NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2019, 06:27 AM
Justin

I'm fairly new to the forum but it's good to see some net54 guys being the ones who win the lots I'm outbid on!

Anyone here pick up the Cy Young Portrait EPDG Altered, and Marquard Portrait American Beauty lot?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM
Andy

Thanks guys!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great card. I think you got a pretty good deal on it.

Here is one I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewevan View Post
So- with all the noise in the hobby- what does everyone think of the hammer prices in REA?

Anything go high?- low?

Did I overpay for my one win?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter1a.jpg (78.3 KB, 960 views)

Last edited by Leon; 08-20-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Thanks Leon. I am just getting into Vintage- figured Joe Jackson was a good place to start.

That Johnson is beautiful. I think his stuff is undervalued. Was looking at picking up a Cracker Jack of him.

Thanks for the feedback!! I appreciate it.

Looks like a lot of members here got some great stuff!
Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Nice Leon. Congrats
Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 AM

I'm a happy camper - I swept 4/4

JeremyW alerted me to this one - I've been on the lookout for this for quite a while. Pumped to have it coming!

I've also wanted a Connor Old Judge. I remember a beat to death raw '86 OJ came up. I threw a couple grand on it ... yeah ... it went for over 13k LOL. May upgrade at some point, but happy to have an authentic Connor for now.

This card has ALWAYS mesmerized me, and may be my favorite looking 19th century card, ever. I think it captures the game magnificently - bare hands and all. But ... where is he playing, on the beach? It looks like he is in the middle of a beach/park day playing a game.

Last, but not least - drool. It has a spot of paper loss on the back which is my favorite kind of damage. I have the M116 Wags, but this is just that much closer to a T206. I like to think of it as the exact opposite of a T206. Candy, blue, reversed image ... just perfection.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Scott S

What a fantastic E90-2 Wagner - an incredible 1! There were 3 E90-2 Wagners in the auction in various grades - I bet if there hadn't been 3 running at the same time, any of those three would've sold higher. I think you got a decent deal on a card with such fantastic eye appeal!
Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
What a fantastic E90-2 Wagner - an incredible 1! There were 3 E90-2 Wagners in the auction in various grades - I bet if there hadn't been 3 running at the same time, any of those three would've sold higher. I think you got a decent deal on a card with such fantastic eye appeal!
Thanks! I was super happy about it. I had been looking at a 3 elsewhere with similar eye appeal, but for much higher. When the M116 landed, I stopped looking, but when this beauty of a 1 came up, I knew I had to go for it.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Tango Cobb

Great acquisition on the Tango Cobb Steve!! One of a kind...Jerry
Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Got the only one I was interested in/after

Can’t download photos, as the new work computer doesn’t like Net54 Vintage Baseball Cards, but got Lot #446: 1909-1911 T206 White Border George McQuillan Ball in Hand - Brown Hindu Back.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Congrats on the Creighton woodcut! You got a great buy at that price, and it has the entire newspaper to boot. IMO it is one of the most undervalued items of 19th century memorabilia out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
I'm a happy camper - I swept 4/4

JeremyW alerted me to this one - I've been on the lookout for this for quite a while. Pumped to have it coming!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Congrats on the Creighton woodcut! You got a great buy at that price, and it has the entire newspaper to boot. IMO it is one of the most undervalued items of 19th century memorabilia out there.
Thanks! Yeah, I was willing to go significantly higher, so I was pleasantly surprised
Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I agree with Corey on the Creighton piece. You will notice that Mort Rogers, of later scorecard fame, is pictured at the bottom.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I agree with Corey on the Creighton piece. You will notice that Mort Rogers, of later scorecard fame, is pictured at the bottom.
I've never heard of him, but am now excited to do some research, thanks!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Came away with this one:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
I've never heard of him, but am now excited to do some research, thanks!
It's a great piece. I have one framed. I have all of the 19th century Harper's Weeklies and almost all of the Leslie's Illustrated from the 19th century that contain wood cuts etc depicting baseball. All Leslie's are also full newspapers other than this one -- although my print is in a bit better condition. I thought this would go to about $600 or so, so I didn't bid. You got a good price. Congrats.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKenKen View Post
It's a great piece. I have one framed. I have all of the 19th century Harper's Weeklies and almost all of the Leslie's Illustrated from the 19th century that contain wood cuts etc depicting baseball. All Leslie's are also full newspapers other than this one -- although my print is in a bit better condition. I thought this would go to about $600 or so, so I didn't bid. You got a good price. Congrats.
Thanks! I think the last few I saw had some holes, so I'm happy with it. What are some of your favorites in your collection beside this one?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
in this auction you'd have had some competition for that Mays - went cheap - had way too many other things to focus on this go round!
I thought it was surprising how few bids it got. I got knocked out of another lot I wanted more, saw this one was still there, and put in a bid that held. Of course you have to factor in 20% vig and 10% sales tax (in CA).

On the issue of prices, I watch Exhibits and the Ruth single subject cards performed very well. They are getting quite pricey even in lower grades.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Great card. I think you got a pretty good deal on it.

Here is one I got.
That has to be one of the real deals in the auction, Leon, haven't seen many of those over the years--and a great card! The Johnson Birthplace postcard also went way low, I thought. I picked up the WaJo 20th Anniversary letter and silk ribbon, a great combo to get framed, and a funny story of how they came about. With all the commotion, still a great hobby, isn't it?

Last edited by Hankphenom; 08-20-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Funny you mention that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I thought it was surprising how few bids it got. I got knocked out of another lot I wanted more, saw this one was still there, and put in a bid that held. Of course you have to factor in 20% vig and 10% sales tax (in CA).

On the issue of prices, I watch Exhibits and the Ruth single subject cards performed very well. They are getting quite pricey even in lower grades.
My collection is mostly post war, but I have started dabbling in some pre war. Would like a Ruth card in the collection one day. Had the 21 Ruth Exhibit on the list with a placeholder bid -too busy swimming in all the Bazooka boxes to get back to it this auction though.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:41 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That has to be one of the real deals in the auction, Leon, haven't seen many of those over the years--and a great card! The Johnson Birthplace postcard also went way low, I thought. I picked up the WaJo 20th Anniversary letter and silk ribbon, a great combo to get framed, and a funny story of how they came about. With all the commotion, still a great hobby, isn't it?
I consigned the WaJo 20th Anniversary letter and ribbon. They are very nice - the letter is in great shape for its age and the ribbon is practically flawless. I thought they would go for much more. I kept waiting for the bidding to pick up, but it never did. I think you got a great deal and they'll look great framed!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

When people say that "went too cheap", are they factoring in the the 30% upchage (commission, taxes, shipping, insurance) many of us would have to pay?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-21-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
When people say that "went too cheap", are they factoring in the the 30% upchage (commission, taxes, shipping, insurance) many of us would have to pay?
Yes. I won 4 lots (total around 5k AFTER BP) and the total shipping was $20. That comes out to $5 bucks a lot for the incidentals, not including tax, which as of the moment I don't think REA charges for Texas.
When I bid in Heritage I factor in 30% over my max bid. I can't imagine a lot of people don't think about the BP and/or shipping/tax, though I know a few have mentioned they have forgotten.
That is like buying a car for 40k and forgetting about the sales tax. It makes little sense.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 AM

I'd be shocked if there's bidders out there who don't factor in BP/tax, etc. If they aren't, I feel bad for them. When I note/remember prices I paid for things, it's always including BP...that's what I had to lay out for the item!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I'd be shocked if there's bidders out there who don't factor in BP/tax, etc. If they aren't, I feel bad for them. When I note/remember prices I paid for things, it's always including BP...that's what I had to lay out for the item!
I actually put my landed cost as the price I paid. Not sure if that is correct but it feels like that is what I paid.
Not factoring BP and other costs in, is called a learning lesson. If someone does it too often they won't have to worry about it because they will be broke.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 AM
D@ve R1cks

I have kind of avoided bidding in REA for the last few years, amazing items but prices usually end up quite high.

