NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default TOP TEN HOCKEY CARDS FROM THE 1960s

The coronavirus has prevented me from doing much these days, so I decided to do this thread. In case some of you missed it, I did do one for the 1950s. It can be found here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276444

Now doing a top ten list for the 1960s was a lot more challenging. This is because a lot of cards are similar in price and popularity. Of course, everyone is going to agree with my first pick, but the ordering for the rest can be debated.

1) 1966 Topps #35 Bobby Orr

Ladies and gentlemen, Bobby Orr! The wooden borders has made this a condition sensitive card. Even a bit of wear on the corners and edges can be an eyesore. Centering is another problem. Many examples are found miscut and you can sometimes see yellow lettering above his head (the player is Bobby Hull). And sadly, many high-grade examples have been trimmed. If you do want to own a high-grade example in the future, then get your ruler ready!

2) 1965 Topps #116 Phil Esposito

I just love this card! The blue background and red Chicago jersey creates an awesome color contrast. Phil is one of the greatest powerforwards of all-time and gave opposing players hell in the slot area. In one of the worst trades in hockey history, Chicago gave him, Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield for Pit Martin, Jack Norris and Gilles Marotte. He helped the Bruins to a few cups and went on to score over 700 goals! Ouch!

3) 1960 Topps #14 Stan Mikita

Mikita was often overshadowed by his teammate, Bobby Hull, but he was one hell of a player! He won many individual awards and went on to join the 500-goal club. This card is not difficult to find in high-grade, but centering can be a challenge.

4) 1961 Parkhurst #5 Dave Keon

One of the greatest Leafs of all-time. Keon helped the team dominate the league in the 60s. He brought the cup to Toronto four times with the last one being in 1967. Toronto has not won a cup since.

5) 1968 O-Pee-Chee #89 Bernie Parent

Only Jesus saves more than Bernie Parent! Some of you might be wondering why this card didn't rank higher. Majority of these cards are found with a tilted image (as seen in the above scan). This is why high-grade well-centered examples sell for a premium. I don't think this card should be placed higher than the others, but again, this can be debated.

6) 1965 Topps #76 Yvan Cournoyer

This is the second-most popular card from the 65' Topps set. Cournoyer spent his whole career with the Canadiens and won an incredible ten Stanley Cups, second only to Henri Richard's eleven.

7) 1967 Topps #92 Bobby Orr

This second-year card has been growing in popularity over the years. Not everyone has thousands of dollars lying around for a nice-looking Orr rookie, and so this is the next best thing. High-grade examples are not too difficult to find, but centering can be a problem.

8) 1961 Topps #62 Rod Gilbert

One of the greatest Rangers of all-time. Rod never won a cup, but he still left his mark on the franchise.

9) 1965 Topps #31 Gerry Cheevers

Another beautiful card from the popular 65' Topps set. Cheesie, as he was called, is best known for being "Bobby Orr's goalie." His mask is also one of the most recognized in the sport.

10) 1963 Parkhurst #55 Gordie Howe

I never get tired of looking at this card. The smiling portrait of Howe with the American flag in the background has made this a favorite among collectors.

Last edited by samosa4u; 04-12-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Changed list
Old 03-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Jason

I've been looking forward to the 60's list and thank you for posting it! Great picks too! Of course I'll be waiting for the 70's list
Old 03-28-2020, 08:19 PM

Great list.Hard to argue with your chooses.But I Think Tony Esposito may have started his career in Montreal,where he won his only Stanley Cup as a back up.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Great list.Hard to argue with your chooses.But I Think Tony Esposito may have started his career in Montreal,where he won his only Stanley Cup as a back up.
Esposito turned pro with the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Hockey League in 1967–68 and played with the Houston Apollos in the Central Hockey League in 1968–69.[4].

