NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-03-2019, 09:37 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Question about PSA/DNA Pre-Certification

Hi Guys:

I am not much of an autograph collector or a graded collector.

However I recently won two autographed items from Heritage that had listed in the description that the autographs were Pre-Certified by PSA/DNA.

I emailed two times to Heritage with no answer to my question, so I am checking in here with the experts.

Should I have received something from Heritage to present to PSA when I get them graded?

If not, how will PSA know that they pre-certified?

What do I have to do to submit them to PSA beside filling out the normal paperwork?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Fred
Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It means you get to spend more money. Pre-Certified means you bough the right to have PSA actually certify the item for a further fee. Per PSA:

"As the winning bidder of a pre-certified autographed item, you are eligible for a discount on the LOA upgrade fee (please note, the discount applies only to authentication fees and does not include grading) if the item is submitted to PSA/DNA within 60 days of the auction close. Please send your item in with proof of purchase from the auction house (copy of receipt) note, your receipt will not be returned."

What I am unclear on is whether this means PSA will certify the item or whether PSA may reject it. For bats PSA expressly says that the pre-cert isn't the same as a full analysis but it is silent on other items. I know that the JSA auction LOA is not worth a bucket of warm spit. I've had JSA reject items sold with its auction LOA.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-03-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It means you get to spend more money. Pre-Certified means you bough the right to have PSA actually certify the item for a further fee. Per PSA:

"As the winning bidder of a pre-certified autographed item, you are eligible for a discount on the LOA upgrade fee (please note, the discount applies only to authentication fees and does not include grading) if the item is submitted to PSA/DNA within 60 days of the auction close. Please send your item in with proof of purchase from the auction house (copy of receipt) note, your receipt will not be returned."

What I am unclear on is whether this means PSA will certify the item or whether PSA may reject it. For bats PSA expressly says that the pre-cert isn't the same as a full analysis but it is silent on other items. I know that the JSA auction LOA is not worth a bucket of warm spit. I've had JSA reject items sold with its auction LOA.
Same goes for PSA, it is basically a quick cheap review that will only get you a discount on their "real" authentication service.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Fred, what I would do is post the autographs here and see if anyone is familiar with the players sig. If they think they're good, then don't waste your time with PSA...unless you plan to sell in the future. If we think it's bad, send it in to PSA and then you can get your money back from the auction house. Not sure what to say if we think it's bad and PSA says good. LOL
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Fred, what I would do is post the autographs here and see if anyone is familiar with the players sig. If they think they're good, then don't waste your time with PSA...unless you plan to sell in the future. If we think it's bad, send it in to PSA and then you can get your money back from the auction house. Not sure what to say if we think it's bad and PSA says good. LOL
Hi Mike:

Good idea. The cards I am asking about were in a recent Heritage auction,

See: https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...=MyBids-101116

I thought I read somewhere (maybe Heritage's site) that the autographs have been pre certified meaning they are good but to get them graded I need to submit them to PSA and pay, but that they were guaranteed to pass muster.

Guys, please take a look and give me your thoughts

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 12-04-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Michael

precertification with PSA or JSA is not 100% guarantee they will pass it but heritage will refund if they do not. I agree you can argue both ways if it is worth it to get a LOA. Putting it on here for those 2 guys is excellent as are guys are pros (but unpaid and doing it out of the kindness of their heart)
Old 12-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Scott Russell

I doubt Heritage is making a mistake on those particular autographs, and even a pre-cert opinion is probably also good.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Mike:

Good idea. The cards I am asking about were in a recent Heritage auction,

See: https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...=MyBids-101116

I thought I read somewhere (maybe Heritage's site) that the autographs have been pre certified meaning they are good but to get them graded I need to submit them to PSA and pay, but that they were guaranteed to pass muster.

Guys, please take a look and give me your thoughts

Fred
Both of them are authentic.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

+1
Old 12-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default PSA Certification questions

Hi Guys:

Thanks for looking and letting me know the autographs are good!

Since I am new at this PSA stuff, please indulge me with a few more answers to my questions.

What would you suggest I do? Get just the autographs authenticated? Ask for a grade for the autographs, ask for the cards and autographs to be graded etc.???

Any info or guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 12-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Michael

Unless you want to sell them, just leave them alone
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Unless you want to sell them, just leave them alone
^^This^^
Old 12-05-2019, 12:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree. Do not waste your money on them, Fred.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default PSA question

Gentlemen:

I hear you about leaving them alone unless I want to sell them. I bought the machine because I wanted it. I have the Exhibit cards and do not really collect autographs.

I was sort of figuring on selling the autographed cards to help off set the cost of the lot. They are cool though.

So, IF I do decide that I want to sell them what should I do??

Fred
Old 12-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Gentlemen:

I hear you about leaving them alone unless I want to sell them. I bought the machine because I wanted it. I have the Exhibit cards and do not really collect autographs.

I was sort of figuring on selling the autographed cards to help off set the cost of the lot. They are cool though.

So, IF I do decide that I want to sell them what should I do??

Fred
Send them to PSA without question and sell them the minute you get them back.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Agree. They are authentic and paying $150 for a formal piece of paper that also says this doesn’t change anything, but how much you paid for them. Just sit back and enjoy them.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Mike Kaminski

From my experience, the cost of authenticating pieces like these is unlikely to add more value than the cost of the authentication, and is actually likely to lose you money. There's many knowledgable collectors on this board and elsewhere that I'm sure would offer you a fair price without authentication.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Put them on our B/S/T board and see what happens. Heck, you can even ask a discounted price, and you'd still come out better than if your sold them elsewhere and paid authentication fees. Just my .02
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM

I, too was a winner of a PSA pre-certified item in the October Heritage auction, and yes I agree that the PSA pre-cert is basically the auction house' way of saying "our TPA thinks it's good, but if you want the paperwork, you'll have to spend the money for it". I called Heritage and asked if for some reason I submitted it and PSA wouldn't certify it, they said they would refund my purchase price. And I don't know if that would include my buyers premium and sales taxes, but if I have to send it back, I will insist that they refund my buyers premium and sales taxes just like they would if the transaction had been from a local merchant. I hope it doesn't come to that, but in my case I'm going to submit it because without the PSA LOA or slab, the pre certification is like an auction house letter and utterly worthless when it comes to future resale.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:28 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Guys:

I am reviving this thread because another autographed DiMaggio like the one I have and sent a link to above just sold on ebay.

See:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-1946-S...p2047675.l2557

Since all the autograph experts here agreed mine was legit I wanted to offer this to one of you at a discounted price of $500 delivered payment via PP F&F

I know this belongs in BST, but since all the photos and discussion was here, I thought it would "fit" better here.

Please PM me if interested. I can send better scans if requested

Fred
Old 03-15-2020, 09:20 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The auction listing and/or catalog page are documentation enough that the autographs were sold by a major auction house and Pre-certified by PSA/DNA.

If the guys here say the autographs are good, that's all you need. You can also list this thread as a reference.

I personally don't see the need to get them formally authenticated, unless you want them slabbed.