NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2019, 06:01 PM
Dave Johnson

Default A day off with Sam Crawford and Small town baseball in Nebraska

I took Friday off of work with the intention of doing a little digging into history and a little background searching on Sam Crawford.

Lincoln, Nebraska is currently where I call home. Ceresco, Nebraska - which was where I grew up in the 1970's and 80's - is a small town about 15 minutes north of Lincoln. It is an agricultural community that is pretty small even today (about population 900) it is located roughly half way between Lincoln and Wahoo, Nebraska.

Wahoo is the County seat of Saunders county, and the original home of Hall of Famer Sam Crawford. To be honest, I never had much of an interest in Crawford in my younger days of collecting baseball cards. I knew a little about him, and that he was a great baseball player.Mainly I knew his name from having the chance to play many baseball games in my youth at a field in Wahoo named after him.

Like many small Nebraska towns Ceresco had their baseball team. My dad is somewhat of a historian about all things Ceresco, and he has a number of photos of the early days of the Ceresco town team. My great great uncle - Walt Rudeen played for the town team club for many years. He was born in 1885 and served in World War I. Here is a picture of the team circa 1910.

The story goes that Ceresco did not allow baseball to be played inside the city limits of the town at the time. This was likely the closest place to town (about 1/2 mile south) that had a flat enough piece of real estate and no meandering stream in order to be able to play baseball.

My dad thought they played just south of Ceresco about a half of a mile. But he wasn't born until 1944 and by then they were playing at the city park in town.

Here is the 1915 ball club out on the diamond. Note the old cars in the background. The angle I think this was taken was a little North of the road I am on, but it is a very flat piece of property that is currently near and intersection of two roads (which may not have existed in 1915)

You can see a hill in the distance in the photo. Below is a photo from as close as I could get without trespassing into a soybean field. A 4 lane highway now runs along the top of that hill where the cell phone tower is located. but I am pretty sure this is the same hill after 104 years. I think I have located where games used to be played. Not sure there were ever stands or anything, appears people likely just came out and watched, weather that meant sitting in their Model T's, or maybe just standing somewhere to take in the baseball action.

After finishing up the trip at my parents, I headed to Wahoo, I have never visited the Saunders County Museum in all of my life, although I have driven by it literally hundreds of times. They do have a small section devoted to Sam Crawford with some photos, a Sam Crawford model bat, an old Tigers cap a few cards.

I have reached out and left my contact info with a lady at the museum to see if they would want to do a short term display of some of the various cards I have collected of Crawford. If nothing else I may just make front and back scans of the stuff and put it in a booklet form that everyone can enjoy and not just for a short period of time.

The museum does have some articles from a local newspaper of his days playing for Killian Brothers which was one of the town teams in Wahoo. Crawford played for this group prior to leaving town and eventually making his way to professional baseball. Here is a early Pennant for the Killian Wahoo team as well as an advertising card for the business.

Here were two articles from the "Wahoo Wasp" one is dated from 1897 the smaller one I believe is from 1896. Both talk of games where Crawford factored into the outcome and have some exploits. Got to love the caricature of him hitting the home run!

This is likely the earliest known photo of Crawford in a baseball uniform showing him playing for the Killian's Club, I also have zoomed in a bit to get a better photo of him in the team shot.

Here is an excerpt from an SABR article talking a little more about Sam's early days in Wahoo playing baseball.

Although Sam was widely regarded as articulate, well-read and eloquent during and particularly after his playing days, he forsook his formal education after the fifth grade to work as an apprentice barber.

Crawford's trade would make for a great story in later years. National columnist Charles Dryden, in a mock interview with Crawford, had the slugger talk of building his renowned natural strength by "whacking the wind-whipped whiskers of Wahoo." It became apparent early, though, that Crawford's attention wasn't fully trained on the razor's edge. He began playing baseball at a young age, and quickly showed a talent for the game. Honing his skills playing one old cat with North Ward schoolmates, he joined a team formed by "Snakes" Crawford (likely no relation) which toured eastern Nebraska, challenging town teams for the purse on a daily basis.

The Wahoo contingent "made Cedar Bluffs, Fremont, West Point, Dodge... Schuyler... wherever there was a ball team we challenged them for a game," Crawford recalled years later. Wahoo won most of those, traveling on a lumber wagon behind a team of horses with a tent and cook stove for subsistence. "We were ballplayers on a trip and loved it."

Crawford eventually landed with Killian Bros., a local team "who had big league uniforms. We all wanted to play for Killian Brothers and get one of those uniforms," he wrote. One local crank recalled years later that Crawford earned a suit of clothes from Killian's mercantile for promising not to smoke.

Crawford moved to West Point, Nebraska, in 1898, his first gig drawing a salary to play ball, and then landed jobs barbering and playing baseball in the small Nebraska towns of Wymore and Superior. In the spring of 1899 a pitcher named John McElvaine recommended Crawford to a Chatham, Ontario, club in the Canadian League. The young outfielder tripled in his first game with Chatham, his only safety in four tries, and registered six putouts in left field. He hit .370 in 43 games, moving to Columbus and later Grand Rapids in the Western League after Chatham folded.

And lastly here is a photo in a Chicago Uniform. This would have been when Crawford was on the 1913 -14 World Tour. Can someone enlighten me as to who the other player would be? No one at the museum was aware. I figured someone here could give me the answer and then I could pass it along.

Thanks for reading my post!
Would love to see any Crawford items that you have in your collection.

Dave
Old 09-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice post; seems like a fun day. As requested:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Val Kehl

Great research & nice pics. Here's the 1910 Orange Borders card of Sam:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Orange Borders - Crawford - front.jpg (78.2 KB, 521 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Dave Johnson

Sweet Orange border. That is one I don't have in my collection.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Nice post. I grew up close to Ceresco on an acreage along Hwy 77 just South of Davey. The last time I was in Wahoo they had relocated Hwy 77 and the original welcome sign with Sam Crawford's name on it was no longer there. I always thought Wahoo could have done more to celebrate their hall of famer like St Paul does with Grover Alexander.

And not many know this but they also had another fine baseball player come out of Wahoo...Doc Steen who many here at Net54 know was a pioneer in baseball autograph collecting.

Here is a website all about the good doctor.

http://www.signedt206.com/doc-steen
Old 09-02-2019, 05:25 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Here's some tough Crawfords:

And Crawford is included in this 1914 Vatican postcard -- he's third row from the bottom, fourth in from the right, with a black hat on.

Last edited by calvindog; 09-02-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:39 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Two of my favorites: Crawford portrait circa 1914 and with Spalding bat, circa 1912.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:41 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Sorry--here are the images:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9346.jpg (68.3 KB, 472 views)
Old 09-02-2019, 06:42 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

And the portrait:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9345.jpg (67.8 KB, 476 views)
Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 AM
qualitycards

Dave Great thread!

Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 AM

I lived in Hannibal, Missouri all my life and it's the birth place and burial site of Hall of Famer Jake Beckley and this city doesn't care about this guy. It's all Mark Twain and Molly Brown.
They had a memorial dedicated in 1971 on Main Street where all the tourists are at and they moved it to Clemens Field which no one goes to so he's dumped on even more. The merchants can't make any money off him so who cares.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Dave Johnson

Great cards guys, thanks for sharing.
Does anyone know the player in the Chicago uniform with Sam?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Rob

Here's a site with the roster and more photos...

www.chicagology.com/baseball/worldtour/

My 3 guesses are Steve Evans, Jimmy Callahan, or Tris Speaker.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Steven Sadler

Default Crawford

A tough color combo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 E94 Crawford PSA 2 001.jpg (77.1 KB, 418 views)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM
Dave Johnson

I don't have a single Close Candy Crawford in my collection, so I guess that is what I will try and chase next - that blue color is really nice.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Rob

Could it be Sox pitcher Jim Scott? He's one of the only players on the roster I saw that was taller than Crawford. I am assuming Crawford is on our left. It's difficult to see their faces with the shade from the caps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206crawford2names157.jpg (45.9 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg t205scott.jpg (25.3 KB, 367 views)
Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Casey

Enjoyed your article and photos very much. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Luke Lyon

Thanks for posting! Here are my two T206 Crawfords. Each the rarest back for the pose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crawford with bat Blank Back SGC A a.jpg (82.6 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg Crawford Old Mill SGC 40 front.jpg (77.6 KB, 346 views)
Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Bob Andrews

Great post with some wonderful cards and photos.

Dan...One of my sons is a Husker and loves Lincoln and the surrounding area. I visited Davey (all six blocks of it) for a wedding. Nice folks there.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Tony Ricciardi

Great stuff!

I presume you’ve read “Glory of their Times”. Even if you have, you should definitely check out the audiobook version. In it, you hear the actual interview Lawrence Ritter did with Sam Crawford in the mid 60’s. Crawford was eloquent, funny, charming and full of some great stories. He talks about life with Ty Cobb, what a great hitter Joe Jackson was and how fast Walter Johnson threw a ball.
Simply incredible to listen to.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Tim

Default Sam Crawford interviewed

Sam Crawford in his own words.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...189A&FORM=VIRE
Old 09-05-2019, 05:49 AM
Tony Ricciardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1952tjb View Post

That’s exactly the interview I was referring to. Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Dave Johnson

Yes I have read the book a couple of times. Thanks for the audio link though, I had not run across that before. Great stuff!
Old 09-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Zees

A few from his LA Angels tenure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sam Crawford 1918 Zee.jpg (37.9 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Sam Crawford 1920 Zee.jpg (45.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Sam Crawford 1921 Zee.jpg (44.7 KB, 280 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Dave Johnson

Holy Crap batman! Love the Zeenuts. I have a 1920 but it is pretty rough, never have seen the other two you have here. The 1920 you have looks AMAZING!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great write up, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfcollector View Post
I took Friday off of work with the intention of doing a little digging into history and a little background searching on Sam Crawford.

