NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default is this anson broadside real

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...182950&alt=web guys is this real or not
Old 05-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Joe

Not sure. Looks real, but given clean condition and small size looks like it could have been run off your standard printer.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
I saw it when it went up. It now seems real.....

Last edited by Leon; 05-09-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: changed view
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Joe

Price seems to good to be true. You would think that if the seller put a BIN at $1200 he would get more bites, but at $275 everyone assumes it to be not real. Looks like could be real, but can't tell w/o having it in hand. The seller added some comments to the listing. If there was a gaurantee to return if it looked bad under a black light, could be worth taking a chance on.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

He'd do better with a better story like he found it in an old shed or his great granfather was Cap Anson's mailman.....saying the truth in that he bought it on Ebay years ago, when there were a lot of fake broadsides going around can't help.

All he needs to add is that is came from Ohio to put the final nail in it.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 05-08-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Jim Murphy

The company Young Sports Pub Co did exists at 19 Beekman St in New York during the 1890’s. It published a sports paper aimed at young adults.

The size of the newspapers was 9x12.

Since they were a small publisher, more than likely they would make their advertisements the same size as their newspaper. So if the seller would measure the item from behind the mat and it came out to 9x12, that would be a good sign
Old 05-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Jim Murphy

asked him a few questions and he said the printing is solid and not dotted, cant get to the true size as the mat is glued to the backing
Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Mark Fox

A few of these have sold at auction, the most recent at Heritage in 2007:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/18...47112-620130.s

And with the hammer it went for just $167.50
Old 05-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Joe

http://www.capanson.com/baseball_cards.html

image.jpg
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Joe

image.jpg
Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So would this have been a page from the magazine or it's own printing? Either way, if it is period then I stand corrected. The story and everything just didn't add up.....
Old 05-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So would this have been a page from the magazine or it's own printing? Either way, if it is period then I stand corrected. The story and everything just didn't add up.....
I suspect a page from the magazine. If it's period then the price may more be in line, as a magazine cut out from a youth 5-Cent library publication would not command a very high price.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Jim Murphy

why would you advertise for people to buy your paper with an ad in the paper you are reading.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The essential problem is it's not shown outside the frame and the seller says he's never taken it out of the frame. Obviously, if the back is blank versus has text (as with a magazine page) is something one has to see in determining what it is. And, also, you want to see things outside of the frames to judge condition. If he took it out of the frame and discovered the back was blank, he'd be reasonable in upping the price $1,500-- which of course begs the question of why he isn't pricing it as if the back is blank.

But the printing appears vintage. The graphics of Anson appear to be a wood-engraving which was a standard of the period. So I have reason to doubt the age.

Last edited by drcy; 05-08-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Well it's an ad for a future article in the same publication. So it would make sense to publicize your next issue within your current issue.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Of course, you wonder why it's listed at that price, because a broadside like that would be worth a lot more. If he took it out of the frame and the back was blank, he'd be reasonable in raising the price $1,500 or so.
Possibly, unless its not a broadside or separate printing at all, and just a page from a youth pulp magazine, as I speculate, which would not be as high a price. I don't know..just speculating too.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:48 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's a fair assumption it's from a publication. That's what I was insinuating.

I don't know what it is (I haven't seen the back), but if I had to guess I would guess its a page from a period magazine.

Unless it's been glued to the matte, it would take three minutes for the seller to reveal what's on the back-- so I'll pass on further speculation. Further speculation about something that could be identified in three minutes seems silly.

Last edited by drcy; 05-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Would someone just buy the damn thing already!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Fine I'll do it, Leon what's your credit card #?
Old 05-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Fine I'll do it, Leon what's your credit card #?
I will chip in the quarter I used to picture with my collection .
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I will chip in the quarter I used to picture with my collection .
You should put that quarter in your next auction, I guarantee you get 2 NET54ers in a bidding war for it, I say you take home $27.50.....minus the buyers premium.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
You should put that quarter in your next auction, I guarantee you get 2 NET54ers in a bidding war for it, I say you take home $27.50.....minus the buyers premium.
I hear ya'....people are crazy. I recently picked up a Dr.Jim Beckett promo baseball card from around 25-30 yrs ago, graded by Beckett..(around $40)...who knows why we do what we do. I would estimate around 10 bucks for the quarter . Catch two guys getting a good one on, in a bidding war, later on a Friday evening and it could get to your estimate.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Looks like someone is taking a chance on this piece....its been sold. Anybody want to fess up?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Robert S

Default The Heritage One

The Heritage one originally was sold in a 2001 Ron Oser auction and came with a letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA. It is mounted on poster board. It is approx. 8 x 11 inches.

