NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Yeah, and there are 524 cards in the T206 set. End of discussion.

(This is a discussion forum).

Exactly! (as opposed to a p*ss and moan forum)

My only point was around a number of previous 'assumptions' as to why people say the things they do. "I'll just keep it" could mean anything from a very polite "No thanks" to a not quite as polite "F*ck off!"

And the entire OP that spawned this was based on 'assumptions'. But there was also the "let the arguments begin" ending, which may have been the entire purpose all along. (again, another assumption)

Edit: To clarify, I totally understand the need to vent though, which is what this thread basically seems to be.

Last edited by tschock; 11-07-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Venting
Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Exactly! (as opposed to a p*ss and moan forum)
I've found that often when someone disagrees with me, I am "pissing and moaning". If they agree with me, I am an enlightened cardboard expert. "Discussion" involves both sides, so I think it's fine for you to "piss and moan" about the OP.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My favorite story of not going by someone else's rules is my mom grew up in a fishing village populated with salty fishermen and one of the old fishermen was filling out his taxes. The tax form had a box that said at top 'Do not write in this space,' and he wrote in it "I'll write wherever I damn well please!"

Last edited by drcy; 11-07-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Alex

Can't we all just get along.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Can't we all just get along.

no! apparently not...

however, this thread isn't nearly as bad as i have seen in the past...it bugged me enough to stay away for a bit. it's been good of late
Old 11-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

I don't see anything wrong with the thread. The OP whined a little and a few people told him he shouldn't. It happens all the time.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Alex

When it comes to wheeling and dealing I have encountered many approaches. Some more effective than others. The single trait that permeated all of the ones that worked for, and against, me was respect. Maybe it's just me but I find that things go more smoothly (and the price is usually more favorable) if I treat the opposing party with respect and give him the basic assumption that he knows his stuff. Likewise I expect people to give the same assumption to me.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-07-2014, 03:35 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I've found that often when someone disagrees with me, I am "pissing and moaning". If they agree with me, I am an enlightened cardboard expert. "Discussion" involves both sides, so I think it's fine for you to "piss and moan" about the OP.
Not sure how anything I've said was disagreeing with you. I wasn't, or at least that wasn't the intent. I was simply trying to clarify my point. The piss and moan comment wasn't directed at you. It was a comment at the general tone of this thread. My apologies if you took it that way.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Not sure how anything I've said was disagreeing with you. I wasn't, or at least that wasn't the intent. I was simply trying to clarify my point. The piss and moan comment wasn't directed at you. It was a comment at the general tone of this thread. My apologies if you took it that way.
I wasn't talking about you - it was a general comment about people who are accused of "pissing and moaning" and why I think that happens. And I totally understand who your comment was directed at - I didn't take it as directed at me, nor did I indicate that I did, but perhaps the straw man you've built did.

I think you've accomplished what you intended to. I bit. I'm sorry I did. I'll put your hook and worm back in the water now, and let someone else go after it.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
What do you think about when someone has a card and is not interested in selling it and another member asks about it but gets no response? I've had this happen a few times, where I knew another member had a card I was looking for. I sent a message asking if they were interested in selling it and they just ignored my query. No response at all. But they keep posting comments on other threads so I know they're around. Seems kind of inconsiderate.
Could be any of a number of things:

--Rudeness. If you are being ignored by another member.
--Missed email. I get a hundred 'legit' spams a day [not counting the offers for fake rolexes and penis pills] from several AH's, TPG's and eBay. I often miss stuff.
--Read and forgot. This happens to me sometimes when I check a PM here on the fly but don't have the chance to respond. It then doesn't 'ping' me when I sign back in.
--Rubbed me the wrong way. Rare, but happens sometimes when a person just can't help but be obnoxious.

So, was the offender me?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Personally I find it fascinating that what seemed to me to be a rhetorical question has already gotten 50+ responses.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

--Read and forgot. This happens to me sometimes when I check a PM here on the fly but don't have the chance to respond. It then doesn't 'ping' me when I sign back in.

So, was the offender me?
Yeah, that's me too. I've had a guy email me about a T210 a couple times and I forgot to respond both times. I'm not sure he's on here, since it's regular email and he saw it on SGC. And once something is a few hundred emails back I usually don't go looking for it unless it's really important - to me.

Steve B
Old 11-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

To me that's really cool.

My mother is also pretty tough to deal with at yard sales or flea markets. One time I got back from shopping the flea market and she told me to go shop some more. when I asked why she mentioned the card vultures who were hovering at the end of the row waiting for me to leave. They figured on taking advantage of the old lady while I was gone. Bad bad choice. I had stuff marked at catalog price, and had given her the list of the 3-4 cards I wouldn't take less for. The rest I said she could sell for whatever she could get. Which turned out to be around 90% of high Beckett. I almost felt bad.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

7) If you are rude to my mother or other customers at her garage sale, she will refuse to sell you anything at any price. She'll throw the stuff away before she sells to you. It has nothing to do with money or market value. At that point, trying to make those arguments with her is pointless. And before you try and be tricky and lowball her, realize that my mother is always this far (my index finger 1/4th inch in front of thumb) from giving the stuff to charity, so if sellers are rude or unreasonable or offers are low she will give the stuff away to charity. Often times she's having the garage sale to raise money for a charity.

