NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 09-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Robert Williams

Talking Retracted a .99 cent bid?? WTF?!?!?!

Had a bidder retract a .99 cent bid and used 'entered wrong amount' as an excuse (the opening bid was .99 cent)....how much did you mean to enter????? SMDH
Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Thats funny, did he bid again..

by they way i dont think all bid retractions are equal. Like that one i wouldnt care about if he was bidding on one of my auctions

Plus, if you do 'make an offer'. theres usually a 2 or 3 day wait period for the seller to reject or counter....for example if you win a card in an auction the next day so no longer want the card where did a 'make an offer' and the seller still hasnt responded in 24 hours in this example i see no problem with that person retracting their offer..

i think that retraction in the above example also counts towards the number of 'bids retracted'

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-19-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Thats funny, did he bid again..

by they way i dont think all bid retractions are equal. Like that one i wouldnt care about if he was bidding on one of my auctions

Plus, if you do 'make an offer'. theres usually a 2 or 3 day wait period for the seller to reject or counter....for example if you win a card in an auction the next day so no longer want the card where did a 'make an offer' and the seller still hasnt responded in 24 hours in this example i see no problem with that person retracting their offer..

i think that retraction in the above example also counts towards the number of 'bids retracted'
it did...he's at 34 for the year. He retracted the .99 cent opener. No, he did not rebid.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
it did...he's at 34 for the year. He retracted the .99 cent opener. No, he did not rebid.

He's racking them up on purpose then....and some people still seem to believe that's not a thing.

Always the possibility he bids again near the end so other bidders can see he's already had a retraction in this auction and scares other bidders away.

Is it a cheaper item, or possibly a more expensive item in the end?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
He's racking them up on purpose then....and some people still seem to believe that's not a thing.

Always the possibility he bids again near the end so other bidders can see he's already had a retraction in this auction and scares other bidders away.

Is it a cheaper item, or possibly a more expensive item in the end?
No...its a crappy Roger Clemens rookie card in an SGC 5. It cost more to get graded than what the auction will bring.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
No...its a crappy Roger Clemens rookie card in an SGC 5. It cost more to get graded than what the auction will bring.

Hmmm, probably just racking them up for later use then. Bidding on items nobody cares about. Similar to our guy who bids and retracts on Ice Cream collectibles.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Could be, but some crazy stuff happens on Ebay because it's so accessible.

The guy who owns the bike shop I work at on occasion came in a couple times with bikes that either weren't in good shape, or weren't things he usually wanted. When I teased him about one, he said it was the result of "drunk bidding at 3 AM" Basically was on ebay after drinking, saw that bike and threw a nonsense bid on it. He didn't notice it ended about an hour later, and woke up to find he'd won it.

And when I was selling I had a bunch of $1 cards sell to the same buyer. After I think 3 days I sent a gentle reminder email. A couple days go by and I get a reply. Supposedly from the buyers girlfriend. Apparently he wasn't entirely clear about how it worked and bid on close to 1500 items, all in the $1-2 range. And won just over 1000 of them. She said his take home income was around $250 a week, and that he intended to pay for everything but it would take some time. I said to just pay whenever, the total was maybe $6 and if I was desperate for that little I was pretty much SOL myself. Oddly the check came in about a week and a half. I've always supposed they paid the more relaxed sellers first.

All in all, Ebay is really weird at times.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 09-20-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

I received my first negative in 17 years from a guy who didn't like my shipping charge for a .99 card. I was clear as day about my shipping cost on the auction. I explained to him in a professional manner that if he doesn't like the shipping cost don't bid on the item and I was reporting him to fleabay. Here was his response:

New message from: jamecarmichae_6 (13)

"LETS FACE IT! YOUR NOTHING BUT A DAMN CROOK. I COULD MAIL THAT CARD TO RUSSIA FOR $2.10. EAT YOUR PRODUCT FROM NOW ON !"

My name is Sc0tt Sp@id and I approve this post.

Last edited by spaidly; 11-21-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
I received my first negative in 17 years from a guy who didn't like my shipping charge for a .99 card. I was clear as day about my shipping cost on the auction. I explained to him in a professional manner that if he doesn't like the shipping cost don't bid on the item and I was reporting him to fleabay. Here was his response:

New message from: jamecarmichae_6 (13)

"LETS FACE IT! YOUR NOTHING BUT A DAMN CROOK. I COULD MAIL THAT CARD TO RUSSIA FOR $2.10. EAT YOUR PRODUCT FROM NOW ON !"

My name is Scott Spaid and I approve this post.

LOL, You could mail that card to Russia for $2.10, but Ebay expects you to upload tracking information otherwise you get a defect on your record.

If you have any kind of cardboard backing to protect the card, with tracking you are looking at anywhere from $10.90 and $12.90, depending on your shipping discounts.

Costs a minimum of $2.60, not including supplies if you are using and kind of tracking and a cardboard backing in the U.S..

That doesn't even take into account that the combination of Ebay/Paypal will also take about 13-14% of that shipping charge and put it into their own coffers.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Robert Williams

To ship to Russia the way PayPal/Ebay requires you to ship is around $20-$25. That person who said $2.10 is a fool and obviously hasn't set foot in a post office his entire life.