NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Wayne Walker

Default Anyone collect other signed 1980s sets? Doing a team thing?

From 1988-91, my dad had season tickets to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. I used to go early to the games to go after BP foul balls and get IP autos. I got a TON of signed scorecards and a good amount of signed cards, the latter being my favorite thing to get signed. Amazing to reminisce about how the internet has changed things; back then, I couldn't find out who was on a roster until they got to town, so I would go to the first game of a home stand and get the scorecard that had the rosters dot-matrix-printed on it. I'd proceed to get that scorecard signed by most of a team that first night (usually the Sky Sox because I was gonna go after the visitors the second night with cards). I then took the scorecard home and cross-referenced my A-Z checklist book (something they couldn't possibly print anymore, but why would they need to with these here webs available?), hoping that I had any card at all for the players (loved being able to get a late 70s card inked). Card geek that I was/am, I think going through and getting those cards out of my 5000 count boxes was my favorite part of the process, moreso than the actual signing part. Oh, the simpler times. But I digress from the point of my post...

I posted a couple of signed 1987 Topps cards in the other thread about that set, and a collector has claimed them. He asked about another set from the 80s that he was building, and while I didn't have any from that year, I do have like 40-50 auto'd cards left from all manufacturers in the 80s up until 1990 (a few '90 Topps and Donruss). I also have a lot minor league cards and some oddballs.

I may have done this exact thing here a few years ago (I know I have on other boards and have given quite a few away already, mostly to team collectors), but I thought I'd post it again. I don't have any stars and if I have any from your set or team it would most likely be only 1 or 2, but they aren't doing any good in my dusty binder. Happy to send them to collectors who would give them a good home, and I do enjoy an excuse to go through them again!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 12-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I probably graphed beside you in '88 and '89. My dad lived in the Springs and I would stay with him during the summers when I was in high school. He lived less than 10 minutes from the stadium. I remember Luis Medina being the big prospect back then, and I remember the Indians coming to town for an exhibition back when teams could do such things in-season. In fact, Tucson was in town for a three or four game set, and the Indians game was in the middle of that series. I remember that because Tucson was managed by Bob Skinner, father of then-Indian Joel Skinner, so it was kind of neat for them to be able to see each other during the season. I also remember every player and coach on the team signing, even the normally very difficult Andy Allanson. I have no clue why a light-hitting mostly backup catcher was so tough, but to this day it's the only Allanson autograph I ever got. Sorry to go off topic but your post reminded me of some good times at the Sky Sox stadium.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Wayne Walker

Yes! If I recall, there was a HR derby before the game that was Indians vs. Sky Sox, which was basically (or may have simply just been) Luis Medina vs. Albert (think it was still Joey at the time) Belle. It's awesome that you mention the Skinners, because Joel Skinner was on deck when the Indians made their final out (Sky Sox won!); I was crouching by the visitors' dugout to ask for any cracked bats, and when the last out came I didn't have to ask because Joel Skinner turned around and handed me the bat he'd been warming up with. He and the other Indians were not gonna waste any time hanging around there, that was sure. Great memories.

Do teams still do that anymore, play an exhibition against a minor league affiliate in the middle of the season? That was supposed to be a day off, and I sensed that the Indians weren't all that pumped to be there. With their salaries these days and the extra injury risk, I just can't see it happening anymore outside of ST.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:24 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

MLB changed the rule a few years ago so that teams could only play exhibitions in the preseason. The Orioles have been here (Norfolk) a couple times on their way to Baltimore from Spring Training, and several other teams do that as they break camp, but the in-season exhibition is a thing of the past. The Joey Belle game must have been 90 or 91. He wasn't with them when I saw them. It was Joe Carter, Brook Jacoby, Tom Candiotti, Cory Snyder...that terrible late 80s team.

Did you ever get Pat Keedy on his 88 Topps? He was with the Sox briefly but I missed him. The only other Sky Sox guy that always eluded me was Domingo Ramos. If you have anything of those guys I'd be interested!

Last edited by dgo71; 12-14-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Wayne Walker

Yeah, the one I'm thinking of had to be 1990 because I know Belle was there. I'm thinking maybe Belle was actually on the Sox side with Medina, and they ruled that HR contest against the weak Indians sluggers? I was at the '89 game as well but don't recal specifics; those memories fade, good as they are. Thanks for bringing this up.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
MLB changed the rule a few years ago so that teams could only play exhibitions in the preseason. The Orioles have been here (Norfolk) a couple times on their way to Baltimore from Spring Training, and several other teams do that as they break camp, but the in-season exhibition is a thing of the past. The Joey Belle game must have been 90 or 91. He wasn't with them when I saw them. It was Joe Carter, Brook Jacoby, Tom Candiotti, Cory Snyder...that terrible late 80s team.