It likely was originally given to newsstands / news sellers to advertise a coming issue of the magazine.

Robert S
Old 05-09-2015, 06:19 PM
George

Hi Guys,
I saw this thread in the afternoon after having made an offer a few days ago which was accepted today. I'll let everyone know what I find out when it arrives.

I've collected plenty of 19th century woodcuts, prints, and supplements. I know that Heritage and this listing were listing it as a 'broadside.' I don't think that description is accurate. IMO it's simply a supplement that was likely inserted into the publication to incent people to buy the future publication with Anson on the cover. It is also possible that was part of the actual publication.

Regardless of whether it's a supplement or part of the publication, I think the price is accurate. If this was in fact an advertisement piece that was independent of the publication, I would think that it would be a much larger format. There are certainly small format advertisements (I have one of 1889 Boston BBC that has similar dimensions) but it is more likely intended to be part of the publication. Again, I'll let you all know what I find. I've been surprised before but the image and the text look period.

George
Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
George

Hi All,
The Anson advertisement arrived yesterday. I have included some close-up photos below...it's certainly period. It is mounted on poster board so I'm going to have a frame shop remove it. Just looking at the color and texture, it is unlikely that this is part of the actual publication (even if dimensions are similar).

To Robert's comment, this does appear to be some sort of advertisement...I'm still open to the idea that it may have been a supplement that was included with the prior publication but looking more and more like a stand-alone item. I'll keep everyone posted on what else I find out once it has been removed from the poster board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1236.jpg (61.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1238.jpg (29.9 KB, 252 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM
George

A follow-up on this woodcut. I removed the frame but the actual image was dry mounted to archival poster. Curiosity got the best of me and after a few searches, I found the below image which shows that this woodcut comes from the back page of the previous week's publication...it's obviously advertising the newspaper but not stand-alone. I purchased it based on the assumption that it was part of the publication and I think the pricing is accurate.

The only open item imo is the dimension. The one that I purchased is 8" x 11" not 9" x 12." It's possible that it was trimmed but it's impossible for me to tell. Perhaps it is a smaller format advertisement (I have an unrelated advertisement that is 8" x 11") but I think that given the below image, it is more likely part of the publication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1470 May. 22 15.47.jpg (71.2 KB, 185 views)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 PM
J@son M1ller

you should put the image and lettering under higher magnification. I'm skeptical because 8x11 is a standard paper size (8.5x11) and when we see reprints (fakes) they are done on home printers and then aged. Can you get your hands on one of these cheap $15 60-100x microscopes? You'll be able to see the dot pattern if there is one.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...xKyBoCFlLw_wcB
Old 05-30-2015, 02:26 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
you should put the image and lettering under higher magnification. I'm skeptical because 8x11 is a standard paper size (8.5x11) and when we see reprints (fakes) they are done on home printers and then aged. Can you get your hands on one of these cheap $15 60-100x microscopes? You'll be able to see the dot pattern if there is one.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...xKyBoCFlLw_wcB
The previous pictures were magnified at 10-15x and there is absolutely no dot pattern. I tried to take a few more pictures under even higher magnification but it was difficult because I had already put it back in the frame and the viewer is very small. The borders of the lettering are darker. Dimensions are only one consideration and while they're an important one, it's clear that under magnification this is a period piece.

The question I have is whether this is from the publication (based on the previous publication) or if this is truly a stand-alone small format advertisement. I'm still somewhat uncertain because of the smaller dimensions and lack of evidence that it has been trimmed around the edges. Additionally, the texture itself seems 'thicker' in nature...I have no other way to describe it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1387.jpg (77.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1381.jpg (58.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1383.jpg (63.8 KB, 66 views)