NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Finley-Next moderator of Network 54

Posted By: Anonymous

In my opinion, the repeated creation of a sexually charged atmosphere is reason enough to allow this gentleman to follow in the footsteps of Mr. Chao, whose only offense was deliberately inane posts.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

Marshall,

If you do choose to leave the board, I wish you luck in your future endeavors and your collection. Thank you for the tip on silver, and I don't want you to think that I have always been so perfect. No one has. It is not about that, and I hope you understand.

Life is a learning process, and while you may choose to agree or disagree with what I say, hopefully it is something you will digest. Intolerance of minority, underprivileged or mistreated populations based on race, gender and sexual preference only serves to exacerbate hatred - and it can and DOES lead to real violence, whether that is intended or not.

Best of luck in the future.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

On those last remarks I got your back. I think it is fair to ask Marshall not to post sexual overtone comments or otherwise too much derogatory embellishment. I would also ask for there to be no more Nazi innuendos....Those things offend folks (not me that much but it's not about me) and this isn't a place people should have to be offended when they come to it.

A bunch of the other stuff is quite dramatic and I want to say something like "take it easy Betsy".....It's not like this is life threatening stuff....really...get over it.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Just to be clear, I was never suggesting that anyone should look the other way when one person calls another a Nazi. My point was, in a discussion about baseball cards, it is beyond me to understand how anyone could ever be so emotional that he/she would call someone a Nazi, a douchebag, or any of the other fine insults that have been thrown around.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Well Marshall, this board is not about you so it's back to baseball cards. If you can't post on topic then please leave.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Leon - thanks much. I appreciate it.

The Real Dan K happy.gif Check your email. All's good.

J

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Leon,

As far as I'm concerned, Godwin's Law has been invoked, the losing party has been declared and the thread is over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Administrator

The problem with hate speech is not that many find it offensive. Even if it wasn't found offensive by anyone on this board, it would still be morally reprehensible. Just its very nature is unethical. For instance, if this was a board for the Klu Klux Klan, people were using racial epithets, the other members may not find those comments offensive. Nevertheless, they are still very unethical. I hope we can all agree on that.

So therefore, it is not the result of the hate speech that makes it unethical, but the nature of the hate speech itself that is unethical. I hope this provides clarity for our board moderators.

Also, I want to say that based on his most recent post in response to Joann, a very weak attempt to delegitimatize her concerns and feelings, I now personally call upon the moderators to remove Marshall from the board. It is clear that he is unable to apologize, or grasp, the consequences of his actions, and therefore his continued presence remains a threat to the Network54 community.

I regret to say that, but it is something that must be done - not only for the good of the board, but the good of society as a whole.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Your Johnson's ok i guess......to be honest I'm just not that into Johnsons - though I'm rather fond of my own. Just my call to be sure, but yours doesn't really measure up all that well with mine - which is clearly bigger, shows far greater signs of usage, and is rearing back and ready to pitch! happy.gif

If you're going to bring a Johnson to the party be prepared for comparisons!!!!

[linked image]

Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

you been around the block, havent you ?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

This thread, and the Mile High one, may be the low point of Net 54. With due respect, I strongly disagree with the way this has been handled. The repeated use of the "F" word on a public forum such as this which is doubtless read by younger people, and the repeated sexually charged language, should not have been tolerated, and a simple "please don't do it again" is an inadequate response. Just my opinion.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

I started reading this message board a while ago and began posting on it relatively recently, and I've never quite encountered somebody like this on any message board, ever. I've seen a few very intelligent, baseball-related posts from Marshall. I've also seen a few ridiculous ones and until this point chose to ignore them.

Marshall -- Unlike many others around here I wouldn't mind if you stayed. You clearly have a decent knowledge of vintage cards and a nice collection. However, if you do stay can you please tone it down a notch? You may have recorded with the best musicians and played golf with Michael Jordan and Donald Trump and slept with the world's most beautiful women (though I am unsure that you are exactly what you purport to be), but you needn't bring those things up on a daily basis. Many of the people on this board also have accomplished great things, amassed vast fortunes, and built world class baseball card collections, but they don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops at every opportunity. I've found that just about everyone here is incredibly kind, generous, and respectful. Please do your part to keep the board that way, and allow it to continue to be informative and entertaining (note: none of the recent antics have been entertaining -- not to me anyway). So, should you choose to stay (or if you are ALLOWED to stay), please just take it down a notch and keep the talk to (mostly) baseball. You're a nonconformist, and I can respect that, but all of the nonsensical attention-grabbing has got to stop.