Did you ever get Pat Keedy on his 88 Topps? He was with the Sox briefly but I missed him. The only other Sky Sox guy that always eluded me was Domingo Ramos. If you have anything of those guys I'd be interested!
No Pat Keedy, but I swear I got Ramos on a Pro Set card. I just can't seem to find that set (which I ended up getting about 80% of signed-I've already squirreled away the Terry Francona as the only possible future HOFer). I'll let you know if I find it. I also know I have more than one Domingo Ramos on a scorecard with a bunch of other Sky Sox. If you want one of those, PM me your address and I will mail it out (a huge stack of those is in a drawer in my childhood bedroom in Colorado Springs, which I wil be sleeping in next week).

Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Wayne Walker

I was lying about Keedy; look what i just found!

It is so fun to remember this stuff! When it was announced that the Hawaii Islanders were moving to Colorado Springs for the 1988 season, I got out an SCD and mail ordered a 1987 Pro Set team set of the Islanders for the purposes of autographs. In my naivety I didn't even realize that they would also switch parent clubs to the Indians (I think the Islanders were the Pirates AAA team - EDIT-It was the White Sox). Still, I got Keedy and Brian Giles (the black one with a mustache, not the future Pirates star of the same name) on this set.

EDIT TO ADD-I see that Keedy only played 3 games with the Sky Sox, in 1989! I'd bet I got him in 1988 when he came through with Tucson. Ah, the memories!

Get me your address if you want this card; I'd be happy to send it out (though you may only want the '88 Topps as you mentioned).

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 12-14-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Awesome! PM sent, thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Curt

I am always looking for Dodgers and their minor league affiliates. I have most of the cards in the 70s and 80s, but if you have any to part with, i'd love a shot at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
From 1988-91, my dad had season tickets to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. I used to go early to the games to go after BP foul balls and get IP autos. I got a TON of signed scorecards and a good amount of signed cards, the latter being my favorite thing to get signed. Amazing to reminisce about how the internet has changed things; back then, I couldn't find out who was on a roster until they got to town, so I would go to the first game of a home stand and get the scorecard that had the rosters dot-matrix-printed on it. I'd proceed to get that scorecard signed by most of a team that first night (usually the Sky Sox because I was gonna go after the visitors the second night with cards). I then took the scorecard home and cross-referenced my A-Z checklist book (something they couldn't possibly print anymore, but why would they need to with these here webs available?), hoping that I had any card at all for the players (loved being able to get a late 70s card inked). Card geek that I was/am, I think going through and getting those cards out of my 5000 count boxes was my favorite part of the process, moreso than the actual signing part. Oh, the simpler times. But I digress from the point of my post...

I posted a couple of signed 1987 Topps cards in the other thread about that set, and a collector has claimed them. He asked about another set from the 80s that he was building, and while I didn't have any from that year, I do have like 40-50 auto'd cards left from all manufacturers in the 80s up until 1990 (a few '90 Topps and Donruss). I also have a lot minor league cards and some oddballs.

I may have done this exact thing here a few years ago (I know I have on other boards and have given quite a few away already, mostly to team collectors), but I thought I'd post it again. I don't have any stars and if I have any from your set or team it would most likely be only 1 or 2, but they aren't doing any good in my dusty binder. Happy to send them to collectors who would give them a good home, and I do enjoy an excuse to go through them again!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I am always looking for Dodgers and their minor league affiliates. I have most of the cards in the 70s and 80s, but if you have any to part with, i'd love a shot at them.
The only autos of a Dodger on Dodgers cards are 1987 Fleer and Donruss of Reggie Williams. I would be happy to send you those if you need them. If there are any players in particular who would have been in the PCL at that time, let me know. I'm surprised I don't have more considering the Dukes were the dodgers affiliate at that time.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Curt

I have those two, but thank you for checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
The only autos of a Dodger on Dodgers cards are 1987 Fleer and Donruss of Reggie Williams. I would be happy to send you those if you need them. If there are any players in particular who would have been in the PCL at that time, let me know. I'm surprised I don't have more considering the Dukes were the dodgers affiliate at that time.