NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Bill Hedin?

This is one of those posts/threads that I almost dread making. I have had 2 requests asking about Bill Hedin, in the last several weeks. Both were asking if I knew anything of Bill, or his situation, as these 2 folks sent (small amounts) monies for cards and never heard back. I know Bill has been a long time collector and is very well respected, but has also been in very, very poor health. I am just fearing the worst and I hope that isn't the case. He has always been one of the most pleasant guys on the board and I sure hope and pray nothing happened to him. Has anyone heard from him? best regards
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Barry Sloate

Bill emailed me about a month ago and he was at that time still fighting his illness as best he could. But of course a lot can happen in a month. I also have dreaded that one day we would receive some bad news. I hope this is not it.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Barry Sloate

I just checked and Bill PMed me on Oct 17 and 18. And he hasn't posted on the board in a while. Oh boy.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Michael S

He went on a B/S/T Live auction binge on 10/25. I hope he is okay. I admire his passion.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ok at least....

I believe Bill might have posted, within the last few days, on one of those social networking sites so I think he is ok. There might be some personal issues going on but I am sure these card related things will get worked out soon. regards
Old 11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Rob

I was a winner of one of his auctions (though I was not one whom contacted Leon). He stated to me he had some issues and was starting to get back to where he could get things sorted out (as far as transactions go). I believe he is still feeling ill and would appreciate the thoughts and prayers. My package was received yesterday, but I haven't had any contact with him since last week (I sent an email to him today, but he hasn't replied yet). I certainly hope he is feeling better, he truly seems to be a really nice man.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Dan McCarthy

Definitely hoping he's doing alright... I've been to a number of his shows in the Boston area.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Barry Arnold

Default bill h

my prayers are certainly with this fine gentleman.

best,
barry
Old 11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I, too, have had a couple of great transactions with Bill. He seems to be a very classy guy. I knew of his illness, but I don't think he ever told me exactly what it was. However, I do remember he told me baseball cards were his therapy and that has always stuck in my mind.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Jimmy

Default Bill Hedin?

Bill did not attend the Boston show earlier this month, sometimes he would visit dealers at this show and I have not see him in about a year. I have a show this weekend and will try and ask around. He tends to come in and out of the hobby if he is feeling better.

Jimmy
Old 11-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

We had a transaction back in September, but I haven't heard from him since then.

Here's wishing him good health!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Neal

Bill is a wonderful human being whom I consider a friend. I knew him and his folks way back when I was attending his shows back in the 80s. I know he was battling a terrible disease in which my own father lost to this past Tuesday. I really hope Bill is ok? RIP to my dad!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Heard the following update from Bill --- While at a doctor's appointment last week, someone broke into his home and stole about $15K worth of baseball cards from his collection from the 1950s - 1970s. Thus far, the police have been able to recover more than half of the stolen cards, but many of the most valuable ones are still missing.

It's very sad that he has to deal with this type of offense while coping with health issues.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Barry Sloate

That is just outrageous! What an awful story.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default update on Bill

I got an update email from Bill only yesterday. He asked that folks be patient and things will get done. It is in fact his sickness that is hindering him, in a bad way, both physically (lots of pain) and mentally. I am sort of at a loss for words (which is a bit unusual). His email really hit the heart strings. IN something I don't usually do I am going to post an excerpt from his email as there is no way I could personally write and capture the essence of it. He has no idea I am posting it for him....Also, for the few small deals hanging out there it will give you an idea of what to do....

"If you want to send any correspondence re:deals, send them here under subject write net54/Becky, and she will be able to fix the couple out-standing deals. She's my wife. The poor kid has endured a lot during my illness including my will, funeral arrangements, life insurance/health insurance issues, etc.., and all this while I'm terminally ill. It's not bad enough that I'm just that sick, but the reality of "the end" is a mind-blowing thing unto itself.
Just email us anytime. Thanks for everything. In closing, if this is it for my life, I am proud to see the transformation from the 70's to today. We went from no price giude and a few shows to this accurate inter-net system of buy/sell/trade with accurate pricing and a great forum in net54 for every topic. Graded cards with serial #'s will prevent theft. I think we all should be impressed on where the hoby went in these decades and net54 is the leader.
Thanks again.
All my love to you all,

Bill Hedin
Framingham, MA 01701
bh3443@aol.com"

In closing I will say that, from everything I know, the world needs a lot more Bill Hedins in it. take care everyone....

Last edited by Leon; 11-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Barry Sloate

That is just heartbreaking. Bill, if you are able to read this I think you are a very special person. I can not imagine what you are going through. You are in my thoughts always.

With sincerest wishes,
Barry Sloate
Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Tony N.

Default He is one tough guy

That is a very powerful few sentences. Bill you and your family are in my prayers.

