NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-10-2019, 02:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup.... That's it, Mike!

Last edited by perezfan; 12-10-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
I think I have the answer: it's the Trench-Sportservice partnership. By the 1940s, Trench was making some of the best pennants on the market. Their artwork was tops; as were their production methods. All they needed was a marketplace to sell their merch in.

The Tigers were one of the first teams to really give them that. That's because the Tigers were the first team to partner with Sportservice. Once Navin Field's ballpark concession stands were run by Sportservice in the 1930s, that opened the door for Trench's pennants. Trench seems to have capitalized on things by the early 1940s, making some really cutting edge pennants for their exclusive use.

If you look at 1940s Tigers pennants, I suspect many were made by Trench. Whereas other Trench pennants from this era utilized generic ballpark designs, their Tiger ones featured custom renderings of Briggs Stadium. Several different ones, in fact.

By the 1950s Trench was making stadium pennants for other teams; but, early on, not so much. The Tigers enjoyed early access to Trench pennants via Sportservice; and that connection seems to have generated some really special pennants for them and them alone.

I think that best explains why Tiger fans have it so good when it comes to terrific pennant designs.
Domer... this is AWESOME stuff! Thank you!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 AM
Rob

More than a half a MILLION views of this page!

I should have something to contribute, shortly...
Old 12-11-2019, 10:44 AM

I think we are about ready for “Hey, Pennant Guys - The Movie”
Old 12-11-2019, 10:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'm the Giants guy!
True that...

But Rob... outside of silk-screening new Giants pennants myself, I don't think I could ever come up with anything you don't already have! (maybe a few New York Giants). Stay tuned...
Old 12-11-2019, 10:52 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I think we are about ready for “Hey, Pennant Guys - The Movie”
I want to played by Clooney.

But the studio said they're thinking more along the lines of Kevin James.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I want to played by Clooney.

But the studio said their thinking more along the lines of Kevin James.
I would vote for Clooney playing you in the movie Mark, provided you consider me if you’re selling any Cubs pennants. 😂
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 12-11-2019, 12:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk View Post
i would vote for clooney playing you in the movie mark, provided you consider me if you’re selling any cubs pennants. 😂
deal! :d
Old 12-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Mike Kendall

Speaking of Cubs pennants, here are a couple of scarce ones (at least I hadn’t seen them before) recently acquired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D052171A-2BC7-4EF3-84F8-602F7BFD10E0.jpg (14.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 587A6EE9-CF5D-4C40-A155-FCBDC74AD7B1.jpg (13.4 KB, 281 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very cool...

I have both, but regarding the red one on the right... mine has orange graphics against black felt. I think yours is rarer, Mike.... Two beauties!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
True that...

But Rob... outside of silk-screening new Giants pennants myself, I don't think I could ever come up with anything you don't already have! (maybe a few New York Giants). Stay tuned...
I'll bet you might....out of your 400!
Old 12-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Mike,
I assume you got those out of that collection that was sold on eBay. There were some really nice ones in that group. I remember those. I have only seen the black and orange one that Mark described.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Mike,
I assume you got those out of that collection that was sold on eBay. There were some really nice ones in that group. I remember those. I have only seen the black and orange one that Mark described.
The black one was from the collection that recently sold, but the red one was from another source. That collection did have a lot of really nice pieces.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
The black one was from the collection that recently sold, but the red one was from another source. That collection did have a lot of really nice pieces.
Was this the eBay auction that only had one picture of a pile of pennants, just showing the one on top, with no description of the rest? What else was in there?
Old 12-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Was this the eBay auction that only had one picture of a pile of pennants, just showing the one on top, with no description of the rest? What else was in there?
No, it was sold individually.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Here’s a question. Why do the Tigers have the most attractive pennants ... far and away. Probably the most variations, too, and the most dated pennants that do not commemorate a championship. But I don’t know of any scroll pennants of theirs besides the funky 1940 and the ‘45.
Here’s that Raspberry colored Tigers Scroll I alluded to. Don’t have time to research the year, but it’s pretty unique. I don’t think I’ve seen another.

Was not looking to sell, but $350 shipped, if anyone wants it. The spine is clean (that’s just a shadow).

