NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default WOW - Banned From PSA

Posted By: Brian

well, the saga continues from that PSa/DNA Frank Hayes card. It turns out the Joe banned be from using PSA services. a while ago, i bought the collectors club, and i sent in card last week.

they are being returned to be because according to customeer service, i am banned from using PSA per Joe.

now, i am in a battle to get my $99 club fee back.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

What did you expect? Yes, they made an error. But you went out of your way to publicly embarass them. It could have and should have, been handled much better.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

And we needed to know this for what reason? I'm no PSA supporter, but the way you handled this situation left a lot to be desired.

James

Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Your $99 battle is going to cause you, and us, about $1000 in agony...

Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Brian,

I'll pay you $100 for that card in the PSA holder! I'd love to be persona non grata by PSA, even though I'm not a member of their collector's club. It's almost two weeks into this new year and I still haven't broken my new years resolution of bashing PSA. Not once I have stated that PSA sucks on this board. That's pretty darn good, for me.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Fred,

i sent an email to Joe.. if i do not get the answer i would like, i will sell you the card.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

fred very generous of u and it looks like the MS org is getting $50. i hope you can get that tax deduct somehow.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Brian - the money from the cards you sell goes to fight MS? That's a great charity effort!

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

would I be opening up a can of worms if I asked what the issue was / and how it was handled?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

This is very bad news indeed. I thought I was the only one Joe has personally banned from using PSA services. Looks like I have been dethrowned.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

i am the KING!!!!!

but i just want my $99 back for the "club"

Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Joe D,

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1231189732/last-1231431474/Scan+1939+Play+Ball+Frank+Hayes+PSA-DNA+Goof%21

Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I thought 75% of the sale was to go to MS?

Steve

Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

let's not start this again.. please.. sure, are you buying the card?
EDITED THIS POST FOR NOW

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Start what? 8 other people replied to this nonsense too.

Why single me out? I asked because the last I saw
you had raised the % to 75%.

Steve

Old 01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator

NOT SAYING THIS MESSAGE FOR NOW.

Steve

Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Brian,

You seem to be missing one huge point. Rather than wait for PSA's response (which was to offer you far more than the card was worth, and more than you paid), you chose to use Ebay to take out a huge "ad" solely for the purpose of embarassing PSA.

The fact that you twisted it to look like you were doing a good deed for MS isn't the issue. The % you promised to donate isn't the issue. You were intent on ridiculing a company that made a mistake. You succeeded.

Now you're shocked that they prefer not to do business with you?

Edited to add: Do we really need another thread on this issue?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

Brian hasn't ruined his name and reputation enough on this board yet, so he'll keep creating threads until the task is accomplished.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty q

jim vb- you are right, we dont need another 40 post thread on this, this is a personal issue between this guy who is clueless!!! and psa. i guess he wanted a kings ransom from psa for this, instead he ""bashed"" them to no end and he is "schocked" he is banned!! what a @%#&*%^$. we dont care you are banned, and we dont care about your $99 bucks. you went from psa making it right to a $4,000 auction ??? you messed up and you pay the price. like i said, (other post) a family member has m.s. and had to have back surgery to straighten his spine, it went bad mind you, blood clots failed organs, etc, still in the hospital fighting since the week before x-mas, had it his whole life, when he collected for m.s. he never put half in his pocket!!!! all went for the cause pal!! i think you are pathetic!! what makes me wonder is why when you go to donate to m.s. through your acct over at the cu board it goes to your paypal acct???? what the heck is that!!! explain this???

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

PSA's loss is Net54's gain.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty q

rob d- ""lol"" my pizza was shared with my keyboard.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well I'm for Brian.

I doubt if it is in PSA's contract that they can unilaterally terminate the agreement AND keep the $99 if Brian does or says stuff PSA/Joe doesn't like.

Maybe I've learned from you guys. Some say that it doesn't matter if PSA made a mistake, nor how many mistakes; it is all about what they do to correct matters. BS. 1- They shouldn't make mistakes, 2- they didn't do much to correct this one, 3- they really need to reconsider the use of that word 'Professional' in the name.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I'll recommend Amateur Sports Service for the new company name.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Frank,

I'm not "against" Brian. But he was trying to both embarass PSA, AND, at the same time, profit from their mistake. His motives were never altruistic.