Tony
Old 11-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Very touching letter from a guy with so much on his mind besides cards. Bill, we've never met but I pray your remaining days bring you the peace and serenity you deserve.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Lou

Keeping you and your family in our prayers. Lou
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Though we've never met, you are in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sure the Good Lord hears what others are saying about you. If you've made the lives of others better for having known you, there is little more that one can do that is better in this life.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Clayton

I don't know you Bill, but I understand you aren't in the best of health. You sound like a great guy and I just wanted to wish you the best and I hope you win this battle. Prayers from my family to you and yours.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 AM

Best wishes and prayers to Bill, his wife & family.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Richard Cline

Bill - I only know you from your posts on Net54, but it is easy to recognize a "class act" when reading your correspondence.
My prayers are with you and your family to find strength in all that you are facing.
RC
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Jimmy

Default Bill Hedin? Reply to Thread

God Bless You Bill,

Jimmy
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Jason Albregts

I've had the privilege of dealing with Bill on a transaction here and he was a class act all the way. Best wishes to you sir!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default email

I just got an email (below) from Bill. Here is an excerpt from it...as it was rather long....He is a bit worried about the 2 deals he is late on. If those 2 people could email me again, to leonl@flash.net, I would appreciate it. We can then get those wrapped up. And thanks too, to anyone that is responding to my private email. take care
leon

from Bill: (I blocked out Steve's last name for privacy concerns)

"Did either guy email you? All the info on these 2 deals are missing. I have the cards ready to mail but no address! I'm so sorry to have to ask you for help, but I really want to wrap these deals up! It seems like every time I get an email or a regular mail about cards, i get to feeling better!
I got a great letter and card from Steve Sa.... today, thanking me for everything I've done to help the hobby in my life. This letter made me so happy and i don't even know Steve!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Hello my friends, I missed you--- Bill Hedin

Hi Everyone!
First off, let me say that i missed you all and this board so much! As you know, I suffered a recent set-back with my illness. it's going to be a long battle, but I'm confident that with the help of my Dr., God, my family and my extended family of you wonderful net54 friends I will get better, or at least as best i can get!

I had a couple deals that i fell behind on and those are now done. I want to thank those people for their patience and understanding.

When I read the posts here, I got very emotional. It is a wonderful feeling to know and read the many kind posts from you all. Like I've always said, the hobby's in great hands being giuded by the fabulous crew here at 54. You are all the best people i've ever known. Net54 is the leader in our hobby and i thank God for this board. Leon and the rest of you are amazing people and i love you all more than you will ever know.

I'm going through some tough times these days, but i want to make it crystal clear that each and every one of you has made me feel so much better because I've seen and read the kind words you all have towards me. I'm a very happy guy knowing that you all care so much.

So, it's December 2nd and I am trying to get ready for this fight with my illness. I will be on here like before reading and posting. I've always said that net54 is my best therapy.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind thoughts. You are the greatest group of people I know.

I am very happy to be a member here. God Bless you all and everyone have a tremendous Holiday Season.

Your friend,
Bill Hedin
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Matt Wieder

Great to have you back "on board" Bill.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Rob Miller

It’s great to hear from you Bill, please keep fighting. You are one of the most pleasant people I have ever dealt with and I hope you get better.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Bill Hedin

Default thank you guys!

Thank you for welcoming me back. I am enjoying getting caught up on the latest postings here.
Rob, your kind words mean so much to me.
We have had so many pleasurable deals that I just want to tell everyone what a great guy you are. I value our friendship more than anything.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bill

GOD Bless you and your family. We are praying for you.

Keep up your positive attitude, for it causes the brain to release endorphins, which are very important to your well being.

Best wishes,

TED Z
Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Barry Sloate

Bill- so wonderful to see you posting. Keep fighting!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Jeff

Bill,
Welcome back and keep up the good fight!
You have been and will remain in my family's prayers.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
qualitycards

Bill Hang Tough & have Faith, all the best
Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Daryl

God bless you Bill, I'll keep you in my prayers. Luke 18:27
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

first time Ive pulled this post up in a couple weeks...

Good to see you back Bill

Hope to see you here for many years to come, aloha
Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Bill Hedin

Default thank you all, so very much!

Hi there,
This is a very emotional thread! what a great feeling this is knowing what a wonderful group of friends i have here on 54.
All the kind words, emails posts and phone calls are enough to make me cry with joy. I really do love you all so much.
I want you all to know that this one thread of posts explains why I chose to dedicate my life to our beloved hobby. I consider myself wealthy beyond belief as i have so many wonderful friends.
I will never forget this wonderful day and this amazing group of messages.
You are all the greatest group of people I've had the pleasure of knowing.
I want you all to know just how much this means to me.
The closeness in this group is something very special. Where has our hobby gone in 2010 after we all nurtured it during our lives? It is my opinion that we have all reached the heights of a real brotherhood of card loving friends who all care for each other in so many ways. This is the pinnacle of our success as hobbyists.
I thank God I am a part of this truly amazing hobby filled with only the truly best collectors in the world----- Bill
Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Rich Klein

Default like the photo

And Bill --- I hope you receive many more good news before xmas

Rich
Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Our friend and member, Neal Kublin from Florida just lost his Dad

Hi gang,
I just talked with our friend and fellow 54er, Neal Kublin. Neal's Dad just passed away. All my thoughts and prayers are with Neal and his Family.