I’ll be listing a bunch of others on the BST later today, in all price ranges. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A8215B1-01B7-42B0-9B2A-2734AEA84B13.jpg (17.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 562DB626-BFBC-443B-9EE6-32A57C72D2DA.jpg (19.8 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:21 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Speaking of Cubs pennants, here are a couple of scarce ones (at least I hadn’t seen them before) recently acquired.
Mike...
I found one that’s very similar to your red one, but the Bear and Font are both a bit different. It’s a very early pennant... late ‘20s to early ‘30s. The spine is black on black... very cool. Some typical crackling to the painted Orange graphics, but no holes, rips, tears or restoration. This one is a real antique.

Drop me a PM if interested. I’ll be listing it on the BST with a number of other vintage pennants. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 452D0CF4-6784-4C59-AC99-FDB149B00810.jpg (17.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 91CC205E-77C2-4346-AA35-DC69F08CA2D4.jpg (15.1 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Here’s that Raspberry colored Tigers Scroll I alluded to. Don’t have time to research the year, but it’s pretty unique. I don’t think I’ve seen another.

Was not looking to sell, but $350 shipped, if anyone wants it. The spine is clean (that’s just a shadow).

I’ll be listing a bunch of others on the BST later today, in all price ranges. Thanks!
Mark ... nice pennants in “wave one”. Let me know if any of your oversized beauties make it into “wave two” so I can go take out a second mortgage!
Old 12-16-2019, 04:31 AM
d.ean

I acquired the first pennant for "the wheel" project. Many thanks to ooo-ribay, for forwarding good deals on ebay!
Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
I think I have the answer: it's the Trench-Sportservice partnership. By the 1940s, Trench was making some of the best pennants on the market. Their artwork was tops; as were their production methods. All they needed was a marketplace to sell their merch in.

The Tigers were one of the first teams to really give them that. That's because the Tigers were the first team to partner with Sportservice. Once Navin Field's ballpark concession stands were run by Sportservice in the 1930s, that opened the door for Trench's pennants. Trench seems to have capitalized on things by the early 1940s, making some really cutting edge pennants for their exclusive use.

If you look at 1940s Tigers pennants, I suspect many were made by Trench. Whereas other Trench pennants from this era utilized generic ballpark designs, their Tiger ones featured custom renderings of Briggs Stadium. Several different ones, in fact.

By the 1950s Trench was making stadium pennants for other teams; but, early on, not so much. The Tigers enjoyed early access to Trench pennants via Sportservice; and that connection seems to have generated some really special pennants for them and them alone.

I think that best explains why Tiger fans have it so good when it comes to terrific pennant designs.
Interesting. As a newbie to this niche collectible, I was wondering why for the era in question (a) Tiger pennants seemed far cooler than the rest (2) there seems to be a ton of Tiger pennants.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Rob

A while back, Marc (bocca) posted a picture of a previously unseen SF Giants "Keezer" pennant. I'm not sure if Marc's pennant was marked, bit it is indeed a Keezer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (77.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg keezer.jpg (77.6 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.38.29 AM.jpg (68.1 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Marc

Nice to see the stamp. The seller also had, if I recall correctly, a Rangers and Royals pennant from the same series. I figured they were equally rare. Maybe should have bought them but I try to stick with SF and Houston. And, of course, there is the Houston pennant from this same series (I think Greg has this one). I think I've seen it come up for auction once or twice, and it has sold for good money. The most recent one (not the one below) had some moth or silverfish damage and still sold for around $500. I'd love to get one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keezer Astros.jpg (75.6 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 12-18-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Rick

Default on the topic of Keezer

1969 keezer 75%.jpg
1969 keezer stamp 50%.jpg

Rick
Old 12-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Rob

Love these Keezers (even the D**gers)!
Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Nice to see the stamp. The seller also had, if I recall correctly, a Rangers and Royals pennant from the same series. I figured they were equally rare. Maybe should have bought them but I try to stick with SF and Houston. And, of course, there is the Houston pennant from this same series (I think Greg has this one). I think I've seen it come up for auction once or twice, and it has sold for good money. The most recent one (not the one below) had some moth or silverfish damage and still sold for around $500. I'd love to get one of these.
Do you guys have the red cloth Astros Pennant with the white Astronaut? It's my favorite Astros pennant, and I believe their first-ever.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Marc

I don't have that red one, but I think Greg does. His is the only one I've seen. Also Keezer?

And, Rick, I assume that your Dodgers pennant is also super tough to find?

Last edited by bocca001; 12-18-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Rob

I've only seen that Dodgers pennant on eBay once...and it was just a couple weeks ago. I believe this is that exact one. And if it is...it was a nice deal.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I don't have that red one, but I think Greg does. His is the only one I've seen. Also Keezer?

