NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Industry participants' response to scandal so far -- report card

Just for kicks. My opinion, let's see what others think.

PSA -- only thing I have seen is the Sloan letter, which I would grade an F.
Beckett -- is there a grade lower than F?
PWCC -- last thing I have seen is the piece about slandering cards. If they're
making serious restitution behind the scenes then good, but as to their public response, D. (At least they indicated an intent to cut off card doctors, although the jury is out.)
LOTG -- A+. Thanks to Al for taking a stand.
Scott R -- A+ for speaking out and condemning the fraud.
Other AH's and dealers (and sorry if I have missed any who have spoken out) -- radio silence. Very encouraging that you're all stepping up to the plate and offering your perspective and guidance to the collectors on whom you depend. F.
SGC -- N/A as they haven't really been tagged, yet.
Gary -- told NYT he didn't alter cards, only bumped them. F.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-21-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:07 AM
pete ullman

I would add to your list that Lee of Sterling auctions has posted on facebook to raise awareness of the issues at hand.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm not quite Nostradamus, but I predict SGC will also get an F.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I would add to your list that Lee of Sterling auctions has posted on facebook to raise awareness of the issues at hand.
I did not know that, thanks for pointing that out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm not quite Nostradamus, but I predict SGC will also get an F.
For what reason? Or are you just pissed because they are clean.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Why does everyone wish bad upon SGC? They have been pretty clean so far. Wouldn't it be nice if one company was actually relatively good at spotting doctored cards?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Scott Russell

They're not really clean they're just significantly less dirty at this point. Maybe a small wax stain which can be removed?

My big regret is that my behind the scenes efforts appear to have gone for naught. It's not 100% yet so I still won't go into detail. But I did work hard at making a difference, which a couple board members can attest to.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-21-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
They're not really clean they're just significantly less dirty at this point. Maybe a small wax stain which can be removed?

My big regret is that my behind the scenes efforts appear to have gone for naught. It's not 100% yet so I still won't go into detail. But I did work hard at making a difference, which a couple board members can attest to.
Scott that effort may not have paid off but there is another one that may still be viable.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Scott that effort may not have paid off but there is another one that may still be viable.
Can't imagine how I could help, but you know I'm here if I can be useful.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Didn't they Authenticate a whole bunch of fake autos on T206 .
Not so clean.

JohnP
Old 06-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP0621 View Post
Not so clean.

JohnP
But when they found out, they stopped authenticating auto's. Do you thin PSA will stop authenticating Cards?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
But when they found out, they stopped authenticating auto's. Do you thin PSA will stop authenticating Cards?
We can only hope.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
SGC also bumped some of Gary’s biggest profits with the 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson’s... they definitely have a lower quantity discovered thus far, but they aren’t really any better.

Last edited by BLongley; 06-21-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP0621 View Post
Not so clean.

JohnP
Not fair to include the autograph authentication with the card grading (SGC).

Do we include PSA/DNA with PSA's incompetence?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
SGC also bumped some of Gary’s biggest profits with the 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson’s... they definitely have a lower quantity discovered thus far, but they aren’t really any better.
I mean, they can't be exactly equally bad, but it's not definitive from the absolute numbers of grading errors revealed to date that PSAs batting average with the doctored cards is worse than SGCs. I would guess it is, but it wouldn't surprise me either way. Certainly PSA has had vastly more plate appearances. That could be because Moser/Brent knew the cards had a better chance of getting through there, but PSA would also give them a better ROI even if they figured the cards had the same chance of getting through with SGC as with PSA.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:09 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Not fair to include the autograph authentication with the card grading (SGC).

