NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Robert

Default OT: Medical scare/Prayer request

Hey guys, haven't been on the boards much lately. Been quite possibly the toughest three weeks of my life and lately been a real roller coaster. I was out of town helping another Unit prepare for inspections the week before last when I received a phone call that my youngest daughter Ruthie was very sick. All the wife told me was that it may be a stomach bug but things turned for the worst on Friday afternoon. After she came home from the getting more bloodwork done at the doctors office they told us to immediately head to Childerens Hospital as they think she may have Type 1 diabetes. I just got home in enough time to head that way and meet them at the hospital. I never seen a little 10 year old go through so much pain. All I could hear from her was "daddy I would rather be in heaven then go through this diabetes and all the needles they are sticking in me". I fought back the tears and just stuck with her. The doctors and nurses were wonderful and we have been classes for the last few days as well learning how to take care of a child with type 1 diabetes. My insurance took care of a lot of it but still were out of pocket a bit more than I expected. We have changed plans for any holiday travels and are going to stay home to ensure that we get the insulin regulated/blood sugar levels etc as they should be. It has been quite a journey so far but the good Lord is watching over us. Just wanted to update everyone and keep you guys aware of what is going on.

Of course I haven't even looked through my cards in a few weeks now but had fun last night pulling some cards out for her and I to look through....that was neat. Just daddy daughter time and I enjoy that very much.

Please keep us in your prayers and everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Rob
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Robert

Default started her 1965 Topps SGC set

Been showing Ruthie the 1965 Topps football set that I started building a while back. She loves it and I have decided to build this for her and she can pass it on in the future. I have about 5 or 6 other cards that I will send off to SGC when I get time and or money but can't just now. I have named the set Ruthies (fight against type 1 diabetes) 1965 Topps football set. I am going to only concentrate on building this for her and enjoy it with her. Seems like she loves to just get involved with something and her smile when she sees the cards is awesome. I was so broken hearted the other day at Childrens hospital but for now its great to see her light up. I now have these cards in her room for her to enjoy. Still have a long ways to go on the set but this is my ultimate goal now.

Thanks for all the prayers guys
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Barry Sloate

Wishing you and your daughter the very best Robert. She should be able to live a normal life once she gets used to her new routine. Sorry you had to go through such a difficult ordeal.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Robert

Default Thank you

Thank you for your kind words. She is so strong and a real fighter. We will just continue to love her and keep life as normal as we can around the house.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have a relative with Type 1 who was a college hockey player, is married with kids, and lives a completely normal life. There was an Olympic swimmer recently (Gary Hall?) who also has Type 1. It is a frightening ordeal at first but it should have a good outcome. Best wishes.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM

Sending my prayers! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Robert

Default Thank you Peter

Thank you brother. She loves peewee cheerleading and dance. Ive told her we can still do all these things. We just have to keep and eye on her bloodsugar.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Barry Arnold

Default robert

my prayers are with your family at this moment and continuing.
juvenile diabetes is a chronic disease but can be managed well over time.
as you've already seen, it is disease which does well with the team approach
among physicians, diabetes educators, family, and patients.
I wish you the very best with this and a grateful thanksgiving.
Barry
Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Robert

So grateful and blessed to have great doctors and nurses at the hospital and very blessed to not be deployed as i have missed a few Thanksgivings. Thank you all for your prayers and words of encouragement.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Mike C@.v3

Robert...sorry your daughter and family had to go through all of this...I can't imagine. I'm happy to hear that things are looking up for her as no one should have to endure that, especially a child. I'll be sending prayers your way, friend...keep your chin up.

Mike
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Default set

hi Robert, looks like you need a Jim Perkins card #61 for your set. Send me your address and I will mail you this SGC 60 card.
Oh, I will also say three prayers for your daughter (3 has always been my lucky #)

Happy Thanksgiving!
jim
Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Robert

Default Thank you brothers

Thank you so much Mike and Jim!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Prayers and best wishes for Ruthie, Robert!!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Rich Klein

Default My best friend's

youngest son had this happen to him. He was originally using the needles each day but now has a pack (very small) strapped to his arm. He is living a totally normal life so hang in there.