And, Rick, I assume that your Dodgers pennant is also super tough to find?
Marc, yep, here you go along with my other Keezers. The Phillies is my favorite …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5928.jpg (84.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5930.jpg (77.4 KB, 204 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg...

Attached is a pic of a pic you sent me, waaaaay back before the days of eBay. I think this was in 2000 or 2001, so nearly 20 years ago!

You highlighted the Astros Pennant as “one of the coolest you’d ever seen”. I picked up mine about 6 months before you sent me this photo (along with the rare Keezer Angels). It looks like your collection has grown just a bit since then!

Ps. Also pictured is that great Pirates Pennant with the Ship that you love! We sure had to work lots harder, and network through the mail before the days of eBay and Internet Auctions. And now that it’s much easier, the good stuff has pretty much dried up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9D1BC6C7-9821-4D6B-BB43-71056B61E481.jpg (21.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg C012CB72-42F4-444A-A342-90509C05CF5D.jpg (17.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg F070F965-9F41-437A-866D-65BA46D85447.jpg (18.3 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 12-18-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I've only seen that Dodgers pennant on eBay once...and it was just a couple weeks ago. I believe this is that exact one. And if it is...it was a nice deal.
Rob, yes, it was the one on ebay. Someone actually bought it with a $15 BIN within hours of its initial listing when it wasn't listed as a Keezer, then relisted it to flip it a few weeks later as a Keezer. I'm fairly new to pennant collecting (I have bought a few over the years, but don't really know much about them), so when I saw it relisted I asked Kyle for some info on Keeezer's, which was extremely helpful. And of course the info provided by all of you on this thread is terrific.

I can't really speak to the rarity, but I really like the simplicity of the graphics.

Rick
Old 12-18-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Greg...

Attached is a pic of a pic you sent me, waaaaay back before the days of eBay. I think this was in 2000 or 2001, so nearly 20 years ago!

You highlighted the Astros Pennant as “one of the coolest you’d ever seen”. I picked up mine about 6 months before you sent me this photo (along with the rare Keezer Angels). It looks like your collection has grown just a bit since then!

Ps. Also pictured is that great Pirates Pennant with the Ship that you love! We sure had to work lots harder, and network through the mail before the days of eBay and Internet Auctions. And now that it’s much easier, the good stuff has pretty much dried up!
Mark! Whoa that’s fantastic! Yes this was before my collection went off-the-rails crazy. And there’s the Pirate ship pennant! Back then I used to go to the quarterly shows outside Philly and sell/trade, I unloaded it and quickly regretted it. Thanks for sending that pic ...

Back then there was no spelling correction on eBay and I used to check “pennent” and “penant” ... I hit the motherload one day on about 20 pennants that went dirt cheap! .... Now I’m still buying and putting them right into those big Tupperware containers ... I need help!
Old 12-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I'm fairly new to pennant collecting (I have bought a few over the years, but don't really know much about them), so when I saw it relisted I asked Kyle for some info on Keeezer's, which was extremely helpful.
Kyle has not addressed Keezer in his blog, has he? If not, he needs to!
Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Rob

Quote:
Back then there was no spelling correction on eBay and I used to check “pennent” and “penant” ... I hit the motherload one day on about 20 pennants that went dirt cheap! ....
LOL...I still do this. Did it earlier today as a matter of fact. Don't forget "Pennat". There are about 50 listings on eBay with pennat right now.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
LOL...I still do this. Did it earlier today as a matter of fact. Don't forget "Pennat". There are about 50 listings on eBay with pennat right now.
No wonder it's impossible to get anything by you guys!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Marc

Well, it's good to know that at least two of the red Astros pennants exist. Hopefully there are at least three in the world.

Here is the Houston Colts version of the pennant (or somethng close to the same version).

I am looking forward to Kyle doing his thing for Keezer. It seems like these "round" ones must have been their very last, right when having a license from MLB became required.

And I see several pennants on Greg's early wall that I'd love to find. Cool to see that pic, and cool that Mark saved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houston Colts red pennant.jpg (20.3 KB, 194 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Well, it's good to know that at least two of the red Astros pennants exist. Hopefully there are at least three in the world.

Here is the Houston Colts version of the pennant (or somethng close to the same version).

I am looking forward to Kyle doing his thing for Keezer. It seems like these "round" ones must have been their very last, right when having a license from MLB became required.

