NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-29-2019, 05:33 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Default Decision SP Jeter or what other card

I know people post what if and what would you do threads on this site so here comes my first one .
Say you have $5000.00 dollars to spend . Would you buy a 1933 Goudey Ruth at the appropriate PSA grade in buyable condition or a 1993 U D SP Derek Jeter graded at a PSA 9 ( this is based on pricing research ).
Since the Ruth card is 86 years old and one must assume that there won't be a major dumping of this card on the market and it's value has probably stabilized ( except for the PSA 8 thru 10s which will continue to rise ) versus the Jeter card which has risen rapidly in the PSA 9 & 10 grades but who knows how many will appear in the market after his election and what could happen to the PSA 9 & 10s value . Will the Jeter card in PSA 9 and 10 increase , stabilize , or drop in its value ?
I know one can't predict the future but this is a large forum with many people in many different geographical areas , backgrounds , and , of course , respected opinions .
Old 11-29-2019, 07:46 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

IMO, Babe Ruth vs. anyone else is a no brainer. Fifty years from now or 100 years from now, Ruth will still be the most famous name in sports. Go with Ruth.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
IMO, Babe Ruth vs. anyone else is a no brainer. Fifty years from now or 100 years from now, Ruth will still be the most famous name in sports. Go with Ruth.
Certainly Babe Ruth v. Derek Jeter is.

If the only question is which card will go up more, then really who on earth knows, it depends on future generations of collectors and whether they still want the prewar cards.

Maybe the best buy out there is a relatively hard to find Trout like the Diamond Update, given his upside to be one of the top handful of players ever.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-29-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Certainly Babe Ruth v. Derek Jeter is.

If the only question is which card will go up more, then really who on earth knows, it depends on future generations of collectors and whether they still want the prewar cards.

Maybe the best buy out there is a relatively hard to find Trout like the Diamond Update, given his upside to be one of the top handful of players ever.
I completely understand what you are saying about the best buy possibly being an obscure Trout card. But maybe the best buy from a purely financial standpoint isn't even baseball. Ruth, Jeter and Trout aren't flying under anyone's radar.

I always like reading David Peck's posts on here about his Wrestling All-Stars collection and its explosion in value in recent years. Peck started scooping up those cards when they were worth virtually nothing, and a high-grade Hulk Hogan Wrestling All-Stars card could be had for $50. Who would have ever thought those cards would explode the way they have? I don't even understand what Magic the Gathering and Pokemon cards are, so I really don't get why some of them now sell for five figures at auction.

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-29-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I completely understand what you are saying about the best buy possibly being an obscure Trout card. But maybe the best buy from a purely financial standpoint isn't even baseball. Ruth, Jeter and Trout aren't flying under anyone's radar.

I always like reading David Peck's posts on here about his Wrestling All-Stars collection and its explosion in value in recent years. Peck started scooping up those cards when they were worth virtually nothing, and a high-grade Hulk Hogan Wrestling All-Stars card could be had for $50. Who would have ever thought those cards would explode the way they have?
Given the popularity among the general public of golf, the fact that Jack Nicklaus is the best golfer of all time by a near consensus, and the fact that he has only two issues that could be considered early cards, both of which are pretty hard to find especially the 1973 Panini -- I don't understand why those cards aren't worth a hell of a lot more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-29-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:57 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Given the popularity among the general public of golf, the fact that Jack Nicklaus is the best golfer of all time by a near consensus, and the fact that he has only two issues that could be considered early cards, both of which are pretty hard to find especially the 1973 Panini -- I don't understand why those cards aren't worth a hell of a lot more.
I never really thought about Nicklaus being undervalued, but that's because he hasn't been someone whose cards I have followed much. I know baseball will always be king when it comes to cards, but along your point about Nicklaus, I have always been amazed at how cheap Marilyn Monroe's cards are. Maybe that is because she has a ton of foreign issue cards, but her cards just seem so cheap for how iconic a name she is. She also has the intrigue of dying young. Her signed checks already sell for well into four figures.

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-29-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I'm with Eddie on this one. All things being equal, I would always go with the Ruth.

People think Jeter's HOF will boost his value, but anyone willing to spend $5K on this card (not me) already knows that. I don't see a big jump, short term or long term.

