NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2019, 07:04 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Are you always looking for HOFers?

I guess this assumes you are not a set builder. When you guys are buying and navigating through all the different prewar sets, is your aim usually fixed on acquiring a HOFer from a given set, or are you just as focused on getting a HOFer when you can and aiming at various backs and variations of various sets even if they aren't HOFers? I am about to turn 46 and am really just getting into prewar after collecting other eras, and I just feel behind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not sure it answers your question, but for prewar, there are certain HOFers I collect, and for them, I buy the cards I like the most regardless of the set. Now as it works out they're frequently from the popular sets, but that's really a secondary consideration.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks, Peter. I asked a clumsy question. You are getting at part of what I am wondering and considering. There are soooooo many E sets that I like, but there are only a few players that I feel like I have to have. In prewar, I want to make sure I have a few Cobbs in my collection, along with a Wagner or two. Beyond that, I look at Mathewson, Young, Lajoie, and Walter Johnson. In time, I would like to obtain at least a couple of cards of each of those players. It's just funny how it works out. I like some sets, but of the players I mentioned, I don't like all of their cards in all sets. For example, I like E95, and I like Mathewson, but I don't especially care for the E95 Mathewson.

I suppose that's what my Chase thread is about. As much as I would love to buy a card from the above list, to get quantity and to be able to play with backs found in various issues a little, I am not going to be able to do that with HOFers. Just wondering if others made similar decisions.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-06-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default HOF = yes

Yes I am a HOF collector.

I do sets as well, but I try to focus my sets on those that have high percentages of HOF cards. I won’t start sets like T206 partly for that reason.

I started a Type Card Collection years ago, just getting any player.
Then I started collecting a “playing years” HOF Collection.
Those were exclusive until I sorta merged them to be getting a HOF in each type card that I can.

So now my primary collection is HOFERS in as many unique sets as I can get them. Prewar primarily. Finding a HOFer in a non-mainstream set is my favorite!
(See my SGC link below)

You may find that what you start as your collecting focus may change frequently through the years. It’s a great hobby. Collect what ever makes you happy and don’t feel bound if that changes sometimes!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes, as an eclectic type card collector HOf'ers are usually the first choice. But the best advice would be to collect what you enjoy. That way no matter the financial situation you are enjoying your hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I guess this assumes you are not a set builder. When you guys are buying and navigating through all the different prewar sets, is your aim usually fixed on acquiring a HOFer from a given set, or are you just as focused on getting a HOFer when you can and aiming at various backs and variations of various sets even if they aren't HOFers? I am about to turn 46 and am really just getting into prewar after collecting other eras, and I just feel behind.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:49 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, as an eclectic type card collector HOf'ers are usually the first choice. But the best advice would be to collect what you enjoy. That way no matter the financial situation you are enjoying your hobby.
I hear ya, Leon. That's pretty much my approach. I picked up a Mathewson from a guy just yesterday. You might know him...

Old 05-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Generally I'm more interested in the card type than the player. To the extent that I am interested in some players more than others I would say I focus on underrated players, some of whom are in the Hall.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:54 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Generally I'm more interested in the card type than the player. To the extent that I am interested in some players more than others I would say I focus on underrated players, some of whom are in the Hall.
Thanks for that point. This was part of what I was trying to say. You summed it up very well. I pick up selected HOFers when I can. However, I find myself interested in different card types and guys like Hal Chase. He pops up in a lot of issues and isn't as pricey as a HOFer. I envision being able to pick up examples of quite a few sets and backs this way.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I enjoy a good story or finding out new things and often with some of the lesser known players/teams/leagues I can find out new things that keep me interested. I would rather have a card of a new player that I didn’t know of before than my 10th Chick Hafey card.

There is no wrong way to do it, HOFers will always be more popular, the price disparity between a common and a HOF player in a given set has only gotten more extreme over the past 30 years. Back a long time ago there was always a premium for a HOF, but maybe only a 25% boost, now the conventional wisdom is a “common HOFer” will be minimum 2-4x the value of a common.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 05-08-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:37 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have found it best to start with HOFers. There are occasions it doesn't work out, then you get the most interesting player you can find...somebody like Greasy Neale. The good thing about going in that direction is if you decide to go for the set, you immediately have some good pieces to plug in. If you get dupes, they are easy to trade or sell. While not vintage, I recently had a chance to buy the bulk of a 1955 set. I already had the Koufax and the Clemente and contacted the seller about what he would take less the two key rookies. He gave me a healthy discount as he knew he could sell them pretty immediately, I got a great buy on my (now complete) set and it worked out for everyone.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:37 AM

For me, good or reasonable deals on unique or rare issues of any HOFer for me that I can afford (I want to have one of each eventually, but the 19th century stuff is darn near impossible). That sometimes means less "popular" issues or quality that is a little lower than some of the big boys here, but I am happy w/ it. If I see something that I haven't seen before and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I try to get it and squirrel it away.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Everyone's collections are different and every collector has vast preferences to how and what they collect. For this reason, dont worry about being behind. Collecting is not a race -go at your own pace and enjoy it.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sounds a little like type card collecting. Still my fave way to do it. And if they are rare enough I will gladly take commons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddW. View Post
For me, good or reasonable deals on unique or rare issues of any HOFer for me that I can afford (I want to have one of each eventually, but the 19th century stuff is darn near impossible). That sometimes means less "popular" issues or quality that is a little lower than some of the big boys here, but I am happy w/ it. If I see something that I haven't seen before and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I try to get it and squirrel it away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw575leadershotx2.jpg (74.9 KB, 56 views)