NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM

Default Looking for some advise on my T206 collection

A short story. My brother and I were given a collection of baseball cards in the 1970s by a favorite uncle of our mother. It contains 32 T206 cards that had been glued to hardboard and framed. This is the only baseball collecting my brother and I had. The collection got misplaced in a box at my fathers house for 30 years and we rediscovered them when we were cleaning out the house after he passed. We are trying to figure out the value and possibly the best way to sell them. I have reached out to a paper conservator who has experience in removing the cards. One of the cards had become detached from the back.

The collection contains some hall of fame players including Joe Tinker and Johnny Evers and Bobby Wallace. All of the cards are brown Hindu backs.

I am including scans of the front and back of the Young card that is loose plus a couple of scans from the bottom row where the entire card is shown.
Ferris St Louis Amer.JPGHinchman Cleavland.JPGLumley Brooklyn.JPGMcGraw NY Ntls.JPG[ATTACH][ATTACH]Hindu Back.JPG[/ATTACH]

Looking to see if anyone can give us some insight into a couple of questions:
1. Should be have them removed from the cardboard (about $60-$75 per card)
2. Is it worth paying the fee for grading and how does that affect the value.
3. Looking for suggestions on who to reach out to if we want help selling them.

I would be happy to upload more information if you have questions.

Thanks all for your help, interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young Cleavland.JPG (25.5 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by rshuey01; 03-28-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:56 PM
David M.

My first thought was that you could also contact:

www.gonewiththestain.com

They are experienced in removing cards from scrapbooks and the like. They might be a cheaper alternative, but I'm not sure of their pricing. If they soak off nicely you could probably just contact an auction house and they will usually submit the cards for grading before selling them for you. Or you can submit them yourself to a grading company like SGC.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Joe M.

Use the search function on the net54 site. Search “soaking T206 cards”. Never tried it myself, but many have on this site have. You will get many suggestions, just be patient. I

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 03-28-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:06 PM

That’s a great looking group of Hindu’s…. From looking at the back of the Young card, it doesn’t appear a lot of adhesive was used, as it’s really clean except for the paper loss in one corner. That makes me think that you may be able to soak these off without any issue. I would need to see better pictures of the piece to determine, but would be happy to help.

Be well Brian
Old 03-28-2022, 02:14 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Hindu backs

Great looking cards. If they are all Hindu backs, I would pay the price to having them restored and graded.

If you do try soaking the cards, experiment with the common in the roughest shape, before trying the others. Soaking cards that were pasted on scrapbook paper is relatively simple if you are patient and follow the directions. When you say that the collection is glued to "hardboard" I am not sure that the glue will come off without paper loss.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 03-28-2022, 02:33 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
My first thought was that you could also contact:

www.gonewiththestain.com

They are experienced in removing cards from scrapbooks and the like. They might be a cheaper alternative, but I'm not sure of their pricing. If they soak off nicely you could probably just contact an auction house and they will usually submit the cards for grading before selling them for you. Or you can submit them yourself to a grading company like SGC.
Dick passed away. I am not so sure Adam (the son) is as good as Dick was.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:59 AM
Jimmy

Great looking cards - if you are to sell them be careful what you do with them, decide on if you want to keep them as is or get some help to remove the paper and the glue. When I get a group of cards - I use one to see if it could be possible to remove them from the paper. If that one shows no signs of coming off, leave them as is. The glue used was something stronger and may have been used later, even after the cards had been produced. The older the glue sometimes the better, really depends on the glue and paper used. Your cards will still demand good prices either way and grading may be hard to get done if you remove them or not - there will still be some signs of paper removed and will be low grades. In some cases, you may only get an "A" for authentic

Always reach out to us all on this board – if needed, prices should not be too hard to figure out either way

Good luck!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 03-29-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:53 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Hindu

T206 with Hindu backs are very valuable especially HOF players.
You should try to soak a common and see if you can remove without damage
If not;
I would pay the $50-$60 per card to get them removed without damage.
You will be able to sell them for a lot once they are removed.
FYI-The Cy Young is still very valuable even with the paper loss.

John P
Old 03-30-2022, 06:52 AM

Default Thanks for the insight and suggestions

Thanks all who read and replied the the thread. I knew my brother and I had something here but were drifting as to what to do. I think the next step is for us to decide how we want to sell them. I will post more information as we get to that point.

Tags
t206 collection