NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default J Wilber Ganterman Gehrig Drawing

Hello My Dad picked this up in the late 70's and we have owned it since. As you can see it is inscribed by Eleanor Gehrig. The piece is signed by J Wilber Ganterman of St. Louis and since the quality looks pretty good to me (Although I am Definitely not an art critic) I wondered if anyone here had any other of his drawings. for clarity not for sale just looking for information on the piece. Barry Halper looked at this in the mid 80's and said that the Eleanor Gehrig signature in his opinion was real. Aside from getting Barry's thoughts this is first time I have reached out for info on this piece.

Thanks for looking
Jonathan
Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Pics

Sorry Pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140520_12_00_23_Pro.jpg (72.9 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140520_12_00_47_Pro.jpg (55.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

I am no expert, but two things seem odd to me....

1. the inscription looks fairly shaky and looks to be slowly drawn, rather than a person's natural handwriting.

2. Eleanor appears to have signed her last name very similar to the way Lou signed his own last name. Maybe Eleanor developed this habit while signing for Lou? I'm not sure...

I will defer to the experts, but I wonder if anyone else would have the same concerns.

One thing's for sure -- the drawing itself is absolutely spectacular!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM

She would have been 54 in 1958. I would have thought an older person penned that but I don't know anything about her hand writing.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 05-20-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Chris P.

Default Ganterman

I have come across a lot of Gonterman's prints, but nothing original. He was good, popular for pencil portraits of famous Americans. He was not great though and has not appreciated in value at all. Many of his works had a "signature" of his subject also that was also well done. I would have no opinion on the Gehrig inscription being real or not, other than stating again much of his work has very close "signatures" of his subjects. You can probably find his stuff on ebay from time to time.

Here is one of his of Thomas Jefferson as an example. (pulled from eBay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16dHJGYE9noojiULBRWOh00RV!~~60_57.jpg (78.9 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by veleno45; 05-21-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Thank you for info. I know that the Lou Gehrig signature is part of the drawing The signature I had asked Mr. Halper about was the Eleanor Gehrig at that time he was the only collector I knew that owned and had handled autographs of Mrs. Gehrig. This drawing is from a series of famous Americans I wonder if he drew any other baseball players he seems to have captured Lou very well.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Chris P.

Default Gonterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Thank you for info. I know that the Lou Gehrig signature is part of the drawing The signature I had asked Mr. Halper about was the Eleanor Gehrig at that time he was the only collector I knew that owned and had handled autographs of Mrs. Gehrig. This drawing is from a series of famous Americans I wonder if he drew any other baseball players he seems to have captured Lou very well.
Yes, Babe Ruth was part of this series also. There are plenty of those that become available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9256731_1_l.jpg (52.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default J Wilber Gonterman not Ganterman

Thanks when I noticed the o I searched and found a number of his prints including the Ruth and got the answer I was looking for about who he was and where he stood as an artist and illustrator.