NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Where do I send these flips?

I'm at 30 flips for both SGC and PSA... do I just send them to the same address that I would send cards to be graded? Or somewhere else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0021.jpg (73.0 KB, 449 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Flipped out

Erick, I'm not sure where to send them. But that's an impressive pile of flips
Old 12-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

Beautiful.

If you list them as a lot, one day, on eBay, let me know, I'd bid on them.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

just trash them, the pop reports are already wrong, especially for t206's.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Mike

Destroy. If they get into the wrong hands, they will be used with reprinted cards etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Just a thought

Is there a company that grades flips? If not, there should be...

Cheers,
Geno
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Jeff Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Destroy. If they get into the wrong hands, they will be used with reprinted cards etc.

This is the answer.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Here's mine...

I haven't counted but probably between 300 or 400.
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00173-20111216-1854.jpg (76.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Egads! Perhaps, the time has come to seek some therapy .

Lovely Day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoarding_denis.jpg (29.8 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by iggyman; 12-16-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
just trash them, the pop reports are already wrong, especially for t206's.
Yep. That's where mine go!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Ken McMillan

Take the Monte Python approach........burn them!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

Don't trash them!!!! These images should be posted every time a thread starts up about how sacrosanct and inviolate those reports are, SMR's or pop reports or whatever the things are. At best, those folks attempt to count how many times they've graded a card, NOT how many there are.

Great image, Doug. You've got me digging for mine...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 12-16-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 PM

Seeing all of these flips from cracked-out cards got me thinking...if they were all sent back in to the TPG's, would they even bother to correct the populations of those cards?

For example...the majority of flips shown are from PSA. I may be off-base, but I would think that they would be hesitant to lower the overall number of cards that they have graded - it might lessen their perceived dominance of the TPG market.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:02 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Actually, PSA is really good about updating their pop reports if you send them the flips. I usually send the flips at the same time I do a submission (so it's the same address). Usually by the time the submission is processed, the pop reports have been updated also.

For SGC, however, it's more difficult. Like PSA, I sent out the cracked out flips with my submission to SGC (so same address again). At the end of Sept, my submission was mailed back to me. No updates to the pop report. I waited 2-3 more weeks, and sent SGC customer service an email asking how long it typically takes for the pop reports to get updated. No response. I posted the same question on the SGC forum. No response from SGC. Finally, at the end of November, I sent SGC customer service a gentle reminder. Earl from SGC promptly replied to me with the following response:

"I will work on removing the labels as soon as I can find additional time. It is a long process to go through to do this, so as I can find the time I will work on this for you."

Now the pop reports have been updated. Again, in fairness, there's a lot more personnel at PSA than SGC to be able to do this. However, unless your flips are very low pop cards (like I had), I probably wouldn't bother sending them back to SGC.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Brian Dwyer

I know SGC will remove them from the pop report as I used to do it over the period of time that I worked there. It is, however, a tedious process that does require extra time and with the limited personnel, I'm sure it's a lower priority item. I'd continue to send them in, and if there's a card or cards that are of particular importance for you to have removed from the pop report, send a note asking for those few to be done sooner rather than later.

Brian
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
JeR@Me

Default Flips...

I have sent my SGC and PSA flips in several times and they always remove the corresponding cards. (I actually followed up to check) - I would usually send in about a dozen or so when I submitted cards. I would put them in an envelope and simply say "Attention - Customer Service -Please remove from Pop reports" I understand the thinking of some folks with regards to more popular sets with tens of thousands of cards like the T206 set, but I am diligent when it comes to very low pop (scarce to rare) issues, like say T210 high numbers, T213-1 Coupons, T211 Red Suns as I want as accurate a picture as possible with such low pop numbers. I don't take the pop reports as the gospel, but they do show trends on populations for certain players or series and I find it very beneficial in guiding me on scarcity/values,etc. Of course my collecting habits are not too main stream, so this is probably why I take a more responsible interest in returning the flips. I think we have about a 10 year+ sample pop out there now and even with sets like OJ, the trends are interesting with certain players as I find they do show scarcity, etc. Happy Holidays !

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 12-17-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Brian Horne

My opinion-
If you have cracked the cards and are keeping them raw, don't send the flips back. If you are having them re-graded or sell them in the future then do send in the flips.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Doug Goodman

I'm thinking I might sell mine on ebay. I think there might be a 10 in my pile, a couple of 9s, some 8's, plenty of 7's, lots of 6s and 5s, maybe a couple 4s.

Hmmmmmm.........
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Don't trash them!!!! These images should be posted every time a thread starts up about how sacrosanct and inviolate those reports are, SMR's or pop reports or whatever the things are.
Frank,
Can you show us one of those threads? I don't remember seeing one.
Thanks,
JimB
Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM

I crossed a card from PSA to SGC with a total population of four. In this case I thought duplication of one example in a pop report would be seriously misleading so I sent the flip to PSA with a note. They addressed it immediately.
JimB
Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Flips

So if we submit crossovers to SGC (or to PSA) with the cards still in the other companies slabs, do those companies retain the flips and periodically mail them back to each other?
Fwiw,
I will admit that I pay little attention to Pop reports.
I've been collecting a long time so I kinda know which cards are seen more than others. A pop report wouldn't change how I collect anyway.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
So if we submit crossovers to SGC (or to PSA) with the cards still in the other companies slabs, do those companies retain the flips and periodically mail them back to each other?
Fwiw,
I will admit that I pay little attention to Pop reports.
I've been collecting a long time so I kinda know which cards are seen more than others. A pop report wouldn't change how I collect anyway.
No, both PSA and SGC have said that they do not retain the flips and mail them back to the other companies. That's why if you do want to keep the pop reports accurate, you have to crack out if you want to crossover. And then send the flips back to the original TPG. Again, this is only relevant for valuable cards with very low pop numbers.

I've also noticed ppl say that this is only useful if they plan on selling the cards, but they also say that when they pass on, their heirs will sell their collection. So for those of us who do not plan on having their cards buried with them or have kids who love cards as much as they do, I would still recommend on sending the flips back for those cards where the pop numbers would affect their value. IMHO, this would be cards with pops under 20 and worth over ~$250. You can make your own determination on this.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I remove cards from slabs because I don't like them. I put the card in a topl, but I usually just stick them loose in the then the topload in a teamset bag. I normally stick the flip between the topload and the teamset bag...Don't know why, it usually says "1".