And I see several pennants on Greg's early wall that I'd love to find. Cool to see that pic, and cool that Mark saved it.
Here is an updated, panoramic view ... not high on detail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 419BE3FE-DE74-48EF-B6EE-995DC6F58EE8.jpg (20.5 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-18-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:33 PM

Close up of the “back wall” today, this is where all but one of the oversized pennants go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7179594D-D68B-453F-A765-BABAFB74E27F.jpg (20.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Rick

Greg, that is truly an amazing display!

Rick
Old 12-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Greg, that is truly an amazing display!

Rick
Thanks Rick ... it’s all I collect.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Those are some jaw-droppers for sure!

Hey Greg... How about some close-ups of the Philadelphia Athletics and Washington Senators pennants (on the oversized wall, just to the left of the sofa? Both are uber-scarce!

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Those are some jaw-droppers for sure!

Hey Greg... How about some close-ups of the Philadelphia Athletics and Washington Senators pennants (on the oversized wall, just to the left of the sofa? Both are uber-scarce!

Thanks!
Sure thing. The athletics is full sewn-on, no paint, except for the artwork on the logo. Three sets of tassels including in the middle of the wide end. Also pictured are a few others that didn't come up in earlier pics. Two more A's pennants with no paint, all stitched. I read that silk screening was patented in 1907 but not widely practiced until 1911. I wonder if that helps date them …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5956.jpg (9.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5957 (1).jpg (87.5 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5958.jpg (75.2 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-19-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:32 AM

forgot this, sorry for part cut off …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5955.jpg (20.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Rob

WOW...Amazing stuff!! Those are beautiful.

Now excuse me...I'll just put myself in the corner with my pale little collection.

Last edited by Fballguy; 12-19-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Marc

Default Two Giants pennants

I agree with Fballguy, Greg. Those are great.

I happen to have a question about series of pennants that (if I recall correctly) you collect. The pic below has two Giants pennants. I've had the one on the bottom (with the yellow felt spine) for a few years. It is somewhat larger that most pennants. It doesn't fit well into most toploaders (too thick at the tip and a bit too long... insert joke). I never really liked that the spine had taken on some black from the pennant and wondered if it was the original spine.

I picked up the one with the Orange spine this week, even with the tip damage. It is a rare pennant and I figured "what the heck... I like the orange spine better than the yellow." When it arrived, I noticed that it is smaller than my other copy and the spine has more sheen. It is, however, about the the same length as most modern pennants.

Both pennants have tip damage, which makes exact size somewhat of an estimate.

Upon receiving the second one, I wondered if it had been cut down in some way (beyond the tip). But the picture below has the pennants lined up using the image of the Giant. The yellow spine one clearly has more room between the image and the spine, suggesting that maybe it is just a bigger version.

I was wondering if the pennants in this series are known with different types of material on the spine and if they differ in size. I'd also be curious to see other versions of this same pennant (I know you have one Rob).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two Giants.jpg (77.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It certainly wasn't an exact science back then. I think they just took whatever lots of felt were available at the time (or for the best price), and then went to town. The material was relatively cheap, and likely had some variances from shipment to shipment.

Regarding the size variance, there's a good chance that the image was simply printed a little further down on the pennant, in the case of the second one. That would explain the larger gap between the spine an the graphics. You may say that the first one is still larger... but the second one is clearly altered/trimmed, so we don't really know how big it was in its original state.

Tough to put these shadowy thoughts in writing, but hopefully you get the gist of it. Pennants of this era were not cut with precision, like cards or team-issued photos. Some of these pennants came from street vendors who probably never even got inside the stadium. So there were some definite potential variances. I have lots of unaltered duplicates from the 1940s - 50s that differ in size quite a bit (just like your Giants example).

Eager to hear others' thoughts as well!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg...

Thanks for posting those... the Athletics Pennants are off the charts cool. In the very early days, I think even the Tigers took a back seat to the A's with their White Elephant Mascot. I bet that a couple of those pennants could be lone survivors. Great stuff!
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Rob

Quote:
but the second one is clearly altered/trimmed, so we don't really know how big it was in its original state.
Just curious Mark...What leads you to believe it was trimmed? I thought the tip looked artificially sharp but being felt maybe it just wore down that way. Anything else?
Old 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I agree with Fballguy, Greg. Those are great.

