NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default The Paramount of any collection

Posted By: Dave Johnson

http://tinyurl.com/32aunf

This has to be the most unbelievable golf card ever graded to date. Regardless of what this sells for, this will be a bargain.

If I had not agreed to sell my collection, I would have definately paid an enormous price to acquire this card to be part of my very high grade 1900 Copes Set.

All I can say is wow.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

WOW indeed! Remarkable. I hate the baggy though.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

yep. It is incredible.

I have a bid in - but I see what I am up against and I know I will not get this card.
We all know who the current high bidder is.

I wonder what the reserve is... and I wonder if high bidder will look to find out by bidding against himself for a while (I'm not sure there is any other way to increasing your bid to trip a reserve?).

My guess is that the current high bidder will end up with this card - one way or another.

Any way I look at it, considering everything... I don't know that there is a better single card in all of vintage golf.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

He mentioned in his listing that the SMR is 10k so I'm assuming the reserve is at least that, probably much more. Anaboss gets what anaboss wants. Maybe it will get a 9.5 upon re-submission.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

I would personally put a value at around $12-$14K++ (not sure what others think of that valuation).

That is not to say if I had the available funds and the desire that I wouldn't pay more than that. I probably would.

An item as monumental as this does not belong on eBay.

It just goes to show that vintage golf does not have a premier auction venue.
I sure wish the cards were more prevalent at card shows and wish there was premier auction venue for vintage golf.

Lew Lipset is tops right now. I had hopes for greenjacketauctions - but their last auction was a disappointment (card-wise). The major 'baseball' auction houses seldom have cool golf items.

It is unfortunate that we find these golf gems on eBay IMO.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Johnson

I hope Anaboss does get it. (no offense to anyone else who is bidding) I have sold him a number of high grade things over the years. He assuredly has a great collection. I don't wnat to mention him by his "real name" here, but he is a great guy.

Lew is the best source here in the US, but there are plenty of other good sources...you just have to know where to look.

I think this actually would sell best on EBAY, not sure it would get close to what it SHOULD garner anywhere else....I too hope that changes in the future.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Dave,

I agree. eBay probably would be this person's best venue right now.

I just think that reality is a bit sad.

An item like this belongs in an auction house - where extended hours bidding would have two or more people duking it out, toe to toe, for hours and hours, until one person is left standing with empty pockets and the premier vintage golf card.

As far as hoping anaboss gets it... I am sure he is a great guy - I know he has an awesome collection - and I have no doubt he will get this card either through this auction or by contacting the seller after this auction is over (if reserve isn't hit).

Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

anaboss was not the high bidder when it ended.

reserve not met... I wonder what happens next.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Reserves kill auctions. The high bidder could have bid 15k for all we know and it still didn't meet the reserve. Of course it would have been scary to put it out there without one. Anaboss could have put his bid of 8.6k in, saw it didn't meet the reserve, and then said screw it. Kind of a tough card to put a price on. It's desirable and hard to find, but PSA 9's are a thin market for any card.