Do we include PSA/DNA with PSA's incompetence?
If we are paying for a service that isn't being accurately provided why wouldn't we hold them accountable? If PSA, SGC, or anyone else can't tell the difference between a real or forged signature that's just as bad as being unable to distinguish between an altered or unaltered card.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If we are paying for a service that isn't being accurately provided why wouldn't we hold them accountable? If PSA, SGC, or anyone else can't tell the difference between a real or forged signature that's just as bad as being unable to distinguish between an altered or unaltered card.
First of all I find all autograph authenticators worthless. Many years ago I sent in some auto's to what was supposed to be the top authenticator. They came back as fake. Yet when I sent these same auto's to an auction house the same guys authenticated them as good. They are a total joke.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:04 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying they shouldn't be held accountable. Of course they should. I'm saying they're two separate issues. We're talking card doctoring, not autograph authentication.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
First of all I find all autograph authenticators worthless. Many years ago I sent in some auto's to what was supposed to be the top authenticator. They came back as fake. Yet when I sent these same auto's to an auction house the same guys authenticated them as good. They are a total joke.
+1
Old 06-21-2019, 02:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I'm not saying they shouldn't be held accountable. Of course they should. I'm saying they're two separate issues. We're talking card doctoring, not autograph authentication.
I don't really think we disagree, although I do think it's fair to include incompetence in one area with another. Both issues are relevant and important.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Unless there are reports that PSA and PWCC haven’t been refunding clients, I don’t believe F and D respectively is appropriate. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by jhs5120; 06-21-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Unless there are reports that PSA and PWCC haven’t been refunding clients, I don’t believe F and D respectively is appropriate. I could be wrong though.
Sloan specifically said contact the seller, not us. Why should I assume PSA is refunding people? The burden is on them not us at this point. Has anyone indicated PSA refunded them? Has PSA accepted responsibility for ANYTHING? Please.

And how many people have said PWCC refunded them? One guy maybe, or two? Again, with all the nonsense they've pulled off for years, the burden is on them to show their good faith in my eyes. And it wouldn't even be good faith, really, more like desperation.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Sloan specifically said contact the seller, not us. Why should I assume PSA is refunding people? The burden is on them not us at this point. Has anyone indicated PSA refunded them? Has PSA accepted responsibility for ANYTHING? Please.

And how many people have said PWCC refunded them? One guy maybe, or two? Again, with all the nonsense they've pulled off for years, the burden is on them to show their good faith in my eyes. And it wouldn't even be in good faith, really, more like desperation.
I have yet to hear anyone vent about not receiving a refund. If PSA was being difficult with victims (many are on this board), I'd imagine we would hear something. Again, I could be wrong, but I'd imagine PSA and/or PWCC are requesting victims sign NDAs.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I have yet to hear anyone vent about not receiving a refund. If PSA was being difficult with victims (many are on this board), I'd imagine we would hear something. Again, I could be wrong, but I'd imagine PSA and/or PWCC are requesting victims sign NDAs.
No, a guy just posted yesterday about a PWCC refund, he did not mention an NDA. Why you would give these people the benefit of the doubt at this point, given all that has transpired, after years of fraud and incompetence and coverups, is beyond me, but whatever we all have our perspectives.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Banned

peter do “other auction houses and dealers” know they are to report to you what they have and haven’t been doing? does pwcc know it’s supposed to keep you posted on refunds it has made? I would assume if you are grading all of these businesses, you have requested they keep you informed so you can make accurate assessments and not ones that are just based on what you’ve heard or read in an auction house’s blog post. otherwise you appear to be trying too hard to stay relevant in this mess.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
No, a guy just posted yesterday about a PWCC refund, he did not mention an NDA. Why you would give these people the benefit of the doubt at this point, given all that has transpired, after years of fraud and incompetence and coverups, is beyond me, but whatever we all have our perspectives.
I saw this quote in someones signature line and I think it fits perfectly.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
Old 06-21-2019, 03:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I should be on that list, saying "They're a bunch of bloody wankers."
Old 06-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I look around and see no one complaining about refunds, it's not so much a "benefit of the doubt" as a reasonable guess that people are receiving refunds.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
peter do “other auction houses and dealers” know they are to report to you what they have and haven’t been doing? does pwcc know it’s supposed to keep you posted on refunds it has made? I would assume if you are grading all of these businesses, you have requested they keep you informed so you can make accurate assessments and not ones that are just based on what you’ve heard or read in an auction house’s blog post. otherwise you appear to be trying too hard to stay relevant in this mess.
Misunderstood your post intiially, sorry. But leaving aside your stupid ad hominem remark, yes I think these hobby leaders (the other AHs and dealers) should be coming forward like a few have done and giving us their perspective. They're not shy about reaching out when they want to promote their auctions, how about reaching out when there is great uncertainty and people don't know what to make of the situation? As for PWCC, they massively breached the public trust to the tune of 70 percent of this forum not dealing with them. The way to try to restore confidence would be by telling the public what they are doing to restore that trust, not secret payments with an NDA.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Bad stuff gets by them too, and they also won't do anything except fall back on "we were right" when they very obviously weren't.