I regret it this time though, I wasn't watching a few items that I was interested in, and they went for a lot less than expected and I missed out. Oh well!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's astonishing to me that so many people over the years don't seem to understand this. I still hear things like I won't bid in that auction because I don't want to pay a 20 percent premium.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Agreed, although I get the sales tax thing since that creates an uneven playing field.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Agreed, although I get the sales tax thing since that creates an uneven playing field.
Ship your cards to the Vault then.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Ha, no thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I consigned the WaJo 20th Anniversary letter and ribbon. They are very nice - the letter is in great shape for its age and the ribbon is practically flawless. I thought they would go for much more. I kept waiting for the bidding to pick up, but it never did. I think you got a great deal and they'll look great framed!
Thank you, together they make a great WaJo item and it found the best home possible. I do have a question: did you get them together, and as far as you know, have they always been together? They were mailed out that way in 1927, and one of the things I liked about this lot was the possibility that they've come down through the years still together as issued. As for the price, the final tally including premium is exactly on target as I've tracked these over the years. The letter in good shape goes for about a grand, and the ribbon separately for $200-300. My bid--and it did hit my maximum--is what I would have paid for these at a show. Your problem is that once the consignor's fee is taken out, your take ends up below market. It does look like I had one other bidder testing my maximum for the last several bids, though, so it could have been worse! Looks like overall this was a soft auction, and who ever knows why that happens? Summertime, disgust with events in the hobby, softening economy, a combination of those? Those of us who have consigned to a lot of auctions over the years are used to frequent disappointment and an occasional "shoot the moon," but the one constant that keeps them going is that you send them your item and you get a check, done and done. And at least with REA you can never argue that whatever your items ended up at, that didn't reflect the true market at that time. If they didn't do well, nobody would have done better. Thanks again for the wonderful stuff, Nate, and know that they will be well taken care of and appreciated.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Yes, I can see that happening ONCE to a bidder, a learning experience as others had said! I always ask myself what I would pay for it at a show, then figure in the BP to calculate my maximum bid.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It certainly does suck that I have to factor in a 26% premium (20% + 6% PA sales tax) and folks in other states just pay the straight 20% When you try and stick to a budget and your bidding on items that are 2 and 3k that extra $150-$200 can make a difference. And I'm small time. What about the people that are playing in the upper ends. That's a huge hit. I assume every state will be collecting their tax in the near future though if they aren't already.

I bought a card off ebay today and I was checking out and I looked at the tax and did the math in my head and said that's not 6% it's 8%. Why am I paying 8%? Then I looked where the seller was from and they happened to be in Philly where there's an additional 2% tax so they are collecting that too!

I would love a running list of the email addresses of guys who sell on ebay to make it easier to try and buy off of it.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Barry Sloate

What sucks is having to pay nearly 9% tax, as we do in NY, and going head to head against someone who doesn't have to pay it. That leaves you at a full increment disadvantage on what becomes an unlevel playing field. But there is nothing you can do.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
What sucks is having to pay nearly 9% tax, as we do in NY, and going head to head against someone who doesn't have to pay it. That leaves you at a full increment disadvantage on what becomes an unlevel playing field. But there is nothing you can do.
Move to another state.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Barry Sloate

Actually, I have a second home in Florida and I do not get charged sales tax. But we are not always there.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Actually, I have a second home in Florida and I do not get charged sales tax. But we are not always there.
You just need to be there for 51% of the year.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You just need to be there for 51% of the year.
We're a little under 51% right now, but we're working on it.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Could be worse... WA is 10%

As for the inequity vs. bidders in other states... Is there a projected time-frame in which ALL states will be required to pay sales tax? This "staggered" start is killing us in Washington (first with eBay, then HA, now REA).
Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Not for long; nearly all of the states have enacted rules that require AHs to collect the tax from the bidders. I had it added to my invoice from REA. Which is fine since I have to pay the use tax anyway if I am not charged for sales tax.

Or not...
Old 08-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Could be worse... WA is 10%

As for the inequity vs. bidders in other states... Is there a projected time-frame in which ALL states will be required to pay sales tax? This "staggered" start is killing us in Washington (first with eBay, then HA, now REA).
From what I read on eBay, each state passed its own law with its own trigger dates. I got a circular recently from the sales tax people here in Cali. Our state does everything on the basis of its fiscal year (7/1-6/30), so taxes and fees adjust or kick in usually in July or October (Q1). In our case, the state is requiring 'marketplace facilitator' sales tax collection starting October 1, 2019. REA might have jumped the gun but I don't care since I have to remit use tax regardless, so whether they collect and remit or I do, it is the same damned thing.

If you are a reseller and you are buying inventory you should be able to provide a resale permit and certificate to eBay and any AH and that should exempt you from paying sales tax up front. I've filed with eBay already.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-21-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:49 PM
J.O.N

Congrats on all of the winnings guys. I was the underbidder on many items listed.

Here’s mine.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's astonishing to me that so many people over the years don't seem to understand this. I still hear things like I won't bid in that auction because I don't want to pay a 20 percent premium.
My point was actually not whether people who buy something forget to factor in the 30%, but whether folks are looking at an item they didn't bid on at an auction and comment it "went cheap" are always appreciating the actual sale price vs. the hammer price. I assume they guy who bought it remembers the 30% or whatever it is.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-21-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Jay Cee

Maybe we will see AHs absorb some of the cost soon. Buyers now have to factor in TAX. I thnk they should reflect that to the hammer price to see for future sales. Lets bring the BP (buyers premium) back down to 10-15 percent. And while we are at it, all AHs should use a private insurance company to pass on to the buyers. Instead of passing on actual Fedex or UPS insurance cost which is another 3-5 percent of the declared value.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:54 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This is an REA thread and REA charges $20 all in for shipping. Hooray for them.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This is an REA thread and REA charges $20 all in for shipping. Hooray for them.
And they ship quickly. Great customer experience.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Maybe we will see AHs absorb some of the cost soon. Buyers now have to factor in TAX. I thnk they should reflect that to the hammer price to see for future sales. Lets bring the BP (buyers premium) back down to 10-15 percent. And while we are at it, all AHs should use a private insurance company to pass on to the buyers. Instead of passing on actual Fedex or UPS insurance cost which is another 3-5 percent of the declared value.
No chance AH's start reducing their BP's to offset tax, why should/would they take on that burden? Guessing they all already have private insurance, the shipping costs they charge you help offset the policy costs, not just the actual shipping expense.

Maybe not REA though, shipping costs were extremely fair, looks like they are just covering actual shipping costs.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:52 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
one of the nice things about t206s is that they can always be found in affordable grades. nice job.
This from a moron that knows squat about T206s.....
Old 08-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Jeff R

Default It’s something...

I’ve been selling off a good portion of my collection for the past couple years. Just recently, tides are turning, and I’ve made my first few purchases in a very long time. I’m starting slowly, but got one pick-up in REA. It wasn’t much, may have slightly overpaid, but I’m excited to actually be on the collecting side again.

CC4A9B49-5C39-4BCD-8803-80FE80EA80D7.jpg
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 08-22-2019, 08:34 AM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
I’ve been selling off a good portion of my collection for the past couple years. Just recently, tides are turning, and I’ve made my first few purchases in a very long time. I’m starting slowly, but got one pick-up in REA. It wasn’t much, may have slightly overpaid, but I’m excited to actually be on the collecting side again.

Attachment 363275

Congrats Jeff. Good start back.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.