NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Bry@n

Default T205 Piedmont 42 - Update?

I have one T206 Piedmont 42 (Ames) and know how tough they are. I was curious about Piedmont 42 in T205 and read a bunch of old threads that showed that people's idea of how tough this back is in T205 has been changing over the past few years.

Can anyone give me the current lay of the land on this? How tough is this back in T205 and does it bring any premium?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jobu; 06-13-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2015, 01:28 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

If you mean for the specific player, Ames, it isn't a confirmed back.

The back in general is tougher but premiums come and go on tougher back t205. A lot of the time I have seen no premium given or very minimal at best.

Drum, Hindu, and Broadleaf seem to be the only backs to bring consistent high premiums.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Bry@n

Thanks Andy. The Ames is a T206 and is confirmed for that set. My question was about Piedmont 42 in T205, a set that I really don't know much about.

Does anyone have a confirmed list for this back in T205?

The best info that I found is from a LOTG write up (part of which follows):

According to an extensive study conducted by T205 scholars Joshua Levine and Shawn Adkins and published in SGC Collector magazine, the Piedmont Factory 42 reverse is ranked #4 in overall scarcity, behind only the impossibly rare Drum, Hindu and Broadleaf back ads. The two conducted an exhaustive census of T205 cards and concluded that the Factory 42 reverse accounted for less than 1% of all T205 cards with more than 20,000 individual cards counted.

For collectors concerned with back variety, the Piedmont Factory 42 back is a true rarity, perhaps the equivalent of a Carolina Brights or Broadleaf 350 reverse within the T206 issue.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default T205

Check out T-205 Resource at t205resource.com

Good checklist although not totally updated but a very good starting point.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Bry@n

Thanks Adam, the list there is nice and I didn't realize it existed.

So it more or less seems that Piedmont 42 T205s are really rare backs that usually don't bring much, if any, premium?
Old 06-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Cory

IMO the Piedmont 42s are tougher to find but not very difficult. I think they are about as common as American beauty or Cycle.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Bry@n

In 2012, Joshua (Wite3) posted the following ranking of back scarcity - is this still accepted? Are the backs here ranked within tiers as well?

Thanks to the T205 experts for answering my questions, hopefully others are benefitting from this conversation.

Extremely Scarce

Blank Back
Hindu
Drum

Scarce

Broadleaf greenish
Broadleaf black
American Beauty black
American Beauty green
Piedmont Fact. 42
Cycle

Slightly Rare

Hassan Fact. 30
Sovereign
Honest Long Cut

Common

Hassan Fact. 649
Sweet Cap. black fact. 42
Sweet Cap. black fact. 25
Sweet Cap. red
Polar Bear
Piedmont fact. 25
Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

That list is semi accurate. A large group of us T205 guys made a list of confirmed backs a few yrs ago. That list really brings to light rarities. Nothing beats knowledge though. I have noticed many of us hardcore T205 guys don't post up info anymore.

To answer your question yes Pied 42's are tough and they do command a premium. All that I have sold and seen sell over the past few yes have commanded a noticeable premium unless they flew under the radar. AB green are more scarce than black, Cycles are not scarce they are being horded by a few guys. Trust me I owned a lot of them at once and they were still very available at that time when I sold them all off. I reall had a lot of them btw.

Member since 2009
Old 06-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Al

Piedmont Factory 42s are TOUGH. I was fortunate enough to have been the publisher of Collector magazine, so at the time (the Spring of 2007) I had access to the raw data that Joshua Levine put together, as well as the article written by Shawn Adkins. It was a pretty massive undertaking; more than 20,000 backs had been catalogued at that point, and I know that Joshua continued long after the article was published.

Anyway, at the time, the breakdown of backs by percentage in their database looked like this:

Piedmont Factory 25: 37.25%
Polar Bear: 12.06%
Honest Long Cut: 8.8%
Sovereign: 8.45%
Sweet Cap Factory 42 (red): 7.44%
Hassan Factory 649: 6.84%
Hassan Factory 30: 4.95%
Sweet Cap Factory 25 (black): 4.22%
Sweet Cap Factory 42 (black): 4.15%
Cycle: 2.78%
Piedmont Factory 42: .96%
American Beauty (Green): .77%
American Beauty (Black): .69%
Broadleaf (green): .19%
Hindu: .17%
Broadleaf (black): .14%
Drum: .14%

The things that struck me about this breakdown were the plentiful nature of the Polar Bear and Sovereign backs, especially in comparison with T206, as well as the scarcity of the American Beauty backs.

Anyway, I'm sure that over time some of these numbers have changed a bit; I understand that the population of AB Greens have increased with some finds, and that the population of Cycles may be off because a couple of guys with big collections of them weren't part of this project, but I think with this list you can get an idea of how most of these backs relate to one another in terms of overall scarcity, and can see that the Piedmont 42s are not given the credit they deserve.

-Al
Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Paul Herbener

I've been starting to collect the Factory 42's over the past few months. I enjoy the scavenger hunt nature in the e-bay listings looking for a stray unrecognized 42. I've picked up about 10 of them including a Matty, Tinker, Chance and Bender. They are few and far between.

Paul
Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Bry@n

Thanks guys. Al, that list is extremely helpful and is what I was hoping to see here, thank you for posting it.

I find it interesting how big a difference the back makes in T206 and many other sets while seeming to be less important in T205. I guess perhaps the impact of the ad back is proportional to the size of the ad and therefore the smaller ads on T205 make people care about them a little less?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Jerry

Default Scarcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Piedmont Factory 42s are TOUGH. I was fortunate enough to have been the publisher of Collector magazine, so at the time (the Spring of 2007) I had access to the raw data that Joshua Levine put together, as well as the article written by Shawn Adkins. It was a pretty massive undertaking; more than 20,000 backs had been catalogued at that point, and I know that Joshua continued long after the article was published.

Anyway, at the time, the breakdown of backs by percentage in their database looked like this:

Piedmont Factory 25: 37.25%
Polar Bear: 12.06%
Honest Long Cut: 8.8%
Sovereign: 8.45%
Sweet Cap Factory 42 (red): 7.44%
Hassan Factory 649: 6.84%
Hassan Factory 30: 4.95%
Sweet Cap Factory 25 (black): 4.22%
Sweet Cap Factory 42 (black): 4.15%
Cycle: 2.78%
Piedmont Factory 42: .96%
American Beauty (Green): .77%
American Beauty (Black): .69%
Broadleaf (green): .19%
Hindu: .17%
Broadleaf (black): .14%
Drum: .14%

The things that struck me about this breakdown were the plentiful nature of the Polar Bear and Sovereign backs, especially in comparison with T206, as well as the scarcity of the American Beauty backs.

Anyway, I'm sure that over time some of these numbers have changed a bit; I understand that the population of AB Greens have increased with some finds, and that the population of Cycles may be off because a couple of guys with big collections of them weren't part of this project, but I think with this list you can get an idea of how most of these backs relate to one another in terms of overall scarcity, and can see that the Piedmont 42s are not given the credit they deserve.

-Al
Hmmm ... if these percentages are still accurate ... I'm twice as likely to see a T205 Sovereign and Honest Long Cut back than a Sweet Cap.Black back. Is that correct? I was never very good at math :-)