NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 2014 Cleveland Memories

Given that we are hearing some of the same hesitancies to attend Atlantic City that we heard about Cleveland, thought this might be good.

Post some positive experiences from Cleveland 2014.

A few great experiences:
  • not being sick - had a horrible cold the entire 2013 Chicago show
  • meeting Ken - I had been looking forward to it for months, and he is a great guy
  • having drinks with Doug Allen. Regardless of his situation and his criminal activity, hearing his stories from the days before I was in the hobby, was really special
  • Meeting so many Net54 members, and re-meeting others
  • A consistently delicious evening meal at the Marriott
  • others in no order, but the best was the roadtrip to/from (especially 'from') Cleveland. David and I got to see a part of the country that I had never been through - Little Big Horn, Deadwood, Badlands, etc.
  • Sharing a table with Mike, Tim and David
  • Leaving a load of big items with Al for consignment
Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Definitely hearing Doug talk about some of his earlier finds and chasing big consignments was an odd highlight.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Chris, I'm glad you responded. I am expecting to get bashed over that comment, but it was an entertaining evening. Just wish I hadn't crashed so early that night.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM

2014 was great! It was my first National Convention, I was able to finally meet in person a bunch of people I had known for years online (including Chris B., albeit briefly), I had a really nice dinner on Friday evening, and I got a hug from Al @ LOTG. Wins across the board!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:24 PM

Meeting you Scott for the first time at your booth was very enjoyable.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The only bad part about the 2014 National was having to get the convention center asap in the morning and having to eat a convention center hot dog for breakfast.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

It was great to finally meet you, Scott!

As for hanging with Doug, I'm sure that in all aspects in life it's much more fun to spend time with a scoundrel than a saint. Who wouldn't want to have a beer with John Dillinger or John Brown or Jose Canseco?

Ken
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints" ~ Billy Joel
Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
It was great to finally meet you, Scott!

As for hanging with Doug, I'm sure that in all aspects in life it's much more fun to spend time with a scoundrel than a saint. Who wouldn't want to have a beer with John Dillinger or John Brown or Jose Canseco?

Ken
It's creepy that you mentioned John Brown. I saw a dead ringer for him outside my local pub last night. He looked so much like Brown that I wanted to take his picture, but of course did not. There are some chairs on the sidewalk for smokers, and the homeless often take butts out of the ashtray and sit down for a smoke.

But yes, I think there is an added flair to the stories of such people due to remembering the adrenaline rush they felt during their illegal escapades.