I happen to have a question about series of pennants that (if I recall correctly) you collect. The pic below has two Giants pennants. I've had the one on the bottom (with the yellow felt spine) for a few years. It is somewhat larger that most pennants. It doesn't fit well into most toploaders (too thick at the tip and a bit too long... insert joke). I never really liked that the spine had taken on some black from the pennant and wondered if it was the original spine.

I picked up the one with the Orange spine this week, even with the tip damage. It is a rare pennant and I figured "what the heck... I like the orange spine better than the yellow." When it arrived, I noticed that it is smaller than my other copy and the spine has more sheen. It is, however, about the the same length as most modern pennants.

Both pennants have tip damage, which makes exact size somewhat of an estimate.

Upon receiving the second one, I wondered if it had been cut down in some way (beyond the tip). But the picture below has the pennants lined up using the image of the Giant. The yellow spine one clearly has more room between the image and the spine, suggesting that maybe it is just a bigger version.

I was wondering if the pennants in this series are known with different types of material on the spine and if they differ in size. I'd also be curious to see other versions of this same pennant (I know you have one Rob).
Thanks guys …. yes this is my favorite series and yes, they seem to come in different sizes, almost as much as two inches. I have a Boston Braves with a true pointy tip that is smallish, and a Brooklyn Dodgers that is larger with a blunt tip (seemingly made that way). I'll get some pics for you. Those Giants pennants are awesome and very rare … the series seems to date to 1951-53 (due to the Cubs anniversary pennant and Dodgers NL Champs) but there's a Milwaukee Braves pennant that uses the same logo. So I guess some vendors continued some designs for a few years.

Speaking of these I saw a STL Cards pennant surface on eBay a few weeks ago in a small lot, and I debated getting it, but it was soiled pretty bad. I am still looking for both STL teams, one of our infrequent posters here would have me over a barrel if he ever wanted to sell his Browns.

Additionally, these pennants were made with tassels and a thicker spine - at least some teams were. I have Cubs and NY Giants.

I will say, since I initially got these pennants for display, because I like the artwork, I have never been a big stickler for the tip being perfect. I do know that many pennants were made with a slightly squared off tip, I have a Brooklyn Emmet Kelly pennant that is so big it barely fits in the holder and it looks like its missing another 1/2 inch with a squared tip. I agree with Mark, I think quality control was lacking with these things.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It certainly wasn't an exact science back then. I think they just took whatever lots of felt were available at the time (or for the best price), and then went to town. The material was relatively cheap, and likely had some variances from shipment to shipment.

Regarding the size variance, there's a good chance that the image was simply printed a little further down on the pennant, in the case of the second one. That would explain the larger gap between the spine an the graphics. You may say that the first one is still larger... but the second one is clearly altered/trimmed, so we don't really know how big it was in its original state.

Tough to put these shadowy thoughts in writing, but hopefully you get the gist of it. Pennants of this era were not cut with precision, like cards or team-issued photos. Some of these pennants came from street vendors who probably never even got inside the stadium. So there were some definite potential variances. I have lots of unaltered duplicates from the 1940s - 50s that differ in size quite a bit (just like your Giants example).

Eager to hear others' thoughts as well!
I noticed this even with the Collegiate pennants which were probably the highest-end made back then. My Yankees pennant seems to have Uncle Sam very close to the spine, much more so than on the two or three others I've seen (including your new pickup). It looks like a difference of almost a whole inch or so. But then there is more room to spare by the tip. It's just imperfection in printing or cutting I guess, like on mine the whole design was moved to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5959.jpg (77.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5960.jpg (72.9 KB, 171 views)
Old 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I noticed this even with the Collegiate pennants which were probably the highest-end made back then. My Yankees pennant seems to have Uncle Sam very close to the spine, much more so than on the two or three others I've seen (including your new pickup). It looks like a difference of almost a whole inch or so. But then there is more room to spare by the tip. It's just imperfection in printing or cutting I guess, like on mine the whole design was moved to the left.
Yeah.... the guy in charge of cutting and screening these was probably making about 35 cents per hour. Some are amazingly exact and consistent, but others have some definite variance.

Since these pennants cost under a buck back in the day, I don't think the attention to detail was always stellar. But that's part of why I love them so much. They're all just a bit different, and oozing with personality. Today's "stiff as a board" pennants are all precisely the same size, but that's not much fun, is it? And today's boring/generic/corporate logos cannot hold a candle to those of the past!

Last edited by perezfan; 12-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.