NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Sean Brennan

Default National: Cash or debit?

Do dealers accept debit cards at the National? Trying to figure out wether cash is a must.

thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM
pete ullman

Cash is king
Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Debit can be good though if you want to PayPal someone electronically.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am bringing a wad of cash and Sean's bodyguard. LOL

Last edited by Leon; 07-24-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

This comes up every year and the same millennials will talk about how their grandpa used to carry cash and you’re a dinosaur if you don’t take cards. Blah blah blah. If you plan on buying items and getting better or the best deals, you better bring cash and lots of it. While you’re trying to negotiate the extra 3% in to the deal and seeing if your mom put your allowance in your account, someone will be paying cash and getting the deal you thought you had.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am brining a wad of cash and Sean's bodyguard. LOL
Stay away from Gizmo and you will be fine without Sean's bodyguard.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 PM

Many will take checks as well.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:40 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
This comes up every year and the same millennials will talk about how their grandpa used to carry cash and you’re a dinosaur if you don’t take cards. Blah blah blah. If you plan on buying items and getting better or the best deals, you better bring cash and lots of it. While you’re trying to negotiate the extra 3% in to the deal and seeing if your mom put your allowance in your account, someone will be paying cash and getting the deal you thought you had.
A bit rough and rude there dear eskimo. What about the person who is genuinely asking? Someone who may have saved up a bunch of money on their own and wants to know if they need to take out a wad of cash because it's the first National they're attending? There's a lot of old school regulars here but no need to say that crap and throw shade to newcomers and younger people who are interested in our hobby. WTF?
Old 07-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I would think cash only. But most of these dealers are actual businesses. So I'd think they would be able to tale paypal, square, etc. I'd suggest if paying paypal for getting an item right then (in person), maybe suggest paying gift. That way the seller/business doesn't pay any fees on it, and it doesn't have to be shipped. Plus, it doesn't go toward their end of the year taxes.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I would think cash only. But most of these dealers are actual businesses. So I'd think they would be able to tale paypal, square, etc. I'd suggest if paying paypal for getting an item right then (in person), maybe suggest paying gift. That way the seller/business doesn't pay any fees on it, and it doesn't have to be shipped. Plus, it doesn't go toward their end of the year taxes.
Depends what you wanna buy........If you raid the dollar box like me bring a couple hundred bucks and spend most of your money on meals, hotel, and other fun stuff with friends. That’s where the enjoyment of the National is for me...having fun spending time with good fiends Cards Come Last :-)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Cash is going to put you in a better negotiating position, just don't chum those sharks too much by giving them a peek of what you're holding. Only after the deal is done do you pull out a wad with much, much more money than you just agreed to pay.
I work in Rosemont, and I can't think of a venue with better overall security than DES Convention Center. Don't worry about carrying cash on you.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:30 PM
Don Hontz

I have vintage graded cards---I only take cash, paypal, checks if I know you or have a good reference. No credit cards---Cash is King and I also buy with cash.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
A bit rough and rude there dear eskimo. What about the person who is genuinely asking? Someone who may have saved up a bunch of money on their own and wants to know if they need to take out a wad of cash because it's the first National they're attending? There's a lot of old school regulars here but no need to say that crap and throw shade to newcomers and younger people who are interested in our hobby. WTF?
Well Kat,
I appreciate your well thought out comments, but maybe you should refer to other threads I am referencing before running your mouth. There were plenty of insults for the cash people in the past. Thanks for your input
Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

With narrow aisles, large crowds and wads of cash in pockets, the National is a paradise for pickpockets. Security has improved but these guys are sophisticated and slippery. So if you are going to be carrying lots of crisp Benjamins on your body, I would you suggest you have a money belt and/or a concealed carry permit.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
With narrow aisles, large crowds and wads of cash in pockets, the National is a paradise for pickpockets. Security has improved but these guys are sophisticated and slippery. So if you are going to be carrying lots of crisp Benjamins on your body, I would you suggest you have a money belt and/or a concealed carry permit.
No guns allowed, but go ahead and bring the permit
Old 07-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Are there metal detectors and or frisk searches at this National? If not there should be.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-24-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:30 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

No. There’s not. Just a bunch of people who enjoy sports collectibles and a few unscrupulous “industry leaders”. There is a fair amount of theft from dealers so don’t leave your bags so they can walk away, but no worries about violence or robberies.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
No. There’s not. Just a bunch of people who enjoy sports collectibles and a few unscrupulous “industry leaders”. There is a fair amount of theft from dealers so don’t leave your bags so they can walk away, but no worries about violence or robberies.
Let’s hope not I know the rooms are always loaded with unscrupulous vest pocket dealers who would steal the shoelaces off your shoes to make a buck. I was getting worried that this location was in the hood or something....I’ve never been to Chicago or Rosemont.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-24-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Are there metal detectors and or frisk searches at this National? If not there should be.
Rosemont venues do not have metal detectors for ticketholders, unless requested by an artist or promoter. The village does have a zero tolerance policy, which means all arrests for firearms violations will be prosecuted.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
Rosemont venues do not have metal detectors for ticketholders, unless requested by an artist or promoter. The village does have a zero tolerance policy, which means all arrests for firearms violations will be prosecuted.
Is it safe to walk around that area outside of the convention center ?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Let’s hope not I know the rooms are always loaded with unscrupulous vest pocket dealers who would steal the shoelaces off your shoes to make a buck. I was getting worried that this location was in the hood or something....I’ve never been to Chicago or Rosemont.
Johnny,
I work for the village and I can assure you that the DESCC and the nightclub district are far, far safer than any district in Chicago. In addition to the many uniformed auxiliary police (carrying), there are a slew of plainclothes roaming. Rosemont has made strides over the past two decades to make itself a destination for conventions and tourists, and it puts in heavy resources to protect the investment, and the reputation. All summer long, there are free outdoor concerts for all ages. There is an IL minor league baseball team, the Chicago Dogs. There's a free shuttle-you can visit all these places without walking too much. There's a Capital Grille, Gibson's and Morton's right by the DESCC, all upscale places.