He first played in the NHL for the Montreal Canadiens during the 1968–69 season.[4] He was only the third American college player selected by an NHL team.[6] Esposito made his NHL debut against the Oakland Seals, playing 26 minutes in relief of Rogie Vachon. His first NHL start was against the Boston Bruins, then led by his brother Phil.[4] The game ended in a 2–2 tie, in which Phil scored both goals for Boston and Tony made 33 saves. Esposito played thirteen regular season games, due to both Gump Worsley and Vachon being injured. However, Esposito returned to the minors when they both returned from their injuries. Worsley was injured again during the playoffs, so Esposito was called again. Tony Esposito served as backup to Vachon, dressing for all four games in the finals. As the Canadiens club was deep in goaltenders at that time, with Worsley, Vachon and other prospects in the system, Esposito was left unprotected by the Canadiens in 1969.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
I've been looking forward to the 60's list and thank you for posting it! Great picks too! Of course I'll be waiting for the 70's list
Hi, great post. My list:
1964 T Paille #92
1966 T Orr #35
1964 T Dornhoeffer #72
Old 04-01-2020, 04:22 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

It ain't pretty but it is real!
Larry
Old 04-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

can't leave The Big M off the list:

#2 for the most goals scored in the 1960s. Maybe not this card, but at least one of them over Dave Keon or Yvan Cournoyer...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-01-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I never knew that Tony played for the Habs! Thanks for letting me know this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
can't leave The Big M off the list:

#2 for the most goals scored in the 1960s. Maybe not this card, but at least one of them over Dave Keon or Yvan Cournoyer...
I disagree with you. First of all, his rookie card is very sought-after, but it is from 1957. Frank's cards from the 1960s sell for very little money due to low demand. It wouldn't make any sense to put one of these cards over the rookies of Keon and Cournoyer.

Thank you for your post.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
It ain't pretty but it is real!
Larry
Thank you for sharing.

If prices start dropping this year, then I suggest you upgrade this card to something in the G-VG range. It'll be worth it.

Anyone else have an Orr they want to share?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Thank you for sharing.

If prices start dropping this year, then I suggest you upgrade this card to something in the G-VG range. It'll be worth it.

Anyone else have an Orr they want to share?
I assume you mean an ORR RC, and if you do, all I can say is, I wish!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I assume you mean an ORR RC, and if you do, all I can say is, I wish!
My friend, I'm pretty sure if you sold your Mantle, you could use that money to buy A LOT of high-end vintage hockey cards, including the Bobby Orr rookie.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
My friend, I'm pretty sure if you sold your Mantle, you could use that money to buy A LOT of high-end vintage hockey cards, including the Bobby Orr rookie.
Yes, you are likely correct.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I never knew that Tony played for the Habs! Thanks for letting me know this!

I disagree with you. First of all, his rookie card is very sought-after, but it is from 1957. Frank's cards from the 1960s sell for very little money due to low demand. It wouldn't make any sense to put one of these cards over the rookies of Keon and Cournoyer.

Thank you for your post.
So money is the only criteria?

Or not...
Old 04-03-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
So money is the only criteria?
I read it as the top 10 players that started their career in the 1960's(rookie cards).
If not we would certainly include a lot of players that were really at their peak in
the 60's even though they began their NHL career in the 50's,Payers like
Howe(really the 40's), Plante,Sawchuck,Horton,Beliveau, and the list goes on.

Last edited by camaro69; 04-03-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:58 AM

It is obvious you value a player's rookie card above everything else. That seems to be the mindset of virtually all Canadian collectors, as well as a penchant for autographed cards. Now please, this is not a criticism, rather an observation I have noticed from years of collecting. I feel it would be better to include the word "rookie" in your thread's title.

All the best to you, sir. Happy collecting. --- Brian Powell
Old 04-11-2020, 01:05 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
It is obvious you value a player's rookie card above everything else. That seems to be the mindset of virtually all Canadian collectors,
CORRECTION: It is the mindset of MOST collectors (not only Canadians!) Go look at the Top 200 Sportscards in the Hobby by Joe Orlando - an amazing book - and you'll see that most of the cards are rookies. Go look at the want-lists online and you'll see that most cards are rookies. People want rookies!

