NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Old Judge label question

I was looking through some of my old photos of cards i owned 15-20 years ago and came across this one of the St. Louis White's T.C. Nicholson. It had the odd label of "B.8" in front of his name. I'm assuming this was possibly for "Batting 8th" but that's kind of odd on a photo card. He also has it on his two player card but I don't know that it appears any where else in the set. Does anybody else ever remember seeing this on any other Old Judge cards?

Rob M

old judge nicholson.jpg
Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Fred

Dang Rob, can't see anything in that pic... yeah, it's a B. 8, I think it meant he was a fisherman or something like that.... ok, I think I did recall hearing it was his position in the batting order... gotta bigger scan?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Rob

Poses 3 and 4 in the oj book show the "b. 8" caption. I have some players that say "Capt.". Declaring that they bat 8th is kinda odd, almost a gratuitous slam, unless 8th was considered 2nd clean-up. Maybe some sort of printer's notation?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello Rob,

This notation is found on quite a few of the 1888 Fa cards of the St. Louis Whites as follows:

B.5 = Staley
B.6 = Cantz
B.7 = Nyce
B.8 = T.C. Nicholoson
B.9 = Alcott
B.10 = Burch
B.12 = Kenyon
B.13 = Hines
B.14 = Sproat
B.15 = Loftus
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 PM

Unfortunately that’s as big of a photo I have from 17 years ago.

So Joe, that means it has nothing to do with a batting order...so what do you think they stand for??

Rob
Old 12-07-2019, 06:28 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Rob, I don't believe the numbering had to do with batting order but instead was likely carried over from the negative to the card. Many of the surviving glass plate negatives have tape on them from the original photographer that identifies the players name and team. This piece of tape would also often include a number as a way of indexing/tracking the negatives. Gray Studio (many of the 1887 photos) numbered each player photographed, all Stump Weidman's, for example, are number 1846. Another studio, Gilbert & Bacon, numbered the Bobby Mathews example below as C.305. I suspect the Old Judge card maker accidently included these numbers in the players nameplate on the St. Louis Whites cards while comprising the St. Louis Whites composite (sheet of cards). The mistake was likely noticed and not repeated but also not corrected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 483-2 Weidman negative.jpg (37.4 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg 296-6 Mathews negative.jpg (42.5 KB, 375 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 12-07-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Very good information Joe! Thanks.

Rob M
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Rob, I don't believe the numbering had to do with batting order but instead was likely carried over from the negative to the card. Many of the surviving glass plate negatives have tape on them from the original photographer that identifies the players name and team. This piece of tape would also often include a number as a way of indexing/tracking the negatives. Gray Studio (many of the 1887 photos) numbered each player photographed, all Stump Weidman's, for example, are number 1846. Another studio, Gilbert & Bacon, numbered the Bobby Mathews example below as C.305. I suspect the Old Judge card maker accidently included these numbers in the players nameplate on the St. Louis Whites cards while comprising the St. Louis Whites composite (sheet of cards). The mistake was likely noticed and not repeated but also not corrected.
Joe,

Is that little nugget in the OJ Bible? If not, I'm going to have to print it and toss it in the good book. If you guys ever publish an addendum, then this is would be a great entry.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Dang Rob, can't see anything in that pic... yeah, it's a B. 8, I think it meant he was a fisherman or something like that.... ok, I think I did recall hearing it was his position in the batting order... gotta bigger scan?
Can’t let a great response about being a fisherman go unnoticed and unappreciated by at least 1 person.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Paul Winter

Nicholson batted leadoff in all of the Whites games, so it can't be batting order.

Besides the Whites players listed as B5 through B15 (excepting B11), the following players were with the Whites that spring:
Tug Arundel (who got into town late in April after being released from Indianapolis, with whom he is pictured in the set), Jake Beckley, Jack Crooks, Tom Dolan (photographed in a Whites uniform, but identified with the Browns - he went with the Browns on their road trip to Memphis and New Orleans in April, but was always intended to be with the Whites once the season started), Joe Herr, and Jerry McCormick. Five players, five 'missing' numbers (ignoring Arundel, who likely was signed after the photos were taken).

One other note about the timing of the photos. There was a player in camp that spring with the Whites named F.B Weikart. He played in a couple of games and then was released by April 6, when he signed with Houston. He is not included in the set at all, which makes me think he was never photographed. That would set the date for the photos in April of 1888. Also, there is some suggestions in the local papers that Sproat was late to camp because of illness. He didn't pitch at all until the Whites second game of the season, on May 1. This would be another indication that the photos weren't taken until the middle of April. Arundel didn't arrive in St. Louis until late April, and Somers and McCormick were released on May 4. I would say the photos were taken sometime in the two or so weeks between April 6 and about April 24, when Arundel was signed.

The Old Judge set got me really interested in the Whites and the Western Association of 1888. I wish I could afford some of their cards.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Good detective work Paul. Very interesting.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:40 AM

Great info Paul.

Do you know who their photographer was?

Rob M

Edited to add - Never mind, Joe G already covered it - Gray Studios

Last edited by ramram; 12-11-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I don’t believe Gray Studios did the Whites. I think Joe was just using Gray as an example. Gray did all the 1887 NL teams except the Giants, who were done by Carroll.

Last edited by oldjudge; 12-11-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Paul Winter

I don't know who did the photography. I've been reading newspapers from the various cities of the Western Association from 1888 to learn about that season and the players. It clearly wasn't a major league, but it does seem to have gotten wider recognition that season than a lot of other minor leagues. The inclusion in the Old Judge set is part of that.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:37 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The Western Association was a solid League. At that time there was not a lot of difference between salaries in the majors and those in other leagues, especially for non-stars. There were a lot of great players in the Western Association, and the California League for that matter. However, the Whites and the Maroons were basically minor league teams for the Browns and the Chicago Nationals.