And I can promise you that if you say to my mom "You have to sell it at market value," she will say "I don't have to do anything. It's mine."

My dad had a colleague who once asked him in the hallway if he was going to that afternoon's departmental meeting and my dad said he wasn't. The colleague asked why not and my dad said "Because I don't want to." The uptight follow rules and order colleague couldn't even fathom that as a reason for not going. "Not wanting to" as a reason fell outside his logic system. This story comes to mind when people state 'written in stone' rules such as "You have to sell at market price. That's the rule." My dad would respond "There are options other than selling at market price. One is to go to lunch. Another is to take a nap."
Old 11-07-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
I disagree, that has nothing to so with its worth.
Sure it does. If a seller would rather have his card than what you offer, the card is worth more than what you offer. Why does an exchange have to take place to determine a card's worth? You say a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay, well what if its current owner is willing to pay more for the card than anyone else (not sell it at your low offer)?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Sure it does. If a seller would rather have his card than what you offer, the card is worth more than what you offer. Why does an exchange have to take place to determine a card's worth? You say a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay, well what if its current owner is willing to pay more for the card than anyone else (not sell it at your low offer)?
+1. It is called replacement costs. If the seller would have a hard time rebuying the card for what it sold for, then the low offer IS NOT the market value. It is just someone making a low offer and hoping the seller will sell.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Alex

I posted a link to the endowment effect. This seems on point.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 11-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

--Rudeness. If you are being ignored by another member.
--Missed email. I get a hundred 'legit' spams a day [not counting the offers for fake rolexes and penis pills] from several AH's, TPG's and eBay. I often miss stuff.
--Rubbed me the wrong way. Rare, but happens sometimes when a person just can't help but be obnoxious.

So, was the offender me?
I don't think it was you. I don't remember who it was. I've had it happen a few times.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default funny all the extra conditons you place

you assume the buyer is rude and asking for market price...or is trying to get an item from a personal collection..or seller has to sell at market price..i never asked any of those things...

i just talking about the scenerio where a seller is ACTIVELY trying to sell a card..and is upset with an offer from a buyer.....i just dont think the seller can be upset when the buyer is offering market value...if the buyer has the highest offer out there for the period of time that an item typically sells for...and the seller says he will just keep it....im fine with that..

the.seller can do what he wants with the card but he cant argue that the buyer did not offer market value or at the very least , made an offer that you cant consider a 'low ball' when its the highest 'market value' the seller has received and that its not like the seller has an alternative to sell it for more so only responds 'ill just keep it'.

thus i would argue that seller wasnt planning to sell at the going market price..maybe the seller made a mistake as to what the perceived market price....but it is what it is...'ill just keep it' means not willing to sell at market price....
Old 11-13-2014, 11:19 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

A seller may be ACTIVELY trying to sell a card, but it does not mean it's a firesale where he HAS to sell it. Therefore, if he thinks the buyer is still trying to lowball him and the seller believes he can get a better price elsewhere, he'll just do that, and tell the buyer accordingly. It's like the ebay Global Selling Program. Sure, sellers can probably sell more of their stuff if they sold overseas and to Canada. That means more money, and what they should do if they want sell their stuff, right? However, a lot of sellers simply don't want to deal with the hassle and pain that may come with a troubled sale. It's the same thing with sale negotiations. If a seller thinks that this sale is more trouble than it's worth, they'll just say forget it. My time is worth more than this.

And again the seller and buyer may have very real differences in what perceived market value is for an item. A buyer may look at the last sale in that grade. However, the seller may think that listing was listed poorly, the card had poor eye appeal for the grade, etc. There are many different factors involved. In the end, when the seller says to the buyer that he'll just keep the card, he may in essence be telling the buyer, go try to find this card in this condition for the price you are looking for. It's not going to be as easy as you think. At that point, the buyer needs to consider whether it's better to just take his money elsewhere or if the seller does have a point there.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
you assume the buyer is rude and asking for market price...or is trying to get an item from a personal collection..or seller has to sell at market price..i never asked any of those things...

i just talking about the scenerio where a seller is ACTIVELY trying to sell a card..and is upset with an offer from a buyer.....i just dont think the seller can be upset when the buyer is offering market value...if the buyer has the highest offer out there for the period of time that an item typically sells for...and the seller says he will just keep it....im fine with that..

the.seller can do what he wants with the card but he cant argue that the buyer did not offer market value or at the very least , made an offer that you cant consider a 'low ball' when its the highest 'market value' the seller has received and that its not like the seller has an alternative to sell it for more so only responds 'ill just keep it'.

thus i would argue that seller wasnt planning to sell at the going market price..maybe the seller made a mistake as to what the perceived market price....but it is what it is...'ill just keep it' means not willing to sell at market price....
Your conclusion that market price = your price has already been amply discussed elsewhere in this thread and doesn't need a rehash. This latest post, however, assumes a great deal about the seller's mindset and other dealings with other buyers, and is suspect as a result. Remember, when you assume something about me you are likely to make an "ass" out of both "u" and "me".

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-13-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Dude, she doesn't love you any more. Deal with it and move on.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Nice one Lance.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk