NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default Tidbit of info on The National

Posted By: leon

Scott B and I have booked our reservations for air and hotel to the National this year (Aug 1-5). We are staying at the Sheraton Cleveland Airport Hotel, right across from the IX Center, where the show will be held. If anyone is going, and wants to stay there, it's best to go through the National website to do it....

http://www.nsccshow.com/

I went to the Sheraton website and it was $169 a night, plus taxes...so then I went to the National website, above, and booked it for $119 a night, plus taxes. We'll be getting there on Wednesday and leaving Sat and Sun respectively....(I look for last minute bargains and Scott gets back Sat. as he has a real job).....

Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Leon--

Any thoughts on which night the Net 54 dinner will be held? Mark

Old 02-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

I don't know right this moment. I am sure it will be either Thursday night or Friday night....I will try to get that firmed up soon...(actually have already tried but to no avail)....regards

Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Sounds great Leon. I will be at the dinner !!!!

Alan

Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Friday.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I agree with Steve. The Indians' only home game is Thursday so I'd vote for Friday for the dinner.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I love the Jake! Maybe I can get lucky and score my front row seats again. If I am able to score them Bob I'll let you know - I will most likely have two extra for the game, since Jimi and I will most likely be the only ones heading to Cleveland this year. The seats are right behind the visitor's dugout. If it is on TV you are right in the middle of the TV screen when there is a left handed batter up.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

The net54 Dinner will be on Friday night.....I hope all can attend

Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator

More details will come in the next months but the Net54 dinner will be held at the Sheraton, by coincidence where I am staying, right near the IX Center....it will be held on Friday night....again, more details in the next months but it will be similar to last year except I won't forget the side dishes ......

Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I'm staying at the Sheraton too. Huzzah!

That must be where all the armpit collectors are staying!

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Bryan- Count me in! I can think of no better company than you and Jimi.
tbob

Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

booked a room at the Sheraton.

As this will be my first away from Chicago National I have a couple of questions:

1. Are any of you bringing "significant others"?

2. If so, are they invited to the Net54 Friday evening festivities?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

My girlfriend laughed when I asked her if she wanted to go to Cleveland for a couple of days this summer...LOL. The Sheraton sounds like the best bet as far as hotels are concerned.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'm there.

No spouses. Not that they're barred but exposing them to this bunch could wreck the relationship

Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Dave,
my girlfriend had the same reaction. "Yeah, real romantic, Romeo!"

I hear the rooms at the Sheraton are filling up fast, but that's probably because the entire Dorskind group is staying there.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

I'm really looking forward to meeting others from this message board. Are there any other organized social activities in the evenings other than the network 54 dinner ?

Alan

Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

This is really all I care about.

--Chad

Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Dave- I know the feeling. I asked my wife if she wanted to join me at the National (she is an inveterate sight-seer and shopper par excellence) and she said, Cleveland? You've got to be joking, right? This from the lady who thoroughly enjoyed accompanying me to the National in Chicago. So I'll be hanging with the cardboard guys 24/7
tbob

Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Spouses and children will be invited too but I wouldn't bring my 10 yr old there, personally....There will be much partaking and that can lead to some acting up...mainly language....But all are welcome....I am in talks with the Sheraton to firm everything up. The person that solidifies the room and arrangements is out today...They are under heavy snow and most didn't go into work today. We had a very good time last year and I am sure it will be no different this year. Last year a few wives did attend and it was fine....regards

Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Just booked a room (at the Sheraton).
I feel like I've had enough first dates with all the chit chat, I really just want to drink with you guys
Can't wait.

Daniel

Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

I'll never be able to tell my wife that I'm flying to Cleveland for a card show. Do you guys have any ideas.

Last year I told her I was going to Las Vegas to see some old friends...I can't use the Vegas excuse anymore...she'll start suspecting that I'm going to blow my budget on the National.

Peter

Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I missed the Anaheim show after having attended the prior three Nationals. I look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland and would urge Board members who have never attended the National to give it serious consideration. Good fun. Mark

Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

The last National that I went to was the one in Atlantic City. Loved the show it !!! Since so much of the desired material is in the auction houses and ebay, you should go to the National & enjoy the social stuff (meeting the collectors, dealers, auction houses, network 54 dinner, etc,...) Treat it as a vacation !!!!

Alan

Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

I am solidifying the 4th Annual National Net54 Dinner as we speak. Looks like fajitas again...this time with a few side items ......It will be at the Sheraton, across the street from the center, on Aug 3rd (Friday), and where many folks including myself, will be staying. It's great to have a few cold ones, hoot and holler a little, and go upstairs to your room...I am searching for a guest speaker and have my feelers out...There will be cold beverages served and this will all be in our own private room again. I told them that at the most I want very soft music, but we may nix that altogether. There will be some horse duvers (sic) too, before dinner. It will start at about 6pm and we have the room till midnight....I think we may have a full sponsor but if we don't then I will probably pick up about half of the total cost with banner ad money, as I said I would. I will give more details when we get a lot closer.....If anyone is going to the dinner and/or the National I think the Sheraton will be as good as anywhere to stay....and no, I don't have stock in the company...Everyone is invited including significant others...and even children but please remember there will be drinking and bar language.........best regards

Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I won't be getting in until late Friday. Leon, save me a fajita. Thanks.

