NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Graig Kreindler

Default March pick-ups!!

Hey all,

I can't believe I'm actually starting this thread!!! I guess I was just so excited by my most recent reference purchase that I had to pull the trigger.

I won this baby off of a Legendary eBay auction a day or two ago:

The image is of Hank Greenberg before the top of the 4th inning during the 5th game of the 1940 World Series. He had hit a three-run homer into deep left field about ten minutes prior.

This was actually the original 4"x5" negative of a photo I fell in love with a while back. I think the first time I saw it was in Ken Burns' documentary, but I had never been able to track down a copy of any sorts. The image of any ballplayer tipping his cap to the crowd is just too Rockwellian for me to pass up!

Now, I'm hoping that the actual negative isn't as over-exposed as the scan, as I've seen the following Type 1 in one of Henry Yee's auctions:

I guess we'll see when it arrives! And 'yes', this will be a painting for darn sure.

Now, let's see yours!!

Graig
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Joe Jesselli

I was lucky enough to get to a few games at Tiger Stadium. Pictures like that really make me miss it. There was nothing like hearing the crack of the bat in that place when the stands were near-empty.

Here's one of my latest acquisitions, a souvenir knife from the 1914 World Series. The Braves are on the other side. I've always thought it was neat and it doesn't turn up too often, and lawdy it'd better not be a fake, I pray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aknife.jpg (59.2 KB, 1060 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Not exactly a March pickup as I found this interesting plaque from Yankee Stadium on EBAY about a month ago...anyone ever seen something like this before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plaque.jpg (43.5 KB, 1030 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Those markers were, I believe, set in the sidewalk around the Stadium.
If you ever decide to sell, please let me know!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks very much for the info, David. I really appreciate it.

Frank
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Graig...
That Greenberg image is a stunner. Cannot wait to see ther impending masterpiece!

Joseph...
No worries on the A's/Braves Knife (it's real). I was watching that one for a long time, and had my finger on the trigger a couple of times. Never quite pulled it, so I am glad it went to a good home!

I was able to acquire this epic statue from Hunt's over the weekend.... it a genuine Muller Batter from 1868. One of the first baseball statues ever created, and a super rare piece. Being a collector of this figural stuff (and as rarely as these come along) I was praying to land either this one or the Pitcher, which I believe to be even more scarce. Apparently the participating bidders thought so too!

Some interesting prices realized at Hunts... some were very high, but lots of great deals as well. I know the dreadful weather probably kept some potential live bidders away. Any other Hunt winners- please post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muller.jpg (77.8 KB, 981 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Max Weder

Picked up this original cartoon from the February 10, 1911 Philadelphia Inquirer

from the ebay description

PRINT SIZE APPROX. 13" BY 17 1/4" DONE ON A HEAVY CARDBOARD. OVERALL WITH FRAME 15 1/4" BY 20"
Players and others featured include: CHIEF BENDER- HALL OF FAME PITCHER, AMOS STRUNK-OUTFIELDER, EDDIE GLENNON-MANAGER, PAT CLEARY & BILLY KLINK. Central Personage is CHARLES "CHARLIE" KAIER, founder of Kaier's Brewery in MAHANOY CITY, PA. Leading sponser of reception for Connie Mack. Signed by H. A. NASIUM, MAHANOY CITY.

Last edited by baseballart; 03-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Brock

Nice shootin on the Muller statue Mark! It doesn't get much better than that.

Here is an early postcard from the Hall of Fame which shows the statues prominently displayed on the fireplace mantle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bec7_1.jpg (24.1 KB, 880 views)
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very cool photo Brock. Interesting to see them on display "back in the day".
I wonder what they cost "new"
Thanks for posting!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default 1961 Photo Pennant

Picked this up...not sure if I overpaid at $140 or not, but I love the content and the condition.
Ben

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Hi Graig...

I have this photo of a young Willie Mays tipping his cap at a spring training game before the 1954 season. I thought you might enjoy seeing it.

Robert >>

Last edited by Robbie; 08-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Mike H.

Ben, That is a very nice piece for obvious reasons. The condition appears exceptional and that was a solid purchase at that price point. You did well...congrats.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Mike H.

Just received this and it looks great on the wall.

Last edited by mjkm90; 03-06-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM

Default Good thing I don't smoke...

A splendid trio of high-grade glass ashtrays circa 1950's.

yankeesglassashtray.jpgredsoxashtray.jpggiantsashtray.jpg
Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Graig Kreindler

You're right, Robbie - I definitely want to see it!!

I just really love those kinds of shots. I feel like curtain calls are a dime a dozen these days, and for whatever reason, it just takes some of the poignancy away from the gesture.

And of course, back in the day, you'd see people like Ruth and Gehrig cross the plate after a home run, and tip their caps and smile to the crowd on the way back to the dugout. It's almost like they relished in the applause, and that they were so appreciative of the fans. I feel like you just don't see that kind of interaction nowadays. Then again, most ballparks are blasting music and fireworks after a home run, so I wouldn't be surprised if all of the screaming and cheering becomes inaudible.