Rich
Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Barry

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you, Ruthie and the rest of your family.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Best wishes to your daughter Robert. Sending her some good thoughts and karma her way....I hope she feels better real soon!

Ricky Y
Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Robert

Thank you Leon, Rich and Barry. After we get the insulin regulated we can start looking for a pump in which we can set for her. Right now we give novolog injections and lantis injection before bed. Taking her blood sugar up to 8 times a day breaks my heart seeing those bruised little fingers. Ive purchased lots of bandaids to cover her fingers after we tack the samples.

Ive been using the Calorie King book to track the amount of carbs in different types of foods. The wife and i are doing good with all meals for her right now. Weve centered Thanksgiving meal around only foods she can consume and left out lots of the bad stuff. I figure if she dont need it then we all probably dont.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Scott

Robert, God Bless you and the little one and your family. Dear Lord, send healing and comfort and peace to Robert, his daughter and family.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Robert

God bless you Scott! Thank you for the prayers sent up!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 PM
$teve O.

Robert a big prayer is going out for your daughter.I wish her and your family the best!!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Robert-I can't imagine what your family is going through, but God bless Ruthie as well as you and your wife-and my prayers are on the way!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Robert

Guys i cant thank you all enough! May God bless each one of you.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Robert,

Thoughts and prayers from our family to yours and especially little Ruthie.

Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 11-27-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Robert

Here are a few pictures of Ruthie at the hospital and when we left

She was felling a bit better in the above picture.......was a long couple of days

Here we are on the way home........she is feeling much better. Weather was getting bad and it was starting to get dark but we were so proud to be taking our Ruthie back home!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

as i wrote in the SGC board...Keep it strong!
We all feel for ya.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Jason Wells

My best wishes for her recovery Robert.She is in our prayers.

Last edited by Jason; 11-27-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Robert

Chris and Jason thank you so very much brothers!

She just had her snack she could have and I let her check my blood sugar using the pokey thing or so she calls it. Now she is just enjoying Disney channel.......God I love that Kid!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Robert,

My prayers and good wishes go out to Ruthie, you, and your family. Diabetes can be tough on kids, but the good news is that there are much better ways to manage it and cope with the disease today.

My "better half" has diabetes. My ex had diabetes since she was 2, became and RN, and went on to become a diabetes educator for children who traveled throughout the US and Europe, providing educational programs for children. While she was the expert, I've definitely had experience in spotting the signs of low blood sugar. And while there are classic symptoms, each person shows the signs or reacts a little different. My ex's blood sugar would drop below 70 and she was really out of it. My current's can drop below what the meter will read (25) and still be walking around. Also some people have more problems with going too high while others have more problems with dropping too low.

What I'm trying to get at is that while this can be scary (especially at first), you will begin to recognize your daughter's "patterns", and over time be able to use that to help her manage and address swings in here blood glucose levels.

I any case, I wish you all the best and for a strong "Team Ruthie"!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Robert

thank you so much brother! I have been reading a lot the last few days on checking for signs etc and any indicators that we must watch. She is doing real good at helping us out and remembering when to take sugar levels etc. The girl amazes me.

I can't say enough for the doctors and nurses along with the JDRF for all they have done.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Brandon Raber

Wishing you and your family all the best Robert. Ruthie seems like a real fighter and I'm sure that brighter days are just around the corner.

Brandon
Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Robert

Words can't express how much all these kind words, thoughts and prayers mean to us. Guys from the bottom of my heart I thank you!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Robert- All the best to you, your family and your daughter Ruthie. My wife also has Type 1 diabetes and had a rare adult diagnosis at about 29/30 (Jay Cutler was also diagnosed as an adult). She is about 5 years in now, and though I can't say her life is completely normal... can't be completely normal when she has to monitor/count virtually every carb she eats going forward and has to battle low blood sugars as well as the high... over time it has become her new normal. I trust this will be the same for Ruthie.