Now again, there is no such thing as a perfect list and everything can be debated. However, if somebody is going to tell me that a $15 card should have made the list - a card that no hockey collector gives a crap about except for him - then I am going to disagree.

If somebody tells me that the 1963 Parkhurst #55 Gordie Howe should have made the list, a non-rookie, then that's a pretty good pick! Here is the card, by the way:

This card is both beautiful and popular.

Thank you for your comment
Old 04-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

The list has been updated*
Old 04-11-2020, 02:00 PM

Sir, you are absolutely correct. Among my fellow American collectors, the far majority of them put a player's rookie card at the top of the list for value and importance. I do not share their belief in a rookie's importance, but I acknowledge that this trend, which grew in the late 1970s in the mainstream hobby, has become firmly established. As I stated in my previous post, this is not meant to be a criticism, but an observation. Though I do not share their valuation for the rookie, that's beside the point. Moreover, it means I will not be competition for them in their struggle to secure those rookie cards that they so feverishly desire.

Have a swell day, friend, and a blessed and meaningful Resurrection Day celebration. Since you named him first, maybe some time I will tell you of the time I purchased 2 1966-67 Bobby Orr rookie cards for the non-princely sum of about a dime each. As Maurice Chevalier sang, "Yes, I remember it well."

---Brian Powell

PS---I sincerely congratulate you, buddy, for your ultra-beautiful 1963-64 Parkhurst Gordie Howe. Gord never looked better. Thanks for sharing that baby us; what a beauty!

Last edited by brian1961; 04-11-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:33 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Since you named him first, maybe some time I will tell you of the time I purchased 2 1966-67 Bobby Orr rookie cards for the non-princely sum of about a dime each. As Maurice Chevalier sang, "Yes, I remember it well."
WHAT??? Please share it with us, sir.

Quote:
PS---I sincerely congratulate you, buddy, for your ultra-beautiful 1963-64 Parkhurst Gordie Howe. Gord never looked better. Thanks for sharing that baby us; what a beauty!
This card is beautiful, popular, expensive, etc. I should have added it to the list before! Anyhow, if there are any big cards from this decade which you think I missed out on, then please do let me know. Somebody on this forum did mention to me that I should have added the Topps TEST Bobby Orr rookie, but man, I just don't know ... It is a test card, and I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:38 PM

1) I wouldn't be too concerned about the Topps 1966-67 Bobby Orr test issue. For one, so little is known about how these were issued, as well as the fact the front of the card is precisely the same as the common Canadian Topps. I think maybe super collector Keith Olbermann had written some significant things on the test issue, but if it appeared somewhere on the boards, I'm sorry to say I do not recall that.

2) A top 10 could be expanded to top 25 easily. There's several of those 1964-65 Topps tall boys that I find terrific in appearance --- Hull, Mikita, Sawchuk, though Howe looks horrible with a huge unsmiling head shot and a bandaid on his forehead, as I recall.

I also like the design of the 1967-68 and 1968-69 Topps. The Bruins particularly look classy with that deep pinkish-purple background, and their black home uniforms, respectively.

One of my personal favorite cards of Bobby Hull, for instance, is the 1961-62----the pose, the striking design of the card, and the combination of that deep blue background with Bobby's home uniform, and particularly his grinning face looking right into our eyes----PERFECTION. The almost impossible part is finding an example that is dead-centered. That beauty is an ABSOLUTE BEAST to find dead-centered. It was also the year after the Hawks' lone Stanley Cup, as well as the first year Bobby scored 50, tying him with The Rocket and Geoffrion.

3) In the mid-60s, I was a tween growing up in Arlington Heights, Illinois. I had become a rabid hockey fan, particularly of the Black Hawks. But I was a strange fan, as I admired the stars from all the other teams. Hockey cards were NOWHERE to be found in my northwest Chicago suburb. We got all the baseball, except for the last series, it seemed. We also got most of the non-sport and football---no problem. But hockey---forget it!

