him, let me know.

Marchant bought from Chet Gore who took over (eventually) from founder J. Frank Meyer.
The other guys who might help me are Bob Schulhof, Sheldon Goldberg and Steve Reeves, but I can’t find them either.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 PM

Hi David,

Paul Marchant has on ebay store called Marchant Cards. George can try mail@marchantcards.com. I hope this works for him.

Jeff Alcorn
Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Does anybody know whether longtime mail order dealer Paul Marchant is still around, and if so, how to get in touch with him? He bought the Exhibit Supply Company's sports card plates in 1980. I'm asking for George Vrechek, who is technically a member of this board but never goes on here. George is also looking for info on the history of the Exhibit Supply Co.
There are a lot of hobby publications that have a lot of ESCO information in them. Elwood Scharf (sp?) was the Exhibit expert back in the day. I have seen/read many of his writings...
Old 09-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Elwood Scharf

Leon is right about Woody. I knew him from the 70's.

I have all of his notebooks which includes checklists, the articles he published in The Trader Speaks etc..

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 09-27-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Leon is right about Woody. I knew him from the 70's.

I have all of his notebooks which includes checklists, the articles he published in The Trade Speaks etc..

Fred
Elwood "Woody" Scharf was a fine gentleman collector. He graciously reached out to me when I was a novice Exhibit collector through VCBC and gave me a great deal of information on the earlier cards. I still have my stash of correspondence with him somewhere.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 PM
David Kathman

I also have all of Scharf's articles in The Trader Speaks, as well as the series of supplements he did for The Ballcard Collector in the early 70s (about a 15-part series), with checklists and writeups on the various series of Exhibit cards. I'll let you guys know if George needs any more info.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I also have all of Scharf's articles in The Trader Speaks, as well as the series of supplements he did for The Ballcard Collector in the early 70s (about a 15-part series), with checklists and writeups on the various series of Exhibit cards. I'll let you guys know if George needs any more info.
I was hoping he would finish the Exhibit stories run before TTS folded but it didn't happen. I liked reading all those when I was putting my TTS collection together.

Last edited by toppcat; 09-27-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Could you post some of Woody Scharf's articles and correspondence sometime? I'd love to study them and learn more about his insights. Is he still with us?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Could you post some of Woody Scharf's articles and correspondence sometime? I'd love to study them and learn more about his insights. Is he still with us?
I don't know if he is still around but I am pretty sure I have quite a bit of his notes and stuff. If I can dig them out I will post some soon. I imagine many other members have some of his writings too.

Update-Alas, I was mistaking and have only seen articles written by him over my collecting periodicals days. I have several old time collector's notes and letters but not his.

Last edited by Leon; 04-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

While the original art was sold, what about the company, what little is left. There must be some publication rights or the company name or something right?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:50 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
I know I have all of his Trader Speaks articles on Exhibit cards and related issues. I’ve thought about posting them, but it’s a long series, with I think 30+ articles, and I don’t think he finished it before The Trader Speaks folded, as Dave H said. I have most, and maybe all, of his series of Exhibit card articles that were issued as supplements to Ballcard Collector in the early 70s. These are more detailed, including checklists, but they’re stapled into the center fold and would need to be removed very carefully. I’ll have to see whether I have all of those and how much of a pain it would be to remove them. Luckily Irv Lerner, whose run of Ballcard Collectors I have, does not seem to have been interested in Exhibit cards.

Scharf wrote an article for Ballcard Collector in 1970 with his memories of collecting 1933 Goudey cards when they came out. (Here’s a link: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219310) That would imply that he was born in the early 1920s or so, which would make him almost 100 if he was still alive.