NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2021, 10:21 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Paid Survey for Collectors

We sent this out to members last night. Got the greenlight from Leon to post it here. Feel free to post questions and I’ll do my best to answer them. Yes, I know what company it is, and no, I can’t say Cheers.

Collectors,
I hope you've had a nice holiday season. WSSCA has been approached by a reputable research firm doing a survey for a major card producer. They are conducting a search for applicants for this 2 hour on-line study, with generous compensation for those who qualify and complete the study. More information and directions for application can be found at the link below.

This is your chance to give input and possibly shape the future of collecting. They are looking to fill many spots, so feel free to pass this on to any collector you think might be interested.

All the best,
Conor Donahue
WSSCA VP Publicity

Who: Individuals 18 and older
What: A 2-hour online focus group session that will be conducted via a web conferencing service
When: The focus groups are being conducted on January 26th, 27th or 28th; time of the session will depend on what group you qualify for and what time zone you live in
Honorarium: $200 Amazon gift card as a thank you for your time and opinions, the gift card will be emailed to you within a week of the study completion

https://research.insightspace.com/Pages/survey13826.asp

Last edited by conor912; 12-29-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:56 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

well, I did it.

Come what may. A bit more invasive than I may like, but it is done.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:26 PM
Howard Chasser

Default got as far as ...date of birth

I tried to put in just the year and it wouldn't let me. Far enough for me.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:25 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

In my opinion, don't waste your time. They gathered some information including phone # , email, & how much your collection is worth. After all this, they said "No Thanks".

I feel.....so... used!
Old 12-30-2021, 09:02 AM
Ed Jensen

I agree. They asked a lot of detailed information, then at the very end, informed me that my profile did not fit the needs of the study.

It would have been much smarter for them to specify the characteristics they are seeking before making me provide that information.

Unless it is a scam. They got quite a bit of information out of me (email address, phone number, and some information about what I collect and its value). Anyone who is at all nervous about this should disregard this request completely.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:04 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Interesting, I did not get anything at the end that said 'thanks but no thanks'. So don't know what to take of that.

I asked the OP for more information regarding this survey, I hope he replies.

Regards,

B. T.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:25 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedDane View Post
I agree. They asked a lot of detailed information, then at the very end, informed me that my profile did not fit the needs of the study.

It would have been much smarter for them to specify the characteristics they are seeking before making me provide that information.

Unless it is a scam. They got quite a bit of information out of me (email address, phone number, and some information about what I collect and its value). Anyone who is at all nervous about this should disregard this request completely.
I can't comment on the invasiveness, but I can say it's not a scam.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:46 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Interesting, I did not get anything at the end that said 'thanks but no thanks'. So don't know what to take of that.

I asked the OP for more information regarding this survey, I hope he replies.

Regards,

B. T.
Butch,

I have no further info. All I know is it is legit. They are looking for a specific type of collector. I don't know what that is. They are sifting through applicants and need some information to do that on. I do know that most on on-line survey/focus groups usually pay something like $10/hr, so for $100/hr they expect to get their money's worth. I do think it's crappy that they ask for so much info and then turn you down. If anyone's skittish, don't do it. For anyone who thinks it's worth it, go for it.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:09 PM
Ben North

If all else fails is it a great way to get contact info for free. If you guys that got turned down start getting flooded with advertising let us know.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If all else fails is it a great way to get contact info for free. If you guys that got turned down start getting flooded with advertising let us know.
If?

It sounds like there are quite a few questions that I probably wouldn't feel comfortable answering.

Last edited by Fred; 12-30-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Butch,

I have no further info. All I know is it is legit. They are looking for a specific type of collector. I don't know what that is. They are sifting through applicants and need some information to do that on. I do know that most on on-line survey/focus groups usually pay something like $10/hr, so for $100/hr they expect to get their money's worth. I do think it's crappy that they ask for so much info and then turn you down. If anyone's skittish, don't do it. For anyone who thinks it's worth it, go for it.
If you think it's crappy why are you promoting it?

Last edited by Leon; 12-30-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:49 PM
Rob

I went through and got the heave-ho as well. No new spam to report as of yet.

It will be interesting to see if anyone here is selected.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:49 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

He may be a FAN of the company he thinks it is or resides in their ATTIC. ;-) But that would just be me guessing.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:13 PM
Dan Bl@u

I did the intro survey last night and seems that I did make it through...says they will be contacting me to schedule the focus group. Glad that someone else out there appreciates my collecting habits
Old 12-30-2021, 01:16 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you think it's crappy why are you promoting it?
Leon, like you, I believe in letting people make their own choices. What’s crappy to one person may be reasonable to another given the potential payoff. If you don’t like it, remove it, but remember you ok’d it.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, like you, I believe in letting people make their own choices. What’s crappy to one person may be reasonable to another given the potential payoff. If you don’t like it, remove it, but remember you ok’d it.
I did ok it. I prefer to let everything go that makes sense and let others rate it. But so far it doesn't look like it's getting much good attention. (attention yes, good....not so sure)

Last edited by Leon; 12-30-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Mike

Default Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycee View Post
In my opinion, don't waste your time. They gathered some information including phone # , email, & how much your collection is worth. After all this, they said "No Thanks".

I feel.....so... used!
I got one step farther - they started asking me about my basketball card collection (which I never said I had) and could not proceed any farther, so that was enough for me.

--
Mike
Old 12-30-2021, 01:23 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I did ok it. I prefer to let everything go that makes sense and let others rate it. But so far it doesn't look like it's getting much good attention. (attention yes, good....not so sure)
It’s not my survey. If it dies, it dies. Makes no difference to me.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:34 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Butch,

Thanks for the reply.

B.T.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:40 PM
Jim M.arinari

It is a legitimate market research firm. I didn't think the questions were "invasive", just necessary to recruit the demographics required by the client for this particular project. Most of the answers I would willingly proffer to some dude next to me at a bar. Granted, if you were in the spending $250K+ per year, or $1M+ collection value rather than my level, I could see some hesitation.

I have participated in many focus groups ranging from Lego duplos in the 60's to television pilots in the 80's to Amazon in 2020 (NDA, forget I said that).

I was not rejected for this, but I wasn't accepted either. But I also indicated I'd be open to other projects.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:50 PM
Pete Sycks

I just gave them my social and all of my banking information. Seems legit

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-30-2021, 05:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It got weird. After I submitted the required naked photos of my girlfriend, they asked for a bone marrow sample, which was easy because I've had multiple surgeries this year, but when they told me I needed to wear a mask to complete the rest of the survey???? That, my friends, was a bridge too far!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-30-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:07 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It got weird. After I submitted the required naked photos of my girlfriend, they asked for a bone marrow sample, which was easy because I've had multiple surgeries this year, but when they told me I needed to wear a mask to complete the rest of the survey???? That, my friends, was a bridge too far!!
Well>……………………..

That escalated quickly.

Cheers,

B. T.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I forgot to add this:

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.