NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Mastro and Legendary owned their own auction software, so they probably thought they could hack it when the authorities came calling. This would be similar to a fraudulent business having two sets of books. In PWCC, these are in the hands of a third party (ebay). Regarding the T206 Wagner, Mastro probably thought he was in the clear once PSA authenticated the card as an 8.
You'd be wrong on all counts here. It's almost uncanny.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

With perhaps a few exceptions, I don't think any one auction, or the habits of any one bidder, are enough to draw conclusions. But when one sees patterns, auction after auction, month after month, year after year, bidder after bidder, one does get strongly suspicious. And Jesse, no worries.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-19-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
The tax authorities could easily use ebay in addition to paypal to come after a business. They wouldn't have to "prove" anything. They would just tell the business that your numbers don't match what ebay or paypal are reporting, and you need to explain that to us. If you can't give a proper justification, then you'd better look into hiring a good lawyer. Sure, ebay does not give those 1099's to individual sellers, but I'm sure if the authorities asked ebay for the information, they could get it easily. For every item you sell on ebay, you set up the tax table in ebay, so that item is readily available and stored in their system if the item is won by an in-state bidder. As the seller, you are responsible for getting the proper forms completed by the buyer if they claim they are a reseller. If you are audited, these would be what you need to show the tax authorities to justify why sales tax was removed.
I agree that tax authorities would certainly use paypal records to verify tax compliance, but not ebay records. I have been selling on ebay for years, and NEVER have the "sales" numbers provided by ebay ever been remotely close to the actual numbers derived from my paypal tax forms that have been forwarded to my accountant each year. Please explain EXACTLY how ebay can confirm IF a transaction was actually completed or not? Ebay can't, bottom line.

As an example, I had a lower priced item returned back to me recently. Ebay, due to some system glitch, would not allow me to request a FVF credit or provide a refund through their system because the buyer opened and then closed a return request before the item arrived back. I simply wrote off the very small FVF credit and refunded the buyer through paypal. This item is still marked as paid with ebay, however, I refunded the buyer. I clearly would not rely on ebay in this situation if I was faced with a tax auditor as the sale would still be showing as "completed". I would however, show the auditor my PP refund(which is linked to the original transaction).

What matters to auditors in regards to an ebay business is the paper trail that is created in either paypal or a bank account that shows an actual payment received thus creating a taxable "transaction", as I am pretty sure that no state is not going to impose a tax on a "commitment to buy" made through ebay that may not ever be paid for. I also highly doubt that an auditor is going to waste their time pouring over ebay records of commitments to buy, but instead they will review actual payment transactions made through paypal and deposits into bank accounts.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I agree that tax authorities would certainly use paypal records to verify tax compliance, but not ebay records. I have been selling on ebay for years, and NEVER have the "sales" numbers provided by ebay ever been remotely close to the actual numbers derived from my paypal tax forms that have been forwarded to my accountant each year. Please explain EXACTLY how ebay can confirm IF a transaction was actually completed or not? Ebay can't, bottom line.

As an example, I had a lower priced item returned back to me recently. Ebay, due to some system glitch, would not allow me to request a FVF credit or provide a refund through their system because the buyer opened and then closed a return request before the item arrived back. I simply wrote off the very small FVF credit and refunded the buyer through paypal. This item is still marked as paid with ebay, however, I refunded the buyer. I clearly would not rely on ebay in this situation if I was faced with a tax auditor as the sale would still be showing as "completed". I would however, show the auditor my PP refund(which is linked to the original transaction).

What matters to auditors in regards to an ebay business is the paper trail that is created in either paypal or a bank account that shows an actual payment received thus creating a taxable "transaction", as I am pretty sure that no state is not going to impose a tax on a "commitment to buy" made through ebay that may not ever be paid for. I also highly doubt that an auditor is going to waste their time pouring over ebay records of commitments to buy, but instead they will review actual payment transactions made through paypal and deposits into bank accounts.
It's reconciliation. Paypal and your bank accounts can have multiple types of payments going into those accounts. Not all of them may be related to your business. It could be friends paying you for their share of a dinner expense. How do you determine which payments into your accounts are personal and which are for your business? Or you may receive your regular paycheck deposited into your bank account. How do you handle this? You reconcile your paypal and bank account transactions with your ebay transactions. In addition, your ebay fees are still a business expense when you are working on your federal and state taxes, so you still need to loop back to your ebay documentation if you are audited for income tax purposes. Your monthly account statement from ebay with your fees also has your sales figures so you can use this in conjunction with your paypal statements.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
It's reconciliation. Paypal and your bank accounts can have multiple types of payments going into those accounts. Not all of them may be related to your business. It could be friends paying you for their share of a dinner expense. How do you determine which payments into your accounts are personal and which are for your business? Or you may receive your regular paycheck deposited into your bank account. How do you handle this? You reconcile your paypal and bank account transactions with your ebay transactions. In addition, your ebay fees are still a business expense when you are working on your federal and state taxes, so you still need to loop back to your ebay documentation if you are audited for income tax purposes. Your monthly account statement from ebay with your fees also has your sales figures so you can use this in conjunction with your paypal statements.
Wow, I would think it foolish if an ebay seller(who receives a 1099 from PP) put themselves in a position of not utilizing both a separate bank account and paypal account that is only used for their ebay selling and is not used for personal type transactions.....I certainly use separate accounts. This makes it VERY easy to differentiate any ebay business transactions from any personal income transactions.

As far as outgoing payments, I use one credit card for all expenses, such as inventory, supplies or paying bills like my ebay (fees) bill. Since I keep all outgoing payments for ebay only expenses on one account, it is quite easy to forward these expenses at year end to my accountant for accurate tax preparation purposes.