Lincoln, Nebraska is currently where I call home. Ceresco, Nebraska - which was where I grew up in the 1970's and 80's - is a small town about 15 minutes north of Lincoln. It is an agricultural community that is pretty small even today (about population 900) it is located roughly half way between Lincoln and Wahoo, Nebraska.

Wahoo is the County seat of Saunders county, and the original home of Hall of Famer Sam Crawford. To be honest, I never had much of an interest in Crawford in my younger days of collecting baseball cards. I knew a little about him, and that he was a great baseball player.Mainly I knew his name from having the chance to play many baseball games in my youth at a field in Wahoo named after him.

Like many small Nebraska towns Ceresco had their baseball team. My dad is somewhat of a historian about all things Ceresco, and he has a number of photos of the early days of the Ceresco town team. My great great uncle - Walt Rudeen played for the town team club for many years. He was born in 1885 and served in World War I. Here is a picture of the team circa 1910.

The story goes that Ceresco did not allow baseball to be played inside the city limits of the town at the time. This was likely the closest place to town (about 1/2 mile south) that had a flat enough piece of real estate and no meandering stream in order to be able to play baseball.

My dad thought they played just south of Ceresco about a half of a mile. But he wasn't born until 1944 and by then they were playing at the city park in town.

Here is the 1915 ball club out on the diamond. Note the old cars in the background. The angle I think this was taken was a little North of the road I am on, but it is a very flat piece of property that is currently near and intersection of two roads (which may not have existed in 1915)

You can see a hill in the distance in the photo. Below is a photo from as close as I could get without trespassing into a soybean field. A 4 lane highway now runs along the top of that hill where the cell phone tower is located. but I am pretty sure this is the same hill after 104 years. I think I have located where games used to be played. Not sure there were ever stands or anything, appears people likely just came out and watched, weather that meant sitting in their Model T's, or maybe just standing somewhere to take in the baseball action.

After finishing up the trip at my parents, I headed to Wahoo, I have never visited the Saunders County Museum in all of my life, although I have driven by it literally hundreds of times. They do have a small section devoted to Sam Crawford with some photos, a Sam Crawford model bat, an old Tigers cap a few cards.

I have reached out and left my contact info with a lady at the museum to see if they would want to do a short term display of some of the various cards I have collected of Crawford. If nothing else I may just make front and back scans of the stuff and put it in a booklet form that everyone can enjoy and not just for a short period of time.

The museum does have some articles from a local newspaper of his days playing for Killian Brothers which was one of the town teams in Wahoo. Crawford played for this group prior to leaving town and eventually making his way to professional baseball. Here is a early Pennant for the Killian Wahoo team as well as an advertising card for the business.

Here were two articles from the "Wahoo Wasp" one is dated from 1897 the smaller one I believe is from 1896. Both talk of games where Crawford factored into the outcome and have some exploits. Got to love the caricature of him hitting the home run!

This is likely the earliest known photo of Crawford in a baseball uniform showing him playing for the Killian's Club, I also have zoomed in a bit to get a better photo of him in the team shot.

Here is an excerpt from an SABR article talking a little more about Sam's early days in Wahoo playing baseball.

Although Sam was widely regarded as articulate, well-read and eloquent during and particularly after his playing days, he forsook his formal education after the fifth grade to work as an apprentice barber.

Crawford's trade would make for a great story in later years. National columnist Charles Dryden, in a mock interview with Crawford, had the slugger talk of building his renowned natural strength by "whacking the wind-whipped whiskers of Wahoo." It became apparent early, though, that Crawford's attention wasn't fully trained on the razor's edge. He began playing baseball at a young age, and quickly showed a talent for the game. Honing his skills playing one old cat with North Ward schoolmates, he joined a team formed by "Snakes" Crawford (likely no relation) which toured eastern Nebraska, challenging town teams for the purse on a daily basis.

The Wahoo contingent "made Cedar Bluffs, Fremont, West Point, Dodge... Schuyler... wherever there was a ball team we challenged them for a game," Crawford recalled years later. Wahoo won most of those, traveling on a lumber wagon behind a team of horses with a tent and cook stove for subsistence. "We were ballplayers on a trip and loved it."

