NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Paul

Default Here's the problem with "unconfirmed" T206s

If you are paying a premium for a heretofore "unconfirmed" T206, you're not taking into account all of the Fac. 25, SC backed Sullivan portraits that go completely unnoticed in every day collections. I guess you can extrapolate some measure of rarity -- and if you're a "completist" then you need to have it. But, gosh... I wouldn't pay more than $15 for this card:

http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.co...-*UnConfirmed*

Collect what you love, by all means, but I can't escape the notion that there is something truly illogical about this particular endeavor. Stated another way, if SC Fac 25 Sullivan portraits like this are worth hundreds of dollars, I'm betting a lot more of them get found in the future.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Rob

Default Sullivan

I was the one who ran the winner up on this one. I think we were the only 2 bidding after about $120. I got the feeling I could have run this card to $1500 and still lost.

No one has popped up yet with a Devore Old Mill, which I was kind of expecting to happen. I would like to buy a Sullivan w/ this back combo if anyone has one. Cheers.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I'm shocked by the prices sometimes on cards that are 1 of 1 graded, such as the Broadleaf cards last night. I have a Dots Miller Broadleaf card, it will grade about VG. Whoever has the only one graded SGC10 needs to bribe me not to get mine graded, because I will, killing the resale value of your card that is 1 of 1 right now! (insert evil laugh here)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 05-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 PM
pete ullman

Default ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7a9lMSwL8
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM
pete ullman

Default ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia02fGpUQfU
Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

A very nice boardmember here has a Sullivan f25, agreed most likely just go unnoticed.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
A very nice boardmember here has a Sullivan f25, agreed most likely just go unnoticed.
Yep. The factory numbers on Sweet Caps are just not looked at. I picked up a lot in Hunts a while back that had two unconfirmed. I posted a thread and within minutes another member shared a scan of a slabbed card with the same back. The TPG don't list the factory and most auctions don't either.

I'd find it very had to believe that any sweet cap is a 1 of 1.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 PM

Default fact 25's

they are, believe it or not, much tufer than the 30's......I search all the time....true many go unnoticed, but they are id say, 4 x tufer than the 30's....

I have contacted sgc informally and expressed a great need for noting the factory #'s on the flip, or more info...

this would help GREATLY in tracking front/back combo scarcity's...

TPS's could make more MOOLA because, I'm sure, collectors would prob re sub cards for additional info on flip such as a factory designation...Vin Moretti and I were just talking about this the other night....
btw

I have the recently confirmed JOE LAKE OM BACK

where the scrap at??

Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Clayton

Well, just like any card, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Unconfirmed T206's on T206Resource just means they haven't been able to confirm the card-it doesn't mean one doesn't exist. If one surfaces, they adjust the list. They just don't "assume" one is out there, and list it as a confirmed card. That would be misleading, and I'm glad they do it the way they do.

Now, it's confirmed

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I was the one who ran the winner up on this one. I think we were the only 2 bidding after about $120.
I would guess you two may have been the only 2 bidding after $20.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

There are so many issues with relying on a tpg statistic that I don't apply a premium to any. I have busted well over a hundred, if not more, cards from their slabs and don't bother reporting those to the tpg's. There are still more ungraded than graded cards in existence. Crossovers have an obvious impact on pop reports by grading companies and as mentioned earlier the issue of the older graded cards not having a back listed to compare to. If they begin with factory #'s now, how will that validate an unknown population?

The only thing that makes sense to me is to grade cards as "authentic" or not slab them. Let the eye of the collector determine condition, rarity and value.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
There are so many issues with relying on a tpg statistic that I don't apply a premium to any. I have busted well over a hundred, if not more, cards from their slabs and don't bother reporting those to the tpg's. There are still more ungraded than graded cards in existence. Crossovers have an obvious impact on pop reports by grading companies and as mentioned earlier the issue of the older graded cards not having a back listed to compare to. If they begin with factory #'s now, how will that validate an unknown population?

The only thing that makes sense to me is to grade cards as "authentic" or not slab them. Let the eye of the collector determine condition, rarity and value.
I absolutely agree with this, but it is too late. Pandora's box cannot be closed.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
I would guess you two may have been the only 2 bidding after $20.

I was the one that bid $20 on it
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS