NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default What would YOU like to see in a online auction?

I have been toying with the idea of starting a AH over the past few months. Have even purchased a domain and spoken to lawyers etc.

I want to make it a pleasure for everyone (buyers and sellers).

I would like to hear from both sides as to what 1-2 things they want to see the most in an online auction house in regards to operations mostly.

please post here.

Have an amazing day.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 12-18-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I want to see no buyers fee, no sellers fee and free shipping. Next....
Old 12-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Gobucsmagic74

One that doesn't close in the middle of the night on the East Coast
Old 12-18-2017, 12:15 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I would love to see lower condition/value cards lotted individually. I'm really sick and tired of seeing cards I want and could actually afford, combined into lots with a bunch of other cards I have absolutely no interest in.

There's an auction on ebay right now, where the single last card (a supposedly scarce/rare card) I need to finish a team run, is in a lot with 9 other cards I either already have, or have no interest in. I'm forced to either overpay for it and end up with 9 cards I neither want nor need, or forego it and hope I find the single card somewhere else.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM

I don't need to know anything ancillary about the card or the player on it. If I'm even looking at the card I already have enough information about it to be interested.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Do the following:

- Make sure that a user cannot place more than 3 bids on any item. I was watching an eBay item last night and somebody actually bid 30 times - no joke!

- It is unnecessary to write a 7 page University essay describing the item, player, history, etc. We already know all of that!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Do the following:

- Make sure that a user cannot place more than 3 bids on any item. I was watching an eBay item last night and somebody actually bid 30 times - no joke!

- It is unnecessary to write a 7 page University essay describing the item, player, history, etc. We already know all of that!

Just some quick clarification. Are you referring to shilling? Otherwise wouldn't this hurt a buyer who really wants an item? If they get outbid 3 times they would be elongated from contention.

Or do you mean enter 3 total max bids?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:03 PM

On eBay you will often see someone raise their max bid like 10 times just to intimidate other buyers into thinking there's intense competition for something. But really all 10 bids were placed by the same guy.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
On eBay you will often see someone raise their max bid like 10 times just to intimidate other buyers into thinking there's intense competition for something. But really all 10 bids were placed by the same guy.

Ok so that isn't shilling then. That's just a buyer strategy that has not bearing most likely on final sale price correct?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:08 PM

No, the only way it affects the sale price is if another bidder bids. Otherwise you have a guy who raises his max bid a million times just to make it look like other people are bidding. Each raise is counted as a "bid" by eBay. It's so you say to yourself: oh look, 30 bids, I probably won't win this.

Last edited by packs; 12-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Any other ideas fellas?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Any other ideas fellas?
It's been an hour and thirty one minutes. How about some patience?

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I am on my phone... meant to quote packs and the other guy who mentioned the bidding patterns. Apologies Leon.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:35 PM
D.mitr.y D.

1) Charge actual shipping. No extra fees.

2) Make the buyer's premium reasonable. No more than 12.5% (SSA and Brockelman are that low). Also, don't charge a minimum buyer's premium like Heritage.

3) Let the auctions end at a specific time, like on eBay. No extended bidding. At all. None.

4) Very short and to the point descriptions. No bios (someone already mentioned this).

5) Don't over exaggerate the scans. A few AHs have scans so bright it makes my eyes hurt (SportsCardLink come to mind, but there are others too). Make the scans high quality, but realistic.

6) Allow smaller $ value lots. I hate AHs where nothing is under $200.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 12-18-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Extended bidding is the absolute worst. I don't buy into the theory behind it. I think if you've bid on something and get outbid at 4:00 am, there's little chance you're going to wake up and place a bid on something else you'd set a placeholder bid on earlier. My ideal auction house would close individual lots after each lot has had 15 minutes of inaction, not after all lots.

Last edited by packs; 12-18-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Pete Sycks

I'd love to see all AH's end in a lot by lot basis. I realize this has been discussed in the past a lot. I'd also enjoy the cheap / free shipping that most AH's have adopted.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM
M@rk Comer

Default AH

1. No seller fee
2. Reasonable shipping/free shipping
3. Low buyer premium
4. Quality photos of the item
5. An auction end time
6. PayPal option
7. Quick turnaround
Old 12-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Paypal option is a good one. I don't like being held hostage by my payment.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I'd like to see proper English.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I like to see honest descriptions of wrinkle/creases. After the auction i would like to know what was not actually paid for and is being returned to the consignor or put up for another auctions.

Also want to see some type of username (can be coded etc) so i know who the unique bidder but dont know who it is so can see if its just between me and one guy or many guys and also fights shilling... plus can see if an item was not paid for..i can see who the bidder was (can be coded etc)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

How about some unidentified lots. Let the bidders do their own homework.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Extended bidding is the absolute worst. I don't buy into the theory behind it. I think if you've bid on something and get outbid at 4:00 am, there's little chance you're going to wake up and place a bid on something else you'd set a placeholder bid on earlier.
I do just that all the time.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Well I applaud your dedication to your hobby but it's a nightmare for me.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Tony

All above +
How about you & consignors reach a reasonable agreement on what opening bid should be. there is nothing worse than seeing your $200 item go for less than 30 bucks {before sellers fee}

I understand it's worth what someone is willing to pay; but if someone thought their item would go for cheap they probably would of just kept it.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 12-18-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
1) Charge actual shipping. No extra fees.

2) Make the buyer's premium reasonable. No more than 12.5% (SSA and Brockelman are that low). Also, don't charge a minimum buyer's premium like Heritage.

3) Let the auctions end at a specific time, like on eBay. No extended bidding. At all. None.

4) Very short and to the point descriptions. No bios (someone already mentioned this).

5) Don't over exaggerate the scans. A few AHs have scans so bright it makes my eyes hurt (SportsCardLink come to mind, but there are others too). Make the scans high quality, but realistic.

6) Allow smaller $ value lots. I hate AHs where nothing is under $200.
1. So he's supposed to get a shipping department to work as volunteers?

4. Never understood the hate for Bios. On rare occasion I have learned something interesting, and there are lots of less knowledgeable folks out there that probably appreciate the info, especially if we're talking someone like Joe Wood who doesn't have the HOF recognition. What I WOULD like to see is the important info and the bio info consistently separate and consistently located. Make the first paragraph, condition comments, pop report remarks and the like, don't make me wade through a bunch of extraneous info if I don't want to, especially on someone like Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
1. No seller fee
2. Reasonable shipping/free shipping
3. Low buyer premium
4. Quality photos of the item
5. An auction end time
6. PayPal option
7. Quick turnaround
How do people think businesses work? so basically you want him to collect almost no fees and have stellar customer service. Have collectors really gotten this spoiled that they think that's a viable option? Combine that with the guys who want cheaper lots (which I agree with) that take nearly as much work as expensive lots while generating less revenue and basically you guys want auction houses to be charities. I'd like to poop gold coins too, but c'mon man.

EDIT: And yes, Leon, I realize your first post was facetious, I wonder if other people do though!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-18-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Jeff Lazarus

- Make sure website is easily searchable (not like Hunt etc)
- display actual price with BP (like heritage)
- only items authenticated by respected 3rd party authentication (or at least be very clear on what is and what is not authenticated and by who)
- accurate titles (If mears says that they cannot State it was used by the player don’t refer to it as “Player x game used” etc)
- offer PayPal/CC options (I don’t mind paying a small premium that way though I’m not convinced it’s cheaper for the auction house to have to staff people to deal with checks and the like)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
How do people think businesses work? so basically you want him to collect almost no fees and have stellar customer service. Have collectors really gotten this spoiled that they think that's a viable option? Combine that with the guys who want cheaper lots (which I agree with) that take nearly as much work as expensive lots while generating less revenue and basically you guys want auction houses to be charities. I'd like to poop gold coins too, but c'mon man.

EDIT: And yes, Leon, I realize your first post was facetious, I wonder if other people do though!
Auction houses aren’t non profit charities. If their fees are disclosed stop doing business with people whose standard terms you don’t like.
My pet peeve is long delays in shipping. But that horse has been sufficiently flogged I think.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:41 PM
keith janosky

No hidden reserves. If you need a reserve on an item mention it. I think Iconic Auctions are the worst for that. Not sure anyone ever wins anything because most of it is on ebay then ends up back on there.

Last edited by keithsky; 12-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
My pet peeve is long delays in shipping. But that horse has been sufficiently flogged I think.
Now that I can get behind 100%

Old 12-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I prefer to see auction houses run by people who know a great deal about the subject matter, in fact I would consider that an absolute necessity.

