NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Default Cooperstown vacation

Just got back from my annual extended visit to Cooperstown. Spent 10 beautiful days there. Weather was unusually warm for up there, mid 80s first part of the week and we did get some rain for a couple of days but it was, as always, a great time. The highlight was visiting Colliersville Antiques (about 30 minutes south of Cooperstown) where I had a nice time talking with Don Flewelling and his wife about baseball cards and memorabilia. Don promotes the card show in Cooperstown on induction weekend at the VFW (right across the street from the HOF), another great event. He sold me a couple of nice T206 Southern Leaguers while I was there. That was a bonus. If you are in the area, it is worth a trip to Colliersville, just to talk to Don about his 60 years of collecting. BTW, Don had a lot of nice things to say about Ted Z. as well.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Just got back from my annual extended visit to Cooperstown. Spent 10 beautiful days there.
I love Cooperstown and head up there from the NYC area several times a year. I've been to every HOF Weekend for the past 8 summers and several before that .
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Cooperstown

Don is a great guy. I've bought several cards from him at the Cooperstown show on Induction weekend in the past. I always look forward to visiting with him and Ted.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Mark

To those who have been there before for the Induction, I'm going this year. What do I need to know? I'm staying in Utica (closest I could get)

How should I approach that Sunday's events?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 PM

I go up every year with Ted Z. Get to town as early as possible to find intown parking. Go to Doubleday Field (on Main St. near the hall and on the same side of the street). On induction day parking is not allowed in the field's parking lot. Beginning at about 10 am they run continuous shuttle buses from there to the induction site (Clark Gym, also no parking allowed there). After the ceremony, the shuttle buses do continuous round trips back to Doubleday Field. The buses go non-stop. If you're up to it, it's about 3/4th of a mile's walk from Doubleday Field to Clark Gym. You can set up a chair or beach towel to sit anywhere in the gym's field to watch the ceremony.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Parking for the induction ceremony

On Sunday morning if you drive up the hill to the area where the Induction Ceremony takes place you will find several homes that sell parking spaces. They range from $5-$15. The walk is only a few blocks to the field. Take sun screen if its sunny. I believe there are six inductees this year and that's a lot of speeches. My wife and I always pack a cooler full of cold drinks and sandwiches, but the local High School sells hot dogs like they do at the ball park.

Lots to do during the weekend. Don't miss the card show and sale at the VFW across the street from the Hall. Not a big show, but quality pre-war vendors. I spend a lot of time there on Saturday, while my wife goes shopping in the village. She always finds a few non-baseball treasures and is very happy.

Lots of great places to eat. I actually prefer to buy hamburgers and hot dogs from the street vendors along Main Street, but if you want a good sit down meal there are several good spots in town.

Best of all is the museum itself. They have really done a great job to keep the exhibits fresh and interesting. I go to Cooperstown every year and I always see something that I never seen before.

Enjoy your trip and don't get to frustrated with the crowds purchasing autographs.

Best regards,

Joe