Last edited by oldjudge; 12-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I checked my notes and Scholten did the 1888 Whites. They also did the '88 Browns and the Louisville and Cincinnati teams. Here is a Scholten cabinet of Jake Kenyon pose 260-2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68F1943F-99DE-4279-ABA6-B8404FC4777F.jpg (9.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Rob

Here's Fred Mann. Great info on this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n173fredmann051.jpg (54.7 KB, 202 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 PM
Paul Winter

I would dispute that the Whites were a minor league club for the Browns. It is true that they were owned by Chris Von der Ahe, who also owned the Browns. And when he sought to put a club into the Western Association in the fall of 1887, he was initially rejected because he wanted to use the club as a place to hold players for the Browns, and the rest of the league objected to that premise. Ultimately, after he was given a club in the league (under Manager Tom Loftus), that is not how it worked at all. Only one player moved from the Whites to the Browns - Joe Herr - after Chippy McGarr got hurt in early June. As the Whites flushed down the drain, he sold the two best players from the club (Harry Staley and future HoF Jake Beckley) to Pittsburgh instead of transferring them to the Browns. And due to the rules of the time, he was unable to transfer Jim Devlin to the Whites as he wanted to at the start of the season. Finally, after selling Staley and Beckley to Pittsburgh, and Jack Crooks to Omaha, he tried to use Devlin in a game with the Whites twice, and the Whites were forced to forfeit both games, because Devlin was ruled ineligible. The club folded at that point.

(It is unclear to me if Kenyon was formally a member of the Browns at the time he played for the Whites in April of 1888, filling in for an injured Hines. There was a transaction in the spring at some point indicating he signed with the Browns. There are also is a pair of transactions reported in late March/early April formally releasing Parson Nicholson from the Browns and signing him by the Whites.)

Jeff Kittel suggested that Von der Ahe wanted a club in the Western Association in case the American Association collapsed during the offseason of 1887-1888. The Maroons may have been in a similar boat, as there were rumors at that time that the eastern clubs were going to form a major league that offseason excluding the western clubs. Had that happened, the Western Association may have tried to claim major league status, and Von der Ahe wanted in on that.

What does this have to do with Old Judge set? I think that Goodwin saw the possibilities that the Western Association could become more than just a minor league, and so included them in their set for that reason. Otherwise, why else include a brand new, completely unestablished league?
Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewinter View Post
I would dispute that the Whites were a minor league club for the Browns. It is true that they were owned by Chris Von der Ahe, who also owned the Browns. And when he sought to put a club into the Western Association in the fall of 1887, he was initially rejected because he wanted to use the club as a place to hold players for the Browns, and the rest of the league objected to that premise. Ultimately, after he was given a club in the league (under Manager Tom Loftus), that is not how it worked at all. Only one player moved from the Whites to the Browns - Joe Herr - after Chippy McGarr got hurt in early June. As the Whites flushed down the drain, he sold the two best players from the club (Harry Staley and future HoF Jake Beckley) to Pittsburgh instead of transferring them to the Browns. And due to the rules of the time, he was unable to transfer Jim Devlin to the Whites as he wanted to at the start of the season. Finally, after selling Staley and Beckley to Pittsburgh, and Jack Crooks to Omaha, he tried to use Devlin in a game with the Whites twice, and the Whites were forced to forfeit both games, because Devlin was ruled ineligible. The club folded at that point.

(It is unclear to me if Kenyon was formally a member of the Browns at the time he played for the Whites in April of 1888, filling in for an injured Hines. There was a transaction in the spring at some point indicating he signed with the Browns. There are also is a pair of transactions reported in late March/early April formally releasing Parson Nicholson from the Browns and signing him by the Whites.)

Jeff Kittel suggested that Von der Ahe wanted a club in the Western Association in case the American Association collapsed during the offseason of 1887-1888. The Maroons may have been in a similar boat, as there were rumors at that time that the eastern clubs were going to form a major league that offseason excluding the western clubs. Had that happened, the Western Association may have tried to claim major league status, and Von der Ahe wanted in on that.

What does this have to do with Old Judge set? I think that Goodwin saw the possibilities that the Western Association could become more than just a minor league, and so included them in their set for that reason. Otherwise, why else include a brand new, completely unestablished league?
That was worth the read!
Old 12-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Nice research Paul.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Paul—Interesting read. Thanks for the information. In answer to your final question, one additional reason to include the WA was to sell cigarettes. People differentiated between brands based on the inserts they got with the purchase. By adding the WA, Goodwin added teams in states that were in neither the NL or the AA. This was a carrot for people in those states to buy Old Judge cigarettes. This is probably the same reason that Goodwin added the California League in 1889.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Here is the only known (at least to me) Whites N173. This is not surprising given the teams short 1888 tenure in the WA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3674E8C5-6476-463F-BEAB-226D134AE057.jpg (6.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Here is the only known (at least to me) Whites N173. This is not surprising given the teams short 1888 tenure in the WA.
Love the different color mounts too. Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Paul Winter

Including the Western Association did open up new markets to pitch the product in. But why only that league among the minor leagues? And three of its eight cities were covered by the NL and AA. But the goal was, of course, to sell cigarette, no disputing that. And adding the Western Association added teams in Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin, so a nice chunk of territory there.

The short tenure of the club may be why the Tug Arundel card with St. Louis never saw the light of day. They only lasted a couple of months after he was signed, and then poof, gone.