I guess I just long for the days when these ballplayers seemed human and accessible. I just hope I'm not alone...
Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Chris

Picked up this Phillies pennant.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice pickup, Chris. That is a tough variation, and looks to be in fine condition.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Joe Hunter

Default March Pickups

Picked up this beautiful fringed Yankees pennant from fellow board member Mike H. off of the B/S/T. Friendly negotiations and flawless transaction. Not sure whether this is from the 1930's or 1955. In his pennant book, Mike Egner pictures a very similar fringed pennant with a 1955 date. There is also a similar 1930's pennant listed, but without the fringe. In either case, it is a great pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (78.9 KB, 599 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:11 PM

That pennant is a real beauty Joe. Congrats.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Graig...

You are definitely not alone. Much of the sincere human touch has left the game.

Robert >>
Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The Yankees Champs Pennant is a 1950s issue. It's a beauty... the only other pennant (I am aware of) with a fringe like that is the fantastic 1955 World Series Pennant.

Congrats on a great acquisition... just another example of how the B/S/T cannot be beat!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Default This pickup could also be posted in the "my most prized possesion" thread...

I love this March pickup! My wife and I went on our very 1st date on August 18, 1989. Even though I'm originally from So Cal, I met my wife in the midwest. When we first got to know each other, it turned out that we both had a great love of baseball. Knowing that she was a die-hard Tigers fan, I thought that flying out to take her to a Tigers game was a great way to begin things when I first asked her out. On August 18th the home town Tigers stomped the visiting Yanks, and needless to say we had a great time. My biggest regret was that I never saved the tickets to this game. For years I have been searching for a replacement ticket stub. Through pure seredipity I stumbled on to the actual Tigers dugout card to this game (in HOF Sparky Anderson's hand) about a week ago. The cost- $17 delivered; the value-priceless! I plan on framing this with a plaque that is inscribed "Baby, this is where it all began..." I will be on giving this to her as one of her presents for our 20th wedding anniversary in May of this year.
Corny, but I love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detroit Tigers dugout card- Mary's & my 1st date.jpg (70.5 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-06-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I love this March pickup! My wife and I went on our very 1st date on August 18, 1989. Even though I'm originally from So Cal, I met my wife in the midwest. When we first got to know each other, it turned out that we both had a great love of baseball. Knowing that she was a die-hard Tigers fan, I thought that flying out to take her to a Tigers game was a great way to begin things when I first asked her out. On August 18th the home town Tigers stomped the visiting Yanks, and needless to say we had a great time. My biggest regret was that I never saved the tickets to this game. For years I have been searching for a replacement ticket stub. Through pure seredipity I stumbled on to the actual Tigers dugout card to this game (in HOF Sparky Anderson's hand) about a week ago. The cost- $17 delivered; the value-priceless! I plan on framing this with a plaque that is inscribed "Baby, this is where it all began..." I will be on giving this to her as one of her presents for our 20th wedding anniversary in May of this year.
Corny, but I love it!
What an incredible story Scott! Can't wait to hear her reaction. I would imagine tears will be involved...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
What an incredible story Scott! Can't wait to hear her reaction. I would imagine tears will be involved...
Jimmy,
I'll keep you posted.........
Old 03-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Scott

Corny yes, but Priceless YES even more. Great idea Scott and I'm sure she will appreciate it. Best Wishes on many more years of happiness in your marriage.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Corny yes, but Priceless YES even more. Great idea Scott and I'm sure she will appreciate it. Best Wishes on many more years of happiness in your marriage.
Thanks Scott! I can't believe how fast the 1st 20 years went...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Chris Counts

Scott, that's a great story and a great pickup. That's also one of the weakest Yankees lineups I've ever seen with Mel Hall batting cleanup ...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Scott, that's a great story and a great pickup. That's also one of the weakest Yankees lineups I've ever seen with Mel Hall batting cleanup ...
Chris,
You are right, that was a pretty weak Yankees lineup. I remember that the Tigers went off on Yanks pitching, homering 5 times in the game. I looked it up and Lemon, Schu, ward, K. Williams and Bergman all homered for the Tigs. We were sitting in row 1 on the railing on the first base line right next to the Yankees bullpen. I still remember Goose Gossage coming in to eat up some innnings in relief. He was great to watch up close. It seemed to me that he was really bringing it. The sound of his fastball hitting the catchers mitt sounded like a gunshot. Whack!! Whack!! Good times!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Jeff

Default 1974 McDonalds Fotoball

Got this fotorrific fotoball from forum member bobbvc. Many thanks and glad to own one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fotoball.jpg (65.4 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg FotoballOpen.jpg (67.9 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg FotoballCards.jpg (80.2 KB, 573 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