Other things that have been amazing in our experience over the past few years have been the advent of devices such as the CGM (continuous glucose monitor.. which means you don't have to prick yourself several times a day anymore) and the pump, which regulates the amount of insulin per injection. I'd expect these would be offered as options. As you go forward, feel free to contact us (my wife offered her email address if you have questions) anytime. I'm sure there will be a learning curve and adjustment period, even for others in your life as type 1, though different than the much more commont Type 2, is often misunderstood and mistaken for type 2.. but as already said, it will become a new normal.. and like with a Jay Cutler, or my wife, you still do the things you did before.

Best,
Ian

Last edited by itjclarke; 11-27-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Robert

Thank you so much Ian......got my girl down here reading these posts now.........she is lit up with a smile and in turn that gives me great Joy!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Andy Garden

Rob,

I worked with you a while back on a Billy Williams RC and you were a class act to work with. Sending positive thoughts to you and your family! Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,

Andy
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Default pRAYERS....

God Bless you and your daughter and family....MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Robert

Thank you Andy and mrvster.........I told my Ruthie that there are a lot of good guys here on these boards and she said she could feel all the prayers sent. The girl is strong In faith and for that I am most thankful.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Ruthie is in my prayers and wishing you and your family a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Christopher Williams

Wishing your daughter, you and your family the best, Robert.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Robert

Thanks Chris and Slip...........
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Robert

Prayer from me and family for your daughter. As in verse Romans 8:28 says, "...all things work together for good for them that love God"(KJV).

If you dont mind some other 60's football cards, if you PM me your adress, I will send them on to you and daughter.

Try and have a great Thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Robert

Thank you so much brother. I do love Romans and what the Word tells us. I typically think of Romans as power scripture and If im not mistaken the Apostle Paul wrote to us in Romans.

Last edited by Blackie; 11-27-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Chris

Blackie, my prayers for you and your family. Fortunately, with a few lifestyle adjustments she should be able to live a perfectly happy and healthy life. I look forward to reading about her card acquisitions and watching you two complete the set.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Robert

Thank you Chris!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Steve Skibel

Robert,

My thoughts are with you and your daughter. I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was was 2 years old and I am 46 now. I don't know how it would be to not have a shot every day as I do not know life without one. I want to tell your family that you can get through this a make her life a great one with all of the tools that the medical field now has to offer. I know that sports and exercise has had a positive influence on my type 1. If you or your daughter ever have any questions about this please reach out to me and let me know if I can help you. Although this is something she will always have, she can have a great life.

Sincerely,

Steve
Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Daryl

Robert, you're daughter is in our prayers. God answers prayers and will reward your faith in Him.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Bill Gregory

Rob, God bless your daughter, and your entire family. I can't think of anything better than having her back at home with you for Thanksgiving.

I can handle just about anything, but seeing a child suffer just tears me up inside. Luckily, it sounds like your Ruthie is a real fighter, and has some great doctors and nurses helping her. And she certainly has a great dad.

I am saying a prayer for her, and all of you.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 11-28-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Robert

Thank you Bill, Daryl and Steve! I wish you guys a very Happy Thanksgiving. Steve I may have a few questions for you later on concerning Type 1 diabetes. My daughter was asking some questions last night concerning pee wee basketball and I wasn't sure how to answer some of them in regards to athletics.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

Prayers sent.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Robert

Thank you Jason! Happy Thanksgiving to all on the boards here and may God continue to bless each and every one of you!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Robert

Had a wonderful Thanksgiving and Ruthie could feel the thoughts and prayers. She just took her bloodsugar test herself, pricked her finger and all. She is taking this all good and so proud to see her warm smiling face.

Now going to keep working on her 65 Topps football set. Going to try to get her a few cards for Christmas.

Thanks again for all the prayers and words of encouragement!