NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Travis Bid.ner

Default Cracked my 1st cards out....

I have recently decided to start a t206 stlouis cardinals raw team set in a binder. A couple of the cards I bought graded 1 psa and 1 SGC to crack out. This was my first attempt at cracking out graded cards. The psa was kinda tough to crack out. I tried a screwdriver with no luck. Had to start it with a knife then screwdriver. Part of the slab cracked and besides the crack there is evidence of it being opened up.

The SGC slab was a differant story! It came apart with ease and goes back together with no evidence of being tampered with. Makes me wonder if any cards have been switched out to fraud people of there money. Anyone else have the same results?

Last edited by tab; 03-23-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added t206
Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Rob G.

Congrats Travis!

However, on the SGC slab, if you were to put the two pieces of plastic back together, you'd notice it was frosted, instead of the original clear, indicating the slab has been opened.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM

I'll make a video some time.

Take pliers and crack the top right corner of the slab about 3/4 of an inch in. Take a flathead screwdriver and shove it into the flip leveraging up as you go to the opposite (horizontal) end of the slab. This will pop up most of the gaskets and let you lift the card open with your hand rather easily. Slightly modified for SGC, new PSA, and BGS slabs.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
I have recently decided to start a stlouis cardinals raw set in a binder. A couple of the cards I bought graded 1 psa and 1 SGC to crack out. This was my first attempt at cracking out graded cards. The psa was kinda tough to crack out. I tried a screwdriver with no luck. Had to start it with a knife then screwdriver. Part of the slab cracked and besides the crack there is evidence of it being opened up.

The SGC slab was a differant story! It came apart with ease and goes back together with no evidence of being tampered with. Makes me wonder if any cards have been switched out to fraud people of there money. Anyone else have the same results?
With a little practice both PSA and SGC slabs can be cracked open and resealed with little to no evidence. It is why I never buy graded cards. To me it is much easier to hide a altered card in a slab than raw.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Travis Bid.ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Congrats Travis!

However, on the SGC slab, if you were to put the two pieces of plastic back together, you'd notice it was frosted, instead of the original clear, indicating the slab has been opened.

I guess I didn't look that closely. I'll have to check for frosting.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Dave Foster

PSA slabs are a breeze to crack . . . unless you are using a Phillips SD or a fat flat head. You need about a 4" long FH SD with a square end about 1/8" wide. Just hit the seam at the top corner and gradually work it along the top edge. Wear gloves, in case the blade slips and you stab your hand. No problemo!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Travis Bid.ner

After looking closer at the cracked SGC slab I put back together I can see a little evidence of it being opened. Mainly down one side the seem has what looks like bubbles where it was cracked. About the best way to describe it. Guess I need to inspect the rest of my SGC graded cards better.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Zach

PSA and SGC are a breeze to crack. Now those GAI holders are a different animal. I usually have to use pliers and crack all the way around to break them open.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
With a little practice both PSA and SGC slabs can be cracked open and resealed with little to no evidence. It is why I never buy graded cards. To me it is much easier to hide a altered card in a slab than raw.
Travis, the more you crack, the better you get at doing it which seems to result in some sharp sgc cases...I just shatter the psa cases, but I reuse the sgc cases for my displays and I have had several w/o evidence of tampering after I did my deed.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

All methods listed above seem to work well.

I find the easiest method is to take the case (PSA or SGC) into the garage (concrete floor), have my son hold it upright in the middle by the left and right sides, and then gently use a hammer and butter knife to split the case open from the top. Once you get the blade in, you can just apply a little leverage and it will usually snap right open (or at least enough to extract the card).

It also has the added benefit of keeping the holder intact in case you decide to sell the raw card down the line. You can include the holder when you sell as proof of its former grade...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Pete Sycks

Old PSA cases are a breeze, not the new ones

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 AM
Brendan Mullen

I find the easiest method is to take the case (PSA or SGC) into the garage (concrete floor), have my son hold it upright in the middle by the left and right sides, and then gently use a hammer and butter knife to split the case open from the top. Once you get the blade in, you can just apply a little leverage and it will usually snap right open (or at least enough to extract the card).

It also has the added benefit of keeping the holder intact in case you decide to sell the raw card down the line. You can include the holder when you sell as proof of its former grade...

100% agree. It's exactly what I do. Start to finish takes under 10 seconds.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
All methods listed above seem to work well.

If you forget the PSA slab, this sounds like a neurosurgical procedure........

Hold you son upright in the garage and split him open from the top with a hammer and a butter knife.......

Or child abuse.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 03-24-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
If you forget the PSA slab, this sounds like a neurosurgical procedure........

Hold you son upright in the garage and split him open from the top with a hammer and a butter knife.......

Or child abuse.
It's all about spending time with the kids Frank!

"Here, hold the card...HOLD THE CARD!!! I'm not going to miss and hit your hand with the hammer like last time!!"

Just good family memories!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I'll make a video some time.

Take pliers and crack the top right corner of the slab about 3/4 of an inch in. Take a flathead screwdriver and shove it into the flip leveraging up as you go to the opposite (horizontal) end of the slab. This will pop up most of the gaskets and let you lift the card open with your hand rather easily. Slightly modified for SGC, new PSA, and BGS slabs.
I have cracked a ton of slabs over the years, and this is the exact technique I use.