NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1880s Baseball Pill Box Cap?

I am guessing this type of printing on a cap wouldn't have been able to be done 135 yrs ago?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880S-Advert...item487f1ddab5

Old 05-30-2015, 07:13 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

It looks like it was printed on the material first when it was flat, then cut out and assembled. I say this because it appears the top letters of the graphic on the front are cut off and under the seam. Without seeing this in person to look at the stitching and printing I can't say if it is original to the 1880's. When I first saw it I thought it looked like someone took an old sack and cut it up to fashion into a cap. The typography looks like it is of the turn-of-the-century vintage.

I can't ever recall seeing one of these in an old photograph worn by an American delivery guy or store clerk but I suppose it is possible. The seller mentions a sign for this product in Dodge City, Kansas but to me this looks like something of English manufacture.

More importantly I don't think it is baseball related, but if real it's a really neat turn-of-the-century advertising piece.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:24 AM
Kevin O'Gara

advertising cap from the Period But I don't think it's related to baseball at all
Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
advertising cap from the Period But I don't think it's related to baseball at all
We are having a great discussion on the card side concerning Bitters Advertising (though not this type) and T206s, with respect to their printing.

Last edited by Leon; 05-30-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Clint

Leon, I have a few baseball postcards where guys are wearing advertising hats like this one. I always called them painters caps. Figured they got them at the hardware or dry goods store. I also have some that look like they are wearing train conductor hats. I guess for some of the pick up teams they wore whatever hat they could find. The guys in the white hats on the bottom pc are from a flour company. I believe they have the hats turned around so you can't see the bills. Of course the pcs are from the 1907-1910 time frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc7.jpg (68.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg abz6.jpg (69.7 KB, 204 views)
Old 05-30-2015, 03:00 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Hat is very old IMO though not sure to exact age
Old 05-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

http://cabinetofcuriosities.ca/prick...hat-ca-1890-2/
Old 05-30-2015, 06:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Thanks for the info guys....neat cap and I learn something new every day (or learn it again from forgetting it)...
Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM

Default great photo ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Leon, I have a few baseball postcards where guys are wearing advertising hats like this one. I always called them painters caps. Figured they got them at the hardware or dry goods store. I also have some that look like they are wearing train conductor hats. I guess for some of the pick up teams they wore whatever hat they could find. The guys in the white hats on the bottom pc are from a flour company. I believe they have the hats turned around so you can't see the bills. Of course the pcs are from the 1907-1910 time frame.
Clint, Great photo reference...I'm not surprised to see it...to my, eye that cap looks like nearly a dead ringer for a baseball pill box cap...albeit, one which the Prickly Ash Bitters company had the good foresight to utilize as an advertising vehicle...I really like the way the advertising is laid out...whoever designed it did a remarkable job for back then...Now all that said...I think it's very cool...but nevertheless I don't think it has the eye appeal of a real pill box cap with stripes and all...but it's a great novelty...and in terrific condition...If I could afford every little nic-knack I liked I'd certainly get it...

photo PICT3924_1200x900.jpg