NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-10-2020, 04:18 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default Then we can postulate

Goring AND Ramsay were definitely better than Carbonneau. Rank these players:

Gainey
Goring
Carbonneau
Ramsay

Who are you picking first?
Old 12-10-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Gainey
Goring
Carbonneau
Ramsay

Ramsey
Goring
Gainey
Carbonneau
Old 12-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Lindros
Old 12-10-2020, 09:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Lindros
I disagree. He was a force out there and averaged 1.23 points per game, or 1.36 with Philly, and only behind Jagr at the time. The only thing missing from his resume is a Stanley Cup but considering how he was a complete player, who had a target on his back who always had to fight but still managed 865 points in 760 games, I think he is more than worthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-oKfMuqLf0
Old 12-11-2020, 09:27 PM

Default Nice thread

Just a couple of quick corrections:

Quote:
I remember reading that Craig Ramsey is the last player to go an entire season without committing a single penalty.
Actually Butch Goring did it in 1980-81. I am not certain if anyone has done it since.

Quote:
I think after one of those Soviet Wings, Red Army series in the late 70s, the Red Army coach went on and on in the Forum saying Gainey was the best defensive forward he ever saw play.
It was Viktor Tikhonov and his quote was that Gainey was the best player in the world in the technical skills of the game.

There were three dynasties in the 70's and 80's - the Canadians, the Islanders and the Oilers. The Habs have 8 Hall of Famers, the Islanders 5 and the Oilers 7. That seems about right to me, although I think you could argue the Islanders deserve more.

The Habs had Dryden, Lapointe, Savard, Robinson, Lemaire, Shutt, Lafleur and Gainey. Not certain how any of them are not HOFers plus the fact that Lapointe, Savard and Lemaire were elite players before the 4 Cups in a row.

The Islanders had Smith, Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Gillies. The only other two who might merit consideration would be Ken Morrow and Butch Goring.

The Oilers had Fuhr, Coffey, Lowe, Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Anderson for 7. Seems about right to me.

Good point about Craig Ramsey. My family had season tickets to the Sabres in the 1970's and while I was not a Sabres fan I enjoyed watching Ramsey and Luce on the ice. I have never thought of him as a Hall of Famer but I never saw Carbonneau as one either.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:11 AM
Anson

Joe Nieuwendyk. Another compiler that never led in any category. Gillies and Anderson greatly benefitted from their surrounding talent. They're questionable at best.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I wouldn't have put any of these guys in:

Guy Lapointe
Bill Barber
Steve Shutt
Clark Gillies
Guy Carbonneau
Cam Neely

On the fence about Vaclav Nedomansky.

Last edited by shagrotn77; 12-12-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
The only other two who might merit consideration would be Ken Morrow and Butch Goring.
I watched Morrow's entire career from 301 and 205 at the Coliseum, I never considered him an HoF guy, but it is a nice sentiment. Goring, I think people forget his time in Los Angeles. Sort of forgotten out there for 10 prime years.

Honestly, the player that I am surprised there isn't more of a groundswell of support is the "original" JT: John Tonelli. Interestingly enough, I've run into him several times under random circumstances over there years. First time, he and I were shooting pool at an empty bar in Midtown in the mid 90s. I drunkenly got him to call my dad from a payphone in the middle of the night to say hi. To this day, my father has no recollection of this event. I ran into him at Tiffany and Company in Manhasset in the early 2000s. I brought up the phone call and we BS'd a bit. Then, I ran into at the ground breaking for Belmont. He had just finished up his meet and greet and I bumped into him with my two little kids. As he left, I said, "John, you were 7 points away from 1000 for your career!" and he cut me off and said, "My son tells me this all the time...." and then proceeded to tell me he should have hung around for those 7 points.

He was an extremely important part of that Isles team. I wonder if the Flames won in 86 or if he was on that 89 team if he would have gotten some more consideration. He's another formidable player. As Gillies was the toughest player in the league for the better part of late 70s and 80s, Tonelli was the best corner man in the league for over a decade. It is easy to talk to former Isles here on the Island, but I'd really like to talk to Flames, Kings and Aeros fans. He's closer than you'd think, too.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:33 PM
Anson

No offense, but there's a lot of reminiscing and "homer" justification with many of these arguments. Sure, the names in question were extremely valuable to their teams and contributed to their success. Counting numbers are generally the key for most players, unless they're strongly disliked by the hockey writers.
Honestly, I could probably have put 60 points up each year if I found myself on the top six of those Isles, Habs, or Oilers teams.

I agree with the statement about having Orr in the same space as Gillies. But every other sport has the same challenge. Their Halls of Fame have a fair number of Hall of Very Goods in them.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Lindros
I'm with you on this on! I know he had a few solid seasons, but he was built up to be one of the all time greats.

Refusing to play for Quebec really turned me off too. Always had the attitude that he was an elite player before he played many games.

Even his best seasons weren't elite when compared to other guys his size in the 90's. I never thought he would get in to the HOF!
Old 12-22-2020, 09:11 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohman99 View Post
I'm with you on this on! I know he had a few solid seasons, but he was built up to be one of the all time greats.

Refusing to play for Quebec really turned me off too. Always had the attitude that he was an elite player before he played many games.

Even his best seasons weren't elite when compared to other guys his size in the 90's. I never thought he would get in to the HOF!
His refusal to play for Quebec was based on the owner, Marcel Abut, not the team itself. He said if Marcel Abut was the owner of the Leaf's, he would have refused to play for them as well. As you will see, once the people found out how much of scum bag Marcel was, they welcomed Lindros back with open arms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm1b3_u4c9U

Marcel Abut's charges. Lindros knew about him and his behavior but of course the media didn't mention anything about it because they love a story.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...orced%20kisses.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...peaks-out.html
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle28179183/
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/2...ives-1.3409544
Old 12-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Anson

The NHL so badly wanted Lindros to be "The Next One". He was a monster for Oshawa in the OHL and coming up at a time when there was a deep pool of talent coming from eastern Europe. Remember, this was right after the Iron Curtain fell and there was still a lot of uncertainty and distaste for former USSR countries. The early 90's saw the likes of Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Bure, Niklas Lidstrom, and Alexander Mogilny come to their own. Lindros had all of the raw tools and tremendous size to change the game and draw in new fans. But, the concussions, many as a result of immaturity, steered his path a different direction.

For the record, I can't stand Lindros. But he was quite a force when paired up with LeClair.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:21 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Gainey
Goring
Carbonneau
Ramsay

It was you that asked the question.