If that's "clean" I guess we define things differently.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

With all due respect to the smaller auction houses, the only statements I'd like to hear are from the Heritages and REAs of the world. The others are not significant in the general scheme of things.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbuu View Post
Why does everyone wish bad upon SGC? They have been pretty clean so far. Wouldn't it be nice if one company was actually relatively good at spotting doctored cards?
I don't wish bad on them, they may be marginally better at spotting alterations, or simply more cautious about things. But as far as I know they dodge responsibility with the best of them.

And of course, PSA is so bad almost anyone could be relatively good in comparison.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I don't wish bad on them, they may be marginally better at spotting alterations, or simply more cautious about things. But as far as I know they dodge responsibility with the best of them.

And of course, PSA is so bad almost anyone could be relatively good in comparison.
Not Beckett, apparently.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:47 PM

I can go on record saying that Gary Moser, nor any of the other named card doctors have ever consigned to my auction.

I did not know I needed to weigh-in, if there was no issue with my consignors. Apparently judgement has already been passed.

Scott

Brockelman Auctions

Last edited by sb1; 06-21-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Banned

i am experiencing great uncertainty and don’t know what to make of the situation. please help.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
i am experiencing great uncertainty and don’t know what to make of the situation. please help.
I will do what I can for you. If you have any Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Ted Williams, or Eddie Mathews cards/memorabilia sell it to me know really cheap before it becomes completely worthless. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Not Beckett, apparently.
Nice.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
My favorite story is the one I read of a guy who got an auto at a card show, walked over to an authenticator to get it slabbed, and was told it was fake.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
My favorite story is the one I read of a guy who got an auto at a card show, walked over to an authenticator to get it slabbed, and was told it was fake.
Funny but on a serious note on the flip side of the altered card stuff there are lots of those sorts of errors in grading as well, that is, perfectly fine cards that get rejected. The consequences are not as serious, but it can be bad news for people trying to earn money selling cards.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-21-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbuu View Post
They are not clean. They've authenticated forged autographs and that one is still being investigated by the FBI.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I can go on record saying that Gary Moser, nor any of the other named card doctors have ever consigned to my auction.

I did not know I needed to weigh-in, if there was no issue with my consignors. Apparently judgement has already been passed.

Scott

Brockelman Auctions
I would upgrade Brockelman to an A for this response.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I would upgrade Brockelman to an A for this response.
Yes I agree, I am sure most of us except Ronnie who is self-sufficient appreciate the response by Scott.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:30 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Funny but on a serious note on the flip side of the altered card stuff there are lots of those sorts of errors in grading as well, that is, perfectly fine cards that get rejected. The consequences are not as serious, but it can be bad news for people trying to earn money selling cards.
True. I've had PSA reject a card I had just pulled from a cello pack.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Banned

good quote peter. hopefully for your sake it makes it into print somewhere.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
good quote peter. hopefully for your sake it makes it into print somewhere.
I enjoy the snide remarks, please do keep them coming, and thank you for your contributions.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Misunderstood your post intiially, sorry. But leaving aside your stupid ad hominem remark, yes I think these hobby leaders (the other AHs and dealers) should be coming forward like a few have done and giving us their perspective. They're not shy about reaching out when they want to promote their auctions, how about reaching out when there is great uncertainty and people don't know what to make of the situation? As for PWCC, they massively breached the public trust to the tune of 70 percent of this forum not dealing with them. The way to try to restore confidence would be by telling the public what they are doing to restore that trust, not secret payments with an NDA.
PWCC and PSA are making secret payments and securing NDAs? What’s the source for that? And what’s a secret payment?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
They are not clean. They've authenticated forged autographs and that one is still being investigated by the FBI.
SGC is being investigated by the FBI? Are they aware of this?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
PWCC and PSA are making secret payments and securing NDAs? What’s the source for that? And what’s a secret payment?
That was Jason's theory. You have to read his post.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...8&postcount=23

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-21-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
That was Jason's theory. You have to read his post.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...8&postcount=23
But admittedly based on his imagination and nothing concrete. You understand that it makes no sense for PWCC or PSA to insist upon an NDA.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
But admittedly based on his imagination and nothing concrete. You understand that it makes no sense for PWCC or PSA to insist upon an NDA.
That's been my point, as I have posted several times.