NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Default Will Trade Entire 19th Cent. Collection For Advice / Suggestions Re: Card Scanning

Posted By: Jon & Jennifer

Okay, maybe not the ENTIRE collection. How about all the 1990's Scores?

Until recently, I used a digital camera to upload card photos (with very poor results most of the time). But I came across an old thread within this board where someone suggested using a scanner, rather than a camera. [We just bought a relatively inexpensive scanner within the last week -- a Canon LiDe 500F -- wow, what a difference.]

Despite my love & affection for this great new toy, I'm STILL having some serious problems getting decent scans. Could someone PLEASE let me know what I'm doing wrong or offer some suggestions??? The scans of card faces/fronts are a breeze, but I've found it literally impossible to get a clear & sharp scan of most vintage card BACKS. Blank backs or backs with large or bold print are not a problem, but cards with small, fine, or light tinted text turn out very blurred and totally illegible -- despite everything that I've tried thus far to reconfigure the scanner settings. I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong, because everyone else seems to be able to get scans of the same or similar issues that look fantastic.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm sorry for the slightly off topic post--hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction before it gets deleted!!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 01-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default Will Trade Entire 19th Cent. Collection For Advice / Suggestions Re: Card Scanning

Posted By: Josh K.

Jennifer,

I believe that there is an old thread on the subject of blurry/out of focus scans. If your scanner is, as I believe, one of the real thin canons, there may be nothing you can do. Some of the thin profile scanners have problems scanning slabbed cards (the scans are a bit out of focus because the scanner can't differentiate b/t the slab and the card in the slab). An Epson Perfection scanner would solve that problem (they are a bit bulkier, but most models are fairly inexpensive).

Unfortunately, if your problem is with unslabbed cards, Im not sure what the cause would be.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon & Jennifer

Thanks, Josh. I'll try to locate that thread on the board.

BTW, these are all slabbed cards that I've been scanning. Since the scans of the card fronts have been turning out just fine -- and only the card back/text portion comes out blurry -- I thought that maybe I didn't have the scanner settings configured properly to compensate for the fine/small print. (Like I said, I've tried different settings...I found myself sitting here at 2:00 a.m., muttering and cursing with each disappointing scan, and began to seriously consider just GIVING them all away, just to not have to scan another @#$*@(#$* vintage card back.)

Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

glad to help (hopefully). btw - when will I be receiving my sweet 1990 score cards?

Old 01-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I know you've already bought the scanner, but I always advise getting HP. I have my second HP scanner, an HP Scanjet 3970 and it works great and is simple to use. It couldn't have been more than $100 out the door. Most collectors I know use an HP scanner.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

to make fine print more legible, turn up the resolution. After you've made the scan you can resize it so it isn't so big.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.