Crawford eventually landed with Killian Bros., a local team "who had big league uniforms. We all wanted to play for Killian Brothers and get one of those uniforms," he wrote. One local crank recalled years later that Crawford earned a suit of clothes from Killian's mercantile for promising not to smoke.

Crawford moved to West Point, Nebraska, in 1898, his first gig drawing a salary to play ball, and then landed jobs barbering and playing baseball in the small Nebraska towns of Wymore and Superior. In the spring of 1899 a pitcher named John McElvaine recommended Crawford to a Chatham, Ontario, club in the Canadian League. The young outfielder tripled in his first game with Chatham, his only safety in four tries, and registered six putouts in left field. He hit .370 in 43 games, moving to Columbus and later Grand Rapids in the Western League after Chatham folded.

And lastly here is a photo in a Chicago Uniform. This would have been when Crawford was on the 1913 -14 World Tour. Can someone enlighten me as to who the other player would be? No one at the museum was aware. I figured someone here could give me the answer and then I could pass it along.

Thanks for reading my post!
Would love to see any Crawford items that you have in your collection.

Dave
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Connor
Connor

Default Great stuff

Great stuff.Nicely done. I have a duplicate m101-5 Sam Crawford if you are still interested pm me.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Fantastic thread. Dave, I admire your passion for collecting and the research.
These are my 2 favorite Crawford cards in my collection that I didn't make myself, Lol.
The image and color is exceptional on both--collecting on a tight budget can be challenging but without taking out a second mortgage, I'm happy with them!
After reading this thread, I'll be on the lookout for others!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan788.jpg (77.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Jan790.jpg (70.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-17-2020, 07:12 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Crawford was my first!

Really cool thread, thank you!

Sam Crawford T206 Throwing was my VERY 1st T206 card EVER! I was 12 years old, I studied my Monthly Trader Speaks like it was Homework (even better than homework! lol) I ordered my "Wahoo Sam" by sending a $17 check my mom wrote for me to ?? a little ad in there.........and about 2 weeks later! Voila! You'd have thought I had struck oil when I got that little envelope! It was amazing and I remember it like it was yesterday! Sadly, Mr. Crawford found another home during my college years but I'll never forget it! Thanks for this thread!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-17-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Really cool thread, thank you!

Sam Crawford T206 Throwing was my VERY 1st T206 card EVER! I was 12 years old, I studied my Monthly Trader Speaks like it was Homework (even better than homework! lol) I ordered my "Wahoo Sam" by sending a $17 check my mom wrote for me to ?? a little ad in there.........and about 2 weeks later! Voila! You'd have thought I had struck oil when I got that little envelope! It was amazing and I remember it like it was yesterday! Sadly, Mr. Crawford found another home during my college years but I'll never forget it! Thanks for this thread!

Peace, Mike
Fantastic! and btw...That's a nice way to kick off a T206 run!
Old 03-18-2020, 07:30 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Autograph

Here is my favorite Crawford item in my collection. Picked it up from a board member a couple years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crawford, Sam - Front.jpg (69.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Crawford, Sam - Back.jpg (75.0 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 07:13 AM
Chad

Thanks for sharing. I recently read The Glory of Their Times and really enjoyed Sam Crawfords story. I also have listen to his interview thanks to the post in this thread.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 AM
Dan Bretta

David, great snapshot!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Bob McLean

Killer thread topic! Thanks for all the replies folks, I remember selling a PSA 2 T-206 of Crawford at a show in Omaha about 20 years ago.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Ed McCollum

Default I had no idea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
I lived in Hannibal, Missouri all my life and it's the birth place and burial site of Hall of Famer Jake Beckley and this city doesn't care about this guy. It's all Mark Twain and Molly Brown.
They had a memorial dedicated in 1971 on Main Street where all the tourists are at and they moved it to Clemens Field which no one goes to so he's dumped on even more. The merchants can't make any money off him so who cares.
I lived in either Lincoln or Omaha from 1984 to just last May. Even non-fans knew about Wahoo Sam Crawford. But I was born and raised in Vandalia, Missouri, less than 30 miles from Hannibal (which was the closest “big city”) and never knew Jake Beckley was born there! Now that all my family is gone, doubt I make it back to the Vandalia/Mexico/Hannibal area again, but if I do, I’ll go out of my way to see the memorial at Clemons Field.

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 03-19-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Can’t spell
Old 03-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Bob Hamlin

Crawford E95 front.jpg
Old 03-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Ken Wirt

Great thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82. Sam Crawford.jpg (77.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blametony View Post
That’s exactly the interview I was referring to. Fantastic.
Here's a link to the full audio set of "The Glory of Their Times."

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Glory...ook/B002V59X4Q