NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default REA N162 Goodwin Champions Set

A Net 54 thread that is not infrequent is having a member ask about what set they should pursue. Clearly, that kind of question is asked with the hope of actually being able to complete the suggested set.

I was killing time this past rainy Saturday in New Jersey by wandering around in the current REA auction and came upon the N162 Goodwin Champions set. While that is a substantial set, it is certainly one capable of being completed given the time, inclination, and funds.

Most of us, I think, have often talked about the thrill of the chase, but I am wondering if we think have to think that way because we have to appease ourselves because we need to acquire our collections little by little (very often one card at a time). The REA N162 lot is an opportunity to grab a whole set in one fell swoop. And this is an exceptional set - #1 in the SGC registry with the 19th century baseball players being the cream of the crop.

If you had unlimited funding (or at least considerably more than your normal budget), would you prefer to grab up an entire set like this or would you still stick to your card-by-card hunt?

I think Ted Zanidakis (Hi, Ted!) might have a full set of N162s. I'm too busy with my domestic engineering duties to search the forum to see if he ever actually posted that. If that is true, when he reads this perhaps he can comment on how long it took him to accumulate the whole thing.

Since the estimate is open on the REA site, anyone want to take a guess what a primo set like this might bring? I'm thinking it's got to be at least double the current $75K level.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Dollars

I can not place an educated guess as to the final gavel price, but as far as buying a complete set vs set building, it totally depends on what kind of collector you are. I like the thrill of the hunt and piecing the set together and the frustrations and excitements that come with all of that. That being said, this set in REA is pretty darn nice and would be a great centerpiece for a collection. To each their own. I enjoy the chase.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post

I think Ted Zanidakis (Hi, Ted!) might have a full set of N162s. I'm too busy with my domestic engineering duties to search the forum to see if he ever actually posted that. If that is true, when he reads this perhaps he can comment on how long it took him to accumulate the whole thing.

Hi Kevin

I started collecting the N162 set (50-cards) in the late 1980's. In 1990, I was fortunate to win a complete set that was advertised in an SCD auction.
Over the years, I've put together 2.4 more sets in the process of upgrading my #1 set.

I tend to agree with you that purchasing an entire set of these beautiful cards is better than trying to acquire them piece wise.

TED Z
Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

And, the rest of my GOODWIN CHAMPIONS......

TED Z
Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I tend to agree with you that purchasing an entire set of these beautiful cards is better than trying to acquire them piece wise.
Thanks, Ted!

They all are beautiful cards!

I no longer have even a single example. I sold or traded the two I had - Kelly and Dunlap - for opportunities to advance my N172 collection.

Last edited by kkkkandp; 10-25-2016 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2016, 07:39 AM
Mark Medlin

I have a near set. I am missing all the baseball players. The football player, and for some reason I can't lay my hand on my buffalo bill card, but I know I have it somewhere. My boxers are pretty nice but the others run the gamut on condition. To answer your question, I would buy the set if I had the funds. I get pleasure from ownership moreso than the hunt.

Mark
Old 10-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Tom Boblitt

The hunt is great but when you piece it together card by card, you almost always will pay more. Then the upgrading will cost you exponentially more. With unlimited funds, I would buy the set all the time.....regardless of the set. Since that is not a world that I live in, I buy a set when I can and upgrade or piece it together a card at a time. But we can all dream--right? I have a dozen or so of them....mostly non-BB in VG to EX condition. They are very popular obviously in any condition and sell well, so there's usually spirited competition for them unfortunately.

About 15 years ago, I bought an album that had 10-12 of them (2 BB) and 500-600 total cards with 70-80 Old Judges (skinned) and a couple dozen Buchners. I was fortunate to soak all of them out and got the two BB N162's and quite a few of the Buchners graded. The two N162's (Dunlap and Glasscock, I think) got like SGC45-55 or so. Mid grade but they really popped in the holders. Would like to have all those cards back.....including the nonsports. Oh well...........I could say that about a LOT of stuff!

Last edited by autograf; 10-25-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Tom Boblitt

p.s. FANTASTIC set Ted!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Thanks, Tom

These Goodwin's, and their Album, are the favorites of my entire Sportscards collection.

A36 Album (12 pages)

TED Z