NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome back Mr. Lemke

Posted By: Paul

I saw Bob Lemke's name on another thread, and just wanted to say "Welcome Back." I hope you are here to stay and share your knowledge with us, and can let us know how you've been doing in your post-SCD life.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Bob,

If you're still checking this site out, what are you doing nowadays??? Where are you working?

Frank.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

He still works for Krause doesn't he??? I thought I read that he was moving to another collectible that they cover? Maybe I'm misremembering in my old age.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

I hadn't realized that the details of my current situation had not been adequately promulgated on this forum. After more than 32 years, I left Krause (now F+W, tomorrow ?) on May 1, 2006. I joined Whitman Publishing Co., Atlanta (for many years headquarterd in Racine, Wis.), a subsidiary of Anderson Press, Florence, Ala.
You may know Whitman best for its #1 worldwide best-seller of all time, A Guide Book of United States Coins by R.S. Yeoman (the "Red Book".) I am editor of Whitman World Publications (books). Primarily I compile world coin reference catalogs/price guides. I remain in Iola, Wis., in a one-man editorial office.
While my mobility is even more limited than in the past, I hope to get onto the coin show circuit a bit more often in the future.

My baseball card hobby involvement is very limited these days. I'm mostly an observer, trying to make time on my coffee breaks, lunchtime and weekends to keep current with the vintage bbc world via this forum. My real hobby these days is creating my own baseball and football cards. I have a site on Photobucket with most of my custom creations pictured; you can access them by typing goldflamedpt into the search, and it will ask you if you meant user name. I have "albums" there for my 1955 Topps-style college football cards, misc. football cards and baseball card creations. Much more to come.

I do not miss the responsibility of being the principal author of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. In reality, I do miss the actual compilation of new listings for vintage issues, and updating -- often on the basis of what this forum comes up with -- existing listings. For instance, I belive if I was still editing the book, I'd pull the Ty Cobb Tobacco card out of T206 and give it it's own listing. But I don't miss the pressures of trying to maintain the quality of the book in the face of ever-more restrictive dictates from a bottom line-squeezing management.

I'll keep lurking here, and try to pitch in when I have something germane to contribute. It was a struggle to keep from contributing to the recent Lew Lipset thread; I've never been banned from his auctions, but when I was publisher at SCD, I did ban HIM from advertising . . . and Bill Heitman, too. Long stories for another time.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Bob- I have a near complete run of R.S. Yeoman's Redbooks that go back to 1957. These were my actual childhood copies. Isn't it one of the best selling books in the history of publishing? ...Oh you mentioned it in your thread- it is the best selling book. Sorry.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

All the best in your current business role. We always appreciated the Krause Big Book additions you made and the contributions you made to this board...Both will be missing something without you.....I hope you continue to lurk and do chime in from time to time.........warmest regards

Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Bob,
Have you found some new evidence that would justify changing the designation of the Cobb back?
JimB

Old 03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Bob, it's good to hear from you. I hope everything goes well with your new job.
Bob M.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

My first suggestion for the Red book would be that they put it on a cd-rom and make it searchable. I would pay more than the book for this option.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The Red Book was part of my childhood. I even remember the Blue Book- that was the one dealers were supposed to use to determine what to pay for a coin for resale.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hi bob,
i too wish you nothing but the best in your new career.

your topps all american lou gehrig is, and always will be, one of my favorite cards.

best regards
andy becker

Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I would like to wish you great success with your new adventure.

And Bob, I still have fond memories of all the support and encouragement you provided me regarding all my BB
and FB articles on the 1948 thru 1953 Bowman cards that you published in the early 1980's in your BASEBALL
CARDS Magazine and SCD.

Thanks again,

TED Z

Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Mr. Lemke-- The '55 Topps cards are classics, especially Jack Kennedy and the Stooges. Mark