Some of that (specifically the "do your best to keep the board respectful, informative, etc" part) can also apply to others; I'm not speaking about anyone specifically, but I think everyone (including myself) can be reminded of that at some point, not just in regards to a baseball card forum but in life itself.

Should you choose to leave, I wish you well in your music and golf careers. I also recommend using your connections to land a job on a radio show (think Howard Stern) or as a late night talk show host. I'm guessing that many people would enjoy listening to/watching you, just in a different venue; it would also give you an outlet to express yourself that isn't a vintage baseball card forum.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I'm with Spaeth.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

Dan....you stated. " Unlike many others around here I wouldn't mind if you stayed. You clearly have a decent knowledge of vintage cards and a nice collection. However, if you do stay can you please tone it down a notch? You may have recorded with the best musicians and played golf with Michael Jordan and Donald Trump and slept with the world's most beautiful women (though I am unsure that you are exactly what you purport to be), but you needn't bring those things up on a daily basis. Many of the people on this board also have accomplished great things, amassed vast fortunes, and built world class baseball card collections, but they don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops at every opportunity. I've found that just about everyone here is incredibly kind, generous, and respectful. Please do your part to keep the board that way, and allow it to continue to be informative and entertaining (note: none of the recent antics have been entertaining -- not to me anyway). So, should you choose to stay (or if you are ALLOWED to stay), please just take it down a notch and keep the talk to (mostly) baseball. You're a nonconformist, and I can respect that, but all of the nonsensical attention-grabbing has got to stop.

What tickles me about this board is how when people ask questions then they try and turn it around on the person when they respond. Case in point. Check the Jim Bunning thread. Akatz starts spouting off at Lichtman and asks him questions which there was no need for so when Lichtman responded........-Gasp-.....because he is a defense attorney.....-Gasp-....... Akatz turned it around and made Lichtman out to be a self absorbant arrogant rich type who gets drug dealers and known murderers off. Am i the only person that sees this? Talk about trash talking and below the belt....where was the chocolate eclair spaceship and border patrol when that was going on?

When i speak of myself or accomplishments it is always after someone either asks me a question or questions what i have done. Never have i started a thread.......ohhhhhhhh.....wheeeeeeeee....everybod y......wwwoooookkkieeeee.... at me.

Most of the time someone will say i can't find your record label or i have never heard of you or you do not own any tobacco cards or you do not know Marily Manson.....now when i respond then on comes my group of hecklers saying .......zrrrrrrrrrrrr.....zrrrrrrrrrrr...whistles sounds........chococlate eclair spaceship arrives........ i start getting pummeled with gobstoppers......you are nothing but a self absorbant arrogant nobody Happy Gilmour wannabe blah blah blah.........kinda sounds a tad like the Jim Bunning thread now don't it.

Also i will state i have several jewish friends and did not state that to in anyway to belittle jews or anyone else. My point was made about the energy of the the room and the way control was being handled so what i should have said is something like "this is not russia Danny" is this Russia?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I don't make a great deal of money.

I have a college degree from an "average" university.

Despite my best efforts, I live basically month to month, with some debt.

Compared to most here, my baseball card collection is meager.

I suck as a handyman, attempts at fixing my "average" house usually leads to calling the pros.

I haven't seen much of the world or had many vacations or experience.

There will always be people with more, or better....and they can say what they want. However, I do have an incredible marriage, wife, two kids and religious conviction which has led to several spiritually liberating experiences....I feel incredibly at peace.

I would hope for those who have responded to this thread, which has been devisive, to feel the same.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Marshall,

The problem lies not in others wanting to control you. The problem lies in your failure to control yourself.

Jamie

Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think enough is more than enough. No more "Marshall" threads. And no more political threads for a (long) while either. Thanks for your consideration. I leave locking threads as a last resort, believe it or not. This one has more than run it's course. I apologize to anyone that was offended. Lets please talk about cards again. best regards