NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball Magazine Question

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Why aren't the inside front and back covers of the Baseball magazine considered premiums? They were obviously meant to be cut out and saved.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

To be technical, if they are what you think they might be they would be supplements. Supplements are included with an item (ala a print stuck inside a magazine) and premiums have to be sent away for (ala send three coupons and $1 to receive a print).

My opinion is that, with exceptions, a supplement isn't printed as part of the normal pages of a magazine, but is a independent thing. A loose folded over print or postcard stuck inside the magazine is something independent. There will be scarce cases where a bound page has a blank back and was clearly intended to be removed as display piece, and I can count those as supplements. Even though staple bound with the normal pages of a Sports Illustrated For Kids magazine, those SI 4 Kids card/card sheets were clearly intended to be removed as independent collectibles, as the sheets are on heavy card stock (different than the other pages) and the cards have perforated lines ... However, if a picture is on normal magazine paper and has unrelated text printed on back, that is the standard sign to me that it's a page from the publication not a supplement. The Harper's Woodcuts, for example, aren't supplements, just nice pictures printed in the magazine. If you turn over a Harper's Woodcut you'll usually find text to an unrelated article ("General Sherman's favorite parakeet fell ill last Tuesday ... ").

Even if one thinks I'm being too exclusive in defining supplement, it's the prints that are physically independent to the magazine that will have the higher value. In general, a whole page picture that is cut or torn out of a magazine will have lesser value.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The early covers, primarily those from 1908 until about 1916-17, have some of the best baseball illustrations I have ever seen. But I would hate to cut any of them up.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I have an entire scrapbook filled with interior front and back covers from Baseball Magazine from the 1920s and 30s. They definitely were collected, at least by some, in the exact manner Dan is suggesting.

-Ryan

Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Ive never seen these - anyone have any scans they would like to share?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

do you mean scans of the inside covers of Baseball Magazine?

Each of the issues I have pretty much has a cool image on the inside front cover and back cover.
(along with the great articles and photos throughout)

An old scan I still have on my computer shows one of my favorites
From the December 1925 issue (the inside back cover is actually a cool photo of Walter Johnson)....

Old 02-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JOSH

Here's an example of a very popular mag. from the mid-'30s. Typically you'll find large
collections of these cut covers. And, on the back side are some great B/W pictures of
ballplayers of that era.

The most desirable is Babe Ruth on the cover. I have it somewhere and I'll post it when I find it.

TED Z

AUG 1934

Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Here's a couple of examples from the same magazine

Inside front cover of Oct 1943 issue:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Back inside cover:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Thanks for sharing - I have seen the covers, never the inside prints though. Looks like some nice prints. It looks like the magazines that were printed in the 30s had actual b&W photos on the inside covers while the older mags had lithos/drawings (such as the matty) on the inside cover - is that accurate?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I have a half dozen or so of these mags from the late 30s and early 40s, and all the inside covers are b/w photo prints...very nice images, actually.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Here's my favorite cover of the BASEBALL Magazine from the 1930's.

On the flip side is Dizzy Dean.

TED Z