NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default Champions Album - Old Judge & Gypsy Queen Cigarettes

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Ok - Saw this poorly listed on eBay so I was able to win it tonight. The question is, what are the value of these. I have no intentions of selling it right now but I bid blindly (because I wanted it) so I had no idea what my bid should have been... Thanks!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

$2500 and uo if nice EX or better, no creases, original binding.
$500 or less if loose and soiled.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

as I wrote the seller and asked for more pix - the condition of the rear cover - and to ask them NOT to end the auction early as I had interest but wanted to see more about the condition. I have sold a few of these as pieces and one complete. I bought one for myself from my friend in excellent to mint for 4500.00 which was a bit stiff but fair for the condition I think. I keep it as a testimony to the lithographer's artistry and all the other reasons one comes up with to own something they could look at for free. Would be among the last of my stuff to go and I am quite happy with it. For whatever reason albums generally do not get the respect they deserve and they are quite beautiful to look at. Unfortunately you can't really look at them for fear of damaging them. Oh the joys of hobbying. I buy other albums and frame the pages - too difficult to do properly with this album. My framed albums do look awesome. Anyway I got 3 gianormous scans (back cover and 2 inside pages NOT the baseball) from the seller that unfortunately showed a something that I've had a hard time coping with in the past with this particular album. It seems that glossy and or greasy inks from the original printing have infused their way into excess paper fibers picked up from the facing pages I think - causing them to appear fuzzy and obscuring some viewing of the underlying images. I find this kind of thing to be a distraction. I have tried a couple of different conservators and my own ministrations as well to no avail.. I would never want to alter something unless I was keeping it - it needed to be done - it could be undone. There. I've said it. Still couldn't find anyone to remedy the condition. My latest thought is that some sort of application might be able to soak into the fibers and make them opaque. I tried water and it worked but only for a second or two As for the prices I usually am successful buying them in vg (damage mostly confined to exteriors as they are the classically involved interactive points) in order to sell the individual pages - at around 600.00 to 900.00. As to your buy Jon - The rear cover on the scan I got that was cropped looked quite nice and other than the bend so did the front cover. The inside pages did exhibit some fade to the peripheral images in the 2 scans I had and some of this excess paper condition on many of the images or in the general area. I think the book just wasn't stored well and the moisture and heat wherever it was kept caused the damage. Please LMK how it turns out!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm amazed that the Indian Chiefs album commands more money than the sports one. I had 2 of the Indian albums at one point. One was pretty beat, but still presentable with all the main images intact. I sold that one about 5 years ago $500.

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Many here would be surprised at how the non-sports prices have changed. There are several non-sports albums that are more expensive than the A&G Indian one. Recently a small 5x7 Duke's album with just 10 pictures of Sporting Girls in which there was no corresponding card sold for $2,200 and a Buchner Defenders album in VG condition (not EX) for $2,500 a year ago.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

for no other reason perhaps than they interest me and are not so difficult to track - at least online and major auctions. I can't honestly think of a sports album that sells for less than the indian album including the more generic ones like champions of games and sports. Just as with cards, peripherals and by definition perhaps with all collectibles there is a general hierarchy of price and desire that tends to remain static within generations of collectors. It seems to me that the indian album (and related) have remained in a such a position; behind baseball and sports - but ahead of birds, flowers, even women and horses..... With note to what Eric said and his fantastic sporting girls album - and the trend lately of rising prices across the entire spectrum of non-sports - good material in demand and condition sells really well - but there is the trickle down (or up) theory as well and collectibles seem to be doing well. I just made this up about collecting the good stuff in sports or non-sports by the regular collector guy-on-a-budget: If you don't already have it - you can no longer afford it. If you already have it - you can't afford to keep it.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jon

They are cool albums, and bridge my collecting interest in baseball books to cards.

Max

Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Albums are generally a great value. Aside from sports and indians, there are albums depicting a great many of the N-card series: inventors, leaders, governors as well as the usual fish, birds and quadrapeds. Beautiful and very affordable, usually only a few hundred dollars each. Even the Champions album in top shape at $4500 strikes me as a good deal based on scarcity.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Link to the auction or final price?

Adam B

Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290142166358&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

BZ!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

I'm confused as to "BZ"? Sorry!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

That's ole Navy for "Well Done"!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Well - The album arrived so I thought I share some images...

Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Appears you got a bargain. This album is rarer than the Allen & Ginter baseball albums and it includes the first football card.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator

a good deal. Looks like 1500.00 to 1800.00 worth at least. Nice clean back and only a few pages with the paint imperfections. Congrat!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I think the album qualifies as a work of art.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I'd say closer to 2000-2500 leaning towards the higher end.

my collection http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/

Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JON

These A36 (ACC #) albums are very rare and very beautifully produced....I think this album is the finest example of Sports Lithography in the hobby.

I acquired mine many years ago and the price was not cheap back then....you did real good.

TED Z