Even if 90% of the money went to MS (and he never designated a specific charity that I can recall), he was looking to take $400 out of the deal which was far more than the card was worth.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

There seems to be a awful lot of banning talk going on. My only comment is that if the card was sniffed out properly and never put in a holder then none of this would have happened. Whatever happened to accountability in this country? Last time i checked if you make a mistake then quit using excuses and make it right. If all the members on here knew the card was a fake and it is easily spotted as a fake then what the hell kind of graders are working for PSA now that slabbed the worthless piece of trash? The single most important factor to a grading company is it's graders and if they start blowing it watch out.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I need to make this clear.. the $4000 auction was not to sell the card. it was an Ad as someone already stated.

i have MS, and i figured is someone was actually going to buy it, money moght as well go to a good cause.

if i wanted to sell the card, i would put it up for auction with a $.99 opening bid like i do all my other auctions.

you do not get it.. i put $4000 because that is the max amount eBay will allow for an auction requesting instant payment... i wanted instant payment so no one would mess with the auction

think guys

Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

"you do not get it.. "

Oh, yes... yes we do.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Brian

Please take this kindly but I don't think you get it.

You had 50% then 75% of the sale would go to MS.

So if someone was foolish enough to buy it YOU would have kept

25% or 50% according to the auctions terms.

Again I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you but

that is what would have happened.

Unless of course ALL the money would have went to charity.

Steve

edited typo

Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

This guy is a con-artist!

He spent weeks on the CU forum begging for money because of some BS about a car wreck and his wife was sick and his dog needed a leg transplant (not really but you get the point). A forum user donated $100 to his cause which he immediately used to purchase a card on eBay for $150. Plus, while he is begging and posting story after story about his bad luck, he was dumb enough to post numerous threads about cards he recently purchased and had submitted to PSA.

As far as the Frank Hayes card is concerned, he stated more than once that he would not sell it after it was proven on this board and the CU forum that it was not legit. He also said that he would inform PSA of their mistake to maintain the integrity of the hobby. Of course, the day he received the card from PSA he listed it on eBay for $4000. The auction was pulled by eBay and I imagine Joe Orlando or someone at PSA had something to do with the auction being pulled.

With that kind of "integrity" do any of you really believe that he donates anything to any MS charities? If you do then you are as foolish as this thief.

If he has any rebuttal, I would gladly post all the other forums he is banned from or auction houses that he is on the prohibited bidders list. Yes, I did my homework.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Well...I gotta say I believe him that more than anything he wanted to put the auction on ebay to embarrass PSA. And IMO PSA deserves any embarrassment that comes there way for the recent gaffes that have come to light. How the heck does that "autograph" get authenticated? How does that Doyle card get slabbed??? Not once, but twice???

I don't necessarily agree with how Brian handled the situation, but I don't think PSA at this point deserves a chance to "Make things right". Mistakes happen, but this company has shown in the past that they do not own up to mistakes or you have to take them to court in order to make them pay for a "mistake". Let's not forget they also slapped a PSA 8 on the Gretzky Wagner...and well...we all know that card didn't come out of a cigarette pack.

PSA deserves no latitude at this point. They are a cancer on this hobby.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I give Brian a pass on this one, and perhaps PSA should also, as he is the one who paid for and received the apparently faulty opinion from PSA. However, from a practical and business perspective, if a customer tries to make a speculated/theoretical profit off a company's mistake, I could see why they might not be interested in examining more items for him.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

You left out the goodwin trimmed Plank.

Yes PSA is making too many mistakes, does not allow for this guy

to use a charity as a way to make some money.

If he was so sincere ALL the money from a sale of that card would have gone to MS

I'm on a kidney machine 3x a week and I'm not out there using my disability

as an excuse to make money.

wink.gif

Steve

Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Brian i will say this you have balls the size of cantaloupes. If i had MS never would i do what you did. Everytime i go to the racetrack there is a guy who is afflicted and he never asks for anything, he cleans the bathrooms and works harder than most of the people there. I buy him tickets all the time and never once have i heard him complain about his disease or say anything negative. He is highly spiritual and i asked him one time do think God approves of you working here and his reponse was "God does not mind because there are several Racetracks in heaven" I died laughing and i just love the guy.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I do not know Brian, and I don't read the CU board so his history is not known to me. Sounds like he does not have a good reputation. I do know PSA's reputation and I've made my comments. I don't normally unload my feelings about grading companies because I know many people here love them so I guess I've said enough.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

1. if anyone wants to buy the card for $4000, i will set up an ebay auction, and 100% of the proceeds will go to MS research... let me know

2. i have never used MS as a crutch, far from it.

so, come with the $4000 offers now..

Old 01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I agree with both what Dan and Steve said. What i do not understand is how are these mistakes continue to happen at PSA? The baseball card industry is a billion dollar playground and PSA is it's 1 grader and authenticator. There should be penalties for these mistakes. I know several owners of high end auction houses and if the hired help authenticates fake items they are terminated immediatly no questions asked. There is already to much corruption hence my original post on the matter.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Marshall I'm not sure that it is corruption I think it is
more like incompetence. I only use PSA/SGC to grade cards so I can sell them on Ebay.
I have few non sports card sets slabbed. The vast majority of my cards are raw.

