NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-16-2024, 09:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default ebay: jollyrogersrelics

Has anyone dealt with this seller?

He has a number of old cabinet cards he says are old Negro league and Cuban players. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134906563144

He seems to be quite knowledgeable, and has great feedback. Just wondering how the same guy keeps finding old cabinet cards that happen to be uber obscure players from 1895. I haven't researched his claims, but seems like making a positive ID based on an old cabinet photo would be awfully difficult to do. And he claims to have unearth a number of these.
Lots of men look like lot vaguely like lot of other men. Not accusing him of fraud, and his claims may all be based on his research and made in good faith.

Definitely some cool stuff. Just wondering about these cabinets.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:50 AM

Personally, I have chosen to ignore all of listings. I believe there are other threads alluding to his stuff and identifications. Do your own research.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:22 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Has anyone dealt with this seller?

He has a number of old cabinet cards he says are old Negro league and Cuban players. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134906563144

He seems to be quite knowledgeable, and has great feedback. Just wondering how the same guy keeps finding old cabinet cards that happen to be uber obscure players from 1895. I haven't researched his claims, but seems like making a positive ID based on an old cabinet photo would be awfully difficult to do. And he claims to have unearth a number of these.
Lots of men look like lot vaguely like lot of other men. Not accusing him of fraud, and his claims may all be based on his research and made in good faith.

Definitely some cool stuff. Just wondering about these cabinets.

Wait a second! Somebody drew a mustache and googly eyes on the fella, similar to the guy it's supposed to be...and then it magically becomes him?

Where do I find this magic pen for all my Unidentified Boxing Photos I've been hoarding?

Seriously though, this is a regular topic on these boards. I think this fella might have even been a member here for a very short time period before he was exiled.

Search "jollyrodgersrelics" and a stack of threads will show up just in the last 2 years relating to this seller, including a Boxing related one here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...yrodgersrelics

Old 02-16-2024, 10:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks. Will do.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:40 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

This guy has been the subject of several serious and at times hilarious posts concerning his items and their characteristics for the subjects he identifies them to be. At times it is a real stretch like having a photo of Phyllis Diller and showing thru his analysis that it is a photo of Kate Upton .
Old 02-16-2024, 05:01 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
He seems to be quite knowledgeable
I am not so sure about that. Here are the Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson cabinet cards that he has positively identified and has on offer.

It is amazing how none of his baseball images picture a player in an identifiable uniform, nor is ever an image that was published back in the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth.jpg (190.8 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson.jpg (190.2 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 02-16-2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:43 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ok, I was wrong. Thanks.
I’m not going to call someone out without a lot of
Knowledge of who they are and what they are doing. I dont want to disparage someone. I didn’t recognize the name.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:44 AM
Dave

I'm pretty sure he hoards stacks of old photos, then he filters them through Google Lens, and anything that comes up as any sort of "similarity" gets set to the side, and then he proceeds to craft a story and apply his pseudo photo recognition filters to his listings.

Gotta hand it to the guy, he's not afraid of doing the work...even if it is 95% faulty.

I think Yogi Berra might have said one time: "100% of all provenance claims, is 80% made up".
Old 02-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I'm pretty sure he hoards stacks of old photos, then he filters them through Google Lens, and anything that comes up as any sort of "similarity" gets set to the side, and then he proceeds to craft a story and apply his pseudo photo recognition filters to his listings.

Gotta hand it to the guy, he's not afraid of doing the work...even if it is 95% faulty.

I think Yogi Berra might have said one time: "100% of all provenance claims, is 80% made up".
+1

This guy is a true fraudster, he's clearly not just optimistic and mistaken after years of scamming people over and over and over. I'm quite disappointed eBay just lets him do it and ignores the frequent reports; I know at least a dozen people who have reported him and his fraudulent listings and been ignored.

On the other hand, it is pretty funny to laugh at his listings.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

When I saw his listings it made me think of that Netflix special of the guy who kept traveling to NYC and every time he was there he discovered some rare Mormon Church document in the same book store on Fifth Avenue.

QUOTE=G1911;2413740]+1

This guy is a true fraudster, he's clearly not just optimistic and mistaken after years of scamming people over and over and over. I'm quite disappointed eBay just lets him do it and ignores the frequent reports; I know at least a dozen people who have reported him and his fraudulent listings and been ignored.

On the other hand, it is pretty funny to laugh at his listings.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-17-2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:52 AM
Jeff Lazarus

He has had a mix of photos that seem like extremely poor matches and some really, really cool other items.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:14 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Is he claiming this is Walter Johnson ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13491649539...wAAOSwoOplu~Iw
Old 02-19-2024, 09:32 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post

I think that might be his brother Adolf Johnson.

Struggling artist, mediocre ballplayer, charismatic psychopath.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:42 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post

From the description:

Quote:
1925-32 Walter Johnson real photo postcard. Published in Wingham Ontario by Zurbrigg. MLB Washington Nationals uniform. Not sure why Johnson was in Ontario. The Hitler Stacie was not drawn on. As you can see in some of Walter Johnson’s images there seems his pholtrum(ridge above his mouth) looks like the star track uniform insignia. Zurbrigg seems to be a well known photo artist. There are some flaws to the photo. Sort of looks unprofessional, but at the same time the photographer fleas maybe done on purpose. There is blueness to the cheek where Johnson’s mlles would have stood out. I think the Hitler stache was a side effect of what was a feeble attempt at hiding an unflattering feature of Johnson’s face.
No, the "W" on the uniform couldn't possibly stand for "Wingham".

tongue smileystongue smileys

I truly think the guy is probably delusional and thinks he's discovered some sort of life hack to identify photos with.

Let's just hope he never gets a job working for prosecutors in a court system somewhere as an "expert witness", or a lot of innocent people are going to be going to prison because of him.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:50 AM
Scott Russell

I normally get a laugh out of these, but that Wajo isn't even amusing. They literally don't share a resemblance in a single facial feature. You might not be able to find pictures of two guys who look less alike. But there's a "W" on his uniform so it must be Wajo.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-21-2024, 02:04 PM
Rhett Yeakley

This seller is an absolute clown show!

Nobody born has ever been worse at photo identification than this guy!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Just as a +1 Do yourself a favor, never buy any of this sellers "identification" pieces.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale