NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Joe Jesselli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
I'm very surprised to see I've actually won two lots already as the only bidder on them. Never had that happen before....
There was a surprising number of lots with zero or one bid in this auction. In Lelands recently closed auction a stunning one third of the lots had zero or one bid. This trend is now widespread in the sports auction memorabilia business due to rising opening bids/reserves following the prosecution of the Mastro Crime Family.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by base_ball View Post
There was a surprising number of lots with zero or one bid in this auction. In Lelands recently closed auction a stunning one third of the lots had zero or one bid. This trend is now widespread in the sports auction memorabilia business due to rising opening bids/reserves following the prosecution of the Mastro Crime Family.
80 lots of 2300 do not have a bid. Any many items in most auctions have 1 bid. Doesn't seem significant to me at all, as many of the 80 are obscure pieces of memorabilia. No offense but it seems like you have some kind of agenda you are straining to advance.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-30-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:06 PM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Next time let's get together for some pints. Sounds like a good time!
Ten O'clock --- "Do you know where your children are ???" As they said in the good old days back on independent NY Chanel 5 News ........

Still a'go'n -------------------- Fun, Scott
Old 10-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Joe Jesselli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
80 lots of 2300 do not have a bid. Any many items in most auctions have 1 bid. Doesn't seem significant to me at all, as many of the 80 are obscure pieces of memorabilia. No offense but it seems like you have some kind of agenda you are straining to advance.
Simply an observation that opening bids have been hiked over the past few years.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Brian Dwyer

In case there is any delay in the distribution of the FAIR WARNING email, which was sent a few minutes ago:

The auction closing is imminent. Bidding has slowed down and the auction is drawing to an end. We recommend you get your bids in now and utilize Honest Auto Bid to avoid disappointment.

THE AUCTION WILL CLOSE WITHOUT FURTHER WARNING!

IT WILL NOT GO UNTIL MIDNIGHT EASTERN!

Thanks to all for participating!
Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Steven

Great auction Brian, always top notch. Good luck on future auctions as well bring us the goods.

Hope everyone did well...and that may mean winning nothing.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Aaron E.
Aa.ron Eps.tein

So I have to ask because I know nothing about Old Judge cards, but that king Kelly in PSA 9 looks trimmed and significantly shorter than every other old judge in this auction. What do people think? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 10:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Thank you REA, great auction.

Regarding the N172 Kelly, different years and even subsets come in different sizes. For example, the Script and numbered cards excluding Brooklyn, are the smallest cards in the set (Kelly being a short number). The numbered Brooklyn cards among the largest. That Kelly is nice, from the scan alone I don't see any red flags.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
This is just a bit of a change from REA auctions from several years ago, where starting bids were rock bottom and a 2,000 lot auction literally may have 2-3 items not get a bid. I didn't see it as an agenda from the post or an issue with the auction, just an observation.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
This is just a bit of a change from REA auctions from several years ago, where starting bids were rock bottom and a 2,000 lot auction literally may have 2-3 items not get a bid. I didn't see it as an agenda from the post or an issue with the auction, just an observation.
I guess I was having a hard time making the connection between RE's opening bids and a reference to some other dude in jail. Maybe I didn't have enough coffee.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
Under that scenario, the lot would be closed to new activity.
I don't recall seeing that in the auction rules any where. It may also promote people that think that the initial bid is close to what the market price is, and people rushing to call you to make the initial bid that "purchases" the item.

If I were a seller, I am not sure that I would like that. In general the opening bids are lower than they should be to ensure the items sell, but the side affect is that there is almost always competition to help push the price up.

The prices last night were very weak in my opinion but it is in no way the result of changing the format. The market is saturated and there are some big players that have dropped out. This trend of lower prices will continue on certain cards.

Some people may have gotten caught with their pants down, but I am sure today they will know what happened and why, and on the next auction it will not again. Either way, if you ask me, they have no reason to complain. The people who stay informed don't have issues, and the people that feel they are entitled do. It is up to the person to determine which they are and how important it is to them.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 10-31-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

After the exchange with RE last night, I checked out all the items with no bids. It seemed a # of them were withdrawn. Maybe sellers have the option to indicate whether they want their item yanked if no bids in regulation time or whether they are happy selling for the minimum in overtime.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Prices seemed fair for the stuff that I was shut out of. I agree the market has been flooded lately with major auctions. Only so many people in the market for a 33 Goudey Gehrig PSA 7 or 8.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-31-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
I don't recall seeing that in the auction rules any where. It may also promote people that think that the initial bid is close to what the market price is, and people rushing to call you to make the initial bid that "purchases" the item.

If I were a seller, I am not sure that I would like that. In general the opening bids are lower than they should be to ensure the items sell, but the side affect is that there is almost always competition to help push the price up.

The prices last night were very weak in my opinion but it is in no way the result of changing the format. The market is saturated and there are some big players that have dropped out. This trend of lower prices will continue on certain cards.

Some people may have gotten caught with their pants down, but I am sure today they will know what happened and why, and on the next auction it will not again. Either way, if you ask me, they have no reason to complain. The people who stay informed don't have issues, and the people that feel they are entitled do. It is up to the person to determine which they are and how important it is to them.
" This trend of lower prices will continue on certain cards."

That part is true every auction ever year actually.

I always check to see if the babe ruth 1933 psa 1s are going for 1000 or 1956 jackie robinson psa 8s going for 1000 as my bird in the coal mine. If i see either of those going for 500 for example then i know its a bad auction or the end is coming..

A leaf SGC 5 Jackie robinson did go for over 5300 which i thought was very strong. It also appears the high dollar cards did well like the cobb/cobb rookie ruth etc

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-31-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 AM
Jason Seidl

Default won 1 lot

nabbed one of the lots I was targeting, thought the price was fair.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I remember being the under bidder on this card,

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=41538

this time it went for about $8k less.

Overall I thought the prices were about right. However, if you get into a bidding war with someone, when it is time to sell, you might be caught a bit short, (especially if you are a total A-hole and people remember) .
Old 10-31-2016, 08:29 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I remember being the under bidder on this card,

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=41538

this time it went for about $8k less.

Overall I thought the prices were about right. However, if you get into a bidding war with someone, when it is time to sell, you might be caught a bit short, (especially if you are a total A-hole and people remember) .
if prices are falling you would think there would be more incentive to do direct deals to attempt to make up for that 20 percent juice. I know the total sales of my cards with bp were a bit more than i paid in direct deals but i lost money due to the buyer premium. All of my items were purchased in direct deals so i guess i pay well considering i lost money when selling them at an auction, but only due to the buyer premium as total sell price was a bit more than i paid

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-31-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A lot of collectors don't want to think they are losing money selling privately and many buyers don't want to buy privately as they feel they can do better at auction. That is the reason for auction proliferation. Buyers seem to think they can always get a better deal in auction when that is simply not true. Many times yes, many times no. Personally, I try to do whatever I think makes sense. I consign a little bit and also sell privately. Knowledge is key. I liked the way the new REA was done more than the old REA due to the ending time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
if prices are falling you would think there would be more incentive to do direct deals to attempt to make up for that 20 percent juice. I know the total sales of my cards with bp were a bit more than i paid in direct deals but i lost money due to the buyer premium. All of my items were purchased in direct deals so i guess i pay well considering i lost money when selling them at an auction, but only due to the buyer premium as total sell price was a bit more than i paid