I prefer to grade my cards myself. I don't need anyone to tell me what a card is.

Unfortunatly the people that buy from me do.

Are we at 40 yet?

Brian I said if someone was foolish enough.

Steve

Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

I understand your point Steve however when mistakes are made you never truly know what happened. If Bernie Madoff can scheme 50 Billion then anything is possible. In my opinion PSA should have graders at different levels. If a card has potential to be a 4,000 card or higher then only a elite grader should grade the card. If someone wants to send in a Joe Flacco Bowman Chrome rookie card then it's a whole different story. Also here is a known fact that we all know in the hobby- No one submits 1962 Topps Football cards to PSA and how come?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I'm sorry I asked.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

First of all if ... No anonymity in this thread. Make sure you are well known or your name is out here with a good email address....

Did I miss something or was Brian offered a refund by PSA and it was turned down? If there was one offered, it should have been taken and this should be a moot point...I am not making an excuse for PSA but my understanding is they offered to make Brian whole, no? regards

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

"1. if anyone wants to buy the card for $4000, i will set up an ebay auction, and 100% of the proceeds will go to MS research... let me know

2. i have never used MS as a crutch, far from it.

so, come with the $4000 offers now.."

Brian if I or anyone would wish to donate any $$$ to MS
they would take it directly, as opposed to you offering
a fake autographed card for a $4K lure of a donation.
By the way, my wife's a nurse who works in a MS facilty,
so I know about MS all too well.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Leon,

In one of Brian's first posts, on the original thread he mentioned he got it for $0.99 cents.

Later, he said PSA offered to compensate him.

Re: Scan 1939 Play Ball Frank Hayes PSA/DNA Goof! January 7 2009, 11:08 AM

not that i want to beat a dead horse, but besides PSA-DNA contacting me yesterday and offering $75 in cash or grading vouchers... They suspended my PSA message board account.. i guess they want to shut me up on that site.

Yep, they make the mistake.. i bring it to light, and the kick me off their site.. thanks PSA!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Administrator

PSA is in major ban mode now. They are going to keep on with the nonsense until someone presses the right button and calls the attorney general of Ca in regards to their business practice and grading system. To many people have been burned and if you look on the front cover of this month's SMR report that Mantle PSA 9 is so off center it isn't funny. I truly 100% believe if you cracked that Mantle out and walked it into a show it would grade a 8 and they would argue centering. Once again way to much variance in regards to grading and i will not even get into authenticating autographs.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Marshall,

I understand your frustration and I am certainly not defending PSA but look at the facts in this case.

A guy bought a card for 99 cents. PSA made a mistake and authenticated the signature. When it was pointed out, they offered him $75. He chose to go to war by setting up phony Ebay auctions and trashing them on several different sites (CU, here, and Ebay.) They banned him from their board and closed his account.

Why is anyone surprised?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

I agree with what your saying but my point is there are way to many cards sliding by and the grading has become ridiculous. Over the past three weeks i have seen several mistakes from Fro-Joy,T-206's to autographs and horrible grading. All i want from the company is to be consistent and i will say another thing in regards to PSA their customer reps are HORRIBLE! To me the two things a CEO must understand in the public eye is 1.Customer service 2.Damage control and if those two key ingredients are taken for granted watch what happens to the company. Here is a small but true case in point.

I sold a gentleman a third set of 24 American Beauties and because of how i was treated he is taking his cards to SGC. It does not sound like much but over time it adds up. By the way what should be banned is that Mantle on the front cover of the SMR i can't stand to even look at it.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Jim...how in the world does anyone authenticate that signature? I'm sorry the guy should be fired on the spot or take a long look at how these guys are trained and what experience do they have?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

LOL. That's last month's SMR. The new issue you get Manny being Manny. At least February is a short month!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator

"Jim...how in the world does anyone authenticate that signature? I'm sorry the guy should be fired on the spot or take a long look at how these guys are trained and what experience do they have?"

I agree. Maybe he was fired. I have no idea. But I do know that the owner questioned PSA. Waited less than 24 hours for a response. And then ran several fraudulent Ebay auctions just to embarrass PSA.

There is no excuse for missing that sig. There is no excuse for missing the Doyle we've been talking about. Same with the Fro-jos. (Since I'm not really into grading or registries, I don't find the Mantle as ugly as you do. I'd take it off someone's hands if they couldn't stand the sight of it. Email me for my shipping address!)

But that has nothing to do with Brian's campaign, launched before they could even respond.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Sorry Jim i stand corrected. To put Manny Ramirez on the front cover of a publication in itself speaks volumes about the company. Are they serious about collecting cards of the super slugger?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Jim you are correct. I don't agree with how Brian tried to hold the card over their heads.