NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 AM
cubman1941 cubman1941 is offline
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kingsport Tennessee
Posts: 603
Default 1941 Goudey Al Todd

I am looking at 2 1941 Goudey #28 Al Todd's. One is graded Authentic with the name and position at the bottom. The other is not graded but shows the name at the top. Were there different versions printed?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2019, 08:34 AM
BabyRuth's Avatar
BabyRuth BabyRuth is offline
Jim
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: MA
Posts: 246
Default

name at the top cards are just miscuts. The 41s are a great set - The Debs Garms card seems to be the toughest of all to get.
__________________
Successful transactions with:
BlueDevil89, jim(shoelessjoe_in_hof), MMantle7,
OriolesHOF, bigfish, biggies, danf19, rjackson44,
bigfanNY, Forever Young, daves_resale_shop,
pencil1974, Brian Van Horn, BleedinBlue, Brailey,
Jobu, timn1, sterlingfox, JAP78, scmavl, leftygrove10,
TheBig6, Eric -goudeyhunter, Econteachert205,
Moonlight Graham, rats60, ValKehl, inceptus, vintagewhitesox, robkas68

Last edited by BabyRuth; 12-04-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,407
Default

They are miscuts like Jim said. If anyone ever wants to collect PreWW2 sets that are rife with miscuts, then their choice is either 1941 Goudey or E220 National Caramels.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goudey41e220miscuts 001.jpg (72.8 KB, 155 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2019, 06:36 PM
cubman1941 cubman1941 is offline
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kingsport Tennessee
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
name at the top cards are just miscuts. The 41s are a great set - The Debs Garms card seems to be the toughest of all to get.
I thought so also at first but - name team position at top correct picture below
correct picture then name team position. Did they do multiples of a player on a sheet and that is on the miscut happened? I agree these are a great set. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I thought so also at first but - name team position at top correct picture below
correct picture then name team position. Did they do multiples of a player on a sheet and that is on the miscut happened? I agree these are a great set. Thanks.
The ones I remember seeing that were miscut in that fashion had the same correct info on top and bottom as you mentioned. I assume that means the sheets had vertical rows with some card duplication.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2019, 05:12 AM
cubman1941 cubman1941 is offline
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kingsport Tennessee
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
The ones I remember seeing that were miscut in that fashion had the same correct info on top and bottom as you mentioned. I assume that means the sheets had vertical rows with some card duplication.

Brian
Brian,
Thanks.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Rascal1010's Avatar
Rascal1010 Rascal1010 is offline
Steve Asmus
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 156
Default

Jim,

I know when I was putting together my rainbow of '41 Goudey Al Todd cards, it was really tough to find examples that weren't miscut. The Todd card was not one of the SP cards, and they are relatively easy to find, just tough to find ones that aren't miscut. I may have a couple still laying around if your still looking, may be lower condition, but not miscut. Are you looking for any color in particular?

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 AM
cubman1941 cubman1941 is offline
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kingsport Tennessee
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1010 View Post
Jim,

I know when I was putting together my rainbow of '41 Goudey Al Todd cards, it was really tough to find examples that weren't miscut. The Todd card was not one of the SP cards, and they are relatively easy to find, just tough to find ones that aren't miscut. I may have a couple still laying around if your still looking, may be lower condition, but not miscut. Are you looking for any color in particular?

Steve
Steve,

I am just getting the Cubs from the '41 Goudey. I only have a few -

WARSTLER - YELLOW

TODD - GREEN and YELLOW

Thanks,

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2019, 05:11 PM
BleedinBlue BleedinBlue is offline
BRIAN C0ATS
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmington, CT
Posts: 645
Default 41 Goudey Love

I fell in love with this quirky set and now have 2 master sets plus another 150 duplicates. Miscuts seem to be more common than properly cut cards. At least in a few cases.

Nearly all the vertical name on top versions Iíve seen have the correct name in the wrong location indicating the sheet repeated players vertically. However I do own one card with a different name on top than the player pictured so this is not universal.

All the side to side miscuts Iíve seen show the player numbered next to the player pictured or the edge of the sheet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 PM
cubman1941 cubman1941 is offline
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kingsport Tennessee
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
I fell in love with this quirky set and now have 2 master sets plus another 150 duplicates. Miscuts seem to be more common than properly cut cards. At least in a few cases.

Nearly all the vertical name on top versions Iíve seen have the correct name in the wrong location indicating the sheet repeated players vertically. However I do own one card with a different name on top than the player pictured so this is not universal.

All the side to side miscuts Iíve seen show the player numbered next to the player pictured or the edge of the sheet.
Thanks much. Appreciate the information. Been collecting Cubs over 40 years and always learning - that's the fun part.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


ebay GSB