If you guys can stay up past 1030pm, I'm game on for a nightcap.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

We partake well. Last time they ran us out into the bar at about 12:30.....and let us bring handfuls of cold ones with us...I think the dinners have gotten progressively better...I am sure all that attend will have a good time...we'll save some for ya'......

Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

I'll be driving in Friday from Chicago. Arriving well in time to check in and have some din. Offer still open if anyone from this area wants to ride along. Have room for one in my convert and will be driving back Sunday.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

*Last time they ran us out into the bar at about 12:30.....and let us bring handfuls of cold ones with us.*

So let me get this straight. You get wined and dined and THEN sent back to your room with a goody bag. Sounds like a bargain. I may have to attend this year.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

The date, menu and location for the National dinner was nailed down in less than 10 posts? What's wrong with you people??? And the pro-let's overpopulate-the-world-with-unwanted-welfare-children didn't even chime in...Amazing!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

It was better than that. When they politely told us we had to go they let us bring as many as we could carry into the room next to it...with pool tables etc.....I remember drinking Corona's until I got tired of them....which is quite a few....I don't know if they will let us this time or not....different venue and all....

Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

The same damn bartender has been there since I did my first National in Cleveland in 1999(I think) and he is slow as dirt and doesn't give a damn if you get served or not. I have been there 2 times since 1999 and he is always there and usually by himself. You would think they would plan the staff accordingly I am sure others who have made the Cleveland Sheraton know the bartender I am speaking of.

Scott

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Just got back from Australia after 3 weeks of beer, sun and more beer...and I noticed in another thread that the dinner night for the National has been changed.

Leon, is that right? Now on Thursday?
I can't make it in until Friday and was really only coming for the dinner.

Seriously bummed.

Daniel

Old 03-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Yes, there was a conflict and the Net54 Dinner had to be moved to Thursday. I apologize and know a few folks won't be able to make it now. I do feel bad but there wasn't much way around it. If you come in on Friday you can still meet everyone from Net54 that is going to the National. Sorry about this.....I do hope you can make it in. Heck, most of the folks will be at, or stop by for a while, at Scott B's, my, and Richard Masson's table (I think Richard will have a case again..)...I look forward to meeting you.....regards

Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Inasmuch as the sneak preview will be Wednesday night and the Indians game Thursday at noon (as I recall), there shouldn't be any problem with a Thursday night dinner except for the guys getting in Friday. We could still schedule an informal get together for the 54ers that night for drinks or something....

Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

as I will be arriving Friday. Would love a little informal get together sos I don't have to try to track everyone down at the show Saturday.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Glad to hear it's on Thursday night as I always fly out on Friday. See everyone there.. JC

Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

you're from there, if I recall, right?
what part did you visit?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

In Chicago I found the hotel bar get togethers as much fun as the dinner. Fewer 54ers, but not by too many as they were well attended. We even got to see Jerri from Survivor trolling the bar for men a couple of nights

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

I don't know about Jerry trolling for guys as I didn't see that. You are absolutely correct about the "after show" get togethers in the hotel pubs. We are there 4 nights and 4 nights that is where we end up....the only difference was, the night of the Net54 dinner, we ate first and drank some in a private room, got kicked out of it (it was 12am) then we went to the bar in the next room....carrying our free Coronas and drinks with us....what more can a guy ask for? I have a great time hanging out with everyone after the shows......Really a lot of fun.....

Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Well, if you guys don't meet me for a drink Friday I'm going to hunt you down and talk politics, religion and card doctoring till you dribble!

Jason, you remember rightly, I am an expat Aussie and went back without family for a 'ME' trip. Hung out with my mum and drank vodka with my soon to be 90 year old grandfather (who still works everyday as a volunteer at a hospice - they call him "the angel"), squished sand between my toes and took in the beach 'sights', and drank lots of awesome beer. Even managed a trip to Tasmania with a best mate I've known since I was 13 (26 years) and met some leaches up close on a stunning hike through the forests there.
Missed the bejeezus out of my wife and kids, but really needed some personal time - away from cards even
I'll be going back at the end of the year with the whole family, if anyone decides to make a visit to my island let me know and I'll hook you up with friends to show you round and must see places to go.

Regards all and nice to be perusing the boards again.

Daniel

Old 03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

That is without doubt the edit of the century!

Daniel

Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Daniel- I thought a visual might remind the guys here who she was. She is a real piece of work.
Leon- I think one night you left to go to some Mastro party and missed out on the "princess." The other night I think we had several tables pulled together and you were down on the far end away from the bar. I remember one of the guys from SGC kept bragging about how he could pick her up. The other guy at the table from SGC just rolled his eyes.