NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Steve Murray

Had a wonderful time at the dinner tonight and enjoyed meeting many of my fellow collectors. See you tomorrow at the show.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Cat

Me too! Leon's parties kick a$$!!

Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: John S

I took my father, who has absolutely no interest in vintage cards, and he was thouroughly impressed with the group and really enjoyed himself. Thanks Leon.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: leon

you are welcome guys ......we'll report when we get back but the dinner was a lot of fun last night.....take care and happy collecting.....

Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Leon- sorry I wasn't there but I hope you saved me a little bit of knockwurst!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: paulstratton

Did anyone get drunk and disorderly?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Joann

Yes, thanks much Leon. It was great. I left at about 10:30 b/c I was tired and figured it was probably winding down soon anyways. WRONG! I heard today that it moved to the hotel bar and went into the wee hours. So you know it had to be good - all good parties have an after-party!

Joann

Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: jay behrens

Joan, you should have asked me for some show advice I could have told that the real interesting stuff happens after the dinner is over. At the last National in Chicago, after dinner, I got to hold and look at 5 cards worth upwards of $250k. 3 of the 5 cards were examples of cards I had never seen before. The other after dinner highlight was someone thinking the wrestler Rob Van Dam (sp) was a hot chick sitting at the hotel bar until he turned around. I wish I could remember who it was that thought that, but I am sure someone else will remember.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Alan

Thanks for organizing the dinner. It was FANTASTIC !!!

Alan

Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: peter chao

You guys should have done a web-cast of the dinner. By the end of the dinner was there anybody still sober, if so why wasn't he drinking?

Peter C.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

Leon,

Thank you. The Net54 dinner was awesome and without a doubt the highlight of my trip! For some of us, the dinner carried over to the bar until 3:30 in the morning. It was great to put many faces with ebay ID's and avatars. For those that missed the dinner this year, I strongly suggest attending next year in Chicago.

CB

Old 08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Rich Klein

The dinner is the closest thing to the old-school hospitality rooms that used to be so much fun in the hobby. If we had more "dinners"; we'd have a happier hobby (and I don't mean that Leon has to sponsor any more of them) -- just at all the other shows

Rich

Old 08-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: bcornell

The dinner was again the highlight of the show and Leon did a great job organizing it. Very nice this year to have Brian Wentz, Lyman, and Doug Allen as guest speakers. For you Mastro critics, Doug joked that "I don't make mistakes, but Pete Calderon makes a lot of them". I can supply his email address...

4 years ago, the first dinner was an ad hoc, 25-person affair spread out at 3 or 4 tables in Atlantic City; this year there were what looked like 125 in attendance. The bar is high, but I'll bet Chicago in 2008 will be even better.

Bill

Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: MVSNYC

sounds like a super time guys, sorry i didn't make it to this one, BUT i plan on being in Chicago next year...i've partied there before, they have a good night-life!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Zinn

I will attend the Chicago dinner. Put me down for one.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Leon,

Nice to meet you in person. Did finally find the 2 Ruth's I wanted to see. Didn't buy either one.

Ken AKA the "Miller Collector"

Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: MGray

I had a wonderful time at the dinner. It was very nice to meet Leon, Steve Murray, Turner Engle, Ed Hans and Cat. Thanks Leon and you can RVSP me for next year.
Have a nice Sunday Night,
Mike Gray
gray766@hotmail.com
Looking for a PSA 5 or 6 Tinker portrait

Old 08-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: MGray

I had a wonderful time at the dinner. It was very nice to meet Leon, Steve Murray, Turner Engle, Ed Hans and Cat. Thanks Leon and you can RVSP me for next year.
Have a nice Sunday Night,
Mike Gray
gray766@hotmail.com
Looking for a PSA 5 or 6 Tinker portrait

Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Kenny Cole

I second what everyone else has been saying. I had a great time at the dinner. Thank you Leon for doing such a great job setting it up.

Kenny Cole

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Bob

Paul- You asked if anyone became drunk and disorderly. That actually happened the next night when Don Larson (yes that Don Larson) and his buddy were at the Sheraton bar and a high school baseball coach who was torched went ballistic and there was almost a bar room brawl of major proportions. The funny thing was about 6 or 7 54ers just were so engrossed in their card talk they missed it (hard to miss someone screaming he is going to kick someone's MFing butt), but they did. I tried to be a peacemaker and get their attention diverted to the ball game on the tube but it got pretty nasty. My major concern was that JoAnn picked that time to come over and say hi and although I absolutely loved talking with her, if I seemed a tad distant JoAnn, it was because I wanted to make sure a Bud Light bottle didn't come flying through the air and accidentally miss its target and hit you!
When Larson and his buddy left, I was out smoking a cigarette and heard Larson tell his buddy not to worry, he'd take care of the drunk coach if he dared follow them. I cracked that I wished Lyman were there to get that picture of an 80 year old Don Larson cold cocking some drunk half his age, for the Old cardboard magazine. Lyman got a kick out of it
tbob

Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Tbob,

What night did that occur. My wife and I were there Friday night and were there til Larson left. Don't remember this one, but we were having a few cocktails.

Kmac

Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks Leon!

Posted By: Bob

Friday night. Todd Schultz even had a close encounter in the john when they sauntered in there. That could have been a strange time for all