NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 AM
An$on

Default Overgraded or just me?

Somehow a stain visible on front and back and fraying/discoloration on borders with even light paper loss on back upper right corner is considered NM? Maybe it's just me, but I see more of this stuff with PSA than the other graders.

Or maybe this really is NM and I'm nitpicking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Goudey-...item4ae344abdc
Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Ex at best
Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Eric Perry

I can't believe the seller put, "great looking card for the grade" in the title.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Jason Albregts

"Tremendous" is a pretty strong word. You are just asking for criticism using that word for that card.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

so this seems as good a time as any... do you think tpgs actually view grades like nrmnt as universal terms? like can you picture a 1972 topps card in such condition ever garnering such a grade? I honestly don't get it.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 AM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
so this seems as good a time as any... do you think tpgs actually view grades like nrmnt as universal terms? like can you picture a 1972 topps card in such condition ever garnering such a grade? I honestly don't get it.
Absolutely not - and that's kind of my beef, to be honest. Imagine if you went to a card shop and they were selling a card a few years old with stains, paper loss, etc. as NM. It'd be utterly ridiculous. You don't need to look far to find that the grading is clearly eased up for older cards. For example, here's a Barry Bonds 1987 Topps PSA 7, which is pretty perfect with the exception of some very light wear to some corners. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Topps-B...item3ceec6f144

I'm not in favor of it, but I can live with them allowing for some discoloration - but that's really it for me. NM should be NM regardless of year. That's why NM cards from that era command such premiums. A good example of why the grades should not be fluid is a Beckett Price Guide, which lists a pre-1948 card (I believe that's the cutoff, anyway) as 100% of the book value in EX condition. If it's NM, it is 300%. If you use that pricing, there's no way that they should be more flexible with grades for older cards.

IMO.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

I find that SGC is tougher PSA. PSA lets a lot of thing go lately SGC is more strict
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM

If you look at the "Inner Rounded Corners"... This tells us that the Card was Graded in the first 2 years of PSA's existence... In which PSA was Very Lenient with their Grading... The Low Bar Code # is indicative of the Grading Time also!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:30 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I can't believe the seller put, "great looking card for the grade" in the title.
He meant to say great grade for the card.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Well met. I agree completely.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Kind of funny.....but unless it's a registry card would the number matter when it's actually sold? A lot of vintage seems to sell for what it actually is rather than what the number says about it. Centering, and other attributes which don't show up in a "number", can significantly determine the value of our gems. The best cards bring the best money, again, unless it's a number-on-a-slip-of-paper kind of thing, which is ok too if that is what you are into.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Marty K.

That is so off ..was it switched somewhere along the line?

As Leon says if someone pays 7 money for that card .....they are buying numbers not cards........

Irishdenny is there info online about Psa's serial numbers? or would you care to share your knowledge....

Thanks, Marty
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
If you look at the "Inner Rounded Corners"... This tells us that the Card was Graded in the first 2 years of PSA's existence... In which PSA was Very Lenient with their Grading... The Low Bar Code # is indicative of the Grading Time also!
I agree. When I look at PSA graded cards with low bar code numbers, the grading appears to be very generous.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
Somehow a stain visible on front and back and fraying/discoloration on borders with even light paper loss on back upper right corner is considered NM? Maybe it's just me, but I see more of this stuff with PSA than the other graders.

Or maybe this really is NM and I'm nitpicking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Goudey-...item4ae344abdc
Not nitpicking, not a 7.