To deal with my 7th series baseball frustration, I happened upon an ad for some mail order dealers. I soon noticed that The Trading Card Company in Farmington Hills, Michigan carried hockey cards. My first batch would have been the 1965-66 Topps. I ordered most of the Black Hawks and the stars I liked, which were considerable in number.

Come 1966-67, many of the kids at school (junior high school for me) were talking about this 18-year old phenom playing for Boston. My dear father talked to a neighbor down the block who had Hawk season tickets. He wanted to take me to a game. In theory, the great Hawks of 1966-67 were playing the lowly Boston Bruins. It was about March 23, and my dad, mom, and I went to the old Chicago Stadium. It was a great game. Bobby Hull scored, and it was indeed deafening when he did. Fans were screaming with delight and joy! Yet it seemed the Bruins were making a game of it ALL BECAUSE OF THEIR 18-YEAR OLD ROOKIE, BOBBY ORR. He seemed to be in every play, and made it difficult for the Hawks to get close to the Bruin net. He was all over the place, wreaking havoc for this great Hawk team. Of course, I was watching Bobby Orr all the time, mesmerized by his play.

So, about this same time, I sent off my order of Topps 1966-67 hockey cards to The Trading Card Company. All cards were only about 8-10 cents apiece. That's right, Hull and Orr cost the same as a bench-warmer. I bought 2 of Bobby Orr, for some reason. I wish I can tell you I still have them; alas, no. One got lost, and the other I sold for about $1,300 in the early 1990s. I miss that card, of course, but there's another Bobby Orr I would love to get if the opportunity ever arises, and I'm well fixed enough with discretionary funds to buy it, or do the auction dogfight for.

This has brought back some great memories. Most of all, it was a special time with my dear father and mother. My poor dad would lose his life a little over a year later in a helicopter crash, working on assignment as an NBC News motion picture cameraman.

So, that's my story. Wish it ended better, but I wish other things ended differently, as you can imagine. My dad's death was a shattering blow for our family.

Again, all the best to you, sir. Best regards, Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-11-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I was born in 1983, and so I missed seeing all the hockey greats. For example, if you look at the top five, and these guys are Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux and M. Richard, well, three of them were before my time. I also missed seeing Gretzky and Lemieux in their prime, so I'm not going to count them either. In the end, all I have left are the stories, sir. Stories, which get passed down to the younger generation by folks like you. Where would this hobby be without the amazing stories? Think about it. Would somebody spend thousands of US dollars on a high-end Orr rookie without hearing the stories first? Definitely not!

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your father. My father is such a huge part of my life and if he had passed away, like twenty years ago, oh man, my life would have turned out pretty crappy! I'm very sorry you had to suffer like that. But it is awesome that you have such great memories with him. Watching Hull battle it out with Orr during his rookie season? Wow, just wow. It can't get any better than that!

You are right regarding Topps Test issue. Not much is known about it. One guy, who has been in the hobby for decades and has written a few books, believes they were issued in 1967. If that is true, then ummm ... is that Topps Test Orr still a rookie then? More research is definitely needed.

Now since we are talking about Orr, let me say this: I did get a PM this morning and the gentleman told me that his second year card should have made the list. First I looked at the cost. I do own a dead-centered PSA 7 which I purchased many years ago for under $300. Today, I would say it's probably worth closer to a thousand, no? Also, 67-68 was the last season where there was only one set of hockey cards. After this, both Topps and O-Pee-Chee started printing their own sets and that ruined everything in my opinion! And finally, it's a beauful-looking card. I have decided to add it to the list.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"Preferred by those who like it best."

That about sums it up. Me, personally, I am not a fan of a butt-ugly RC over a slightly later beautiful classic card. If you had to own a card that you could never sell, just enjoy, would you rather have a Howe Parkhurst RC or a 1954 Topps? I know how I answered that question:

Or not...
Old 04-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
"Preferred by those who like it best."