The big question, for me, would be the provenance of the card. Both are very "in demand" cards and susceptible to the trimming, etc. crap going on in our hobby.

No matter what you buy, do your homework on either of these. The very last thing you want is to drop that amount of money and later realize you've bought a trimmed/recolored/altered card.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

It's like the old Beckett days, red arrow signals sold prices have headed lower.

Heavier snow now, turning to ice

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Like a few other seasoned collectors mentioned there are a number of Jeter inserts and parallels that cost alot less and in a year or two in the right auction should do well. I am not 5k Jeter guy But I have been collecting Jeter since 95 and have a ton of cards for my personal collection. My rarest card is a 1998 topps test issue. Rare dose not always equal valuable. Last week I picked up a 2013 Heritage giant insert of Jeter that I have been looking for since it was issued.
Spend some time look at popular insert refractor or Parallel sets with a Jeter maybe even buy some raw and get them graded. Trust me it will be fun. And might just pay off.
J
Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 AM
Bill Gregory

Ruth is timeless. Jeter is overrated as far as (future) Hall of Famers go. Ruth's card is virtually guaranteed not to go down, and will continue to appreciate in value. Can the same be said about Jeter's card? Nope.

I would buy the Ruth every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:43 AM

I regret not buying the psa 10 Jeter sp...It was flying around the new for a grand...I was laughing way back then!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2019, 02:04 PM
Bret

If I had 5k to spend on a card I would buy back my Trout BC Auto 1st card that I let go for a third the price. Or a Shoeless Joe card.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:52 PM

Babe Ruth is the way to go.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:53 PM

The jeter sp 10 is super rare, I’d go with a nice 7+

Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM

Jeter is popular today, but what about in 40 years? Just my opinion but he'll never be on Ruth's level with people who didn't see him play. Even for the people who saw him play it's still hard to understand how he's achieved this status.

Last edited by packs; 01-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Decision SP Jeter or what other card

Ruth was a singular and revolutionary figure in the early history of the game. Jeter even twice as good as he was would not come close to equaling that, so I’m not sure why the comparison there. The Jeter SP is a better investment in modern than the Trout Update, if for no other reason the overall production numbers and condition sensitivity of the card. But any SP Jeter that’s not a PSA 10 is going to pale in comparison to a mid-grade ‘33 Goudey Ruth. I think much of that is self evident, or at least should be.

On the other hand sorry, but for whoever compared Jeter to Rocky Colavito, that is asinine. Due respect to Rocky, but he’s not a Hall of Famer, much less the first Yankee with 3K hits who also happened to be a 14x All-Star, 5x World Champion, and world-renowned leader of his team.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-15-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:03 PM

If you're investing in Trout it's gotta be the Bowman Rookie Auto and not the Update.

Last edited by packs; 01-15-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post

On the other hand sorry, but for whoever compared Jeter to Rocky Colavito, that is asinine. Due respect to Rocky, but he’s not a Hall of Famer, much less the first Yankee with 3K hits who also happened to be a 14x All-Star, 5x World Champion, and world-renowned leader of his team.
Colavito was my Dad's generation. I never saw him play. My dad and his friends go on about the great Rocco Colavito and I suspect that's what's going to happen to Jeter. Jeter's not well known in East Texas right now as it is.

Career OPS OPS+

Colavito .848 132
Jeter .817 115
Ruth 1.164 206
Old 01-16-2020, 06:22 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Colavito was my Dad's generation. I never saw him play. My dad and his friends go on about the great Rocco Colavito and I suspect that's what's going to happen to Jeter. Jeter's not well known in East Texas right now as it is.

Career OPS OPS+

Colavito .848 132

Jeter .817 115

Ruth 1.164 206

I do not mean to disparage Rocky Colavito. I know he’s a borderline HOF’er, and as a kid growing up in the 1980’s interested in baseball after he retired, I knew who he was.

The New York factor (which is not necessarily fair, but is a thing) aside - Jeter was a career .310 hitter with more than 3400 hits., ~70 career WAR. Colavito was a career .266 hitter with less than 1800 hits, 44 career WAR. I do not think they are in the same category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk