NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default "Falls City Slugger", predecessor to "Louisville Slugger"

Per legend, Hillerich & Bradsby Co. made their first baseball bat for a professional player in 1884; providing a slumping Pete Browning luck in the form of 3 hits in his first game with his new bat. Bats would continue to be made under the "Falls City Slugger" name until 1894 when "Louisville Slugger" was patented and first used.

Question to forum members. Does anyone know of a drawing, photo, or better yet, a surviving example of H&Bs first bat, the "Falls City Slugger"? I already contacted the Louisville Slugger Museum and Baseball HOF with no luck.

Thank You.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 02-22-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:09 AM
John Harrell

Default Early Hillerich bat

This are the earliest examples of a Hillerich bat that I have come across. I have two of these, one a salesman sample (green with rings) and a youth sized bat (also with rings), both Crackerjack models. Both have J Gillerich's in the label with Crackerjack No.2 underneath. Not sure why the name is Gillerich and not Hillerich.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #5b.jpg (76.8 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg #153b.jpg (68.1 KB, 370 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Kevin O'Gara

because that's not a hillerich model
Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Clint

That's just an H not a J and G.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
That's just an H not a J and G.

+1
Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 AM
John Harrell

Obviously didn't have enough coffee this morning :-)

John
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Kevin O'Gara

obviously is an H..
Old 02-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Matt

Here's a 1922 ad featuring hillerichs crackerjack .. Same style font .. No rings present .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWGjohn View Post
This are the earliest examples of a Hillerich bat that I have come across. I have two of these, one a salesman sample (green with rings) and a youth sized bat (also with rings), both Crackerjack models. Both have J Gillerich's in the label with Crackerjack No.2 underneath. Not sure why the name is Gillerich and not Hillerich.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.1 KB, 183 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Jim Murphy

the other two bats have H&B logos so they are after 1916/17 or that year
Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Jim,

I'm no expert, but I have followed the company's history, and here's a few things...

1. As can be seen in this ad from Crack of The Bat, the JF Hillerich & Son centerbrand was being used on bats as early as 1895. As the ad also states that he took Bud in as a partner in 1888, it's plausible that they were branded as such starting at this date. It did become official, as mentioned, in 1897 with the official 1$ sale of half of their building to Bud.

2. Also according to The Louisville Slugger Story by Bob Hill, it's mentioned that no person in particular is responsible for the name "Louisville Slugger". It's thought that players who used the bat named it. It makes no mention of the term used as a nickname for Browning. It mentions his known sobriquet as "the old gladiator". This is according to the year 2000 of course, so you may be correct and have updated info from a source I'm not aware of.

3. With 1894 being the year the name "Louisville Slugger" was patented, and with the JFH & S centerbrand being used as early as 1895, it's more than likely correct that Duffy did use the bat shown and mentioned as 1894, with similar centerbrand to the dated 1895 bat in the photo posted.

I just wanted to share this info. It's interesting to think how many questions in the hobby we'd love answered, but sadly, the information is lost to time.

Regards,
Brent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Jim Murphy

There are a lot of different things to read on the company and some are not consistent with each other their own website history also follows different avenues.

I have collected and brought and sold bats for over 40 years.
I do not think that it is possible to find a falls city bat as the term was not used until after the period they were made.

No matter how many books are written or things posted here, we all can learn from all of this