Don't have it in hand yet, but it seems interesting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BlqS3)g!2k~$(KGrHqUH-DsEttBCbFj)BLciPrwoQ!~~_35.jpg (10.7 KB, 515 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Rob I am wondering if the Cleveland City Council had a regular game each year with the Detroit Police and Cleveland Police. Check out the ball below and you will see why I think this is possible. Sept. 5, 1889 is there anything on the back? Thanks! D.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Richard Cline

Picked up this Vander Meer photo/auto from a friend, fits nicely with my Reds collection.
RC
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default cleveland city counsil pin

these are solid steel printers blocks from the turn of the century. the one all the way on the left is the block of the baseball scene on the pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (62.9 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.JPG (65.8 KB, 555 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Default 1913 cravat

Won this last week but have not received it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedient.jpg (31.1 KB, 536 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Broughman View Post
Rob I am wondering if the Cleveland City Council had a regular game each year with the Detroit Police and Cleveland Police. Check out the ball below and you will see why I think this is possible. Sept. 5, 1889 is there anything on the back? Thanks! D.
I'll give you a better description after I have the pin in hand.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Significant 1954 Letter Regarding Roberto Clemente

At the age of 18, Clemente attended a tryout camp conducted by Brooklyn Dodgers scout and future general manager Al Campanis. Among 70 players, Clemente stood out. "He was the best free-agent athlete I have ever seen," Campanis recalled.

After playing with Santurce in the Puerto Rican winter league, Clemente signed with the Dodgers for a $10,000 bonus and a $5,000 salary. He played in 1954 with the Dodgers' Montreal farm club. But when Brooklyn didn't protect him on its roster, the Pirates selected Clemente as the first selection of the rookie draft that took place on November 22, 1954.

On November 23, 1954 Mr. Harold G. Roettger, assistant to the President of the Pirates sent this letter to Mr. Phillip Piton, Ass't to Pres. on the NAPBL.

004.jpg

The response from the NAPBL...

002.jpg

Being a huge lifetime Clemente fan, I consider this one of the most important finds I've made
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Scott

GREAT find Jimmy, Id kill for that one..haha. One of the three guys IMO who really changed Baseball, along w Babe and of course Jackie.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Anthony

Jimmy,

Sweet pick up. I just love this sight, I learn something new everyday. I never knew Clemente played for the '54 Dodger's farm team. Congratulations!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 AM

Default Clemente letter

Great find there Jimmy! Congrats on your pickup!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
At the age of 18, Clemente attended a tryout camp conducted by Brooklyn Dodgers scout and future general manager Al Campanis. Among 70 players, Clemente stood out. "He was the best free-agent athlete I have ever seen," Campanis recalled.

After playing with Santurce in the Puerto Rican winter league, Clemente signed with the Dodgers for a $10,000 bonus and a $5,000 salary. He played in 1954 with the Dodgers' Montreal farm club. But when Brooklyn didn't protect him on its roster, the Pirates selected Clemente as the first selection of the rookie draft that took place on November 22, 1954.

On November 23, 1954 Mr. Harold G. Roettger, assistant to the President of the Pirates sent this letter to Mr. Phillip Piton, Ass't to Pres. on the NAPBL.

Attachment 15333

The response from the NAPBL...

Attachment 15334

Being a huge lifetime Clemente fan, I consider this one of the most important finds I've made
---------------------
Now this is sweet! Good show!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Jeff

Default HR Baker photo

A Type Something or Someother
Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Chris Wood

Default 19th Century Items

Picked up a couple of a interesting late 1800's paper items - 1893 issue of "The Reliable Book of Outdoor Games" by Henry Chadwick and an 1899 hanging Base Ball ticket from an unknown (town?) game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01661.jpg (38.5 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg IMG01662.jpg (38.0 KB, 607 views)
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 AM

Thanks goes out to Scott, Anthony, Scott G. and Ben for their nice comments regarding the 1954 Clemente Letter. Much appreciated.

Best, Jimmy
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Archive

Nice photo Jeff!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Nice photo Jeff!
Thanks. Wouldn't you love to have one of those sweaters?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Very happy with this find. Branch Rickey Official League ball signed by 12 members of the 1932 Cardinals. Frisch, Watkins, Wares, Street, Hallahan, Flowers, Stout, Bottomley, Collins, Gelbert, Gonzalez and Holm. My first Rickey Ball - would love to find out more about the ball itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rickeyball.jpg (71.3 KB, 526 views)
Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Scott

How do they enforce the 36 Inning guarantee?

Seriously, great ball. Once again, this hobby is the greatest, and its so cool seeing all the different things people collect/desire.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Scott

I'm not a Cardinals fan, just loved this when I saw it on the bay. Dont have it yet, but heres a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardinalsLPfleabay.jpg (25.7 KB, 462 views)
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I'm not a Cardinals fan, just loved this when I saw it on the bay. Dont have it yet, but heres a picture:

I am a Cardinals fan and I wouls say so was the person who had this attached to their vehicle. Nice piece!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Scott

Yeah, story I got was the guys Grandfather had it nailed to his shed for years, thus the wear and small hole in center. I have no reason to doubt that story. Cant wait to get this!