Pickpockets? You'd have to be nuts to try it. There's nowhere to run...you have a small egress (not counting wired fire doors) and you have to go down one of the slowest escalators I know of. You could maybe run the breezeway to the garage, but there's cops all over the place. Since it's a municipal building, I'm sure they'd think up a slew of additional charges for attempting such a thing
Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Rosemont is a nice area well outside downtown Chicago. Just don't get drunk at the Net54 get together and pass out on the sidewalk on your way home with a pocket full of cash. That's asking for trouble no matter where you do it.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
Rosemont is a nice area well outside downtown Chicago. Just don't get drunk at the Net54 get together and pass out on the sidewalk on your way home with a pocket full of cash. That's asking for trouble no matter where you do it.
Thanks for all the info gentleman....I don’t drink so I’ll be good with that :-)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Stay away from Gizmo and you will be fine without Sean's bodyguard.
Sonny Boy

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

When I went I brought some cash, my check book, and checked for the closest branch of my bank to the show if necessary. I assumed most dealers would know someone who would vouch for me if needed, but if not knew I could access what I needed and could avoid walking around with more cash than I'd like to carry.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:27 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

What will happen if I hand $500 in cash to a dealer for a graded card and then ask for a receipt - something that has the dealer's name and the card I'm buying along with the price. Because that's exactly what I intend to do.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
What will happen if I hand $500 in cash to a dealer for a graded card and then ask for a receipt - something that has the dealer's name and the card I'm buying along with the price. Because that's exactly what I intend to do.
Depending on the dealer you will either get handed a receipt or get that deer in the headlights blank stare. Everyone should be asking for a receipt if the dealer is not handing them out on their own.

If we are going to clean up the trimmers and shill bidders we should clean up the dealers not paying taxes also. If they don't offer a receipt just move on to one that does.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 AM

Cash.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket and be semi-alert. You will be fine. I think there is more danger of theft at dealer tables (thieves taking things from dealers) than pick-pockets or mugging. And stay away from the PWCC booth, bc that’s likely where the most unsavory characters will congregate.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Depending on the dealer you will either get handed a receipt or get that deer in the headlights blank stare. Everyone should be asking for a receipt if the dealer is not handing them out on their own.

If we are going to clean up the trimmers and shill bidders we should clean up the dealers not paying taxes also. If they don't offer a receipt just move on to one that does.
so true!!!!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
Cash is going to put you in a better negotiating position, just don't chum those sharks too much by giving them a peek of what you're holding. Only after the deal is done do you pull out a wad with much, much more money than you just agreed to pay.
I work in Rosemont, and I can't think of a venue with better overall security than DES Convention Center. Don't worry about carrying cash on you.
Live here too. It's right near the airport. The airport is 45 minutes from downtown. Nice place and safe. However, if you plan to go to see the White Sox play at Comisky (south Chicago), I wouldn't take a bunch of cash there :-).
Old 07-25-2019, 08:14 AM

My experience at the National was I didn't need either because there was nothing to buy, only table top museums you could visit.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
My experience at the National was I didn't need either because there was nothing to buy, only table top museums you could visit.
That’s funny.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:36 PM

As others have said...Cash is king! When I used to go to nationals. I made up a budget and brought the equivalent in cash...but one time I did find something that I wasn't expecting to find at a price that I couldn't refuse...but I only had about 1/2 in cash. Luckily, the dealer knew me from previous transactions over mail, so he graciously accepted my check. I told him he could even ship it to me after the convention until it cleared, but he sold it to me on the spot.

Ricky Y
Old 07-27-2019, 07:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That has been my experience the last few times I have gone. But I went ahead and went to the bank yesterday just in case this time is different!! You have to be prepared to strike and hundreds will do the trick when the time is right.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Well Kat,
I appreciate your well thought out comments, but maybe you should refer to other threads I am referencing before running your mouth. There were plenty of insults for the cash people in the past. Thanks for your input
+1
Old 07-27-2019, 09:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wondering how big the budget is of people advocating for wandering around for a few days with a huge bankroll of cash. I’d have no problem carrying around $1000 or $1500. I certainly wouldn't be wandering the halls and throwing beers down with a roll of $5,000 or $10,000 in my front pocket.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-27-2019 at 09:40 AM.