That about sums it up. Me, personally, I am not a fan of a butt-ugly RC over a slightly later beautiful classic card. If you had to own a card that you could never sell, just enjoy, would you rather have a Howe Parkhurst RC or a 1954 Topps? I know how I answered that question:
I'll tell you what happened: for about ten years, there wasn't a single hockey set issued in Canada. So, when the 51' Parkies came out, they were a huge hit. And yes, in comparison to the other hockey cards issued during this period, I would say that they are very ugly indeed. They are small in size, have blank backs, very little color, registration issues, centering issues - the list goes on and on. But what makes this set so popular is the fact that ninety-two percent of it consists of rookies. For example, Rocket Richard entered the league in 1942, and Gordie Howe in 1946, but because there were no sets issued during those years, this means that their rookies didn't come out until 1951.

The 1954 Topps set is stunning to look at. This set has all the qualities that the 51' Parkies are missing. However, the one issue - a huge issue - with this set is the fact that only the American teams were printed. So, in other words, there were no Canadiens and no Maple Leafs. Boston, Chicago and New York were crappy teams during this period. Detroit dominated the league from 1950 to 1955, so this is the only team that stands out from this set.

Anyhow, the 54' Topps Howe was always on my mind, and now I have decided to add it to my 1950s list which can be found below:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...47#post1970747
Old 04-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Samosa4u---- Thank you for your condolence and compassion. I find the great people of Canada are beautiful that way. Wishing you the very best always, sir.

I would encourage you to maintain your close relationship with your dear father. Not to be morbid or anything, but let's face it, none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

Your inclusion of the 1967-68 Topps Bobby Orr is a valid one. The design, the unusual and attractive background color, and especially the super photo of Bobby. As you know, Topps was notorious for re-using photos to the point of wretched redundancy. That's one reason the 67-68 Bobby Orr is special, 'cause the photo was used there first, and the best occurrence of that photo. Moreover, this same season the Bruins were to become very good, very big, and very bad. They also changed their home uniform color to black, which added to their new persona. My Black Hawks general manager, Tommy Ivan, saw to that with his infamous trade in the spring of '67, dealing out Phil Esposito, Kenny Hodge, and Freddie Stanfield. Yes, we got Pit Martin, but nobody else panned out; whereas, Boston got players that BLOSSOMED MARVELOUSLY. As if the Bruins weren't getting "good enough", the 67/68 season marked the rookie year of Derek Sanderson; he was something else. Though he dished out a few cheap shots here and there, he was a darling to the Bruin fans. A special show ALWAYS began when a Bruin went to the penalty box, for their penalty killing line was gruesome to have to face down. Sinden would send out Sanderson at center, and Ed Westfall, and I now forget who else, but I believe Bobby Orr was among that sterling five. They were so crazy good at scoring short-handed goals and humiliating the power play of the opposition. Bruin fans relished their chip on their shoulder, constant aggressive play. The only time they really failed was went Montreal humiliated the Big Bad Bruins during the Stanley Cup semi-final. No one, except perhaps Montreal fans, saw that coming. Captain Jean Beliveau dazzled everyone and his swan song Cup was unforgettable.

Not to change the subject, but it reminds me of the Cubs trade of Lou Brock in '64. The thing is, the Cubs had years to do something with Lou, but they never had a vision for him, and he seemed to languish in Chicago. Once a Cardinal, Lou took off......... and finally stopped at Cooperstown.

Nearly everyone for the Black Hawks played in the shadow of Bobby Hull. Once gone, and heavily relied upon, Phil, Kenny, and Fred all meshed with Bobby Orr, and there were lots of others of course, and the Bruins best dynasty unfolded. Sorry, friend, long post, and I gotta eat and go to work.

Really, that's one reason Adam's choice of the 1954-55 Topps Gordie Howe is a good one, because that superb full-length photo of Gord just glows, and he's lookin' right into your eyes. I love it, though I don't own that beauty.

Take care, friend. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Great stories, Ranjodh and Brian. I am really enjoying them and learning a lot in the process.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, I don't recall seeing Orr play, or many other greats, but I know I did growing up watching hockey with my Father and Uncle's.

They were all Montreal CDN fans so those, more than likely, were the games I watched the most, and most likely on Saturday nights when I was allowed to stay up a bit later?