Being a relative newcomer to the field doesn’t give anyone a free pass to open an auction house, what exactly would you provide to your consignors? Not trying to be rude but you have asked some pretty rudimentary questions over the past few months and not sure why you think this would be a great idea. Again, if you you decide to take this on I wish you luck I just don’t know that this would be a successful venture for you.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-18-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Scott Russell

One of the first things they teach you in Auctioneer school in PA. The most important tool an auctioneer has is product knowledge.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I didn't see anything regarding the types of consignments you are looking to have which I think that would plays significantly into the details of what I would expect/want, but overall I think everything can be generalized by 2 words: transparency and integrity. Low buyers premium doesn't mean a thing if people are getting shilled. Shipping that is fair, even if it is more than the postal rate, as long as we know we aren't going to be screwed and represents the packaging that is required. An honest representations of the item, which includes very clear picture(s), a description when necessary to point out a flaw that can't be seen, and accurate titles. Clear communication on what you expect the item to sell for before taking the consignment.

Like Rhett said, the person behind the auction house plays a big part. There are a lot of reasons LOTG, REA, Sterling, etc are so popular, but I think it really comes down to the owners of the business. Each of the owners has spent years/decades building their reputation and contacts within the hobby. I'm also not trying to be rude, but I would seriously ask yourself how well known are you in the hobby and how will that impact your ability to gather consignments and for people to trust you with their consignments.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I would saying running a successful AH requires a high level of credibility, which is both a lot of knowledge and the ability to be square with people. Four owners I have had personal interaction with who have both those traits are Scott Russell, Al, Scott Brockelman and Rhys. They are not going to bs you where it is not warranted. They are not carnival barkers. And they also have the temperment to deal with the wide range of buyers and sellers. They are all seemingly pretty laid back. They are not fighting with people regularly (to my knowledge) or getting into name calling fights with people every third day.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-18-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I didn't see anything regarding the types of consignments you are looking to have which I think that would plays significantly into the details of what I would expect/want, but overall I think everything can be generalized by 2 words: transparency and integrity.

DJ
I totally agree with those 2 words. Those are actually musts in anything in life for long term sustainability in my opinion.

I personally have a passion for Tickets, Photos, Ephemera and oddball items, so I would naturally like to cater towards those categories, however would be open to taking on any consignments as long as I was comfortable with them.

I agree that there are many knowledgable people in this industry and some are even honest and have integrity too.

If I were to do this, I would want it to be a tight ship. No shady business at all.

I'd be doing this as a passion not to become a millionaire.

A lot of great things have been discussed so far in this thread. Keep em coming.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post

I'd be doing this as a passion not to become a millionaire.

Amen.

I was asked point blank from a very well known hobby figure why I don't want to take my business online. he asked "Do you want to make less money?"

I said there's a simple answer and a long answer. The simple answer is "Yes."

Old 12-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I prefer to see auction houses run by people who know a great deal about the subject matter, in fact I would consider than an absolute necessity.

Being a relative newcomer to the field doesn’t give anyone a free pass to open an auction house, what exactly would you provide to your consignors? Not trying to be rude but you have asked some pretty rudimentary questions over the past few months and not sure why you think this would be a great idea. Again, if you you decide to take this on I wish you luck I just don’t know that this would be a successful venture for you.
I would respond to this by saying, I would offer absolute amazing customer service to both consignors and buyers. I have spent many years in sales and learned how important customer service and transparency is.

Nobody is too big or too small when it comes to being treated with respect and having their concerns answered.

I believe that shipping should be lightning fast, as should payouts, and emails should be answered almost immediately during an auction.

I am from a newer school where being constantly accesible is the norm and would translate that over to this model.

Still scratching the surface on ideas and how things would be done, but I like the ideas and hope to fill a void from the customer service point of view that the industry seems to be lacking.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 12-18-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I prefer to see auction houses run by people who know a great deal about the subject matter, in fact I would consider than an absolute necessity.
+1 A good auction house should be experts in the material #1.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
+1 A good auction house should be experts in the material #1.
+2. fortunately, it's not something that easily can be faked.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I'm sure I'd enjoy looking at the listings and probably bid some and if it's a good business model for you and something you would enjoy, go for it, but the hobby really "needs" another AH like I need more ass fat.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
1. So he's supposed to get a shipping department to work as volunteers?