During my illness (especially in the scary beginning) Neal has been there for me, selling me cards and we talk about our families. His Dad's illness was similar to mine and Neal lost him Tuesday.

Let's pray for Neal and let him know were here for him. Neal's been a special friend to me and the first dealer I ever bought from on here (he's greenmonster-something).

All our best to Neal and family.

Regards,
Bill Hedin
Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Travis Wise

Default Bill,

Bill,

To the best of my knowledge we have never spoken, but I wish you well!!! I hope the best for you and your family!

If you need ANYTHING feel free to pm on here or email me...

Travis
Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Barry Arnold

Default bill h

i am deeply moved by the depth of your kindness and courage.
You remind us so poignantly of how great this hobby is and how important we have become to each other over the years.
keep talking to us. you help us become the best of who we are.

with every good wish for you and yours,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 12-02-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 PM

edited until we get more facts.....

Last edited by Leon; 02-13-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: derogatory statements taken until until further investigated
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Rawn Hill

I can drive to his house tomorrow. I will vouch for Bill. We have never met, I again, I will vouch for him.

Rawn
Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Neal

Words can't describe what a wonderful human being Bill is! If all of us were like him what a perfect world it would be! Bill and I remain pretty close and we do keep in touch! He has been going through a tough battle the kind that my dad lost a few months ago! Keep up all of your prayers,positive comments and all! He truly loves the hobby and this is like good medicine for him!!! :-)

God Bless My friend Bill!!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Rawn Hill

I can replace any and all Red Sox cards if you are in any way worried about your transaction with Bill. This is a MAN without reproach.

Sorry, I few things get me upset and this is one of them.

Read post #15 before you continue this post.

Rawn

Last edited by carrigansghost; 02-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Wtf?

Just got my newer computer hooked up and went to show my favorite site to my friend. What pops up is this slanderous note accusing me of everything but taking out the World Trade Center!
For weeks, Ron has bombarded my 'friends" site on FB and he wanted to trade 2011 cards (my Marlins and Pirates for his Red Sox). He then wanted vintage, so i offered him some. Not a big trade, but the first trade with him I sent him a handful of cards and got nothing in reply. No big deal, he can have them.
I felt bad that his girlfriend left him and then he says he's disabled.
Now he's telling my Net 54 family he's sent me a package but can't prove the tracking number?
Something just stinks about this supposed deal.
I am very suspicious of this guy, Ron. He pops up out of no where and proposes a trade, yet nothing's arrived and he can't even prove he sent anything. No tracking number, delivery confirmation or anything!
At this point, I do not understand why this guy went to so much trouble to attempt to ruin my name. He claims he sent something, yet nothing arrived.
Why in the Name of God is he doing this?
The only trade i've done with ANYONE is Rich Klien, and you can ask him how that went. Every other deal was done with money orders.
I'm so distraught by this Ron guy, I am contemplating leaving my beloved net 54 forum and go back to collecting with out any fan fare.
To all the great people I've met here, thank you for the kind emails and the great deals.
To my real friends on here, you know where I am and how to get in touch with me. i wish you well and remember I love you all.
I am very hurt by this Ron guy attempting to scam my good name.
I'm closing out my account, and good luck with Ron. Seems like there's only room for one disabled collector here and Ron's all yours!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Steven Sadler

Bill,
You shouldn't leave Net 54. Many of us here are your friends and have the utmost respect for you. Don't let one bad deal take you away from a place you enjoy so much. Just my two cents........
Steve

Last edited by soxinseven; 02-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yeah Bill if you're still lurking stick around. Most of us can balance decades in the business vs a single post.

Steve B
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinssteelersfan View Post
I too have just recently sent him a few hundred dollars worth of red sox in trade for some cards he was supposed to be sending me by the end of this week. I am very concerned as it appears he also blocked me for some reason on facebook, although we never had an argument or anything. Can you, or someone get in touch with him for me? Thank you very much, Ron Churchwell daddyrin1@hotmail.com
Never good when a brand new board member makes his first post and it's an attack on someone that many think of as a friend.

Ron, I'm not sure this will lead to many future successful trades on this board. Some have known Bill for years. Send him an email and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Never good when a brand new board member makes his first post and it's an attack on someone that many think of as a friend. >

Not only "never good" but pretty despicable considering that he brought the thread back after a couple of months and had the opportunity to see the struggle Bill is going through by reading the prior posts.