Speaking of OPC/Topps cards, were all Topps hockey cards printed in Canada in those mid+ 60's or were some actually printed in the U.S.?
When I see mid 60's Topps cards of Orr, and others, and see they were printed in Canada, to me, that means they're OPC cards.
I am likely offside with that thinking as I believe "true" OPC cards have french writing on the back but I've always been curious about that.

And speaking of 67-68 Topps Orr cards, I am currently looking for any of those 3 from the 67-68 set, especially the Calder Memorial Trophy card, which has always appealed to me the most for some reason?

I know I have likely had those cards in my hand at one point or another, maybe even an Orr rookie at one time, but unfortunately the only card I have remaining from my childhood of Orr is his 68-69 James Norris Trophy card.
Not in the best of condition, as you can see, but I'm glad, somehow, through the years, I was able to retain it.

Ranjodh, I appreciate you making these threads, and Brian, like usual, I enjoy reading your great write ups about the game of hockey and what you've experienced and can remember.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobby Orr JNT 68-69.jpg (56.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Speaking of OPC/Topps cards, were all Topps hockey cards printed in Canada in those mid+ 60's or were some actually printed in the U.S.?
When I see mid 60's Topps cards of Orr, and others, and see they were printed in Canada, to me, that means they're OPC cards.
I am likely offside with that thinking as I believe "true" OPC cards have french writing on the back but I've always been curious about that.
Topps printed their own hockey cards in the 1950s, however, they were only sold in Canada. Starting in 1961, O-Pee-Chee started printing them (under licence from Topps). Then, in 1968, Topps printed their own set (sold in the US) and O-Pee-Chee printed their own set as well (sold in Canada). However, the O-Pee-Chee set would be released a few months after the Topps set. This is why O-Pee-Chee always had a more updated set.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:34 AM

I know it never happened, but I wish Bee Hive had made a Bobby Orr in the last month of their long-running promotion, during the spring of 1967. I understand 1967 was their last year. A Bee Hive Bobby Orr, with an outstanding smiling full-length portrait or cool action shot would have been a top 10 for sure. Its rarity would have put it out of our reach today, but what a thought!

--- Brian Powell
Old 04-14-2020, 12:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Topps printed their own hockey cards in the 1950s, however, they were only sold in Canada. Starting in 1961, O-Pee-Chee started printing them (under licence from Topps). Then, in 1968, Topps printed their own set (sold in the US) and O-Pee-Chee printed their own set as well (sold in Canada). However, the O-Pee-Chee set would be released a few months after the Topps set. This is why O-Pee-Chee always had a more updated set.
Thank you!

Quote:
I know it never happened, but I wish Bee Hive had made a Bobby Orr in the last month of their long-running promotion, during the spring of 1967. I understand 1967 was their last year. A Bee Hive Bobby Orr, with an outstanding smiling full-length portrait or cool action shot would have been a top 10 for sure. Its rarity would have put it out of our reach today, but what a thought!

--- Brian Powell
Yes, that would have been nice, and I'm sure that would have helped Beehive then and today with their popularity.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:52 PM
And.y Ell.is

I'm currently working on the 1966-67 hockey set and the 67 -68 hockey set. I just love vintage hockey, tough to come by around here. I went to the Toronto show a few years ago, what a blast more hockey than anyplace else !
Old 04-19-2020, 04:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceplay sport View Post
I'm currently working on the 1966-67 hockey set and the 67 -68 hockey set. I just love vintage hockey, tough to come by around here. I went to the Toronto show a few years ago, what a blast more hockey than anyplace else !
It's unfortunate, due to the covid pandemic, that the show is postponed/cancelled this spring.

A recent/newer friend of mine that I met at our summer vacation park was going to come with me this spring as I think I rekindled his desire to start to collecting again?

I have, for the most part, have been more focused on hockey than baseball lately so I was really hoping to go as well so I could focus on that this year, rather than baseball.
Wasn't meant to be I guess.