4. Never understood the hate for Bios. On rare occasion I have learned something interesting, and there are lots of less knowledgeable folks out there that probably appreciate the info, especially if we're talking someone like Joe Wood who doesn't have the HOF recognition. What I WOULD like to see is the important info and the bio info consistently separate and consistently located. Make the first paragraph, condition comments, pop report remarks and the like, don't make me wade through a bunch of extraneous info if I don't want to, especially on someone like Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb.
1) AHs make their money on the buyer's premium. There's absolutely no need to gouge on shipping.

4) Those of use buying at an AH usually know what we want and don't need the lengthy bios. That's what Google, books, Wikipedia, etc are for. It's just cluttering up listings at an AH.

I also agree about having Paypal and/or a CC option available for payment. Preferably without any extra fees.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:52 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

How about a live auction format like I was toiling with for a bit. I think its a great idea but there is way more than I can commit to at this point. So if this idea helps go for it.

Member since 2009
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 AM

I don't like auctions with minimum bid increases that are too large. No need to have minimum 10% increases, especially on items going for thousands of dollars.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
1) AHs make their money on the buyer's premium. There's absolutely no need to gouge on shipping.

4) Those of use buying at an AH usually know what we want and don't need the lengthy bios. That's what Google, books, Wikipedia, etc are for. It's just cluttering up listings at an AH.

I also agree about having Paypal and/or a CC option available for payment. Preferably without any extra fees.
I am still waiting for anyone (from a post in another thread) who runs a business to come forward and tell me they can succeed on gross margins that you guys think an auction house can make it on. In this thread I have seen suggestions of no commission and low buyer's premiums coupled with free shipping. What is a low buyer's premium? 15 %, 10%???

You can't run a business with gross margins that low, and I don't anticipate anyone who actually owns a business of any sort, to contradict that.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
I am still waiting for anyone (from a post in another thread) who runs a business to come forward and tell me they can succeed on gross margins that you guys think an auction house can make it on. In this thread I have seen suggestions of no commission and low buyer's premiums coupled with free shipping. What is a low buyer's premium? 15 %, 10%???

You can't run a business with gross margins that low, and I don't anticipate anyone who actually owns a business of any sort, to contradict that.
Brockelman Auctions has a 12.5% buyer's premium and VERY cheap shipping. They are still in business, and doing very well I suspect.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I do like the intelligent informative write ups that some AHs have. Al of course comes to mind immediately. What I don't need is breathless hyperbole about "breath taking pasteboards," "one of the greatest extant" and claims that things are one of the hobby's best examples when it's the 15th one PDA 7 I've seen for sale since June. Good informative write ups are good. Hype and long recitations about how important Babe Ruth was to the game of baseball are a little silly. If you are using a thesaurus, bad.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-19-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

delete.

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 12-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Brockelman Auctions has a 12.5% buyer's premium and VERY cheap shipping. They are still in business, and doing very well I suspect.
A. Very Cheap isn't free

B. do they charge NO seller's commissions on all items???

Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
A. Very Cheap isn't free

B. do they charge NO seller's commissions on all items???
A. Very cheap shipping (at or near actual cost) is what I'm looking for - not free
B. No seller's commission on all items, YES! Here's a quote directly from the website:

Sellers win with Brockelman Auctions. We offer a sellers fee of zero % on lots consigned. The result being sellers receive more net dollars due to lower commissions and higher bidding activity.

Goes to show that this type of business model (low buyer's premium, no seller's commission, and cheap shipping) exists and works well. Wish others would follow suit.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 12-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
They used to be 10% with 0% for consignments.
There's a reason they "used to" and even then they weren't shipping for free. And please don't think I'm somehow ripping them, their margins are pretty much the smallest I've seen. If they can make it work at those numbers they are paragons of efficiency or something.

Let's look at their September auction.

Approximately 650 lots, let's say they averaged $200 per item, and I think that's more than fair when you see how many no sales they have, that means they took in $130,000.

so if the 12.5% is all they're taking in, they grossed $16,250.

How much did their custom platform and website cost? Shipping costs besides labor? How much does their real-estate cost them, office, warehouse etc...

How many salaries have to be paid out of that. Graphic designers? Shippers? Customer Service? How about the owner?

How many auctions do they run each year four? That's a GROSS profit of $65,000 That's not a business, that's a hobby. Out of that comes ALL the aforementioned expenses before any profit is made.

Again I'm waiting for any business owner to tell me that's a sustainable model. How many of you would be willing to work for $65,000 a year, let alone try and run a business off of it???

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.